The Journey Continues: Adventurer Deck part 2

BGMaxie

Greetings people. I've decided enough time has passed to support the Adventurer Deck I had started developing months ago. Details here https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/363374-lets-go-on-a-journey-together-adventurer-deck/ Given this Deck is meant to feel like a protagonist Deck, it progresses along with how much (in this case) Yusaku's Deck develops as well. I mean we have Circuit Break AND Cyberse Link for ample card selection and as such it is fair I do the same.

I mean part 1 started pretty basic and simple. But this time around we are increasing the bets with much more numerous and solid options at disposal. Believe me laddies, the support that I bring here is very very powerful and makes the most of Link Summon in many different ways, do pay attention as our Adventure continues with a stronger party than before!

[spoiler=The Party]

Xc2Ceuj.png

If you control another "Adventurer" card, this card gains 500 ATK. You can only use each of the following effects of this card's name once per turn. If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can add 1 "Adventurer" monster from your Deck to your hand. If this card is sent to the GY: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Adventurer" monster from your hand.

Note: Your basic search on summon, nothing much to say on that aspect. Except his next gimmick is one you should be paying attention to. Once it is sent to the GY you can SS one low Level Adventurer from your hand! That is just letting you go at mach 3 from the start. Combine his search effs with other Adventurers to profit the most from Link Summon and keep your hand loaded with ammo to do so. It has a small ATK boost in case you need one.

tS5AlkQ.png

If you control another "Adventurer" card, this card gains 500 ATK. You can only use each of the following effects of this card's name once per turn. If this card is added to your hand (either by drawing it or by card effect): You can Special Summon this card. If this card is Normal or Special Summoned, except by her own effect: You can add 1 "Adventurer" Spell/Trap card from your Deck to your hand. 

Note: Same deal as in Rookie Boy except she searches backrow. She comes packed with an ability to SS herself from the hand the moment it is added to your hand (through any means). That's just nice and a pretty neat way to get her on the field. Unfortunately this won't get her to search (for balancing purposes) but that doesn't mean she's doomed. You can combo her search eff with Rookie Boy's SS effect, so in other words if you can spam, you will be rewarded with awesome prizes. Go crazy in your adventure as it becomes even more exciting!

H5WVv0Y.png

If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can banish 1 Level 4 or lower "Adventurer" monster from your Deck. Then if this card leaves the field; Special Summon the monster banished by this card's effect. You can only use this card's name effect once per turn. Once per turn: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; until the start of your opponent's next Main Phase 2, that monster cannot declare an attack, also, its effects are negated.

Note: One more in the long list of "Jobs" from "you know which series" (won't spoil, figure out by yourself ;) .) This card has a Serene Witch esque effect, once he's summoned you can banish 1 Adventurer, then when this guy kisses the GY you get that banished monster to your field. Pretty nice eh? If you can get your Link Summons going then this will keep the engine running (with a delay as per his time based abilities). His second eff is nothing to laugh at, it can prevent an opponent's monster from temporarily doing very much anything other than removing itself or changing positions, a powerful magical ability to slow down the opponent, what else could you ask for?

XqZk4fn.png

If there is a Link Monster on the field, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand.) Once per turn, you can activate 1 of the following effects.
*Target 1 monster on the field; change it to an adjacent Monster Zone.
*Send 1 other "Adventurer" card from your hand or side of the field to the GY, then target 1 card on the field; destroy it.

Note: Another "Job" and this one lives up to his name. If there is a Link Monster he can SS from the hand, basically following behind so to speak and it carries two powerful effs his arrows allow him to. He can either shoot an arrow to force you to move or he can shot an arrow directly at you!! Being able to relocate monsters will no doubt be a useful effect in this era, and destroying is always useful as well. This guy won't disappoint I assure you that.

[spoiler=The Resources]

bLK9ez8.png

Reveal 1 Link 4 or lower "Hero of" Link Monster from your Extra Deck; send from your hand or side of the field to the GY the Link Materials needed to Link Summon that monster and Special Summon that Link Monster from your Extra Deck (this Special Summon is treated as a Link Summon.) You can also shuffle "Adventurer" monsters in your GY into the Deck to Special Summon that monster. You can only activate 1 "Oath of the Heroes" per turn.

Note: Of course no Adventure is complete without the proper items/equips and we have one here. This card allows you to Link Summon one of the Deck's signature bosses by using monsters from your Hand or Field!! Very much like if you were to Fusion Summon. But that's not all, you can also use Adventurer monsters in your GY by recycling them at the same time!! This very useful if you cannot get those monsters out of the GY or you want to exploit the most of whatever your hand or field can already do. This card packs a solid punch and wait until you see what else it can summon. I assure you Hero of Light won't be alone as the artwork can tell you.

E763gxv.png

"Adventurer" monsters you control gain 300 ATK and DEF. Once per turn, if an "Adventurer" card you control would be destroyed by battle or by card effect, you can destroy 1 other "Adventurer" monster instead. Once per turn, during your End Phase: You can add 1 "Adventurer" monster from your Deck to your hand.

Note: No adventure can possibly go without a place where mercenaries gather to form parties, chat, exchange info, or heck even just get a job or quest. Gathering place makes sure you can start your journey in a comfortable way. It starts with a small boost in stats, followed by a small protection effect (yes it can protect itself), and finally a search effect. It works in the EP but it works at the end of ALL of your turns!! That's amazing, as it helps you prepare for the next round, things are bound to be very bountiful, ain't it?

EIcWzop.png

Equip only to an "Adventurer" monster whose original DEF is 900 or less. It can attack your opponent directly, also the equipped monster cannot be targeted for attacks.

Note: We need Equips for our adventure and here we have a Bow. This weapon allows our otherwise less powerful monsters earn a safe zone of their own while allowing them to pack a solid punch. Being able to attack directly while the opponent can't touch you is fantastic. This is inspired by the Row system, where the units at the back can become untouchable or (when using a bow) can attack with full force while getting reduced damage. Not a totally necessary tool, but one that provides other gameplay options, that mind you, can end the game.

XhdAFT4.png

Target 3 "Adventurer" monsters in your GY: add 1 of them to your hand, then shuffle the rest back into the Deck. You can only activate 1 "Adventurer's Item - Healing Potion" per turn.

Note: No Adventure is complete without healing items and we have one here. It allows us to re-fetch one of our monsters from the GY and shuffle others back to the Deck. Very simple, it is meant to make sure you have your guys with you. If you can exploit this and Warrior's effect, you're in for some nice fiesta.

rZ6pmKb.png

If an "Adventurer" monster you control is destroyed by battle or by card effect: You can Special Summon 2 "Adventurer Troop Tokens"  (Warrior/EARTH/Level 1/ATK 300/DEF 300). Those Tokens cannot be destroyed by card effects and you take no battle damage as a result of battle with those Tokens.

Note: So much Green around, so we need some Pink in our lives. This Trap is a useful backup card. The moment your Adventurers are met with opposition, you increase your resistance with even more numbers!! What's more those Tokens can only be destroyed by battle and you take NO damage from their struggle. In other words you either get some solid defenses or some setup for later.

[spoiler=The Leaders]

4DVvzEY.png

2+ Effect Monsters
Your opponent cannot target this card with card effects that do not destroy it. At the start of the Damage Step, if this card attacks an opponent's monster with higher ATK than this card: You can make this card gain 1000 ATK, until the end of the Battle Phase. If this card or a monster this card points to battles, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step. If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle; all monsters your opponent currently controls lose 500 ATK. 

Note: I guess you know who this guy is right? Anyway this man doesn't like to mess around. He comes here to do a job and he will get the job done. Unless you destroy him, card effects are meaningless. This allows for his violence to run rampant as he is not afraid to take on foes stronger than himself, in fact it increases his bloodlust 1000-fold. When contaminated by his desire for battle nothing stands in his way, quite literally so (and the same applies to those that follow him), and when he pulverizes opposition, it just leaves the receiving party with a decrease of morale that takes its toll on the troops. This guy is a total brute of indiscriminate power. He's not afraid to use his power, whereas his companion is about supporting his comrades and working together, this one is all about going ahead and let hell run loose afterwards.

lJLf2aJ.png
2+ Effect Monsters
If this card or a monster it points to, attacks an opponent's monster: You can activate this effect; neither monster is destroyed as a result of that battle, also at the end of the Damage Step, that opponent's monster ATK and DEF becomes half its current ATK and DEF and its effects are negated. These changes last until the end of the turn.

Note: Here we bring on quite a unique boss. Once this monster or those he's teamed up with battle an opp's monster, he can negate their destruction, but will leave them severely weakened. Try again and again (if you can) and  you will trounce over the most fearsome of foes!! This is one warrior you don't wanna mess with, as his abilities make sure you can break through the obstacles placed on you. (Name changed to "Adventurer Hero of Crystal")

7jFYu6q.png
2+ Monsters, including at least 1 "Adventurer" monster
You can also Link Summon this card as a Link 2 Link Monster, but if you do, select 1 of its Link Arrows, while this card is face-up on the field, that Link Arrows cannot be used. Once per turn: You can inflict 400 damage to your opponent for each monster this card points to, and if you do, monsters your opponent controls lose 300 ATK for each monster this card points to, until the end of this turn.

Note: Your eyes are not deceiving you. If you identify this woman then yes, it is "her" we're talking about. What's she doing here? You may ask. Turns out that she is part of a collab from one game of the series this Deck is based on, and while I'm not truly a fan (barely listened to her) I found the idea amusing and so, here she is in Adventurer form. As a Link monster she has some interesting abilities, namely that of being Link Summoned as a Link 2 monster, but at the cost of becoming one (Arrow included). However if you need some fast push, she's ready to give you one. She can inflict damage and debilitate your opponent's all in one tiny pack (yes it sounds like Tricksters but hers isn't continuous and the amount of both Burn and ATK reduction is a big shot at once, rather than a few small ones, so it sets her apart). Let her magical voice shake the dueling world!!

PDSYMMU.png
2 "Adventurer" monsters
Once per turn if this card or a monster this card points to, inflicts damage to your opponent: You can Special Summon 1 "Adventurer Hack Token" (Warrior/EARTH/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0). Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can target 1 "Adventurer" monster you control, and if it attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent.

Note: Very basic monster but not one you should underestimate. This girl can synchronize (NO, not the mechanic) with her peers and upon inflicting damage it spawns a token. What you can do with it is up to you, but it serves to speed your Links or otherwise fuel Archer's effect. One way or the other, this girl will help you keep your game up. Piecing added to increase usefulness.

That's it for now, and man, we sure came loaded this time. Hope you like how the party develops ;)

UPDATE: Some cards have been modified.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, apologies for the really late review. No excuses should get me through a delay of this magnitude.

Rookie Boy gives some basic bonus ATK, not much on its own, but combines nicely with the other ATK boosting effects within the archetype. Both of the secondary effects having HOPT makes them not too powerful, despite their usefulness. Great card.

Same deal with the ATK boosting with Rookie Girl, and speed combined with the searching really makes this card another must. Ignore the first Adventurers, these two are must haves in the Adventurer deck, considering how simply they search. The originals mostly focused on summoning, not searching, and while these cards fill that niche, the simply amount of cards at the player's disposalNo forces them to build their own party, as it were, which would be a great flavour touch if not for the fact that these cards are simply purely good.

No need for then on Mage, although the effect should probably say "leaves the field" or something similar, as then it gets really weird of the card is sent from your hand to the GY after activating its effect and being returned to the hand. Secondary effect seems a bit strong, as it really hurts your opponent's next turn should you be unable to remove said monster. but since it's not quick, I guess it's fine.

Archer's speed and relocation is very nice for Link monsters, but the destruction seems a tad strong for one reason only: You can SS it, move a monster for w/e reason, then send itself to the GY in order to pop a card on the field. Seems to do a lot for one card, especially with no HOPT of any sort. The problem isn't the fact that it can do that, but the fact that it has no restrictions. One could say "Adventurer" on the last effect, but since it can send itself, it is a generic anti-Link tech. Then again, targeting destruction isn't a big deal. It would probably not do much to adjust the meta. A little spooky, but prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrobs fine.

I think Oath should reveal as a cost, to give your opponent more information to decide how to counter it. I mean, if they respond by nuking your field but you still have two monsters in your hand, you can Summon your Plan B Link 2 monster still. Even if you have monsters in your GY, this give your opponent at least the chance to limit you.

Nice for the archetype to have a field spell with Gathering. Protection and slow searching. Perhaps not a must have, but with the boost, it would certainly be something to run in the more beatdown variant of the archetype.

Attack bow provides some nice LP protection, and actually makes summoning 1 weak monster a viable play, especially with Rookie Girl. Good card, not much to say. Seem flavourful too.

Healing potion seemss great, giving your opponent some warning in advance, but allowing you to have 2 other options should they banish your Plan A. And as this Deck is not GY oriented, shuffling into the Deck isn't that painful. But it seems to do a tad to little. I would suggest giving it a GY effect to add into the theme of healing, as you need 3 viable targets before it is even functional. These simple S/T are pretty interesting.

Front would be really weak, but...Link monsters. What fun. Now it's only moderately weak, only working on destruction, and only at destruction, meaning the card is only useful half the time, and not useful against OTKs with non-targeting removal. I mean, you have Lunalight Dance (or whatever its called) which gives too searchers on a destruction, and even that isn't played that much. I mean, it is a pretty flavourful card, but I don't see a way of buffing it without making it an extremely powerful niche card, and the niche card will still hurt it.

Why such specific protection on Darkness? I mean, considering how generic it is, "cannot be targeted" plain might be a strong. Other than that, you have a lot of battle effects, with ATK gain, UTL blanket protection on multiple cards and ATK loss, but I feel that the genericness hurts it. I mean, yes, this archetype does like its battle effects, but couldn't you tie it a little more to the archetype in some way? Again, while this card does have the same name as the archetype, what is prevent anyone from easily using this boss as a LINK format alternative to UTL, with so many effects given to anyone who uses it in any deck?

Light Crystal isn't LIGHT XD Same generic complaint as a buff, and you could probably simply add a bonus effect to tie into Adventurers, as its current effect doesn't do too much for a Link 3. Really like the focus on battle, though.

Singer synergizes well with hacker, only suggestion is to buff the damage a little, along with the ATK loss, as the card is a tad weak as it is, even without HOPT. Alternate method of getting it out would be neat, but I wish that it had different Link Arrows to Hacker to give this card a reason to get out first.

Hacker is an easy card to get out, which provides rapid fuel. Unfortunately, I see a Cannon Soldier OTK, so that might be a potential problem. Obscure, yes, hard to pull off, perhaps, but that's just something to keep in mind. Hopefully someone else will be able to give their opinion on this.

While the support of the last archetype was pretty prominent, the battle effects of these cards really cover most of the bases. While there are a lot of cards, that gives your player more choice as to how to play them, trying to find their balance between battle and speed.

First off, apologies for the really late review. No excuses should get me through a delay of this magnitude.

Rookie Boy gives some basic bonus ATK, not much on its own, but combines nicely with the other ATK boosting effects within the archetype. Both of the secondary effects having HOPT makes them not too powerful, despite their usefulness. Great card.

Same deal with the ATK boosting with Rookie Girl, and speed combined with the searching really makes this card another must. Ignore the first Adventurers, these two are must haves in the Adventurer deck, considering how simply they search. The originals mostly focused on summoning, not searching, and while these cards fill that niche, the simply amount of cards at the player's disposalNo forces them to build their own party, as it were, which would be a great flavour touch if not for the fact that these cards are simply purely good.

No need for then on Mage, although the effect should probably say "leaves the field" or something similar, as then it gets really weird of the card is sent from your hand to the GY after activating its effect and being returned to the hand. Secondary effect seems a bit strong, as it really hurts your opponent's next turn should you be unable to remove said monster. but since it's not quick, I guess it's fine.

Archer's speed and relocation is very nice for Link monsters, but the destruction seems a tad strong for one reason only: You can SS it, move a monster for w/e reason, then send itself to the GY in order to pop a card on the field. Seems to do a lot for one card, especially with no HOPT of any sort. The problem isn't the fact that it can do that, but the fact that it has no restrictions. One could say "Adventurer" on the last effect, but since it can send itself, it is a generic anti-Link tech. Then again, targeting destruction isn't a big deal. It would probably not do much to adjust the meta. A little spooky, but prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrobs fine.

I think Oath should reveal as a cost, to give your opponent more information to decide how to counter it. I mean, if they respond by nuking your field but you still have two monsters in your hand, you can Summon your Plan B Link 2 monster still. Even if you have monsters in your GY, this give your opponent at least the chance to limit you.

Nice for the archetype to have a field spell with Gathering. Protection and slow searching. Perhaps not a must have, but with the boost, it would certainly be something to run in the more beatdown variant of the archetype.

Attack bow provides some nice LP protection, and actually makes summoning 1 weak monster a viable play, especially with Rookie Girl. Good card, not much to say. Seem flavourful too.

Healing potion seemss great, giving your opponent some warning in advance, but allowing you to have 2 other options should they banish your Plan A. And as this Deck is not GY oriented, shuffling into the Deck isn't that painful. But it seems to do a tad to little. I would suggest giving it a GY effect to add into the theme of healing, as you need 3 viable targets before it is even functional. These simple S/T are pretty interesting.

Front would be really weak, but...Link monsters. What fun. Now it's only moderately weak, only working on destruction, and only at destruction, meaning the card is only useful half the time, and not useful against OTKs with non-targeting removal. I mean, you have Lunalight Dance (or whatever its called) which gives too searchers on a destruction, and even that isn't played that much. I mean, it is a pretty flavourful card, but I don't see a way of buffing it without making it an extremely powerful niche card, and the niche card will still hurt it.

Why such specific protection on Darkness? I mean, considering how generic it is, "cannot be targeted" plain might be a strong. Other than that, you have a lot of battle effects, with ATK gain, UTL blanket protection on multiple cards and ATK loss, but I feel that the genericness hurts it. I mean, yes, this archetype does like its battle effects, but couldn't you tie it a little more to the archetype in some way? Again, while this card does have the same name as the archetype, what is prevent anyone from easily using this boss as a LINK format alternative to UTL, with so many effects given to anyone who uses it in any deck?

Light Crystal isn't LIGHT XD Same generic complaint as a buff, and you could probably simply add a bonus effect to tie into Adventurers, as its current effect doesn't do too much for a Link 3. Really like the focus on battle, though.

Singer synergizes well with hacker, only suggestion is to buff the damage a little, along with the ATK loss, as the card is a tad weak as it is, even without HOPT. Alternate method of getting it out would be neat, but I wish that it had different Link Arrows to Hacker to give this card a reason to get out first.

Hacker is an easy card to get out, which provides rapid fuel. Unfortunately, I see a Cannon Soldier OTK, so that might be a potential problem. Obscure, yes, hard to pull off, perhaps, but that's just something to keep in mind. Hopefully someone else will be able to give their opinion on this.

While the support of the last archetype was pretty prominent, the battle effects of these cards really cover most of the bases. While there are a lot of cards, that gives your player more choice as to how to play them, trying to find their balance between battle and speed.

Are you really 12 years old tho? '-'

1) Thanks.

2) Well, what can I say. Every Job starts from basic, same the parties I guess :P

3) Time Mage has been modified slightly to prevent looping with himself and it now has "leaves the field" as a condition. Negator can remain as it is, since 1400 ATK is not difficult to run over also it means to be a play of the Slow/Stop spells that last for a while but keep you in check meanwhile.

4) Archer has been modified. It was never my intention that he could send himself off for the pop, it went unnoticed '-', also its effect works as in choose one of them per turn, not do both per turn just in case it wasn't clear.

5) I think it did that with the ";" not the semi-colon has been moved before the "send" part so that should denote the cost. That being said I'm not sure this is entirely correct, PSCT is tricky after all.

6) I was debating whether to add or not, I mean those stat boosting effs on Field are common but at the same time field mundane. I'll rethink it just in case but for the most part the field does the job it is meant to do.

7) It has some flavour associated with it, mostly the Row change system found in some titles. Basically those at the front row take and inflict full damage from physical attacks, those at the back row (yes irony of term coinciding with YGO) take half and inflict half...........most but not all of the time. Users of long range weapons (like Bows, Boomerangs, Spears even) can inflict full damage from the back while taking minimal damage from physical attacks and that is what this card is meant to represent (in FF2 those at the back cannot be attack but can attack, although there is some drawback associated too but nothing to be concerned here). Since not all Jobs can (or should) equip Bows the DEF restriction is placed to make that stick and to make some Main Deck stunts possible over Link.

8) I thought about it too, but then again this is a very very basic Heal Item so it does a basic job. There will be other items with more intricate conditions and stronger effects, which is why this one is meant to be simple so as to reflect that on further, more advanced pots.

9) Think of it as a Cyberse Beacon esque card. I didn't want to add on more searching so it wouldn't be boring not to mention to copy-ish. Then Tokens occurred to me and well, decided to add them a few gimmicks to make them more unique, and potentially make "activate upon the last monster being off'd" or otherwise save your own skin much better (I mean Piercing is common too '-').

10) It is somewhat flavourful yes so that Hero of Light can defeat it. As for its genericness, that is on purpose and goes in line with having a Deck that feels like a "main character Deck". I mean assets like Firewall, Topologic, Code Talkers and Varrel Load are all generic and that's more or less the standard for main character Bosses (theoretically you can use DM, Neos, Stardust, Utopia, Odd-Eyes in any Deck, whether that is good or not is a different matter). And that's kind of the purpose of those cards since they are meant to be major sales-points. Also due to them being Adventurers they get in-deck support through Oath and a few other cards, which counts. Nothing stops you from using both in any Deck, true, but whether that will really work well or not, is to be seen. At least with Oath, Adventurers have the advantage with these guys.

11) Yes, after debating and thinking in some ideas for future release, I've decided to just go with "Hero of Crystal" for now. When new things come the name change will make sense. As for the effect, well it was meant to serve as a stand-in and equivalent of Decode Talker and to a lesser extent Encode Talker too. Both monsters require other monsters to work properly and this Boss reflects that in a different way. I mean you can ram this into an opp's monster yourself but sans being able to inflict a bit more of damage on a monster that you can already defeat, it will need some help to get the job done.

12) Damage and Burn have both been increased by 100, which should be enough given that in the multiplicative sense it accumulates. I feel you about the Arrows but they are placed this way so as to maximize her usage. I mean given the way she's made like she is there for support so based on that having an Arrow pointing downwards doesn't cut it and Top-Left and Top-Right are still no-no (although German guides state an Extra Link can only be done with an U, Japan has been vague about this so I'm being careful with this) so the current markers work best. The "Fast Summon" thing is meant to make her usable easier, either as a fodder to be revived later or by making it easier to build Chain Summons to use her. 

13) Not sure I see the OTK............I try and do not see it. Anyway I gave her piercing ability so she's more worth using than just plain fodder.

Battle effects are a common thing for anime Decks I guess. I mean they are easy to use and understand and are the cheapest way to help you overcome obstacles, not to mention also the kind that can be stopped through a handful of cards so while a bit repetitive, it never gets to the point they are useless.

Archived