• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Flame Dragon

Flame Dragon

Ancient YCMer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,200 posts

Kind of figured the desert cycle would be completed

I'm just really liking Dreamstealer. I might find space for him in my EDH deck, especially if I can get a copy of Docent Of Perfection to Eternalize Stealer and transform Docent around the same time to get a 6/5 menace flying that discards 6 from your opponent's hand on a successful hit.

I feel like when you've flipped Docent you don't really need the second half since thats 3 power flying menace which should eat most of someones hand by the time you have this online.

Anyway, more Invocations

diabolicedict.jpgforbid.jpgsunder.jpg

throughthebreach.jpgboil.jpgdoomsday.jpg

omniscience.jpg

And another card

sunsetpyramid.jpg

If anyone is willing to trade me a HA Cranidos, HA Snover, HA Burmy and/or Shaymin in Gen 6 I'd be your best friend forever.

FC: 0989-1906-1912

sept_p10_02_4jkg1.jpgvqhz4l.jpg
charizard-megay.gifNw_Easter_Event9.png006-m.png

General Heinous

General Heinous

A candidate for humanity's sake

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts
  • Alias:Kano, Kanokarob

Doomsday and Omniscience invocations are pretty awesome.

I like how Brick Counters have been reversed now, too. What can be built can also be destroyed. Very cool.

Flame Dragon

Flame Dragon

Ancient YCMer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,200 posts

I like how Brick Counters have been reversed now, too. What can be built can also be destroyed. Very cool.

Agreed. I was curious when the brick counters weren't mentioned in the mechanics article, but figured since they were used to show things being built it wouldn't make much sense in a world all about destruction. However going backwards from 3 is a REALLY cool twist on the mechanic.

Anyway, last spoilers for the day.
threadsofdisloyalty.jpgarmageddon.jpgthoughtseize.jpg

Honestly, I'm sad we won't have any masterpieces in the next set. While I get that they have issues, I honestly think this set has done a great job with them to capture the feel of what is happening on the plane.
If anyone is willing to trade me a HA Cranidos, HA Snover, HA Burmy and/or Shaymin in Gen 6 I'd be your best friend forever.

Lord CowCow

Lord CowCow

cowstuff

• 𝔻Ө𐌋𐌋𝔸𝓡$
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,355 posts
  • Alias:Dae
  • Spouse:Catman

Honestly, I'm sad we won't have any masterpieces in the next set. While I get that they have issues, I honestly think this set has done a great job with them to capture the feel of what is happening on the plane.

I never looked at them like that. I just saw them at novelty for older players. I can get behind them more thinking that they add a level of intimacy with the events on the planes that the other cards lack, as I want to know more about the events on the planes. I haven't cared about the flavor much and I don't care about the sets that much barring a few cards. The older card masterpieces at least add some dimension of additional interest now to the set and the story.

Posted Image

NeoRWBY65

NeoRWBY65

Elite Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

well, that pyramid is a nice twist. It was already done but it is giving it's last magic as it gets destroyed

Sig

evilfusion

evilfusion

God-Pharaoh

• Super Moderators
  • 21,717 posts

I really like the Invocations for this set. A lot of the arts are fantastic, and I really enjoy the "theme" of destruction and power within the selected cards, particularly when it comes to something representing Bolas, like Omniscience and such. Almost all the cards seem really neat or powerful, even if they have costs and such to make them overall unusable.

I understand and agree that making Masterpieces for every set means they're likely to scrape the bottom of the barrel, not helped by them starting with LANDS, the single most important card type in the game. I appreciated the themes for later blocks, like Kaladesh block having artifacts and such, but it led even then to really...underwhelming cards. I pulled 2 Masterpieces. 1 in Kaladesh (Painter's Servant) and 1 in AER (Staff of Domination). Cool cards, but I was really upset with Staff because of how mediocre it is as a card. Servant at least had some weird niche role it could fulfill, but Staff's effects were costly and not very strong on their own.

These Invocations (and many of the Amonkhet ones), I would probably have been "happier" to pull, because those cards were more epic in a sense, and felt more playable to some extent. And these being so representative of the crazy shit hitting the fan in the story just makes me more excited to see the story develop and other cards being revealed.

Wiping out 500,000 LP on my second turn: Priceless.

Epic
Best Ragequit
Neo Galaxy-Eyes Hall of Fame
1zn9x09.jpg

In a perfect world we'd have 12 evilfusion's and the rest of us could retire.

「RINNE」

「RINNE」

went there, came back, got the t-shirt

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,547 posts
  • Alias:Rinne

1 in Kaladesh (Painter's Servant) and 1 in AER (Staff of Domination). Cool cards, but I was really upset with Staff because of how mediocre it is as a card. Servant at least had some weird niche role it could fulfill, but Staff's effects were costly and not very strong on their own.

Sidebar, but... really? Staff being mediocre? It was banned from Commander's inception through Dragon's Maze, and was the format's combo wincon of choice early on. Even now it's still a potent addition to any deck that can generate arbitrarily large amounts of mana.

But yeah, I generally agree with your evaluation of the Invocations. MaRo said originally they planned on sticking with instants and sorceries, but ditched that to go with a more general theme of "awe-inspiring." Didn't work very cohesively in Amonkhet - who wanted Chain Lightning as a Masterpiece?! I think the theme was better expressed in Hour of Devastation, as having the unifying flavor of "Bolas wrecking shit" really works.

「おいどうすんだよ」「もうどうだっていいや!」

dAx113Q.gif

edh decks • samut, voice of dissent • ephara, god of the polis • edgar markov

Flame Dragon

Flame Dragon

Ancient YCMer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,200 posts

Sidebar, but... really? Staff being mediocre? It was banned from Commander's inception through Dragon's Maze, and was the format's combo wincon of choice early on. Even now it's still a potent addition to any deck that can generate arbitrarily large amounts of mana.

But yeah, I generally agree with your evaluation of the Invocations. MaRo said originally they planned on sticking with instants and sorceries, but ditched that to go with a more general theme of "awe-inspiring." Didn't work very cohesively in Amonkhet - who wanted Chain Lightning as a Masterpiece?! I think the theme was better expressed in Hour of Devastation, as having the unifying flavor of "Bolas wrecking shit" really works.

The power level on staff isn't immediately obvious.

And yea, the Invocations in Amonkhet had some cool ones, but it didn't have nearly the evocative feel that the Hour ones do. I wrote this on a Wedge video and I'll just copy/paste it here
"I'm super down for these invocations. Yes, it sucks that some of them are reprints of super cheap cards, but the old model was going to run into it. Even under the new one I'm certain we'll see some cheap super flavor win reprints. The ideal masterpiece card would be something with high price, high playability, limited printing, and awesome flavor and that is a SUPER hard target to it. Across the board I'd say that this set has enough hits and those that don't hit all those points are still DRIPPING with flavor and do an outstanding job capturing what is basically the death of the plane."

NeoRWBY65

NeoRWBY65

Elite Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

WE'VE GOT THE SCARAB

thescarabgod.jpg

Sig

Tesability Black

Tesability Black

Rawr!

• The Last NetMonster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

...dammit, dammit, now I need to play me this as a commander...

'grabby-hands the Scarab God'

「RINNE」

「RINNE」

went there, came back, got the t-shirt

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,547 posts
  • Alias:Rinne
Let's take discussion on the Scarab God to the other thread. That was my intent in keeping spoilers to their appropriate section, so we don't get lost in the lurch.

「おいどうすんだよ」「もうどうだっていいや!」

dAx113Q.gif

edh decks • samut, voice of dissent • ephara, god of the polis • edgar markov

Forest Fire

Forest Fire

Some men just want to watch the world burn at their feet

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
i redact my previous comment and will instead complain on the week one spoilers page.

Sakura's Christmas present and Award.

<3

That one time a magic deck dealt 113 damage in one turn

uPgXr7k.jpg

The Emperor is given to those who are key in being influential to their surroundings as a male figure. They are also associated with affinities of dominance and control, yet have other qualities about them that are needed to be in control, despite their disposition.

NeoRWBY65

NeoRWBY65

Elite Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

......I'm sorry. I forget where I was when I saw the scarab

Sig

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users