[VP17] Trickstar Bloody Mary

news_data_201707080101_vjcard.jpg?resize

Trickstar Bloody Mary
Light Fairy / Link / Effect
Link 2 2000 / R BL
2 “Trickstar” monsters
You can only use this card name’s (2) effect once per turn.
(1) Each time a “Trickstar” monster(s) is Normal or Special Summoned to a zone this card points to, you gain 200 LP.
(2) You can discard 1 “Trickstar” card; each player draws 1 card. If your LP is 2000 or more higher than your opponent’s LP, you draw 2 cards instead.

=====

https://ygorganization.com/deceiversanguinemother/

=====

holy hell, that draw power is gonna be wonderful news to the deck, especially considering how fast it can burn through 2k LP, but the LP gain is gonna be pretty underwhelming without setup, especially since the deck's main goal is the exact opposite strategy.

The card actually seems pretty nice if you're actually trying to play Tricks the not-FTK way. I've tried it a bit, and the deck just feels too fragile to work. Having extra draw power to be able to dig for defensive stuff while still keeping up a board will help quite a bit, I think.

'Course that's gonna be irrelevant because everyone's gonna just FTK anyway.

This card is great wtf, you can do whatever you want with this alongside Trickstar Reincarnation due to its Link Marker, so use it to ladder 00f

And it can even discard Trickstar Reincarnation 

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Ugh, I keep seeing the comment about the OTK or FTK or whatever, I am tired of Decks evolving into sheet like this, I just wanted them to be left alone to do their own thing, but now this? It makes every card that comes up seem irrelevant because it doesn't help that OTK.

/rant

The card is not bad, making your opponent draw works with Lycoris so that's nice. The Link Arrows are weird, while you can put it in either EMZ or MMZ, you only ever get one, and the LP gain would be much nicer if had more options to Summon to.

As I mentioned in Discord (for those of you who even go there), reason for the first impressions of this card being not great is likely due to the FTK version of Trickstars being prominent and/or it not contributing off Lightstage burn on its own like the others do for that in general. 

But even factoring in that, they do suffer from consistency in getting key cards / draw power so the draw effect helps. First effect is kinda iffy (well, depending how often you summon to the linked zones), but least it's live no matter what (for the most part) due to Link Markers that work in the EMZ and MMZ [unlike Holly and Sweet Devil, which are restricted to working only in one area or the other].

Other than that, card is fine on its own.

====

I'll admit that I've mostly been using the FTK version lately due to limitations in test running the intended version on YGOPro (lack of access to Links and/or the beta having issues for repeated testing). I have used the other version too (with limitations), and agreeing with Brinolovania that traditional variants need the draw power to function properly (or more Main Deck to work with in general). 

But it does contribute to both variants tho, the conversation of "doesn't help FTK/OTK" shouldn't even be happening for cards that don't require you to draw them. We're back to Qliphorts playing 0 extra deck monsters "CuZ iT d0nT hELp sTuN vARiaNcCE"

Your maindeck is still unchanged. Now whatever variant has the option to swing over nerds through battle and link ladder effectively. You probably won't even go into this, LINK 3, then revive it off Reincarnation as often. But you have the option and you will go into this more often than other Extra Deck monsters with the exception of a few rank 4s. It's p decent damage when you don't got the goods.

Yeah, the first two promos (Accelerator / Reloader) were meh. We have to see how Destroy Ogre holds up whenever that gets leaked, or if that one ends up being a whatever card.

====

As a side note, I'd also like to see Trickstars develop into something that isn't reliant on the current version seeing play (and likely will better develop over time, as I do want to use them). I never said that the draw assistance was solely needed for the common version; I was referring to the Deck as a whole. That's all.

I really like the Point positions on this card; IIRC it's an unusual combination, while it lets it start Link Chains in both the EM and MM Zones. I find weird that this one does the opposite by recovering LP instead of burning; I would have expected this on Sweet Devil as an opposite of Holly Angel. I'm not too keen on the last effect, though: even if you draw 2, the opponent is also drawing 1, so in a way it balances the gained card advantage. Of course that's in a vacuum and the power of the drawn cards can shift the balance on advantage, but still, that's akin to taking a risk, and personally I don't like to give my opponent card draws. On the other hand, it can force a bit of burn through Lycoris + Stage, and it doesn't hurt to have the ED tool for speeding up the deck by a bit.

Archived