[MTG] Hour of Devastation PreSpoiler Season spoilers

I expect that, like Embalm, they'll print token cards to represent Eternalized cards.

Also, "Eternal" itself seems to have a meaning relevant to Bolas' scheme, based on the flavor text of Khenra Eternal. And the fact that creatures with Eternalize turn into buffed BLACK zombies. And the creatures with "Eternal" in their name have Afflict.

They will, but it adds another level of memory issue to a mechanic that already had several. Before if you were just using the marker you needed to remember that 1) the color might have change, 2) it was now a zombie, 3) it has no CMC, 4) it goes into exile when it leaves play. The color change and not having a CMC didn't really matter (though with the color hate cards it might now) and just remembering to put it into exile is helped by the marker. The only major issue was them being zombies, but that only came up if you had zombie tribal stuff and even then only if you had the lords since that needs constant tracking as oppose to the cards that trigger on ETB. For the most part using the markers was a pretty clean way to playing Embalm if you didn't have the tokens. Now if you Eternalize something and don't have the token you have no point of reference to use since the printed card won't have the same stats (the most important part of the card).

I'd missed that. It makes more sense with that, but I still think its pretty dumb since the name and whats happening have a disconnect. Not to mention the eternal seem to be ancient zombies where as the stuff you're going to Eternalize are newly dead.

The Scorpion God is such a stupid name. The card itself is cool, i like it, but that's it? just "The Scorpion God"?

-------------------------------------

Side Thingy/Theory Here:

I think that, since we have the scorpion god, we will probably get 2 other gods (Almost certain that they are going to be B/G and B/U, With the green one probably being an insect god going off of the trailer and Fish God, i guess? whatever the thing in first few frames of the trailer is. [Also They will probably get stupid names like The Locust God and The Fish God.]).

I was reading the cards to my friend and when I got to him and read "The Scorpion God" he asked like twice for the name and when I was like, "it is really just 'The Scorpion God'" he was like bull, let me see. It does make sense that they'd not have names though. They've been forgotten and made into pawns for Bolas. It is weird, but makes sense.

I'm honestly expecting the 3 gods to be in Bolas' 3 2 color combos. So UB, BR, and UR.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I vaguely heard that there was an image of a locust-based god, which is most likely Black/Green. Otherwise, I also would have predicted the "corrupted" gods to be related to Bolas' Grixis colors. But if Black is going to be part of all of them, then Red/Black (Scorpion), Green/Black, and Blue/Black seems like the most obvious parallel. I don't foresee a White/Black one, in any case.

Still curious to see what other stuff is in the set before passing judgment on the mechanics of the one or two Eternalize cards we've gotten.

I vaguely heard that there was an image of a locust-based god, which is most likely Black/Green. Otherwise, I also would have predicted the "corrupted" gods to be related to Bolas' Grixis colors. But if Black is going to be part of all of them, then Red/Black (Scorpion), Green/Black, and Blue/Black seems like the most obvious parallel. I don't foresee a White/Black one, in any case.

Still curious to see what other stuff is in the set before passing judgment on the mechanics of the one or two Eternalize cards we've gotten.

Whole bunch of giant bug guys, kinda hinting to a locust god.

--------------------------------------

Back to The Scorpion God, I somehow didn't realize he is a legendary.

Any ideas of how to make commander?

Re: eternalize - I would've been perfectly fine with them ditching the P/T change and just have it be a reflavored embalm. Yeah, bastards gonna jabroni, but it seems a lot more straightforward to me to have that be the case. Unless they just wanted to push embalm even more, which means the costs will have to be bumped up even more and make the mechanic less Constructed-viable in turn. Bleh, we'll see how it all plays out later, I guess.

Hapatra, but with red instead of green. No infinite combo potential on your commander, but he's much more powerful alone imho. Kulrath Knight is an auto-include.

I honestly think Eternalize is enough similar to Embalm that we can criticize it for the stat change memory issues. Again, just imagine playing embalm and all of a sudden that stats on the creatures weren't what was printed on it, and how they change can range from +1/+0 to +3/+3. Like it wouldn't be AS bad if they were the only things like this in limited, but we're still going to have embalm creatures in the set.

I think the simplest way to go about it is to look at the Black and Red cards in Shadowmoor block, Scars block, and this block. Between the 3 as well as ways to more easily use his activated ability (Heartstone) you should have enough cards for a deck.

Hapatra, but with red instead of green. No infinite combo potential on your commander, but he's much more powerful alone imho. Kulrath Knight is an auto-include.

Thanks! 

Also Desolation Angel is an invocation

desolationangel.jpg

Meh, I'm not to familiar with this card, but i don't expect it to be worth too much.

Thanks! 

Also Desolation Angel is an invocation

desolationangel.jpg

Meh, I'm not to familiar with this card, but i don't expect it to be worth too much.

Don't forget the best nation Damnation.

damnation.jpg

But yea, Angel is a sub $1 rare. Perfect flavor fit, but not exciting. Stuff like this is why they've pulled back on the invocations. Though I honestly think they should have gone to less invocation across the board instead of none for certain sets.

I was seeing someone suggest the idea that the Eternalize token get's the power and toughness equal to the original card's cmc, which if that is true powers down the pouncer but at least gives you something to go off of if you use the marker on the card instead of the token without having to read the reminder text

I was seeing someone suggest the idea that the Eternalize token get's the power and toughness equal to the original card's cmc, which if that is true powers down the pouncer but at least gives you something to go off of if you use the marker on the card instead of the token without having to read the reminder text

That would be something, but in general I don't like the idea of cards not being knowable just by looking at the board. Maybe it won't be as bad as I'm thinking, but my gut tells me this isn't really a space they should play around in all that much.

Anyway, new card

en_hv4QCuB2vq.png

I'm curious if we will get a cycle of "Hours". There were four prophesied hours, as we can see on Throne of the God-Pharaoh. We have Revelation now, which is followed by Glory, Promise, and Eternity, so perhaps the fifth member of the cycle will in fact be Hour of Devastation? Will be interesting to see, if I am right, what the real one will do.

I would be pretty shocked at this point if we didn't get a cycle of Hours. Though I feel like they would all be story spotlight cards and I think they'd want to avoid having ALL of them as rares since the Hours not be rares will likely be disappointing for a number of people.

Anyway, a couple of new spoilers

supremewill.jpg

nomercy.jpg

Kind of figured the desert cycle would be completed

I'm just really liking Dreamstealer. I might find space for him in my EDH deck, especially if I can get a copy of Docent Of Perfection to Eternalize Stealer and transform Docent around the same time to get a 6/5 menace flying that discards 6 from your opponent's hand on a successful hit.

Kind of figured the desert cycle would be completed

I'm just really liking Dreamstealer. I might find space for him in my EDH deck, especially if I can get a copy of Docent Of Perfection to Eternalize Stealer and transform Docent around the same time to get a 6/5 menace flying that discards 6 from your opponent's hand on a successful hit.

I feel like when you've flipped Docent you don't really need the second half since thats 3 power flying menace which should eat most of someones hand by the time you have this online.

Anyway, more Invocations

diabolicedict.jpgforbid.jpgsunder.jpg

throughthebreach.jpgboil.jpgdoomsday.jpg

omniscience.jpg

And another card

sunsetpyramid.jpg

I like how Brick Counters have been reversed now, too. What can be built can also be destroyed. Very cool.

Agreed. I was curious when the brick counters weren't mentioned in the mechanics article, but figured since they were used to show things being built it wouldn't make much sense in a world all about destruction. However going backwards from 3 is a REALLY cool twist on the mechanic.

Anyway, last spoilers for the day.

threadsofdisloyalty.jpgarmageddon.jpgthoughtseize.jpg

Honestly, I'm sad we won't have any masterpieces in the next set. While I get that they have issues, I honestly think this set has done a great job with them to capture the feel of what is happening on the plane.

Honestly, I'm sad we won't have any masterpieces in the next set. While I get that they have issues, I honestly think this set has done a great job with them to capture the feel of what is happening on the plane.

I never looked at them like that. I just saw them at novelty for older players. I can get behind them more thinking that they add a level of intimacy with the events on the planes that the other cards lack, as I want to know more about the events on the planes. I haven't cared about the flavor much and I don't care about the sets that much barring a few cards. The older card masterpieces at least add some dimension of additional interest now to the set and the story.

I really like the Invocations for this set. A lot of the arts are fantastic, and I really enjoy the "theme" of destruction and power within the selected cards, particularly when it comes to something representing Bolas, like Omniscience and such. Almost all the cards seem really neat or powerful, even if they have costs and such to make them overall unusable.

I understand and agree that making Masterpieces for every set means they're likely to scrape the bottom of the barrel, not helped by them starting with LANDS, the single most important card type in the game. I appreciated the themes for later blocks, like Kaladesh block having artifacts and such, but it led even then to really...underwhelming cards. I pulled 2 Masterpieces. 1 in Kaladesh (Painter's Servant) and 1 in AER (Staff of Domination). Cool cards, but I was really upset with Staff because of how mediocre it is as a card. Servant at least had some weird niche role it could fulfill, but Staff's effects were costly and not very strong on their own.

These Invocations (and many of the Amonkhet ones), I would probably have been "happier" to pull, because those cards were more epic in a sense, and felt more playable to some extent. And these being so representative of the crazy sheet hitting the fan in the story just makes me more excited to see the story develop and other cards being revealed.

1 in Kaladesh (Painter's Servant) and 1 in AER (Staff of Domination). Cool cards, but I was really upset with Staff because of how mediocre it is as a card. Servant at least had some weird niche role it could fulfill, but Staff's effects were costly and not very strong on their own.

Sidebar, but... really? Staff being mediocre? It was banned from Commander's inception through Dragon's Maze, and was the format's combo wincon of choice early on. Even now it's still a potent addition to any deck that can generate arbitrarily large amounts of mana.

But yeah, I generally agree with your evaluation of the Invocations. MaRo said originally they planned on sticking with instants and sorceries, but ditched that to go with a more general theme of "awe-inspiring." Didn't work very cohesively in Amonkhet - who wanted Chain Lightning as a Masterpiece?! I think the theme was better expressed in Hour of Devastation, as having the unifying flavor of "Bolas wrecking sheet" really works.

Sidebar, but... really? Staff being mediocre? It was banned from Commander's inception through Dragon's Maze, and was the format's combo wincon of choice early on. Even now it's still a potent addition to any deck that can generate arbitrarily large amounts of mana.

But yeah, I generally agree with your evaluation of the Invocations. MaRo said originally they planned on sticking with instants and sorceries, but ditched that to go with a more general theme of "awe-inspiring." Didn't work very cohesively in Amonkhet - who wanted Chain Lightning as a Masterpiece?! I think the theme was better expressed in Hour of Devastation, as having the unifying flavor of "Bolas wrecking sheet" really works.

The power level on staff isn't immediately obvious.

And yea, the Invocations in Amonkhet had some cool ones, but it didn't have nearly the evocative feel that the Hour ones do. I wrote this on a Wedge video and I'll just copy/paste it here

"I'm super down for these invocations. Yes, it sucks that some of them are reprints of super cheap cards, but the old model was going to run into it. Even under the new one I'm certain we'll see some cheap super flavor win reprints. The ideal masterpiece card would be something with high price, high playability, limited printing, and awesome flavor and that is a SUPER hard target to it. Across the board I'd say that this set has enough hits and those that don't hit all those points are still DRIPPING with flavor and do an outstanding job capturing what is basically the death of the plane."

Archived