New photo may prove that Amelia Earhart was captured by the Japanese.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/07/05/new-photo-may-prove-amelia-earhart-captured-japanese/451521001/

This showed up on FaceBook's trending topics thing. I thought it was interesting enough for a thread. While there is no definitive proof it is her or she was captured, it's definitely interesting to see this pop up after 80 years.

Stuff like this pops up all the time. Every few years there is a new piece of inconclusive "evidence". If it were able to prove anything, you would see it on the news, not discovery channel.

That reality kinda killed "hunting Bigfoot" type shows for me when I was younger. I knew they weren't gonna find sheet, because if they did I would already know about it.

Ah yes, "the news". 

1aals7.jpg

What would we ever do without it? 

Well we wouldn't post spam for one.

Also yeah I really don't see how the image proves anything, much less Amelia Earhart's capture by the Japanese. Maybe I'm just not looking at it close enough, but if it really proves anything that major, you shouldn't have to look close to find it I think. Could be wrong.

It's an interesting idea but I wouldn't put much stock into it until more evidence crops up.

I thought I heard a theory where she flew over a methane vent in the ocean where it messed with the plane circuitry and caused her to crash. And the methane in the water would lower the buoyancy of the water and cause the aircraft to sink more quickly, which helped erase any trace of it.

Incidentally, that's the mystery behind the Bermuda Triangle. Ships would sink more easily, planes would go down, and the methane would give the sunken crafts a ghastly appearance since it turned the water green.

Little odd to think that some of life's greatest mysteries are attributed to ocean farts.

Incidentally, that's the mystery behind the Bermuda Triangle. Ships would sink more easily, planes would go down, and the methane would give the sunken crafts a ghastly appearance since it turned the water green.

I hate to break it to you, but the Bermuda Triangle is nothing special. There really aren't an unusual number of disappearances. People like to say there are, because it is a really fun narrative to peddle; everyone loves a good ghost story.

The reason there are so many cases in that area isn't some supernatural, or even scientific phenomenon. It is simple statistics. The Bermuda Triangle (as well as the entire region connecting the Gulf of Mexico to the Atlantic Ocean) is ridiculously high-trafficked. Ship routes cross through it a hell of a lot. Of course the occasional one will go missing, that happens everywhere.

What people often fail to mention is the hundreds of thousands of trips through the area that suffer absolutely no issue at all, because there ultimately is nothing special about the Bermuda Triangle.

A little off-topic, but eh

Archived