Reimbursement in Online/Mobile Games

asterr259

No, this isn't a salty rant from a pleb who feels entitled, but a genuine discussion I want to have.

The mobile game Monster Strike is officially going down August 1st, which is a game I've been playing for almost 3 years. However, this is only the NA version, the JP version is doing pretty well in Japan. Fortunately I didn't put money into it, but I'm sure plenty of people did. I know people who throw half their paychecks into Mobile Games. You will be unable to transfer your ENG Account to a JP one, and of course, receive none of your money back. Seems harsh, but that's business. The game apparently just wasn't doing well.

Mobile Games are bad for plenty of reasons, but this was the first one I played that felt more genuine, and less pay2win than most other mobile games (even though they all are to some degree). I'm pretty indifferent to it shutting down honestly, but can't I still feel robbed? This was my favorite Mobile Game cause it felt fresh and not just a random monster gatcha with a RPS autoplay battle system. I even managed to pull 7 or 8 of my friends into it, and started a small community for it on my campus, only to let them down.

Ranty, Pity Party Over. I guess what I'm getting around to is: In events like this, shouldn't reimbursement be considered? If so, how should they go about it? Refunds of any kind are out of the question, but perhaps bonuses in a new game? If players decide to follow a new game. And this is not just for Mobile Games, but I'm referring to any games that depend heavily on Online. In this era where developers ask for more and more money through "Deluxe Editions", Day One Purchase Bonuses, DLC, and Microtransactions, shouldn't we be able to ask for more in return? Or just feel stupid for buying it in the first place?

By playing online game you pretty much had to acknowledge that it could shut down anytime. Games like this have their lifespan usually (unless it's ridiculously popular, say WoW). Full reimbursement felt silly since you already enjoyed what you paid for during the duration of the game.

I believe it's only really should be considered if the game got shut down way before its expected lifespan or due to unforseen circumstances.

Archived