[Written] More U.A. cards!

eskimoprime3

Hello all! This is my first post to YCM so bear with me if I make any mistakes :p

So U.A.'s are one of my favorite archetypes. I just love how the playstyle makes so much sense with the design of the cards themselves. Each card actually makes sense as to what its purpose is in the deck. The deck has some very powerful cards in it and has some pretty good plays, but gets shut down easily and is inconsistent. I created 7 new cards for them to round up their roster and make them more competitive. I also have scripted all of these cards in YGOPro and they playtest really well!

U.A. Swift Supporter

Lv4/EARTH/Warrior/Effect

800/1600

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by returning 1 "U.A." monster you control to the hand, except "U.A. Swift Supporter". You can only Special Summon "U.A. Swift Supporter" once per turn this way. If this card is returned from the field to your hand: You can Special Summon this card. You can only use this effect of "U.A. Swift Supporter" once per turn.

What U.A.'s really need is another Lv4 monster. There's just too much in the deck relying on getting to Midfielder as fast as possible. Their other problem is getting more than one monster out per turn. I initially had him as a double summoner, but that combined with the field was just too much, so he can re-summon himself when he's tagged out.

U.A. Defensive Lineman

Lv8/EARTH/Warrior/Effect

1300/2600

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by returning 1 "U.A." monster you control to the hand, except "U.A. Defensive Lineman". You can only Special Summon "U.A. Defensive Lineman" once per turn this way. Each player can only Special Summon monsters from their Extra Deck once per turn.

Including my first creation, there are two U.A.'s for each level 4-8, one offensive and one defensive, except for the lv8 defense, so here we go. Decided to go with a Winda effect on this one. Little easier to get out than Winda, but doesn't have the built in protection. Only useful against certain decks as well.

U.A. Homefield Advantage

Spell/Continuous

Each time a "U.A." monster(s) is Special Summoned to your side of the field from your hand, place 1 Cheer Counter on this card. "U.A." monsters you control gain 100 ATK and DEF for each Cheer Counter on this card. During your opponent's End Phase, remove all Cheer Counters from this card, and if you do, gain 300 LP for each. You can banish this card from your Graveyard; add 1 "U.A." Trap Card from your Deck to your hand.

There's the field spell to boost attack, but nothing to boost defense, so voila. Initially, this card was insane when it built up too many counters, so I added in a way to clear it each turn, and gain a little life because why not. Their continuous trap has a graveyard search for a spell, so I went with the flow and gave their continuous spell a graveyard search for a trap.

U.A. Counter Play

Trap

Target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls. Special Summon 1 "U.A." monster from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard with the same level as that target.

Basically, A Rival Appears but for U.A.'s, and can summon from anywhere. Another way to get U.A.'s out, but with less drawbacks but limited choice compared to Signing Deal.

U.A. Evasive Maneuver

Trap/Counter

When a Spell/Trap Card, or monster effect, is activated: return 1 face-up "U.A." monster you control to the hand; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card.

Infernity Barrier/Stellarnova Alpha but for U.A.'s. They have little to nothing that they can stop during your turn, and this will help alleviate that.

U.A. Fearless Enforcer

Lv9/EARTH/Warrior/Fusion/Effect

3000/800

2 "U.A." monsters

Must be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by shuffling the above cards you control into the Main Deck (You do not use "Polymerization"), and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. When this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field; destroy that target. Once per turn, when your opponent activates a Spell/Trap Card during your Battle Phase: You can negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it. If this card leaves the field: You can Special Summon 1 "U.A." monster from your Deck.

Summoned by contact fusion like Gladiator Beasts, since they have a similar playstyle. I pretty much HAVE to make them Nomi if I include the last effect, otherwise he could just bring out Rival Rebounder, which brings him right back. I also specify that the monsters have to be shuffled into the main deck, because using the fusions to summon other fusions just got kind of insane. I thought about making him a combination between Mighty Slugger and Dreadnaught Dunker, but that just takes out strategy as there would be no deciding in whether to bring this guy out or not. I decided to have the last clause be when he leaves the field rather than on destruction because A) almost guaranteed you won't lose advantage and B) it would make him counterintuitive to use with Turnover Tactics otherwise.

U.A. Staunch Defender

Lv9/EARTH/Warrior/Fusion/Effect

800/3000

2 "U.A." monsters

Must be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by shuffling the above cards you control into the Main Deck (You do not use "Polymerization"), and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. When this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 "U.A." card in your Graveyard; add that target to your hand. "U.A." cards you control cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects. If this card leaves the field: You can Special Summon 1 "U.A." monster from your Deck.

Same summoning mechanics as Fearless Enforcer, along with the replacing when he leaves the field. This one offers blanket protection to all of your U.A. cards from being targeted, which is huge for this deck. Where Fearless Enforcer provides instant advantage by blowing up a card, this guy takes the opposite stance and recovers a card.

So that rounds up my support. They now have an offensive and a defensive for each level 4-9, and one of each kind of Spell/Trap. (minus ritual)

Again, I have all these scripted into YGOPro, so if anyone else wants to playtest them out, let me know and I'll get you the scripts.

EDIT 1: Added ATK/DEF of fusions, because I somehow forgot them, also increased Homefield Advantage LP gain from 100 to 300 per counter.

EDIT 2: Changed the fusions' last effect to IF instead of WHEN. That effect was added so that Turnover Tactics isn't counterintuitive when they are on the field, but they ended up missing the timing anyways, so yeah. Fixed.

You're missing the ATK/DEF on the Fusions, but yeah, U.A. need a lot more support to even work.

Supporter

You're right about them needing another Level 4 or some way of getting field fodder, and this does what it needs to; provide more ways to get stuff out and another low Level you can sit on. I literally don't know why Konami lacked the foresight to at least give them more outside Midfielder / Signing Deal and the like. 

Lineman

Can't argue with ED locking, because yeah, it has gotten to the point where nearly all Decks do this [even in Link format, which was SUPPOSEDLY made to slow down things; don't quote me on this.]. (That being said, it locks you from spamming both Fusions, but given their speed, I only foresee you summoning one per turn, so it won't matter much). Yeah, we got True Kings and Monarchs (or w/e doesn't use the ED much), but they're another story. 

Advantage

Mostly used to grab Penalty Box and the new stuff. Minor boosts and stuff aren't really relevant, but still something you can search. I think you can boost the LP gain a bit more; need to recover some of the LP you lose off Signing and stuff.

Counter Play

This really should've been given to U.A. in the first place or at least as legacy support, but yeah, it's here now. Being limited by choice sucks, but you're guaranteed to at least get SOMETHING (well, assuming you're not dealing with PKs, Paleozoic or something). Right now, it would probably amount to Midfielder/Supporter or something, as I don't see a lot of Level 5-6 Decks coming out and upper ones are rare. Building off ED plays technically works, so...

Evasive

This one's fine, and again Supporter synergy is obvious. Ace is really limited in his negation abilities (because only during opponent's turn), so this helps. 

Fearless Enforcer

On-summon MST is fine; as is chaining to any backrow that gets triggered after Slugger attacks. Can't really review this card properly until stats are provided. I'll assume it has a much higher ATK than DEF for obvious reasons. 

Staunch Defender

One thing they really lack right now is a way to recur stuff from the Graveyard, so yeah, it works. (I'd like to recycle my stuff, thank you very much.) Protection is fine, especially now that we have stuff that can pop during the opponent's turn with minimal effort (and most stuff does target nowadays, so...) Same as above, I can't give a complete review without knowing its stats. 

(Both of the float effects are fine, because yeah, recovering field advantage is something sorely needed here.)

====

At least they have a chance of being competent now without having to rely on external engines, because right now, you kind of have to. (I haven't used U.A. since late 2015/early 2016 due to TCG hitting some of the supports they needed [* cough RoTA for Midfielder access *])

Oh, don't know how I missed that lol. Fearless Enforcer has 3000/800 and Staunch Defender is 800/3000. It won't let me edit the original post for some reason >.<

Could up the LP gain on Homefield Advantage up to 300 per counter. Initially i had it to just wipe the counters but figured I'd add in some free LP. Even just a little, it's better than nothing.

And I do like your comment about Lineman. So many decks are just extra deck spam, but true kings are probably the hardest matchup I've faced with U.A.'s, mainly because of Master Peace's quick targeting pop, which is exactly what Staunch Defender was made for. I basically thought about what U.A.'s struggle with and against and gave them answers. This deck is so fun to play, even if it is against the AI's lol.

Oh, don't know how I missed that lol. Fearless Enforcer has 3000/800 and Staunch Defender is 800/3000. It won't let me edit the original post for some reason >.

Could up the LP gain on Homefield Advantage up to 300 per counter. Initially i had it to just wipe the counters but figured I'd add in some free LP. Even just a little, it's better than nothing.

And I do like your comment about Lineman. So many decks are just extra deck spam, but true kings are probably the hardest matchup I've faced with U.A.'s, mainly because of Master Peace's quick targeting pop, which is exactly what Staunch Defender was made for. I basically thought about what U.A.'s struggle with and against and gave them answers. This deck is so fun to play, even if it is against the AI's lol.

Yeah, YCM has a glitch right now that prevents quick editing. You'll need to right-click the edit button and do your modifications in the new tab (it'll open the full editor where you can make the changes).

Stats are fine on the fusions.

====

Might want to test them on YGOPro, so...yeah. (You have pics for them, because YGOPro tends to crash if you don't have or files are bad.)

I used the card creator but just with blank artwork lol, and yeah I've been playtesting them a lot on ygopro, they work very well. Might add a second effect to the traps because while good, they don't really do all that much. As in, they're not really cards I'm eager to search for like Signing Deal or Stadium are, just kind of a nice bonus.

Something to point out. Not sure if you're aware (it seems you are) but U.A. thematically work in pairs of attack-defense. One has effs and stats geared for offensive the other has stats and effs geared for defense. I say this cuz you made two pair of monsters and the first pair both have higher DEF than ATK which doesn't correlate with the theme.

He made them to pair up with Midfielder and Playmaker respectively to complete those pairs for Level 4 and 8, so theoretically, he kept the thematics.

(That being said, Rebounder and Goalkeeper technically break said trend for Level 6 [Rebounder has slightly higher DEF with 22/23 stats, albeit it does possess a more "offensive" effect in getting field advantage].)

He made them to pair up with Midfielder and Playmaker respectively to complete those pairs for Level 4 and 8, so theoretically, he kept the thematics.

(That being said, Rebounder and Goalkeeper technically break said trend for Level 6 [Rebounder has slightly higher DEF with 22/23 stats, albeit it does possess a more "offensive" effect in getting field advantage].)

Except they already have pairs http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/U.A.

Archived