[CHQ] Dawn of the Dead

Alaina

"Huh."

A lot of things happened. It was kind of exciting. Some part of Kasayee was intrigued by the rather impressive magic that was on display. Did she just break a curse? That's how it seemed. She supposed that was probably what she had been meant to do. So they could leave now right? And she could sleep again. That would be nice.

"Thank you for dealing with whatever happened here, and pardon me for not being much of use. I'm not sure whether we really had dealt with the undead issues of this town fully, but from what I saw earlier, someone really was trying to do something with this tomb.

What did you guys fight earlier, anyway?"

"An enemy." Came Kasayee's response. She didn't know exactly what it was, nor did she care. The other human could answer if he wanted but there was no point in dwelling on it. "We're done now right?" She said.

No. Well. They might be done. She wasn't. She could feel it. Something outside. Similar to what she had felt from before. With a sigh Kasayee went outside to confront the spirits that still lingered.

Her eyes instinctively narrowed at the sudden brightness. The dark shroud from before was entirely gone now and the sun shone brightly upon them.

The first thing she noticed was the corpses laying around. Dead, inanimate, as they were meant to be. Some might be off-put by the sight but it relieved Kasayee to see the bodies laying around as was natural.

She then was drawn to the spirits wandering around, confused. "Hello." She greeted them. "Why have you not moved on yet? The curse is broken."

"this is our home, one which we keep vigil over and yet...curse, you say?"

"This land was cursed. Or rather, this building. I thought it was keeping you here...but was I wrong? It is not necessary for you to remain, you should move to the next stage in life."

The spirit seemed pensive as Kasayee informed them of the curse, looking towards the building with a somber tone saying, "how dreadful." It turned back to Kasayee stating, "there is no curse that binds those of us who remain here, merely our wish to observe and aid those in the living who succeed us."

Kasayee frowned. "The natural course is for you to leave...the living must take their path on their own. I will not force you but it is...not right to linger for too long."

"The concern is appreciated, yet you may find the spirit to be quite stubborn," the spirit seemed to have a small smile as it said this. Turning more somber it said, "oh but, if what you said about the curse is true, then beware the man with the ravenous soul. If nature is what you seek to protect, then he is a great danger to it."

Why were they always so vague? She didn't want to expend more energy on this so she just let it go. "I will come back later. Eventually you must move on." She told the spirit, matter-of-factly, before wandering out of the graveyard.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Thank you for dealing with whatever happened here, and pardon me for not being much of use. I'm not sure whether we really had dealt with the undead issues of this town fully, but from what I saw earlier, someone really was trying to do something with this tomb. What did you guys fight earlier, anyway?"

"An enemy." The druid responded in her usual manner. "We're done now right?"

Vincent couldn't help but find himself in agreement. Sighing, he looked down at the gashes across his chest and studied them with a frown. With his adrenaline reserve now suddenly hitting empty, the pain from the boy's wounds were finally screaming for attention.

"Undead." He glanced at Celica before moving aside to make way for the druid to continue towards the exit. Vincent grumbled and held his shirt to his chest to slow the bleeding whilst he began towards the exit as well. "You read the briefing right? What else would it be..." 

Ignoring the druid and her conversation with what he could only presume to be a nature spirit or whatever, Vincent dragged his feet back towards town.

"Five people in this shithole... one of 'em has gotta own a first aid kit." He mumbled through gritted teeth, dreading the prospect of having to sit through a whole carriage ride before getting treat back at the guild base. 

As Vincent started to make his way out of the graveyard, a familiar face would meet him halfway. The seemingly disappointed face of the undertaker said, "ah dang flabbajibit." His gaze was not on Vincent, but instead the bodies strewn across the ground. "Rascint varmals didn't put themselves back. Oh," his eyes then met the Xel'Cie. "You aren't dead! Sort of," he noticed the wound Vincent had. "Well, I'll be, them there bodies weren't really threatnin' or nothin' but you ain't even got a shovel. You young'uns are full of surprises." After congratulating(?) Vincent, the man then sighed as he merely stop paying attention to the boy and not even seeming to care about the naked lizard girl as he began to go to his job of putting the bodies back in there graves. Albeit, rather haphazardly. 

A few moments after this happened, the man who had greeted them at the front gate came around. While he still looked as ragged and tired as ever, squinting more so then before as the daylight was breaking through, there was a sense of relief that could be felt from him. "I have no idea what you all did but whatever it was, thank-" he then saw Vincent's wound and said, "right, yeah. You should get that looked at. We have some stuff for it back at the guardhouse." Looking back to them as a group he then said, "yeah, yeah, anyway, thanks again. I have no idea what happened here and I don't think we could've lived here much longer if it persisted and-" he looked at Kasayee and said, "yeah I still can't get over that. Anyway, like, um, like, what even happened here?"

[spoiler=OOC]

Here it is guys, Respond to this and ask any last minute questions that you feel like but, if you don't, you can mention how the carriage that brought you there is still around town and can take you back to the town of Prunus. So yeah.

Having finished her talk with the spirit it seemed that the villagers were coming in. The undertaker was to put the bodies in the ground...wasteful, there's no point in using all that energy just to put corpses into a hole in the ground.

Next was the guard who seemed to still have whatever problem with her as before.

"Anyway, like, um, like, what even happened here?"

"A curse. It's broken now. The spirits here are no longer harmful." She was intending to just leave after saying this but she felt a nagging to ask a question before she left. "Does 'man with the ravenous soul' mean anything to you?"

"wh-what? Uh, no?"

Kasayee shrugged and continued onward. She hadn't expected such a vague statement to get any particular reaction. The carriage they arrived in was still around town and so she headed there right after, leaving the other two to wrap things up as they wished. This time she got into the carriage itself and sprawled herself across one of the seats, making the other two have to share the other seat.

She closed her eyes to rest. "Ravenous soul...what kind of threat are you..." she mumbled. Unless spoken to she would continue to rest the rest of the way, muttering about this mysterious entity every once in a while.

The druid really didn't want to bother about it. However sometime told her she would be unable to avoid it. Something like that...a message from a spirit, a danger to nature itself, it was probably something that would come to her eventually. Or something her instincts would guide her to.

It seemed as though she had a "purpose" now.

How annoying.

"What's with the unspirited answers?"

The rest of the trip out of the mausoleum had Celica in a pretty glum state. She wasn't really feeling down, just quite irritated, a rare occasion of that happening. They soon would come outside and was greeted by the guards, and then everything was sorted out to some degrees. Yet, of course, Celica still wanted answers. What's with this person that dared to desecrate the tomb of a Knight? And where's Serena anyway? Well, mulling over it too much wouldn't be good for her. She noticed that the carriage that got them there was still in the town, and decided to address the others.

"Alright so Kasayee, can you help tend Vincent's wound? You two return first, I would need to find Serena. Once you two return to the guild, I expect a written report about today's quest in my room.

That is an order. See you later."

It was quite uncharacteristic of her to say it like that, but with the current situation, all that she could think of was the tomb and whoever messed with it. Once she finished saying those words, she turned around and rushed back towards the mausoleum.

[spoiler=OOC]
This'd be the end for me.

Vincent groaned at the prospect of writing a written report, and only responded to the towns folk with grunts and snorts as he trudged into town in search for some supplies to patch himself up. He was fed up with this place...

After sloppily dressing his wounds, the boy dragged his feet towards the carriage and blinked slightly at the sight of the druid girl sitting inside. Grunting, Vincent blew a lock of hair out of his face before pulling himself up and onto the the wooden floor.

Sighing he laid flat on his back whilst propping both arms behind his head to serve a pillows. Though he wanted nothing more but to close his eyes and forget this day had ever happened, something was bothering him and he knew the lizard girl was probably the only one who felt it too.

Without turning to face the druid, he sighed once more whilst peering up at the ceiling. "Bad mojo like what we saw in there doesn't just happen out of nowhere." As he spoke he allowed his eyes to slowly close. "We won the battle, but something tells me the war hasn't even started yet..."

With Vincent's ominous words being the last thing said between the duo before the group left, the carriage rode off into the distance, going back to their guild hall. Celica would spend all the time she could looking for Serena in the town, but she would find nothing as it appeared the sword wielding girl had left. The undertaker would tend to the grounds, reburying everything, the guards would be able to sleep without needing to worry of an ever-present danger and the common people would leave their homes and go about their old day to day business. With the dead no longer moving, the town of Sigfran was safe, and the mission complete. 

1 Week Later

A figure, standing outside of the town of Sigfran looked up towards the sky. "My, my, my. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and it would appear that the dead are where they should be. Well, it would appear as though this was a failure, yet, all the same. What fun it seems to be over yonder horizon. Now, let's see," pulling a paper from his pocket, seeming to be a request to deal with the undead problem, the man simply said, "who took you on?" 

Rt9Yxkp.png

Archived