Ghostrick Support + Links (Release 2 is here!)

ViciDeli

Ghostricks have always been a favorite archetype of mine because control and long-term strategy is my kind of gameplan, but fairly recently I was finally forced to drop my Ghostricks after I couldn’t keep up with the meta any longer. With the upcoming Link Mechanic allowing monsters of any Level or Rank to be sent to the Graveyard as costs and Ghostricks’ ability to SS and gain board presence, I thought it natural to combine the two. Not only this, but because Terrortop was hit to one I wanted to give Ghostricks more viable speed plays to allow them the duality of consistent speed and a maintained goal of a slow smothering.

Tl;dr - I love Ghostricks and since they put stuff on board I wanted to put Links in them and also I wanted to fix their glaring flaws a bit.

Also, if there's some text in the effects that is italicized and not bolded, then that means I have edited that effect.

[spoiler=Release 1: 17 Cards]

Extra Deck Monsters:

Xs2ijLc.jpg

Ghostrick Litwick -

1 "Ghostrick" Monster

Once per turn, if your opponent declares an attack on a "Ghostrick" monster: You can change the attack target to this card and proceed to damage calculation, and if you do, any damage done to players by that battle is halved. If this card is sent to the GY: You can target 1 "Ghostrick" Effect Monster in your GY: Special Summon it in face-down Defense Position. It cannot be destroyed by battle this turn. During either player's turn, except during the turn this card was sent to the GY: You can banish this card from your GY and target 1 monster on the field; change that target to face-down Defense Position.

Link Marker: Bottom

Use Litwick for combos once you are sure you can develop a board, but also use it occasionally for a field-spell-less board to set up key flip effects and survive the Battle Phase.

MeCbZ3s.jpg

Ghostrick Gremloon -

1 "Ghostrick" Monster
While you control another "Ghostrick" Link Monster, this card cannot be destroyed by battle and you take no damage from battles involving this card. If this card battles an opponent's monster and is not destroyed by that battle: You can make that monster's ATK 0 and target 1 other "Ghostrick" monster you control in a Main Monster Zone that has an adjacent unoccupied Main Monster Zone; Move that target to an adjacent unoccupied Main Monster Zone, and if you do, move this card to that target's formerly occupied Main Monster Zone. If this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the GY: you can change 1 face-up monster on the field to face-down Defense Position, and if you do, add 1 "Ghostrick" card from your GY to your hand.

Link Markers: Right

Use Gremloon as a “removal” tool with your field spells and other Ghostrick Links to create an effective Battle Phase dominator. After this, it is useful as a Link Material and/or summoning catalyst for a Link Monster with its moving Link Marker.

n7SSmdd.jpg

Ghostrick Banshee -

1 "Ghostrick" Monster + 1 DARK Monster
Up to twice per turn, during either player's Main Phase, if your opponent activates a card or effect while you control this face-up Link Summoned card: You can activate one of the following effects:
@ Target 1 face-down Defense Position monster you control; change that target to face-up Attack Position, and if it is a "Ghostrick" monster, you can change 1 face-up monster your opponent controls to face-down Defense Position. Monsters changed to face-down Defense Position by this effect cannot change their battle positions.
@ Once per Chain, you can: Immediately after this effect resolves, Link Summon using this card, and if you do, that Link Summoned monster cannot be destroyed by card effects this turn. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.)
You can only use each of these effects of "Ghostrick Banshee" once per turn.

Link Markers: Left, Bottom Right

Banshee is a counterplay and combo card that forces your opponent to miss out on valuable plays to remove it and also can Link Summon up to dodge effects and make plays, but is removable through simple beatstick-ing.

dhZHhmN.jpg

Ghostrick Hagolda -

1 "Ghostrick" Monster + 1+ DARK Monsters
While your opponent controls a Link monster, they cannot Flip Summon. Your opponent cannot target this card for attacks if you control another face-up "Ghostrick" monster. Once per turn, during either player's turn, if you activate a "Ghostrick" monster effect in your hand: You can activate 1 Field Spell from your Deck. You must have a "Ghostrick" Field Spell face-up on the field to activate and resolve this effect. Once per turn, during either player's Battle Phase, if a player is dealt damage from a battle involving a "Ghostrick" monster: You can change 1 monster at this card's Link Point to face-up Defense Position, and if you do, apply one of the following effects:
@ Change the attacking monster to face-down Defense Position.
@ Gain LP equal to the damage dealt.
@ Destroy the attacking monster.

Link Markers: Left, Right

Hagolda serves as a lockdown and gamestate utility card that is a good partner to Banshee and is a good summon off of it. 

qvmLAIG.jpg

Ghostrick Reveler -

1+ "Ghostrick" Monster(s) + 1+ DARK Monster(s)
If you would Link Summon this card using only "Ghostrick" monsters as Link Materials, you can use 1 "Ghostrick" Spell/Trap card you control as 1 Link Material instead. During either player's turn, if your opponent's monster battles a face-up "Ghostrick" monster you control: You can change 1 Set "Ghostrick" monster at one of this card's Link Points to face-up Defense Position; negate the attack, and if you do, you can send the attacking monster to the GY. During either player's turn, if your opponent adds a card(s) from their Deck to their hand by a card effect, including drawing: You can send 1 card from your hand to the GY; they must discard 1 of those cards, and if they do, your opponent loses 1500 LP. You can only use these effects of "Ghostrick Reveler" up to twice per turn.

Link Markers: Left, Bottom Left, Right, Bottom Right

Reveler serves as a Battle Phase monster lockdown while also locking your opponent out of searches as long as you can compensate. It is also the archetype’s sole beatstick, as 2800 is the highest ATK value any Ghostrick has had thus far.

Dl3WyUz.jpg

Ghostrick Fiend of Fright -

2 Level 4 DARK monsters

You can also Xyz Summon "Ghostrick Fiend of Terror" by using a "Ghostrick" Xyz Monster you control as the Xyz Material, except "Ghostrick Fiend of Terror". Once per turn: you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card and banish 1 DARK monster from your GY; add 1 "Ghostrick" monster from your Deck to your hand. Once per turn, you can attach 1 "Ghostrick" card from your hand to this card as Xyz Material. You can only Special Summon "Ghostrick Fiend of Fright" once per turn.

Hey look, it’s the monster searcher this archetype has always desperately wanted and a halfway decent beatstick! There’s nothing to say about this card that couldn’t be said about Angel of Mischief, aside from that I put a single summon limit on it to prevent loops.

01NvtX7.jpg

Ghostrick Lethifold -

2 Level 3 "Ghostrick" Monsters

You may also use 1 face-up "Ghostrick" Spell/Trap card you control as Xyz Material for this card, but if you do, the other Xyz Material must be correct. If this card is successfully Xyz Summoned using a "Ghostrick" Spell/Trap card as Xyz Material: add 1 "Ghostrick" Spell/Trap card with the same card type (Spell or Trap) as that card from your Deck to your hand. Once per turn, during either player's turn, if this card battles an opponent's monster: You can detach 1 "Ghostrick" Xyz Material from this card and target the monster this card is battling; Attach it to this card as Xyz Material, and if you do, this card's ATK and DEF become 0 until the end of the Battle Phase. There must be a "Ghostrick" Field Spell active on the field in order to activate and resolve this effect. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Ghostrick" card from your Deck to your hand.

More removal, and given that you can theoretically exploit the replay mechanic with this card I decided to basically put “one attack per turn” clause on it, unless you decide to run some random ATK booster or whatever. Lets you cycle Ghostrick spells and traps that you don’t need or are replaceable.

DcTS64b.jpg

Ghostrick Shadow Child -

2 Level 1 DARK Monsters

As long as this card has Xyz Material, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in response to the activation of "Ghostrick" cards. Once per turn: you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; You can Normal Summon/Set 1 "Ghostrick" monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set this turn (You can only gain this effect once per turn). If this card is sent to the GY: You can target 1 other "Ghostrick" card in your Graveyard; add that target to your hand.

Allows for further board swarming and easier combo turns by being a much more “plus” rank 1 than this archetype has with Dullahan. Also can be used to protect your plays and hinder your opponent if you don’t use the extra normal summon right away. Can definitely be annoying on the right board. Enjoy main decking Kinka Byo with this card.

Main Deck Monsters

t5RPiBB.jpg

Ghostrick Kodama -

Cannot be Normal Summoned, unless you control a "Ghostrick" monster. Once per turn: You can change this card to face-down Defense Position. If your opponent Special Summons a monster: You can Special Summon this card from your hand in face-down Defense Position, and if you do, you can change that opponent's monster to face-down Defense Position. That opponent's monster cannot activate its effects in response to this effect, and your opponent cannot activate the effects of monsters with the same name as that monster until the end of this turn.

Gives Ghostricks a “counter” to summons of sorts, since that is something the deck has particular trouble with. Can be dead sometimes, but is generally quite useful in the early and midgame.

FZCNBWj.jpg

Ghostrick Obaker -

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set, unless you control a "Ghostrick" monster. Once per turn: You can change this card to face-down Defense Position. If you control a "Ghostrick" Spell/Trap card: You can banish 1 "Ghostrick" card from your GY; Special Summon this card (from your hand). While this card is face-up, during your Main Phase you can Normal Summon/Set 1 "Ghostrick" monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set, but that monster must have a different Level than the face-up monsters you currently control (You can only gain this effect once per turn). If the monster you summon by this effect is face-up immediately after its summon: This card's ATK becomes equal to that monster's DEF, and replace this face-up card's effects with that monster's original effects. (You can only gain these effects once per turn.)

Gives Ghostrick a playmaker that isn’t normal summon reliant but loses out on flip effects. Can be useful to swarm the board, however given the previous and later support choices this deck will have available I didn’t want to just make it an easy Rank 3 engine. Useful with cards like Ghostrick Ghoul and some of the other 3’s.

KqEAEmm.jpg

Ghostrick Pogrebin -

Cannot be Normal Summoned, unless you control a "Ghostrick" monster. Cannot be Special Summoned, except from the hand or Main Deck. Once per turn: You can change this card to face-down Defense Position. If this card is flipped face-up during your opponent's turn: target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; at the start of the next End Phase, if any monsters targetted by the previous effect are on the field, banish those monsters face-down, and if this card is face-up at that time it is banished as well. You can only use these effects of "Ghostrick Pogrebin" once per turn.

Pogrebin is useful as a timed removal tool, forcing your opponent to use a monster or lose it. It is easily a tech choice and nothing more, but on the right board it can make a huge difference in both the battle phase and your opponent’s choices for the rest of the turn.

OtwTH2U.jpg

Ghostrick River Maiden -

Cannot be Normal or Special Summoned, unless you control a "Ghostrick" monster. Once per turn: You can change this card to face-down Defense Position. While face-up on the field, this card is also WATER-Attribute. If this card is flipped face-up, you can target 1 Set monster you control; change it to face-up Defense Position, and if you do, you can Special Summon 1 "Ghostrick" Effect Monster from your hand or 1 of your banished "Ghostrick" Effect Monsters in face-up or face-down Defense Position, and if you do that, the effects of any monsters with the names of monsters Special Summoned by this effect are negated until the next Standby Phase and their DEF becomes 0. You can only use this effect of "Ghostrick River Maiden" once per turn.

River Maiden is an easy revive card that makes equally easy Extra Deck plays, and the first part of its effect comes in handy if you want to save a monster while you have a Field Spell up. Generally requires a remotely developed board to use.

C0ka2JR.jpg

Ghostrick Seer -

Cannot be Normal Summoned, unless you control a "Ghostrick" monster. Once per turn: You can change this card to face-down Defense Position. If this card is flipped face-up: you can change 1 Set monster you control to face-up Defense Position or change 1 face-up monster you control to face-down Defense Position. Once per turn: you can target 1 "Ghostrick" monster you control; that monster is treated as a Tuner monster this turn, also if it is used as a Material to Special Summon a monster from the Extra Deck, that monster gains this effect:

@ If it is Summoned: Draw 1 card, then, if that card was a "Ghostrick" effect monster, destroy Set cards on the field equal to that monster's level (max. 2).
You can only use these effects of "Ghostrick Seer" once per turn.

A Ghostrick Tuner thing??? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Useful as a combo piece but really only when you have a developed board. However being able to plus and force a minus at the same time from any extra deck summon is particularly good, which is what I think is this card’s saving grace. I don’t really see people running it, but I enjoyed the idea of putting more in-archetype flexibility into the archetype so I did it.

GjGAf3D.jpg

Ghostrick Will-O-Wisp -

Cannot be Normal Summoned, unless you control a "Ghostrick" monster. Once per turn: You can change this card to face-down Defense Position. During either player's turn, if your opponent activates a monster effect: You can Special Summon this card in face-down Defense Position and negate the activation, and if you do, you can change that monster to face-down Defense Position. That opponent's monster must be face-up on the field to activate and resolve this effect. 

More effect negation, but this time way better! Ghostricks quite sorely lacked effect negation, so here’s a really good instance of it from the bottom of my heart. Locking down an opponent’s monster for basically free is always nice, especially if your opponent is in the middle of a risky play. Mildly situational, but that’s the whole point.

Spells and Traps

AwY4wrH.jpg

Ghostrick Illusory Library -

Monsters cannot attack face-down Defense Position monsters, but can attack directly if all monsters their opponent controls are face-down Defense Position. If your opponent targets a face-up "Ghostrick" monster as an attack target: You can banish 2 DARK monsters from your GY to target another correct attack target on your field; change the attack target to that correct target and proceed to damage calculation, then, if the new attack target is not destroyed by that battle, banish the attacking monster face-down until your opponent's next Standby Phase. If you control 3 other face-up "Ghostrick" cards, you can target a new correct attack target from your opponent's field instead. You can only use this effect of "Ghostrick Illusory Library" up to twice per turn.

Easily my favorite card out of this whole set and the one I had the most fun designing. I love the idea of being able to establish a massive barrier on the Battle Phase by forcing your opponent to use strategy, and this is just the card to do it. Once you develop your board enough this card becomes a powerful force to be reckoned with. Obviously weak to the usual destruction, but if you can protect it your opponent will be hesitant to attack at all.

gp8pgYh.jpg

Ghostrick Lunar Cycle -

Reveal any number of cards from your hand and shuffle them into your deck, then draw cards equal to the number of cards you shuffled into the Deck +1. After that, you can reveal any number of "Ghostrick" cards you drew by this effect to Special Summon 1 "Ghostrick" monster from your Deck in face-down Defense Position whose Level is less than or equal to the cards you revealed. You can only activate 1 "Ghostrick Lunar Cycle" per turn. You cannot Special Summon monsters, except "Ghostrick" monsters, until the next End Phase after you Special Summon a monster by this effect.

The cycle card this deck needed to get rid of bricky hands. Also allows for some cheese with other cards in this support line-up and generally helps the Deck’s consistency, though it does come with a mildly limiting factor.

8DCq4aE.jpg

Ghostrick Seer Field -

If this card is activated, or you enter the Standby Phase: Banish 1 card from your GY and Excavate the top card of your Deck; You can add that card to your hand if it is a "Ghostrick" monster, place it on the bottom of the Deck, or send it to the GY and activate one of the following effects based on the card type:
@ "Ghostrick" Monster: Until your opponent's next End Phase, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in response to the Summons or Activations of "Ghostrick" cards.
@ Non-"Ghostrick" monster: Add 1 "Ghostrick" Spell/Trap from your GY to your hand.
@ Spell Card: Destroy 1 Set card on the field.
@ Trap Card: At the start of your opponent's next Draw Phase, if your opponent has more total cards in their hand and field than you do, they do not draw during that Draw Phase.

You can only control 1 face-up "Ghostrick Seer Field"

Another one of my favorites, even if it really won’t see play. I love being able to toolbox with these kinds of decks, and with a bit of randomness added in there it gets all the more fun. I would love to see someone make a Sylvan Ghostrick deck with this card in it. If anything you can enjoy drawing more Ghostrick monsters than usual, similar to a Grand Spellbook Tower almost.

HmN1bAD.jpg

Ghostrick Spirit Sanctuary -

Once per turn, During either your Main Phase or your opponent's Battle Phase: You can add a "Ghostrick" monster(s) (max. 2) from your Deck to your hand whose total Levels are less than or equal to the number of _____ Counters on this card +1. If you successfully add a "Ghostrick" monster(s) to your hand by this effect: take 2000 damage. Once per turn, During either player's turn, if you control a Set "Ghostrick" monster: You can remove 1 _____ Counter from this card to target 1 monster you control; change it to face-up or face-down Defense Position. You can only use these effects of "Ghostrick Spirit Sanctuary" once per turn. Up to twice per turn, during either player's turn, if you take damage: place 1 _____ Counter on this card. You can only control 1 face-up "Ghostrick Spirit Sanctuary".

***I couldn't think of a proper name for the Counters - you get the point either way.

This is your playmaker. This card is the reason I bothered making all this support in the first place and is a card that I could see making this deck incredibly viable if it was released by itself because it single-handedly sets up your turn for you. Weak to the usual destruction, but is an simple and powerful combo piece when you search it off of Angel of Mischief.

1h24hGs.jpg

Ghostrick Vendetta -

If a "Ghostrick" card you control is destroyed by an opponent's card: Banish all copies of cards with that card's name from your opponent's Deck and GY, and if you do, you can apply one of the following effects based on those cards' card type:
@ Monster: Halve the ATK of 1 monster your opponent controls, and if you do, negate its effects. That monster cannot be used as Link Material this turn.
@ Spell: Banish 1 Set card on the field.
@ Trap: Your opponent can only attack with 1 monster during their next Battle Phase.

I liked the idea of a revenge haunting, so here you go. Assuming you can deal with whatever caused that destruction in the first place, you won’t need to worry about it any more for the rest of the Duel. I could really only see this being a one-of, but boy does it feel nice to get rid of your opponent’s troublesome cards. All of these options are relatively good, especially if you can say goodbye to cards like Twin Twisters, Solemn Strike, any boss monster ever (aside from Extra Deck ones), etc. I also enjoyed Chain Dispel as a card and hated that no one played it, so I wanted to do it one better here.

[spoiler=Revision Notes on Release 1]
Taking into account Flash Flyer - Sakura's helpful reviews and my own agenda with these cards, I have edited (with my reasons included and a bit of italicized commentary) the effects of:

Litwick -
I wanted to make it so that Litwick's attack redirection effect was less of a damage producer so I added in the halving clause for the sake of the ability being strictly better.

Gremloon -
I decided that Gremloon would generally be more usable individually and thus more useful in general if I took away the Mutual Link requirement and just made it so you needed another "Ghostrick" Link on the board. I also made it so this card was less reliant on setting monsters (which I will talk about more with Halgolda). Also, I wanted this card to be able to float in certain situations because that also contributes to making this card more useful in general. Otherwise I fixed the Link Markers to make it so it only has one.
Initially releasing this card I do admit that I thought it was a bit underdeveloped - I'm rather new at this, so I figured it would be good to release it a bit weaker than intended and see how it fared.

Banshee -
Banshee is staying a twice per turn so that it can use both of its effects in the same Main Phase by its activation allowing it to use one effect or the other. I also changed the wording of Banshee's second effect so it reflected better what I intended it to do (while still keeping it balanced)
In the meantime, I will be working on a Ghostrick Link 3 monster to make this effect more useful.

Hagolda -
Sakura made a very good point that one of the Ghostrick archtype's core mechanics will end up proving rather lackluster in the Link format - that, of course, being the idea of setting monsters. So I changed Hagolda to make her both more versatile versus certain decks and also less reliant on the monster in question not being a Link Monster.
This concept of setting monsters being the way it is in the current meta will be a core idea behind a good amount of the following changes. 

Reveler -
Fixed Link Markers (leave it to me to not find a correlation between Link Ratings and number of Link Markers lol) and made the card decidedly stronger based on my recent studies into Konami's officially released Link archetypes (namely Stragrails) - Now this card is more of a "force their removal" kind of card.

Shadow Child - 
Changed the detach requirement to make this card much more useful.
Also made it so this card was more than an extra normal summon before it was thrown under a bigger "Ghostrick" Rank-Up of your choice.

Lethifold -
Fixed unclear card text.

Kodama -
Made Kodama more useful in terms of that setting your opponent's monster is now not the core requirement of this effect. Also made it so that if you don't end up getting the set then at least your opponent isn't going to be using that card to annoy you that turn.

Pogrebin -
Removed its summoning restriction and also made it so it can target Links.

Seer -
Made its destruction effect more viable so that people bother to use this card.
Also this card was meant to make a Synchro Summon in this deck an option, but not necessarily an actual thing you would do. I purposefully worded it so any Extra Deck summon makes this card useful.

Will-O-Wisp -
Changed the wording on the Setting effect so that (in theory, anyway) it is optional, however with PSCT Link Monsters would still have their effects negated.

Lunar Cycle - Slapped a hard OPT clause on this card because people could probably find ways to loop this card, and it's generally more balanced this way.

Seer Field - Changed the Trap effect, but I might end up reworking this card a bit anyway.

Spirit Sanctuary - Fixed the OPT PSCT.
Note: The reason you take 2000 for using this card is because if you can open up any "Ghostrick" Xyz into Angel and Fiend then you can use this card to pull off absolutely nutty fields and go +3 in hand (namely if you open the Predaplant Rank 3 Engine).

Vendetta -  Fixed some PSCT with this card so it made more sense and made the Monster effect better.

[spoiler=Release 2: 12 Cards]

Extra Deck Monsters:

x4FS5Kf.jpg

Ghostrick Enchantcess

2 Level 2 Monsters

While you control another "Ghostrick" monster, your opponent cannot target this card for attacks. Once per turn, during either player's turn, if your opponent activates the effect of a Special Summoned monster: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card and target that monster; Negate the activation, then if the detached Xyz Material was a "Ghostrick" card, you can place that card in your opponent’s Spell/Trap Zone as an Equip Spell card and equip it to the targeted monster as an Equip Spell card with this effect.

@ The equipped monster has its effects negated and its ATK and DEF (if applicable) halved. If this card is sent to the GY: Draw 1 card.

More Rank 2 negation. Yay. But in all seriousness, I liked the idea of a situational yet effective Extra Deck monster that doesn’t really replace Socuteboss as much as it covers different ground. Also taking up valuable S/T space is always nice. So is drawing. And negation. So overall we have a card that the archetype would LOVE.

nBGDvvG.jpg

Ghostrick Bergmunch

2 Level 3 DARK Monsters

Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card: Send 1 face-up Spell Card to the GY and target 1 Set card your opponent controls; draw 1 card, and if you do, that Set card cannot be activated or flipped face-up as long as you control a face-up "Ghostrick" monster (this applies even if this card is no longer on the field). The targeted Set card must remain face-down to resolve this effect. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Ghostrick" card from your GY to your hand.

Once again, drawing is nice and so is forcing the activation of valuable Spell/Trap cards to stop you from plussing and locking down a Strike or something else good. Also the Spell sending effect, which does end up being a main cost for this card, allows for easy Field Spell cycling or getting rid of annoying tools your opponent has (a la Draconic Diagram) since the effect doesn’t state which side of the field that Spell has to be on.

kIPCJKJ.jpg

Ghostrick Fetch

1+ "Ghostrick" Monster(s)

If your opponent activates a Link Monster's effect: You can have this card's ATK become equal to that Link Monster's and replace this effect with that card's effects until this card activates its effects or attacks, and if you do, that opponent’s monster cannot attack or activate its effects until the next Standby Phase. If this card is destroyed by an opponent's monster and sent to the GY: You can destroy that monster, and if you do, add 1 "Ghostrick" card from your GY to your hand.

Link Markers: Left, Bottom Right

I figured a shape-shifting creature hadn’t been done yet, so here it is. Nothing like copying a Firewall Dragon’s effects and ATK for free, albeit briefly. Generally forces your opponent to swing (which may prove difficult against this deck) in order to not face a carbon copy of whatever they activate the effects of.

Kj1NWG4.jpg

Ghostrick Caladracus

1+ "Ghostrick" Monster(s) + 1 Monster

If you control a face-up "Ghostrick" Field Spell, you may also use 1 "Ghostrick" monster in your hand as Link Material. If this card is Link Summoned: You can send any number of monsters this card points at to the GY, and if you do, send an equal number of cards from your opponent's hand (at random) or field to the GY. You can only use this effect of "Ghostrick Caladracus" once per turn. Once per turn, during either player's turn, if a monster(s) is Set: You can draw cards equal to the number of monsters Set at the time of this effect's activation. If this card is sent to the GY: You can Special Summon 1 "Ghostrick" monster from your hand, and if you do, you can shuffle up to 3 "Ghostrick" cards from your GY into your Deck.

Link Markers: Top, Left, Right

Caladracus is essentially the corrupted version of a Caladrius, a bird that (according to Roman Mythology) was supposed to heal the sick - this card does quite the opposite, being both a heavy removal tool and plus tool for itself. This card is essentially what I would imagine to be the “counterpart” to Ningirisu the World Chalice Warrior in terms of balance.

1zwZ9Hq.jpg

Ghostrick Windigo

1+ "Ghostrick" Monster(s) + 1 Monster

You can tribute 1 other face-up "Ghostrick" monster; This card gains 300 ATK. Up to twice per turn, during either player's Battle Phase, if this monster destroys a monster by battle: This card can attack once again in a row. At the end of the Battle Phase, if this card did not attack: Destroy this card or discard 1 card to negate this effect. If this card is sent to the GY, except by its own effect: Add 1 "Ghostrick" card from your GY to your hand. You can only control 1 "Ghostrick Windigo".

Link Markers: Left, Right, Down

Windigo was meant to be a beatstick, and it does that pretty well compared to basically any other card in this archetype. While the forced-aggression effect may seem counter-intuitive to what you’re supposed to be doing in this deck, there are enough suitable substitutes for this card in the Extra Deck that you really won’t be making it until you push anyway.

sAEgcCB.jpg

Ghostrick Lilith

2+ "Ghostrick" Monster(s)

While this card points at a face-up "Ghostrick" monster, this card is unaffected by the effects of cards with the same card type as face-up "Ghostrick" cards you control. During either player's turn, if you control this face-up Link Summoned card: You can discard 1 card; banish 1 card on your opponent's field, and if you do, this card gains 500 ATK. If a "Ghostrick" monster this card points to is sent to the GY: You can place that card on the bottom of your Deck, and if you do, add 1 “Ghostrick” card from your Deck to your hand. During either player's turn, if the Link Materials used to summon this Link Summoned card are in your GY: You can Tribute this card; Special Summon those monsters. If this card is destroyed and sent to the GY: You can set 1 "Ghostrick" Spell/Trap from your GY to the field, but banish it when it leaves the field. You can only use each effect of "Ghostrick Lilith" once per turn.

Link Markers: Up, Left, Bottom Left, Bottom Right, Right

Lilith is your big monolith that is a sweet combo of Firewall Dragon and ABC Dragon Buster’s rather annoying effects and thus creates the big “long-term goal” boss monster this deck wanted (but doesn't always need and/or use). And considering that it can plus after it goes minus for its own effect, it does well to keep removing threats from your opponent’s board.

Main Deck Monsters

716inLL.jpg

Ghostrick Kuchi-Onna

Cannot be Normal Summoned, unless you control a "Ghostrick" monster. During your turn: You can change this card to face-down Defense Position. During either player's Main Phase: you can send 1 "Ghostrick" card from your hand to the GY; Change this card and face-up 1 monster your opponent controls to face-down Defense Position. If this card is flipped face-up: You can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; Until your next Standby Phase, as long as that monster remains face-up on the field, your opponent cannot Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck and that monster gains this effect:

@ Once per turn: You can Tribute this card (for no effect).

You can only use each of these effects of "Ghostrick Kuchi-Onna" once per turn.

This card does well when it’s Special Summoned off of this Deck’s various effects that summon face-up, as it is a non-trap-reliant method of setting things. Also it basically forces your opponent to tribute one of their monsters or face a turn with no Link Summons - this card is likely more of a side card for this purpose, because it won’t do as well against non-extra-reliant decks, but if it does find a situation in which it is useful then it does its job very well.

mgsgawF.jpg

Ghostrick Tofukozo

Cannot be Normal Summoned, unless you control a "Ghostrick" monster. Once per turn: You can change this card to face-down Defense Position. If this card is flipped face-up: Each player draws 1 card, and if they do, all battle damage is halved this turn. If this card is sent to the GY while face-up on the field: the turn player randomly discards 1 card, then, if that card was an Effect Monster, they discard 1 more card. You can only use each effect of "Ghostrick Tofukozo" once per turn.

Tofukozo is me wanting to have another good monster in this archetype but having no clue what to do - So I made it a very situational but very fun “hot potato” gimmick card that I could see being played in some stall variants of this deck. Not to mention that using Illusory Library or some other attack redirection to redirect an attack onto this could make your opponent potentially go -2.

Spells and Traps

P8sZs3i.jpg

Ghostrick Music Box

During either player's turn, if a "Ghostrick" monster you control successfully resolves its effect: You can send that monster or 1 "Ghostrick" card from your hand to the GY; Special Summon 1 "Ghostrick" monster from your Deck in face-up or face-down Defense Position, and if you do, that monster cannot be destroyed by battle this turn. If this card is sent to the GY: change as many face-up monsters on the field as possible to face-down Defense Position, then you can add 1 "Ghostrick" monster from your Deck to your hand, whose Level is less than or equal to the number of monsters flipped face-down by this effect. You can only use each of these effects of "Ghostrick Music Box" once per turn.  You may only control 1 “Ghostrick Music Box”.

Another card that rewards you well for playing slow and allows you some swarm-ability. Basically replaces your hand traps that Set themselves with more valuable Level 2’s and 3’s from your Deck (or a Level 1 you wanted to thin out) so you get more of the flip effects you want when the time comes. Otherwise you get a free wall. (Person in the distance - it has synergy with True Dracos!!!!!!)

JA8vakQ.jpg

Ghostrick Puppet Show

Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can activate one of the following effects, based on the number of face-up "Ghostrick" cards you control.

@ 1 or more: Move 1 monster your opponent controls to an adjacent unoccupied Monster Zone.

@ 2 or more: Target 1 monster your opponent controls; Until the end of this turn, that monster cannot be used as Material to summon a monster from the Extra Deck, also that monster cannot attack.

@ 3 or more: Return up to 2 Set cards your opponent controls to the hand.

@ 4 or more: Until the end of this turn, while an opponent's monster is face-up on the field, it cannot attack or activate its effects if it is in an adjacent Monster Zone to another monster your opponent controls.

@ 5 or more: Banish 1 card your opponent controls face-down.

A card that bears resemblance to Seer Field but is much more versatile - I love these cards where I can toolbox an array of effects based on how developed my board is, so I made basically all of them useful against most decks. Essentially all the effects are designed to noticeably affect the gamestate to the point of being useful.

p0P61T6.jpg

Ghostrick Cracked Mirror

If your opponent activates an effect that targets a number of "Ghostrick" card(s) you control: Target the same number of cards as the "Ghostrick" card(s) targeted that would be appropriate targets for that effect; that effect now targets those cards. If this card in its owner's possession is sent to the GY by a card effect: You can Special Summon 1 "Ghostrick" monster from your Deck in face-down Defense Position.

Ghostrick Vanish has always been a love-hate relationship for me, because it does its job very well but tends to be minus when I wish it was not. So here’s a riskier alternative - a mass and more versatile Mystical Refpanel that can make your opponent go -3 if they decide to Twin Twister you. (Person in the distance - it has synergy with True Dracos!!!!!!)

DP6i0R1.jpg

Ghostrick Lights Out

Target 1 Set monster you control and 1 card your opponent controls; change the first target to face-up Defense Position and destroy the second target. If you control 3 face-up "Ghostrick" cards, you can activate this card from your hand. You can only activate 1 "Ghostrick Lights Out" per turn.

Obvious Zefra War rip-off is obvious, but man do I love the idea of adding this back and immediately finding a use for it. Also Ghostricks love having new destruction effects because they don’t have very many.

As a final note, the reason this post is so long and there are so many of these cards is that I know all of them wouldn't be used, and all of them aren't perfect. I wanted to put as many of my ideas into this post as possible, which is why this also was so long in the making. Please feel free to leave feedback on these cards and how they could be improved. Thank you for reading!

I'll just keep the reviews for each card short:

Litwick: (Going to assume this is either themed on the Pokemon of the same name or something else). But yeah, if this dies, float into something like Warwolf, Jiangshi, Skeleton and the like; or really any of the members that just need to flip themselves up to trigger; should be most of them. Should be fine.

Gremloon: You may want to fix the Link Number / Markers, because at present, the number of Link Markers = Number/rating. You have a Link 1 monster with 2 markers, so...

Assuming that what you have below is the actual effect, it's only good if you manage to get Litwick out first because the markers are in odd places (er, at least making it invincible to attacks/damage). The Mobile Base effect is fine, but again, requires said Mutual Link and another Ghostrick to do it. Float effect is welcome, since they only have Jiangshi right now for searching.

Banshee: Given how Link Summoning works, you are only going to be able to use 2 monsters in total; 1 Ghostrick and 1 DARK; not 1+. Effects are fine though; trigger your stuff and lock the opponent from doing anything with that monster for the turn, or Link Summoning. I am skeptical about why you have it at twice per turn; second effect would be fine, but first one is debatable. At least it has a Link Marker in the MMZ so it's not deadweight later.

Hagolda: RIP Shaddolls/Subterror/opposing Ghostricks in mirror [though Night already shuts off Flip Summoning simply by having a Ghostrick, and isn't reliant on them Link Summoning]. Cycling the Field Spells is fine, though it does require you to trigger the Level 1s in hand first, which should not be an issue. I guess it's also a good way to get your stuff face-down so it can be retriggered again after they strike.

Reveler: (You need 2 more Link Markers on this card because it's L-4). For the most part, effects are fine; punish searching, retrigger your effects while neutering the opponent's non-Link Monsters and so forth. As I noted, you need 2 more markers to match its rating. Right now, the markers are fine, but only work if you have this in the EMZ; once it's gone, that's it. You may want to copy Varrel Lord Dragon's markers and put two more on the sides. At least the backrow Traps / Fields have some added use now.

Fiend of Fright: Yeah, this looks like you made it to work in tandem with Spoiled Angel. But more searching is always appreciated, given the Deck is tame compared to the other stuff in the meta right now.

Lethifold: Borrowing from Outer Entities, are we? But for most intents and purposes, they only have the Fields (and your other stuff to work with). I like the 101/CDI effect though, and suppose the fields help to minimize damage if it happens. Float effect is fine.

Shadow Child: Locking the opponent from chaining is good. Iffy about the 2 mat detach just to enable another NS, though I suppose it helps if you don't want Mummy's no-non-DARK summon restriction on you.

Kodama: You know Links don't care about this effect because they can't be flipped face-down, but rest is fine. I guess you get a wall or something.

Obaker: Well, more added NS enabling, except for different Levels. Yeah, it'll only work during the early/mid game if you don't have too much out or have Xyz Summoned. At the same time, you can get another chance at using a certain effect that turn (but that's it, because it'll absorb said monster). At least you can "reset" it.

Pogrebin: Most it does is flip stuff face-down, so...that's it. With that being said, some of the stuff you made in here do flip stuff up during the opponent's turn, so you can trigger this, keep this on the board and watch stuff get banished later. Banishing itself sucks, but you would've Set it by then, right?

River Maiden: I guess this helps to speed up your summon game, but other than that, makes your other stuff target bait unless you Xyz/Link Summon. Too bad this can't summon the above card due to its own restrictions.

Seer: Not sure why you're pushing them into Synchro territory now, but guess it's fine for more options. More setup and guess it gives them a way to hit backrow on their own.

Wiil-O-Wisp: Effect is fine.

Library: Redirecting is fine, though banishing face-down will hurt like hell. (Then again, you can retrieve your banished stuff with River Maiden to an extent, so...) Also making the opponent's field as attack targets works well.

Cycle: Yeah, it'll be nice to get rid of dead hands and summon new stuff. Part of me does think you need a hard OPT on its activation though, if using Igknight Reload as a comparative card. You could probably swap that with the current restriction, as they'd probably like to be open to other ED options besides their own bosses. It's up to you though.

Seer Field: OK...this card's effectiveness relies on having enough Graveyard fodder and milling a certain card; each of the effects are fine (well, the first three are going to be useful; last one has the tendency to backfire nowadays)

Sanctuary: Oh yay, more searching. I'm iffy on getting burned for 2K just to search for the Level 1 [at start] and then generate more counters. I guess it helps to get stuff ready, but yeah. Also, you have a soft OPT and a hard OPT for the counter removal effects; which one is it?

Vendetta: This one will hurt a lot more, especially considering key monsters/cards are run in triples (bar generics). I mean, at least it doesn't kill the stuff already on-field, but...Stat halving is fine (but coupling that with forced setting is iffy), Spell/Trap ones are okay.

=====

A lot of the stuff in here kind of overlaps with either the existing members or themselves to some extent. That, and they already have a lot of cards to work with; albeit only the Xyz seeing play lately due to their genericness. (Grading the 19 you made here and comparing them to the 27 that are logged on YGOPro took a while)

Thank you Sakura for the review! You'll see in my Edit #2 and under the cards themselves that I have made some revisions to the cards based on your advice (though I haven't updated the images yet - I may or may not end up doing that based on if I need to make more edits).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived