[2700 Posts] Thought Ruler Archfiend

Thought Ruler Archfiend

DARK - Level 8 - Psychic/Synchro/Effect - 2700/2300

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

If this card destroys a monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard, increase your Life Points by the destroyed monster's original ATK in the Graveyard. During either player's turn, if a Spell/Trap Card is activated that targets 1 Psychic-Type monster (and no other cards): You can pay 1000 LP, and if you do, destroy it.

While not exactly relevant nowadays, it had decent protection for its time, a relatively high statline for your garden variety generic Synchro 8, and a way to recoup precious LP in hungry, hungry Psychic Decks. Discuss?

Well, it can shrug off that Paleozoic Dinomischus but otherwise it's pretty crept. Life Points don't often matter until the field is won, and if they do it's because you chipped away at your opponent's rather than the reverse which more or less delays the inevitable wherever you'd need more than 8000. PSY-Framelord Omega being a Level 8 Psychic-Type generic Synchro did not help this card's case. 

I like it a lot more than PSY-Framelord Omega occasionally, although that is mostly due to it being the first Ultra Rare I ever got from a pack and pretty much the only reason I became a fan of Psychics.

If it could negate targeting Monster effects as well, it would be a much better card, as targeting monster effects are far more common than targeting Spells/Traps.

I liked this card. And I still do. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to agree that it hasn't aged well. Especially when there's better targeting protection, negation, and overall negation out there, as well as bigger Synchro bodies. The Life Point gain effect is a nice touch though; even with the existence of Pendulum. Also, you could use it to recover from using a Solemn card or something like that. But that's really if you can afford bringing this out.

Archived