[MtG] [HOU] Hour of Devastation Spoilers - Week 2

appeal / authority is a nice uncommon for limited. It's not quite aspect of the hydra but you can still get some blowouts with it. The authority part is a nice bonus too.

Hollow one looks like one of "those" cards. Pretty unassuming and most likely won't make any splashes in standard or above. Down the line there could be a card that breaks it in half. Mana reducing abilities are always inheritly powerful.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Black seems like the only one with any potential to see play. Sorcery speed anthems and pumps are just not good, especially with such a high cost. Also, that sweet as funk lightning bolt art gets put on a dogshit land. Thanks wizards, at least foils will be cheap for my collection.

I'm new to magic so I don't know what's good, but did you take into account that you can target yourself?

Certain strategies care about self mill and there are much more efficient cards for this. Being on a land has certain benefits but overall its pretty overcosted for its effect.

Black seems like the only one with any potential to see play. Sorcery speed anthems and pumps are just not good, especially with such a high cost. Also, that sweet as f*** lightning bolt art gets put on a dogshit land. Thanks wizards, at least foils will be cheap for my collection.

Certain strategies care about self mill and there are much more efficient cards for this. Being on a land has certain benefits but overall its pretty overcosted for its effect.

In a Standard Desert deck, with Ramanup Excavator, it may be a worthwhile effect. Sorta like a Loam on a land.

I'm new to magic so I don't know what's good, but did you take into account that you can target yourself?

I honestly hadn't considered it but using 3 mana (you need to tap the land itself) and giving up a land seems really bad just to mill yourself a little. The giving up the land is the biggest strike against it really. 

Funny how Deserts prevent you from flooding. (y)

To be more on topic, I think the white one's the best for Constructed. Mono-white aggro won't care about the life loss, and that anthem effect can push through the last bit of damage you need. Shame about it being sorcery speed, though, but I guess two or more of these at instant speed could induce a headache.

EDIT 2: Now that I think of it, with Fraying Sanity beefing up an already half-decent mono-blue mill deck, the blue desert may be the best. Three mana: mill 8 isn't the worst thing in the world, particularly if you add other Deserts in and make it repeatable. Would probably mainboard Scavenger Grounds in that instance.

CBn1kmd.png

Chaos Maw 5RR

Creature - Hellion {R}

When ~ enters the battlefield, it deals 3 damage to each other creature.

6/6

EDIT:

*cackles maniacally*

tlQmmae.png9O0lZgQ.png

After thinking it over, I can find uses for it in my EDH decks. The first that comes to mind is to use it to exile Progenitor Mimic then when it returns have it target one of the clones it made last time it was on the battlefield and generate two clones a turn

Well, nothing too special for today. Imminent doom is just bad. Too many hoops to jump through for very little payoff. Hour of promise is just another EDH bulk rare but being able to grab any two lands is pretty good in EDH.

The Hellion is pretty weak. The effect is super common on red rares so meh.

I love the art on Doom. Seriously, Bolas looks like he is having the time of his life destroying everything. Card seems real bad though.

Hour of Promise seems solid. Getting any 2 lands can be worth it in the right deck. Likely going to consider it for Gitrog.

Endless Sands is ok. The problem with this type of effects is losing whatever is holding the creature so this being a land makes it pretty safe. But I honestly don't think the effect is that valuable either way.

0z6qPYl.png

Jhyp72b.jpg

Razaketh's Invocation 3BB
Sorcery {U}
Search your library for a card and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Cycling B (B, Discard this card: Draw a card.)

Two more. Both are limited fodder, but the Invocation at least may have a spot in New Perspectives combo. If you haven't drawn into the enchantment yet, you can grab it for next turn: and if you have, you can just cycle it away.

Aaand last one for tonight. We already have this effect a lot in Standard, and I don't think a 5-mana Mind Rot is a good justification for picking it over its competitors.

PwFdlch.png

EDIT: So one thing I overlooked is that you can Torrential Gearhulk into Oblivion, essentially making your opponent discard at instant speed. Makes this much more appealing all of a sudden...

torrential can only hit instants

5 mana mind rot is bad

Split cards work weird with Torrential. If one half of the card is a legal target Torrential can target the whole card. From there you can cast the sorcery mode even if you couldn't normally for timing reasons.

Anyway, Consign to Oblivion might be one of the strongest aftermath cards. Bounce their best card then on your turn make them discard it and anything else they are holding onto seems REALLY strong in limited. The Gearhulk interaction makes me thing it could get there in constructed too.

Split cards work weird with Torrential. If one half of the card is a legal target Torrential can target the whole card. From there you can cast the sorcery mode even if you couldn't normally for timing reasons.

Anyway, Consign to Oblivion might be one of the strongest aftermath cards. Bounce their best card then on your turn make them discard it and anything else they are holding onto seems REALLY strong in limited. The Gearhulk interaction makes me thing it could get there in constructed too.

.... that's cool... but... oh... yea ... i think i see.. casting oblivion free stapled onto gearhulk seems really good. 

We start off today with a single spoiler, but it's certainly a very cool one.

magic_vizir_des_consacres_0.jpg

Vizier of Consecrations 3U

Creature - Human Cleric (U)

When ~ enters the battlefied, search your library for a card with Embalm or Eternalize, put it in your graveyard, then shuffle your library.

Whenever you Eternalize or Embalm, draw a card.

2/4

Archived