New Card Concepts for Railway Archetype

Ultimagamer

I personally enjoy playing Trains. They are a pretty fun xyz spam archetype with a cool visual design. 

I've always thought they needed a little more in archetype support, given that cards such as "Train Connection" are as bad as they are.

Clear and Rescue

Quick Play Spell Card

During either players' turn when a monster declares a direct attack, you may activate this effect. Negate that attack, then end the battle phase. Immediately after this effect resolves, special summon one level 10 earth machine type monster from your deck in face up defense position ignoring it's summoning conditions. It cannot be tributed, it's effects are negated while it is face up on the field, and it cannot attack or be used as ritual or synchro material. You can only activate one "Clear and Rescue" per turn

This card works with the intended nature of the archetype. It enables xyz plays during your next turn, and if "Revolving Switchyard" is up it can guarantee a ruffian to the field for a near certain xyz and potential search during that turn. Given that it's summoning condition is ignored it can enable cards like snow plow, and even rocket arrow to make good use as 1-2 offs, and the restriction on effects prevents this card from being overpowered in qliphorts if towers ever came off the banlist. It's a spell so it can't really be used in superheavy's, and the attack restriction prevents machina force from being useful outside of a wall. The ritual and synchro restriction prevents easy level 11-12 synchro plays from being spammable and prevents rituals from getting easy fodder for summons ( any card that doesn't require the levels to be exact ). 

Conductor's Whistle

Normal Spell Card

Activate by sending one earth machine type monster from your deck to the graveyard. Add two level 10 earth machine type monsters from your deck and/or graveyard to the hand. You can only activate "Conductor's Whistle" once per turn 

This card is, as you may have already noticed, an archetypal melody of the awakening dragon, given that it searches the to combo pieces required to make a good play in trains. The sending of an earth machine type monster works great as a cost, much like that of Dante, since even if the card were to be negated, you would still get the search off the sending of a ruffian during the end phase. Putting a once per turn restriction is mandatory, since it doesn't require a discard cost. The choice to make it grab from the deck or graveyard offers a lot of late game comeback potential, which is something that trains can lack in when Number 81 and the field spell are down. 

Please discuss the cards, and your thoughts on what their potential relevancy would be, should they ever be printed 

So first off, this is actually the section for discussing real-life cards, not posting custom cards. Custom cards should go in the Advanced Card Design or Casual Card Design sections up near the top of the forum. Don't repost them though, I already told a mod about this and someone should get it moved to the right section for you soon.

As for the cards themselves, I don't know that much about Trains but I'll give it a shot. I think Clear and Rescue is pretty good, but not great, mainly because of the fact that it can only be activated during the Battle Phase, which makes it pretty slow. That alone means I doubt it would help the deck that much, even though the effect itself is strong. I do like the design, and it's definitely strong against certain decks, but it doesn't seem useful in the meta given how bad battle traps generally are.

Conductor's Whistle, frankly, seems too strong. I realize that Trains aren't exactly good, but it's still an essentially costless +1 that also sets up your Graveyard to do more stuff (like getting a 3rd search with Ruffian, as you mentioned.) Of course, it would help Trains out, but I think it just has too much power. Searching is incredibly powerful and Whistle gives too much of it. Plus, using this to search Night Express Knight and Hustle Rustle by dumping whatever random thing gives you can instant rank 10 in any deck, which means it could be run as an engine. I'm not sure if that would be OK or not, but it does seem really strong to give every deck that wants it access to Dora.

Conductor's Whistle, frankly, seems too strong. I realize that Trains aren't exactly good, but it's still an essentially costless +1 that also sets up your Graveyard to do more stuff (like getting a 3rd search with Ruffian, as you mentioned.) Of course, it would help Trains out, but I think it just has too much power. Searching is incredibly powerful and Whistle gives too much of it. Plus, using this to search Night Express Knight and Hustle Rustle by dumping whatever random thing gives you can instant rank 10 in any deck, which means it could be run as an engine. I'm not sure if that would be OK or not, but it does seem really strong to give every deck that wants it access to Dora.

Would the card be more balanced if it was limited to only the deck, and instead of a mil from the deck was a discard of any card from the hand?

also, thanks for the tip about sections, ill make sure to post there in the future 

Would the card be more balanced if it was limited to only the deck, and instead of a mil from the deck was a discard of any card from the hand?

also, thanks for the tip about sections, ill make sure to post there in the future 

Changing it to a discard instead of a mill would be a big step. Making it only search from deck wouldn't really matter that much because you'll realistically be searching from there 90% of the time anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Changing it to a discard instead of a mill would be a big step. Making it only search from deck wouldn't really matter that much because you'll realistically be searching from there 90% of the time anyway.

As a trains player, making it discard instead of mill and only making it search from deck would completely fix it. Trains have 0 hand advantage outside of the field spell, and that this is pretty slow at getting stuff in your hand too. A discard is a pretty steep cost for trains, and a plus 1 during the End Phace would not even be a big deal in trains as I don't see it winning any games.

Also trains don't have graveyard set up lol. They want everything in their deck. And generally hate the graveyard (unless they can send ruffian there). They'd prefer to take stuff out of their graveyard. So no, not 90% of searches would be from deck anyways. Only early game searches would be from deck. The rest would be from grave as they want to get their stuff out of the grave ASAP. 

Archived