[Finished]AGM Archetype Design Contest #1! (Boss Phase)

Draconus297

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler=I'M IN CHARGE NOW]
Arachne Pirate Deity Kraknepod
WATER
Level 10
Insect / Effect
This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. During your Battle Phase, if at least 3 "Arachne Pirate" monsters you control attacked your opponent directly this turn: You can banish 2 "Arachne Pirate" cards from your Graveyard to Special Summon this card. During either player's Battle Phase: Your opponent cannot active card effects. If this card would be destroyed, you can banish 2 "Arachne Pirate" cards from your Graveyard instead. When your Life Points are 4000 or more higher than your opponent's: You win the game.
3000 / 3000
Β 
Arachne Pirate Deity Arthy Jones
WATER

Level 9

Insect / Fusion / Effect

2 "Arachne Pirate" monsters with different names
Must first be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) during your Battle Phase by banishing the above cards you control. (You do not use "Polymerization".).Β If your Life Points are higher than your opponent's: You can Special Summon this card during either player's Battle Phase instead. When this card is Summoned: Increase the ATK and DEF of all other face-up "Arachne Pirate" monsters you control by 800 until your next Battle Phase.Β This card can attack your opponent directly, but when it uses this effect, any Battle Damage it inflicts to your opponent is halved.Β If this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent by a direct attack: Until your next Standby Phase, "Arachne Pirate" monsters you control cannot be destroyed.

2400 / 0

Β 

[spoiler=Boss Puns Already Taken] Anansi, Trickster of the Arachne Pirates
Rank 3 ~ WATER ~ Insect/Xyz/Effect
1900/1900
3 Level 3 Insect monsters

You can also Xyz Summon this card using 1 Xyz Monster Summoned using an "Arachne Pirate" material (even if it is no longer attached), as material. While this card has a material, it cannot be targeted for an attack or by your opponent's cards or effects. If this card attacks directly and inflicts battle damage: Detach all materials from this card (min. 1); your opponent skips their next Draw Phase, but if they do, at the start of the End Phase of that turn, they must add 1 of the bottom 4 cards of their Deck to their hand (their choice, without looking), ignoring card effects that would prevent them from doing so.
Β 

Macrocheira, Scavenger of the Endless Sea
Rank 4 ~ WATER ~ Aqua/Xyz/Effect
1600/1600
2+ Level 4 WATER monsters

If a card(s) would be sent to your opponent's GY or banished in their possession, both by the effect of a WATER monster you control, you can attach it to this card as material instead. This card cannot gain ATK except by its own effect. This card gains 200 ATK/DEF for each material attached to it during damage calculation only. If this card leaves the field, you can return any number of its Pendulum Monster materials face-up to the Extra Deck instead of sending them to the GY, also, you can banish any number of materials your opponent owns instead of sending them to the GY.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Edit: Was going back and forth on materials and stat gain amount for Macrocheira and wording for Anansi.

Edit: Wording fix for Anansi, the deadline is at PST right?

Just to build suspense, I'm going to edit this post once I've said everything I need to say per applicant, with (mostly) final grades posted. It's going to take time to write out each one, so I'm not going to be done for a few hours.

Β 

Also, Aman, don't worry- the next contest will actually be next week! One time only, we're going to have two of these back-to-back, to make up for the deficit of members the AGM lost early on.

Β 

Remember, 1st place has a choice- majority of the pot, or AGM membership. Whatever they don't choose goes to 2nd, and 3rd gets the last chunk of Points.

Β 

Another thing I'd like to point out is that whoever does become a member has two duties from this juncture: 1. Put your information in the Archetype Generator Meta thread proper, so anyone who shows up can see your proud status as a member. 2. Post the Arachne Pirate archetype as you created it in Advanced Multiples, and put the link in the group thread. Due to CC rules, you'll also need a quick explanation of how you intend everything to work. Additionally, you can ask me to work my magic and make additional support that makes everything run a little smoother, hit a little harder, etc., because I have had a hard time restraining my own input for fun value.

Β 

Starting with last round's leader, .Belle:

Literacy (25 points)- 22/25. This is a very solid pair of bosses, with good ties to the archetype function, but . . . somewhere along the way, you lost sight of the "theft" goal. I'm not knocking you too hard, as it's a very tricky thing to balance, and I imagine that you just kinda quit on that idea. Still, given that you gave our pirate spiders what they needed, I'm happily giving high marks here.

Β 

Creativity (25 points)- 25/25. It's rare that you use a boss as an engine to recoup resources, but . . . here we are. In addition, the fact that Tsuchigumo is a Tribute monster that revives itself from the Banished Zone makes it a unique concept, and it's a draw engine after all that. If we had a system for extra credit points, I'd give them here.

Β 

Balance (20 points)- 17/20. Maybe using Ulti-Falcon as an example was a bad idea. Again, Tsuchigumo is without a doubt ideal for the cause, but Jorougumo is the unfortunate lead weight here. If you Fusion Summon it, you not only have a solid boss with a Towers clause, but you basically have your own archetypal Dr. Red that sets you up for making another one. Triple Jorougumo boards can burn your opponent to death without fear, and given this archetype's very good consistency it'll be about as common as Towers Turbo was with getting multiple Towers up and running.

Β 

Interactivity (20 points)- 18/20. Now, while these bosses aren't exactly splashable engines of doom, they do leave a lot of room for ridiculous shenanigans, including Eternal Battleship variants that will end in burn OTKs. Still, given their difficulty of access, I'm willing to cut some slack here.

Β 

OCG (10 points)- 10/10. I personally can't find any errors.

Β 

646/700 (~92.27% - A-)

Β 

Next is Octosquid, who was in second place as of last round.

Β 

Literacy (25 points)- 25/25. THIS. This is what I wanted to see. Both of these make very solid options for bigger beaters, and they still do what the archetype wants and needs.

Β 

Creativity (25 points)- 25/25. One makes your opponent Reckless Greed, the other is a mini version of Numerix-088, and that's not even acknowledging the R3's interesting Summoning condition.

Β 

Balance (20 points)- 16/20. They're neat, but really neither of them . . . does much of anything. Anansi just kinda vaguely inconveniences your opponent at best, and why in hell is its detach mandatory? Meanwhile, Macrocheira is really, really good at doing what it needs to, even though what it needs to do is "tie up your opponent's stuff", so it makes up for Anansi's . . . *cough* shortcomings *cough cough*.

Β 

Interactivity (20 points)- 18/20. Meh, they can play with others as well as they can play with Pirates. Anansi's Summoning condition is also good at making it a Plan B in case your primary Xyz plays don't work out, and if you run a few Firefighter Dragons (of all things) you can make sure Macrocheira has some extra ATK numbers.

Β 

OCG (10 points) - 8/10

"Material" is always capitalized -1

The clause you were looking for is "While this card has Xyz Material" -1

Β 

627/700 (~89.57% - B+)

Β 

Lastly, Reptilious, who was suffering from an unfortunate lead over him . . .

Β 

Literacy (25 points)- 17/25. Whyyyyyyyyyy. Yes, the direct-attack focus remains, but you've become so far removed from the point that you're practically making another archetype at this point.

Β 

Creativity (25 points)- 25/25. Well, I can't fault you here. I mean, nothing about these is typical, and most things don't work like these. Full marks(?).

Β 

Balance (20 points)- 8/20. Just for adding a "You win" clause, I had to dock you heavily, especially for how easy a condition it is to satisfy. This tips the archetype function less on "resource punching" and more on "Summon the boss or bust", which is never healthy for an archetype. Just . . . no.

Β 

Interactivity (20 points)- 0/20. This is the hardest red mark I could ever give an archetype, again because these bosses are too easy to get going and absolutely absurd for what they do. You should never be able to activate an instant win condition on your first turn, yet with the help of cards like Storm Surge and WATER's impressive consistency lineup that's exactly what you can do.

Β 

OCG (10 points)- 2/10

You're trying for "Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set". -1

Where are you Summoning from? -1

Did you mean "Your opponent cannot activate card effects during the Battle Phase"? -2

"You win the game", my god: it's "You win the Duel". -2

Arthy's Summoning condition is a text nightmare -2

Β 

547.5/700 (~78.21% - C+)

Β 

Cognis: 157/700 (~22.42%, F)

Aman Indra: 510.5/700 (~72.92%, C-)

Alright, once Tinkerer's grades are in, we can announce the winner. Now, Reptilious is not leaving 3rd (to do so would require him to get 80/100 at minimum, and for Octosquid, .Belle, or both to flunk HARD) and Aman and Cognis didn't have a Phase 4 submission to grade (even a late one), so it's really a race between our two frontrunners, Octosquid and .Belle. If Octosquid makes up the 19-point deficit (perfect 100 while .Belle gets 80 or less, or any other situation that ends in a 20 point lead for Octo), they win the contest; if not, they take 2nd.

.Belle

Literacy: 25/25

Creativity: 24.5/25

Balance: 19/20

Interactivity: 19/20

OCG: 10/10

Β 

Reptilious

Balance: 17.5/20

Interactivity: 15/20

OCG: 8/10

Β 

Octosquid

Balance: 18/20

Interactivity: 18/20

OCG: 9/10

Β 

My grades. If you want the reasoning behind them, just hit me up via PM. Too sleepy to write out anything...

.Belle: 743.5/800 (92.9375%) A- 1st place. Your choice- the points, or the membership.

Β 

Octosquid: 721.5/800 (90.1875%) A- 2nd place.

Β 

Reptilious: 637.5/800 (79.6875%) C+ 3rd place. 1/3 of the pot, which totals to 1833 points, rounded down because the infinitely repeating decimal is <5.

Β 

Aman Indra: 510.5/800 (63.8125%) D 4th place. That last round was unfortunate, because you had a real shot there.

Β 

Cognis: 157/800 (19.625%) F Last place. Where did you even go?

Archived