[Sakura AGM] Hearts Riding Club (20/20)

Hearts Riding Club

This is another of those two-part archetypes- think Kozmos with Psychic and Machine, or Dragunity with Winged Beast and Dragon. Notably, like the latter, it's a master/rider dynamic, with Spellcasters that ride and tame their Beast of choice. However, it combines a bit of the style of both- the Spellcaster "masters" can Tribute themselves on a Quick Effect to snatch the Beasts from your Deck, or get them out of your hand/Graveyard. Then, the Beasts all float, and they carry a Majespecter clause while their specific rider is on the field (ie, If you control "Hearts Riding Club - Quick Caster", this monster cannot be destroyed or targeted by cards or effects.), and often carry some method of protecting all the riders on the field, either by attracting attacks, negating effects that target the riders, or by carrying some quick destruction. However, if for whatever reason you get an incompatible rider/beast pair out, or if you know your opponent will be able to crack your board, the Spellcasters are Tuners, and their Synchros are surprisingly pretty generically good, if awkward to make outside HRC (requiring Spellcaster Tuners, Beast non-Tuners, or both).

[spoiler=Main Deck]

Mounts

Hearts Riding Club - Pulu Naiʻa

Level 4 | WATER | Beast | Effect

1200/2100

① While you control a WATER Spellcaster "Hearts Riding Club" monster, this card cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects. ② Your opponent cannot activate cards or effects when you Summon a "Hearts Riding Club" monster.

Hearts Riding Club - Palomino

Level 4 | EARTH | Beast | Effect

1300/1900

① While you control a EARTH Spellcaster "Hearts Riding Club" monster, this card cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects. ② Your opponent cannot target another "Hearts Riding Club" monster you control for attacks, except "Hearts Riding Club - Palomino".

Hearts Riding Club - Prancer

Level 4 | LIGHT | Beast | Effect

1600/1500

① While you control a LIGHT Spellcaster "Hearts Riding Club" monster, this card cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects. ② Once per turn, if a "Hearts Riding Club" monster you control destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can banish 1 card your opponent controls.

Hearts Riding Club - Fēnghǎiwān (风海湾, wind bay)

Level 4 | WIND | Beast | Effect

1800/1200

① While you control a WIND Spellcaster "Hearts Riding Club" monster, this card cannot be destroyed by your opponent's card effects. ② Once per turn: You can target 1 "Hearts Riding Club" monster you control; this turn, the targeted monster can attack directly, but other monsters you control cannot attack.

Hearts Riding Club - Honōtora

Level 4 | FIRE | Beast | Effect

1900/1000

① While you control a FIRE Spellcaster "Hearts Riding Club" monster, this card cannot be destroyed by your opponent's card effects. ② Once per turn, during either player's turn, if a card or effect is activated that would target another "Hearts Riding Club" monster you control: You can negate that effect.

Riders

Hearts Riding Club Veteran Member - ʻAulani

Level 5 | WATER | Spellcaster | Tuner | Effect

2000/1500

You can only use each effect of this card's name once per turn. ① If you control a "Hearts Riding Club" monster except "Hearts Riding Club Veteran Member - ʻAulani", you can Special Summon this card from your hand. ② During either player's turn: You can Synchro Summon 1 "Hearts Riding Club" Synchro Monster by shuffling this card you control and 1 non-Tuner "Hearts Riding Club" monster on your field or in your Graveyard into the Deck as Synchro Material.

Hearts Riding Club Member - Haruyo

Level 4 | EARTH | Spellcaster | Tuner | Effect

1600/1600

You can only use each effect of this card's name once per turn. ① During either player's turn: You can Tribute this card; Special Summon 1 "Hearts Riding Club" Beast monster from your Deck. ② During either player's turn: You can Synchro Summon 1 "Hearts Riding Club" Synchro Monster from your Extra Deck using this card and 1 non-Tuner "Hearts Riding Club" monster in your hand as Synchro Material.  

Hearts Riding Club Member - Ruby

Level 3 | LIGHT | Spellcaster | Tuner | Effect

1500/1200

You can only use each effect of this card's name once per turn. ① During either player's turn: You can Tribute this card; Special Summon 1 "Hearts Riding Club" Beast monster from your hand or Graveyard. ② During either player's turn: You can Synchro Summon 1 "Hearts Riding Club" Synchro Monster from your Extra Deck using this card and 1 non-Tuner "Hearts Riding Club" monster in your hand as Synchro Material.

Hearts Riding Club Member - Xiāngfēng (香风, fragrant wind)

Level 2 | WIND | Spellcaster | Tuner | Effect

1200/900

You can only use each effect of this card's name once per turn. ① You can Tribute this card; Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Hearts Riding Club" monster from your hand or Graveyard, except "Hearts Riding Club Member - Xiāngfēng". ② During either player's turn: You can target 1 non-Tuner "Hearts Riding Club" monster in your Graveyard and this card; banish both targets, then Synchro Summon 1 "Hearts Riding Club" Synchro Monster from your Extra Deck whose Level equals the total Levels of those banished monsters.

Hearts Riding Club Member - Akane

Level 1 | FIRE | Spellcaster | Tuner | Effect

400/2000

You can only use each effect of this card's name once per turn. ① You can Tribute this card; Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Hearts Riding Club" monster from your Deck, except "Hearts Riding Club Member - Akane". ② During either player's turn: You can reveal 1 non-Tuner "Hearts Riding Club"  monster in your hand; Synchro Summon 1 "Hearts Riding Club" Synchro Monster from your Extra Deck using this card and the targeted monster as Synchro Material.

[spoiler=Extra Deck]

Hearts Riding Club Champion - Akua aʻo Kai eʻe

Level 9 | WATER | Beast | Synchro | Effect

3200/2000

1 Spellcaster Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Beast monsters

You can only use the ② and ③ effects of this card's name each once per turn. ① If this card was Synchro Summoned using only "Hearts Riding Club" monsters, it is unaffected by your opponent's card effects. ② During either player's turn, if your opponent would Summon a monster(s) or activate a card effect: You can negate that Summon or card effect, and if you do, destroy it. ③ If a monster you control is destroyed by an opponent's card: You can inflict damage to your opponent equal to that monster's ATK.

Hearts Riding Club Champion - Crimson Glory

Level 8 | EARTH | Beast | Synchro | Effect

2400/3200

1 Spellcaster Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Beast monsters

You can only use the ③ effect of this card's name each once per turn. ① If this card was Synchro Summoned using only EARTH "Hearts Riding Club" monsters, your opponent cannot target monsters you control for attacks or card effects. ② Your opponent can only Special Summon monsters once per turn. ③ During either player's turn: You can target 1 card in your opponent's Graveyard; Set it to your side of the field, but banish it when it leaves the field.

Hearts Riding Club Champion - Sacred Flyer

Level 7 | LIGHT | Beast | Synchro | Effect

2600/2100

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Beast monsters

You can only use the ② and ③ effects of this card's name each once per turn. ① If this card was Synchro Summoned using only LIGHT "Hearts Riding Club" monsters, it cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects. ② You can Special Summon 1 Beast or Spellcaster monster from your hand or Graveyard, except "Hearts Riding Club Champion - Sacred Flyer". ③ You can banish 1 card your opponent controls or in their Graveyard.

Hearts Riding Club Champion - Dàxiāngjùfēng (大香颶風, great fragrant hurricane)

Level 6 | WIND | Beast | Synchro | Effect

2200/1800

You can only use the ② effect of this card's name each once per turn. ① If this card was Synchro Summoned using only "Hearts Riding Club" monsters, your opponent cannot destroy other monsters you control by battle or card effects. ② You can target 2 cards (1 card in your possession and 1 card in your opponent's possession); shuffle them into the Deck.

Hearts Riding Club Champion - Mitsurugi-enko

Level 5 | FIRE | Beast | Synchro | Effect

2100/1200

You can only use the ② effect of this card's name each once per turn. ① If this card was Synchro Summoned using only "Hearts Riding Club" monsters, your opponent cannot target other monsters you control with card effects. ② You can banish 1 card from your opponent's hand, then if it was a Monster Card, your opponent takes 600 damage.

[spoiler=Spell/Trap Cards]

Hearts Riding Club Academy

Spell | Field

You can only use each effect of this card's name once per turn. ① You can add 1 "Hearts Riding Club" card from your Deck, Graveyard or currently banished to your hand. ② During either player's turn: You can Special Summon 1 "Hearts Riding Club" Spellcaster monster from your hand or Graveyard.

Hearts Riding Club Competitive Drive

Spell | Continuous

① When a "Hearts Riding Club" monster you control battles, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step. ② Once per turn: You can target 1 "Hearts Riding Club" monster you control; this turn, if that monster battles an opponent's monster, double any battle damage that it inflicts to your opponent.

Hearts Riding Club Special Bond

Spell | Quick-Play

① Tribute 1 "Hearts Riding Club" monster; this turn, "Hearts Riding Club" monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle or card effects, also you take no battle damage from battles involving "Hearts Riding Club" monsters.

Hearts Riding Club Supremacy

Trap | Counter

① When a card or effect is activated while you control a "Hearts Riding Club" Synchro Monster: Negate that effect, and if you do, destroy it.

[spoiler=Side notes]

Yeah, I technically did another prompt that Draco made (well, name is my idea). Unlike last time, I modified it slightly to not rely on specific names and allow for more members to come around if needed. At the same time though, I guess you can consider their Synchro mechanics as revamped Accel Synchro, because they sort of can do this on their own.

(Though I have no intent on making this as large as the Archetypes this was based on).

At the time I'm posting this, it is not complete (though it should be strong enough to function on its own) and I intend on adding more later. General floor plan is thus:

• 4 Beasts of varying Attributes (all Level 4) - DONE
  • 4 "riders" with the same Attribute (levels 1-4) - Need to make the Level 1 FIRE
  • 4 Rider/beast combinations (levels 5-8) - Need to make the Level 5 FIRE and Level 6 WIND
  • Some support cards.
    • I'm kinda iffy on what to already give them here; except maybe more ways to actually recur the riders faster for Synchro plays. (One idea would be to do something similar to Feast of the Wild / Gouki Rematch, but idk right now.)
      • Field already does searching work and lets you spring the riders out,
      • Competitive Drive blocks the opponent from springing backrow or quick effects.
      • Special Bond protects from overall destruction, as the Beast members don't protect against those; only targeted (last two technically protect THEMSELVES if rider is up).

(After adding the last Tuner and other Synchros, this is probably going to be a completed project. I would prefer to keep this under 20 cards.)

I ripped the name off from a line of Build-A-Bear toys, so...that's why this has a riding theme. It'll probably be the first result on Google if you search the Archetype, so...

Thematically, just think of the Tuners as actual members of a riding club (yeah, the names are feminine, but doesn't mean that males don't do this either), as opposed to what Draco left in the prompt for a name. Beasts are named after specific ones (two of them are actually equestrian, one is a tiger and last one, you can take a guess at.) The Synchro members are a combination (thematically) of the rider/beast combo with the same Attribute; naming-wise, there's no particular pattern there.

====

That being said, general weaknesses (right now) are obviously floodgates that prevent you from using the Graveyard and/or Tributing/SSing stuff, though the field somewhat alleviates the banishing weakness. The riders are technically xenophobic and only let you Synchro Summon their respective members (but considering the generic pool is already great; both TCG/OCG and AGM custom, I'm not doing that). You still can run generic Synchros though, but just have to wait for your turn to do it.

So yeah, CnC this.

Reps/likes given to those who critique properly under the AC.

Stuff that was done this time around.

• Added the Level 6 WIND Synchro [yes, it has a transliterated Chinese name like the Main Deck rider/beast combo] and Level 1 rider (FIRE). Also modified Xiangfeng's effect text to say the correct name; I originally named it Zephyr, but changed it and forgot to synchronize the naming in the effect. (It is corrected now)
  • Modified the Synchro Summon effects on the riders (least their [2] effects).

Last stuff to be added will be the Level 5 FIRE Synchro, and I guess some last-minute S/T cards to give them some other options [though the Archetypes these were supposed to draw from technically have a low backrow count themselves]. Might need to make some fixes on existing stuff when the last stuff comes around, because I do have some concerns about a few of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just quickly on the MD monster's protection effects; seems a little too specific, yet generic, for my taste. The demand suggested just tying it to the name, and I feel that's less clunky, if more restrictive, in regards to the card's names. I mean, it potentially allows for further archetypal growth, but if you're going to make it that specific, I would suggest simply using the name restriction.

Palomino has your basic attack prevention, but only the weaker kind, where you can't lock down your opponent. Fortunately, this is balanced by its own protection, forcing your opponent to Raigeki or something similar in order to get around it. Simple enough, even with its stats.

Prancer is more offensive with its stats though, and also in its on battle-destruction effect. Yes, it is only OPT, but it is non-targeting, and it works with any Hearts Riding Club monster you control. Combines nicely with the speed present in the riders.

Fēnghǎiwān (almost tried typing that) has some destruction protection in lieu of the targeting protection, and I guess works nicely with the slightly better stats. The attacking directly...eh, doesn't mesh well with Prancer, and I don't really see why to have it at all, as the archetype doesn't seem to want to Saitama the opponent that much. Probably could replace it with another effect, that, while it doesn't have to completely support the archetype, it shouldn't have to hurt it either.

Honōtora has protection, and, while some of your Hearts Riding Club may have targeting protection, the riders don't, allowing for a sort of dual-protection to go on. Good idea.

Haruyo and Ruby cover the bases with Beast specific swarming, from all the normal locations. Synchro Summoning in hand is a nifty trick, requiring you either to use the Tribute effect on the field, or Synchro effect in the hand. Shame the swarming doesn't combine with said Synchro summoning, but at least you have the player being forced to choose what route they want to take. Considering how archetypal this archetype is, I'm not seeing many potential splashes.

Xiāngfēng and Akane, on the other hand, have the added benefit of working in the GY, not the hand, meaning you can use them, then apply their effect. Again, they have swarming, if not perhaps a little more powerful...interesting. I would suggest putting the L4 or lower restriction on the above cards, giving more reason to tribute them and buffing them just a tad, as these cards have the more powerful GY effect.

Crimson Glory...wow. Winda clause, probable protection from targeting, and HOPT Mimicat? Only thing keeping this card somewhat balanced is the unorthodox requirements; I don't know if any deck can easily bring this creature out. As it is, its probably fine, as you can only use one combination to properly bring it out.

Sacred Flyer has basic targeting protection, and swarming from your hand or GY. Neato, especially as this card has its own form of non-targeting non-destruction removal. To be honest, considering this lacks the Spellcaster requirement, it's not that hard to get out in a basic Beast deck these days. Just activate Obedience School, then Normal Summon a monster to bring the total levels beyond 6. I would suggest making the last effect target to balance that out, as adding the Spellcaster requirement nerfs it a little too much.

Dàxiāngjùfēng is a little weaker when compared to the other two, but its lack of protection is balanced by the fact that it can non-target shuffle all cards your opponent controls. Man, what an effect. Returning to Obedience School earlier, this card provides easy turn 2 plays for Beast decks, so perhaps...target? I dunno how to fix that, in all honesty. Perhaps make it a little less generic in terms of what card you shuffle for yourself?

Academy has a search -> summon effect, which I don't like...if only for flavour purposes. It provides no protection, so despite it being simple, it works. Not much else to say, really.

Drive adds to the virtually untouched battle portion of the archetype, but still doesn't make Fēnghǎiwān useful. Even the battle damage increasing effect might convince you NOT to use it. No HOPT is fine, as the first effect can't really stack in any shape or form, so good as is.

Special Bond doesn't do very much for a Tribute cost. It's not bad...I just don't see it being used with the protection granted by most other cards. Might make a side, depending on what kind of deck you go up against, but there are better sides. Adding targeting would be too much, prevent most forms of removal...I don't know what to do here either.

Supremacy is your mandatory counter. Good as is, as the Synchros are easy to get out (relatively).

Decent archetype, but a few cards seem a bit too much, especially the bosses. I will talk about the FIRE Synchro when you post it.

Yeah, I think I may have to make some of the bosses target instead of letting them freely hit whatever. Would technically still accomplish the same thing, except opponent has more ways of countering them. The WIND Synchro can be changed to just hit a set area instead of everywhere (including the banished area) and would still be sufficient enough.

Idea for Haruyo/Ruby is to let you revive the bosses (oh wait, Ruby's the only one that can let you revive them; Haruyo only grabs them from the Deck which limits you to the Level 4s.). May need to shuffle some of their effects around (well, among the four of them anyway). 

I'll look at fixing Fenghaiwan (would be nice if Chromebook had easier access to accented letters and stuff). I admit that the idea of that one is to let one of your bosses get a guaranteed hit on the opponent, even if they do somehow hit over 3000. Could look into weakening the opponent instead stat-wise. 

Drive's intended to stop the opponent from chaining hand traps / backrow / Grave triggers, because yeah, those do come up often (least from what happened on practice matches on YGOPro). Bond kinda sucks, yeah; might remove the Tribute cost, but even then. Maybe let it banish to revive something too.

===

As for the deviation from using specific names, I was going to add on other Tuner techs that could be used (which would mean other riders [in reality, one animal isn't solely linked to a single rider]), but at the same time, if the opponent plays DNA Transplant (uh, does anyone bother with that anymore?) or something, you're screwed. Also would prevent me from having to make another Beast (animal) to go with the new additions and risk making duplicates of already existing stuff. Chances are that I won't, and the name thing would be better. 

(Yes Draco, I can read the prompt, but modified it so thing actually works and not relying on a specific name; especially if Konami gets stupid and bans a certain member for whatever reason.)

===

Don't think anyone can bring out Crimson Glory except these (idk if anything in AGM can, least without a hybrid build anyway). Other two are semi-generic on their own. Level 5 may be like that too, but I'll have to see what to give it to fit thematically with the rider/beast combo. (Will be a tiger-based member since the beast itself is, yeah, one of them)

I did think about adding Level 5/6 members to fill the Attributes that I didn't do (WATER and DARK); thematically would be the top riders in the academy, but thinking that would result in overlap in effects. Maybe in legacy design, I'll consider it (or someone in this club does it). 

========

And yeah, thanks for the review. (Just have to update everything, and then let Draco do his thing later)

I get the type specification for the cannot be destroyed by card effect but attribute too? I would make it cannot be destroyed by battle or card effect for that kind of condition, usually. Considering how the members can cycle themselves around for different ones makes it weird for me. You essentially get into a position where 1 of them is protected of your choice, which is kinda pointless considering you're doing it for the level of the tuner rather than the protection of the Club cubs.

I would rather make it just Spellcaster Tuner and remove the attribute condition.

I also think if the Synchro AND Tuners are going to be that conditional on what they can summon, the Tuners should just be able to Synchro Summon any beast monster.

I think giving them a bit more utility in the extra deck won't break the meta considering it's the same kind of condition that the Crystron tuner's have.

Here's just a couple nitpick. Nothing important or anything but better to say it than not:

- I think Graveyard got replaced by GY.

- The field Spell is a bit TOO versatile in it''s searching capabilities, but that doesn't matter to much comparing it to Union Hanger.

- If Konami is trying to get rid of jargon text, why do we have to say monster after the type restriction? Am I going to have a Beast Spell in the future of Yugioh? This isn't about the archetype but the fact Konami hasn't gotten rid of this bothers me.

I have no other problems with how the archetype works. It's pretty well made in general.

I get the type specification for the cannot be destroyed by card effect but attribute too? I would make it cannot be destroyed by battle or card effect for that kind of condition, usually. Considering how the members can cycle themselves around for different ones makes it weird for me. You essentially get into a position where 1 of them is protected of your choice, which is kinda pointless considering you're doing it for the level of the tuner rather than the protection of the Club cubs.

I would rather make it just Spellcaster Tuner and remove the attribute condition.

I also think if the Synchro AND Tuners are going to be that conditional on what they can summon, the Tuners should just be able to Synchro Summon any beast monster.

I think giving them a bit more utility in the extra deck while not breaking the meta considering it''s the same kind of condition that the Crystron tuner's have.

Here's just a couple nitpick. Nothing important or anything but better to say it than not:

- I think Graveyard got replaced by GY.

- The field Spell is a bit TOO versatile in it''s searching capabilities, but that doesn't matter to much comparing it to Union Hanger.

- If Konami is trying to get rid of jargon text, why do we have to say monster after the type restriction? Am I going to have a Beast Spell in the future of Yugioh? This isn't aboUT the archetype but the fact Konami hasn't gotten rid of this bothers me.

I have no other problems with how the archetype works. It's pretty well made in general.

I could probably change it to remove the Attribute thing on the Beasts (to be fair, two of them are thematically themed on horses, one is reindeer-themed and other is tiger if the name wasn't obvious). It will break the prompt again, but sometimes you have to deviate from it to make stuff work. (Then again, there's not too many good Spellcaster Tuners here besides Effect Veiler or something).

For what it's worth, letting you summon any Beast Synchro instead of the rider combo forms wouldn't really kill anyone. Least you get some access to Team Unicorn aces (which would thematically fit in here to an extent) and I guess Leo, Sacred Keeper of the Tree or something. By extension, the Level 1 Tuner wouldn't need to wait for me to make the Level 5 FIRE form to be live. (Or in general, just make them less Archetype dependent on their bosses. Would be nice if Konami made more Beast Synchros, but they probably dumped them in favor of their preferential Types.)

====

As for wording stuff and other things.

1. Yeah, Graveyard got replaced by GY, but it's habitual since we've been writing it like that for a long period of time. (To be fair, most of us just say Grave; GY isn't the first thing that would come as a shorthand).

2. The searcher is technically all-around (which yeah, is all-around and you need to run it in triples), compared to stuff like 'specters who can search everything but require three different members. I would rather not make members that are only going to serve 1 particular purpose (a Trap searcher wouldn't be of much use because I only made one Trap Card thus far).

3. Ask Tewart why he got rid of certain things. Same with #1, if the Series 9 text comes up in cards, then it's just habit from writing it like that for so long. It was a few more keystrokes, but adding -Type sort of eliminated ambiguity between certain Types having their thing reflected in the name.

====

But yeah, thanks for the review.

Archived