Antiquility Archetype (7/7)

Atypical-Abbie

Antiquility is an Archetype Psychic/DARK Trap monsters with various Levels and 1 Link Monster. They focus on an alternate win condition that you achieve by having 5 Trap monsters on the field, then after 3 turns of placing counters on the boss monster, you win the duel. Each monster has an effect that makes them unaffected by card effects, except Trap effects.

The name is a portmanteau of anti and tranquility, and the Traps' names come from the 5 stages of joy in Theravada Buddhism and the Link Monster refers to Nirvana, which roughly means the end of rebirth and reincarnation, hence the Duel winning aspect and the re-use of the cards. The name is also meant to be an ironic subversion of the concept of joy and tranquility in general, as someone who does not have a full understanding of Buddhism, nor believes in it, but finds it interesting.

Extra Deck Monsters:

Antiquility Nirvana

Psychic/DARK/Link

Link Arrows: Bottom Left/Bottom/Bottom Right

3 Traps that are monsters

Gains 500 ATK for each Trap that is a monster this card points to. Unaffected by card effects, except Trap effects. If you control 5 Traps that are monsters, including at least 1 "Antiquility" card, during each of your End Phases, place 1 Nirvana Counter on this card. When 3 Nirvana Counters are on this card, you win the Duel.  

2000/LINK-3

Spell/Traps:

Antiquility Temple

Field Spell

When this card is activated: You can add 1 "Antiquility" Trap from your Deck to your hand. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can send 1 face-up "Antiquility" Trap that is a monster to the GY, then target 1 "Antiquility" Trap in your GY with a different name; Set that target, also if you control "Antiquility Nirvana", you can activate that card this turn. You can only activate 1 "Antiquility Temple" per turn.

Antiquility Khuddaka

Continuous Trap

Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Psychic/DARK/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0). (This card is also still a Trap.) If Summoned this way, it is unaffected by card effects, except Trap effects, also each turn, the first time an "Antiquility" monster you control would be destroyed by battle, it is not destroyed.   

Antiquility Khanika

Continuous Trap

Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Psychic/DARK/Level 2/ATK 500/DEF 500). (This card is also still a Trap.) If Summoned this way, it is unaffected by card effects, except Trap effects. If Summoned this way, once per turn (Quick Effect): You can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; change it to face-down Defense Position.

Antiquility Okkantika

Continuous Trap

Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Psychic/DARK/Level 3/ATK 1000/DEF 1000). (This card is also still a Trap.) If Summoned this way, it is unaffected by card effects, except Trap effects. If Summoned this way, once per turn (Quick Effect): You can target 3 Traps in your GY with different names; shuffle them into the Deck, then draw 1 card.

Antiquility Ubbega

Continuous Trap

Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Psychic/DARK/Level 4/ATK 1500/DEF 1500). (This card is also still a Trap.) If Summoned this way, it is unaffected by card effects, except Trap effects. If Summoned this way, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in response to the activation and effects of "Antiquility" cards.

Antiquility Pharana

Continuous Trap

Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Psychic/DARK/Level 5/ATK 2000/DEF 2000). (This card is also still a Trap.) If Summoned this way, it is unaffected by card effects, except Trap effects, also all other Traps that are monsters gain 300 ATK and DEF for each "Antiquility" monster you control.

This is an interesting concept. Hopefully, Paleozoics don't get a Link Monster.

The thing about Paleozoics vs archetypes like these is that they don't block off your spell/trap card zones, which may be an oversight considering the last time I say an actual continuous trap monster was months ago. Also, how are you possibly going to get 3 traps out for Nirvana, then 5 more for the effect? Especially when there's the fact it needs 3 turns. If they let you have that many monsters for 3 turns, they're probably already dead before the second turn ends. 

I like how Pharana is actually pretty good, considering the cards have pretty good protection from your opponent's stuff and that your monsters have inadequate stats. 

How to improve:

- Would probably make more sense for them to be normal trap monsters so they don't take up your back row zones

- Nirvana should activate at the end of the next turn that you control 5 different trap monsters if you don't scrap the effect entirely.

- Add another lower link monster that sets a trap directly from your GY and maybe something else.

- Add some gimmick that isn't just unaffected by monsters and spells.

- Be a bit more strict on the archetype conditions so that splashing with Paleozoics is harder. Having them as just support for the Paleos would be kinda sad.

Hope you appreciate the comment. I try to be constructive, but if it isn't to your fancy you can just ignore my advice.

This is an interesting concept. Hopefully, Paleozoics don't get a Link Monster.

The thing about Paleozoics vs archetypes like these is that they don't block off your spell/trap card zones, which may be an oversight considering the last time I say an actual continuous trap monster was months ago. Also, how are you possibly going to get 3 traps out for Nirvana, then 5 more for the effect? Especially when there's the fact it needs 3 turns. If they let you have that many monsters for 3 turns, they're probably already dead before the second turn ends. 

I like how Pharana is actually pretty good, considering the cards have pretty good protection from your opponent's stuff and that your monsters have inadequate stats. 

How to improve:

- Would probably make more sense for them to be normal trap monsters so they don't take up your back row zones

- Nirvana should activate at the end of the next turn that you control 5 different trap monsters if you don't scrap the effect entirely.

- Add another lower link monster that sets a trap directly from your GY and maybe something else.

- Add some gimmick that isn't just unaffected by monsters and spells.

- Be a bit more strict on the archetype conditions so that splashing with Paleozoics is harder. Having them as just support for the Paleos would be kinda sad.

Hope you appreciate the comment. I try to be constructive, but if it isn't to your fancy you can just ignore my advice.

I realize that, but you have to be careful around alternate win conditions. Having 5 up is suppose to be a challenge, but the way I designed them I believe that you can accomplish that. It's called an alternate win condition for a reason, you can also do it another way by just attacking and what not, but that's just a fun little thing you can do.

I wanted them to be Trap monsters, designing them otherwise was never my intention.

You mean win if you just have 5? No, I don't like that idea, it shouldn't be an instant win, you should have to work up to it, a win is such a huge deal that you have to be careful.

I am done with this Archetype, I am not adding more cards, it's not a huge Archetype like many others, but a small one like Traptrix for example (unless you include all the Trap Hole cards I guess)

Why add another "gimmick"? They already are unique enough to me.

Paleozoics are not Traps on the field, it will not work with them, so that's not a problem. Can't even make the Link Monster with them.

Well, how I see it is that if it's harder than Exodia, then it is underpowered. There are a lot of underpowered win conditions that just don't see play. In that case, they wouldn't be alternate anymore, they would just be unnecessary. There's a new Six Sam card that requires you to control 6 six sams with different attributes. The reward is to skip the opponent's turn. It's basically a win condition after 1 turn (it's a trap), but no one is ever going to play the card except for the lols.

If you were to balance it with Exodia, which takes 5 cards in your hand without even activating them for an instant win condition, then I would say that 3 different face-up traps or "Antiquility" monsters (since you could use a link 1 to shift down the link monster to have it's linked zones in the spell/trap card zones) and since it's 3 cards that have to be there by the end phase rather than 5 it's a little more doable. There could be a couple of exploits, but isn't that the point of having a win condition? To use the mechanics you have available to win? 

Well, how I see it is that if it's harder than Exodia, then it is underpowered. There are a lot of underpowered win conditions that just don't see play. In that case, they wouldn't be alternate anymore, they would just be unnecessary. There's a new Six Sam card that requires you to control 6 six sams with different attributes. The reward is to skip the opponent's turn. It's basically a win condition after 1 turn (it's a trap), but no one is ever going to play the card except for the lols.

If you were to balance it with Exodia, which takes 5 cards in your hand without even activating them for an instant win condition, then I would say that 3 different face-up traps or "Antiquility" monsters (since you could use a link 1 to shift down the link monster to have it's linked zones in the spell/trap card zones) and since it's 3 cards that have to be there by the end phase rather than 5 it's a little more doable. There could be a couple of exploits, but isn't that the point of having a win condition? To use the mechanics you have available to win? 

Exodia was designed to be a random chance, since there were not any real way to quickly get them in the hand. Then there was, and that forced them to limit them to at least keep them around. They now work around stalling and drawing a lot. That is easy to play, and if you have the right cards, your opponent cannot do anything. I don't want to design that way, so I will never make it easier than Exodia, because that is the one win condition that is easy, the others are hard, and they should be. I have changed it so it doesn't need to be with different names, as that I realize is a much harder task to do for 3 turns than it should be, but I will probably not do anything more with that. And I'm not doing any more cards.

Yeah, but the other "win conditions" are never relevant or played because there's no reason to. If there's no reason to play that way, why have the win condition at all? Venoms never get used, Gimmick Puppets barely rogue status never even use their win conditions (the 2 of them that they have), FINAL and Final Countdown are alright, but Exodia is still better, and for that reason, the decks aren't even competitive in locals, and that new Six Sam card that might as well be a win condition has its requirements so drastic that if you have the requirements alone you already win. 

Win Conditions should be hard to pull off, but they shouldn't be inconsistent or impossible. The Six Sam one is hard to pull off, but with their ability to turbo out cards they can at least pull it off if they try hard enough. If you want to make an archetype win condition, but it's requirements at the same speed as the deck itself. It doesn't seem to generate much card draw, so how are you going to get that many traps to get into the position to pull it off? 

The link 3 + 5 traps with different names and have all of them out on the field for 3 turns. How are you not going to win by then? Rather you get mirror forced or you inflict 8000 damage. If they're playing something stall, then it might work, but then again they probably have a mirror force.

Exodia was never meant to be usable, but with all the draw power (and Royal Magical Library) the card sped up to the point it could probably be seen as playable forever as long as they keep getting more draw power and RML doesn't get banned.

So here's my final advice: make the win condition playable, or just throw it out entirely. You may not want it to be consistent to pull off, but with this game as fast as it is, the effect is rather going to be negated, destroyed, or Kaiju'd anyway. Make it at least playable outside of a group of friends that don't have money.

Archived