Gattaca

Shradow

Gataca_Movie_Poster_B.jpg

Gattaca presents a biopunk vision of a future society driven by eugenics where potential children are conceived through genetic manipulation to ensure they possess the best hereditary traits of their parents. The film centers on Vincent Freeman, who was conceived outside the eugenics program and struggles to overcome genetic discrimination to realize his dream of traveling into space.

The movie draws on concerns over reproductive technologies which facilitate eugenics, and the possible consequences of such technological developments for society. It also explores the idea of destiny and the ways in which it can and does govern lives. Characters in Gattaca continually battle both with society and with themselves to find their place in the world and who they are destined to be according to their genes.

The film's title is based on the first letters of guanine, adenine, thymine, and cytosine, the four nucleobases of DNA.

I first saw this film in high school, in a biology class. I've watched it many times since and I thoroughly enjoy it. I don't know if anyone here has seen it, it was sort of a cult hit, but if you haven't I would strongly recommend it. It's a very smart sci-fi film, and incredibly interesting to watch.

I've seen this movie, oddly enough, also in high school biology class. Biology teachers probably have a thing for this movie. I can't blame them, it was really enjoyable and thought provoking.

The film's title is based on the first letters of guanine, adenine, thymine, and cytosine, the four nucleobases of DNA.

I never realized this until now.

Archived