The Mushroom Kingdom

wow I'm a bit of a dark horse with my video game tastes, huh ._.

I don't mean in genre-taste specifically; just in terms of what I picked for all-time favorites is p. different.

I saw mentioned before talk of "favorite track", and that's a real mean question to ask for me. I've played a lot of rogue-likes with very stellar soundtracks. But, if I had to choose I'd go with this song and, really just this album as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MflvOMAArIQ&index=11&list=PL2ABAB19080A2CA68 and really, choosing this over any good track from Command and Conquer, ESPECIALLY Tiberian Sun is a really hard thing to do for me.

Descent II stands out as a game a lot for me. Descent I is one of my most significant childhood games. I was never that good at it, but I loved it, and even though I played really the shareware levels, that was still enough of a game to keep me occupied, and it really took me in with the atmosphere and gameplay itself. I actually played it with only the keyboard, which is crazy to think of now.

Anyways, with how much I loved Descent I, I remember clearly the first time seeing Descent II in action. This was one of the biggest mind-blown moments for me as a kid; the jump in visuals, the pre-rendered cut-scenes, the redbook soundtrack, the levels, the new weapons, everything just completely impressed me and I thought it was just about the coolest thing ever. So, that redbook soundtrack stands out for me as being reminiscent of one of those times in my life as a gamer where I was just completely floored with how cool something was. It's just got that rough 'n' dirty nineties industrial metal/techno sound, and I love every second of it.

But enough about me; I kinda wanna hear if you guys got any memories like that with new games or games that you discovered, where you were just floored with how much you loved it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really am interested in Overwatch, but I don't think I'll ever get it. It seems like the real meat of the game is online play and I don't have a stable connection at my new place. That, and I never feel motivated to play online for some reason. I guess I prefer single player experiences or local multiplayer.

What about you guys, do you have a preference?

Overwatch is really the only game I feel like playing online on. Since most games tend to focus on leader boards and the competitive side of things, I tend to just play the campaign and feel left out. This happened especially with Pokemon (with EVs and IVs and natures and stuff) but I still enjoy the games.

wow I'm a bit of a dark horse with my video game tastes, huh ._.

But enough about me; I kinda wanna hear if you guys got any memories like that with new games or games that you discovered, where you were just floored with how much you loved it.

It's okay I have some rather odd favorites once you delve past the obvious ones.

As for that...mostly it's a very strange thing because...While the games aren't necessarily the best I played them and just...they felt right. Everything about them were enjoyable.

The three that fit that most are Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, Summon Night Swordcraft Story, and Custom Robo Arena.

Also it happened with the one listed as my favorite. When I played Pokemon White I enjoyed every part of it. Everything that happened made me feel emotion. Be it excitement, happiness, sometimes a bit of sadness, it was a glorious experience.

I honestly really don't like online play in the slightest. Closest thing to that I do is Pokemon Showdown which isn't a video game exactly.

I've found that single player or local multiplayer is something I enjoy a lot more. Unsure why but might be in part because I can be more relaxed about it.

Overwatch is really the only game I feel like playing online on. Since most games tend to focus on leader boards and the competitive side of things, I tend to just play the campaign and feel left out. This happened especially with Pokemon (with EVs and IVs and natures and stuff) but I still enjoy the games.

I think it feels more intimate that way, like a personal journey you're taking on, not sure if that's super corny or not. That and it's easier to achieve personal accomplishments like I finally beat this game or wow I took the boss down after 12 tries. And could just be me, but I tend to get crushed online or lag can steal a win or move you should have landed. So I tend to feel more gratification from single-player games than multiplayer.

It also feels more satisfying beating my friends personally in Smash :3

I wish I cared more about competitive Pokémon. I understand the mechanics, but realistically my appeal with the Pokémon games has been about trying to complete the dex as much as I can. Still never beaten the Battle Frontier or other types of Battle places.

I will try to do the EV and natures with my starter for each game. It used to be easier in X and Y with super training and the Lumiose Triple-Battle Cafe to help grind, but I guess they didn't want to make it too easy for Sun/Moon. Phooey!

Black covered the main series stuff, but if you're interested in the Layton series too, Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright is a great place to get yourself used to both series. It... Takes after the Layton side more than the Wright side, in terms of plot, but the gameplay from both sides is pretty good and you won't get spoiled on major events from either series, the game is entirely stand alone from what I remember!

Perfect, that sounds like the perfect one to try out! I'll be on the lookout next time I'm at Gamestop.

(and after my next paycheck)

TBH, check out Sacred Stones instead of Awakening if you want user friendly.

Awakening is flashy as hell, but it's not the golden starting point people make it out to be, and it requires a bit of lore from other games to full enjoy. It can be played standalone, but it does better once you're a bit more established, if only a bit.

Sacred Stones is a total standalone with the best plot, cast, and the easiest gameplay. Even compared to Awakening. It also introduces branching promotions, which Awakening utilizes.

Sacred Stones is also only 20~ chapters long, with optional post game that's a bit more challenging if you think you have the hang of the game.

Again, cast is a s t o u n d i n g.

As for online... I get nervous in settings that aren't automated. I can do Showdown/YGOPro, but I tend to get really nervous on more manual versions, like Duelingbook/DN tend to be.

Got it, I'll play that one then when I feel like trying out Fire Emblem!

Is Duelingbook still kind of weird? I heard people saying some odd things when it first came out.

I saw mentioned before talk of "favorite track", and that's a real mean question to ask for me. I've played a lot of rogue-likes with very stellar soundtracks. But, if I had to choose I'd go with this song and, really just this album as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MflvOMAArIQ&index=11&list=PL2ABAB19080A2CA68 and really, choosing this over any good track from Command and Conquer, ESPECIALLY Tiberian Sun is a really hard thing to do for me.

Dude that first track sounds eerily similar to the Batman Beyond intro. Sounds awesome.

That's cool though, I never heard of Descent before but it looks like it would've been fun to play back in the day!

As for me, I'll never forget playing Breath of the Wild this year. I can't remember the last time I got sucked into a game/world like that. I spent basically the entire month of April playing that and also listening to LPs and vlogs posted by Youtubers I follow (TFS and Digibro if anyone cares).

I wish I could 100% it but there's no way in hell I'm gonna hunt down every Korok (check the map of how many are in Hyrule, insanity)

(I also missed taking a picture of Waterblight Ganon so I can never complete the album :T)

Hey, you seem neat. Welcome!

Ayy Banjo Kazooie, another game I missed out on. But I know Yooka Laylee came out and was supposedly good, so I was thinking of trying that out.

Ayyy thanks!

Yeah it was super good. The art's a bit old now but I think it's still a game worth playing.

As for Yooka-Laylee, I'm still waiting for the Switch release, but again, I think it will be well worth it!

I really am interested in Overwatch, but I don't think I'll ever get it. It seems like the real meat of the game is online play and I don't have a stable connection at my new place. That, and I never feel motivated to play online for some reason. I guess I prefer single player experiences or local multiplayer.

What about you guys, do you have a preference?

I'm lowkey competitive as funk so I like playing online games against others. Of course, I also have the gaming skills of a retarded snail and a baked potato of a PC, so I generally lose. And then since I'm an idiot who must win despite these shortcomings, I keep losing then go on tilt, then really wanna win because I must restore what little honor I have, then I lose some more because I'm tilted and the whole thing is honestly a really bad negative spiral.

But then I win sometimes and that always feels great, especially if I was a big player for it in team games.

db is just kinda bad and... dating site-y for some reason

also, because I started the topic of favorite theme(s), might as well post some of mine. 1 per game unless I can't decide. Spoilers ahead:

Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice (best version of the theme imo)

Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations

Ace Attorney Investigations 2 (honorable mention)

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

Fire Emblem: Fates

Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers

Pokemon Sun and Moon A and Pokemon Sun and Moon B

Undertale A and Undertale B

I'd post more, but they tend to be Final Level/Boss themes or leitmotifs. I think nearly all of these do, too.

I guess I just really enjoy the... hopeful? feelings they have attached, or the emotional attachment that leitmotif tends to be good at sewing.

Some, like Trials and Tribulations, just have a good understanding of emotions in general. The song is a mixture of heavily sad and hopeful. I will argue to this day that I don't think this theme belongs to Phoenix, but to a certain... other character. I wouldn't call it my number 1 theme, but it's pretty damn high up there.

Ayyy thanks!

Yeah it was super good. The art's a bit old now but I think it's still a game worth playing.

As for Yooka-Laylee, I'm still waiting for the Switch release, but again, I think it will be well worth it!

Huh, didn't know it was coming out for Switch.

On one hand, I might wait. On the other, I've kinda neglected my PS4 lately.

I'm lowkey competitive as funk so I like playing online games against others. Of course, I also have the gaming skills of a retarded snail and a baked potato of a PC, so I generally lose. And then since I'm an idiot who must win despite these shortcomings, I keep losing then go on tilt, then really wanna win because I must restore what little honor I have, then I lose some more because I'm tilted and the whole thing is honestly a really bad negative spiral.

But then I win sometimes and that always feels great, especially if I was a big player for it in team games.

To be honest, I wouldn't have assumed that of you. But that's cool!

You play Smash U? I'd be down to face you some time if I get a somewhat decent internet connection.

db is just kinda bad and... dating site-y for some reason

also, because I started the topic of favorite theme(s), might as well post some of mine. 1 per game unless I can't decide. Spoilers ahead:

Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice (best version of the theme imo)

Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations

Ace Attorney Investigations 2 (honorable mention)

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

Fire Emblem: Fates

Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers

Pokemon Sun and Moon A and Pokemon Sun and Moon B

Undertale A and Undertale B

I'd post more, but they tend to be Final Level/Boss themes or leitmotifs. I think nearly all of these do, too.

I guess I just really enjoy the... hopeful? feelings they have attached, or the emotional attachment that leitmotif tends to be good at sewing.

Some, like Trials and Tribulations, just have a good understanding of emotions in general. The song is a mixture of heavily sad and hopeful. I will argue to this day that I don't think this theme belongs to Phoenix, but to a certain... other character. I wouldn't call it my number 1 theme, but it's pretty damn high up there.

I'll listen to these throughout the rest of my shift today, but that first one's electric piano (I think) reminds me of this theme a bit:

Favorite Video Game Series: UMINEKO

Favorite Video Game: UMINEKO

Favorite Character(s): USERS MARSUVEES BLACK, SANAKI AND MYSELF

Favorite Genre: VISUAL NOVELS

Favorite Video Game Series: Pokemon

Favorite Video Game: Fallout 4

Favorite Character(s): That's a tough one, but my gut wants to go with Pagan Min Wheatley. Definitely Wheatley.

Favorite Genre: Third-person beat-em-up

Welcome aboard! OP's being wonky right now so I'll add you too later when it cuts that out.

You've been talking about Umineko a lot, I'm guessing there's something to it. Heard the anime was kinda meh though.

Huh, googled Wheatley and was surprised. Is he connected to Glados in some way?

(should've played Portal when I lived with my last roommate, he had both)

I officially dub this place the SHROOM SHACK.

sheet that's good.

Replying to Sanaki's comment got me curious, what consoles do you all have?

I have every Nintendo console Game Boy Color onward (GBA and SP, DS and DSi) and PS3/PS4.

(Dang, should've put favorite console in the app)

To be honest, I wouldn't have assumed that of you. But that's cool!

You play Smash U? I'd be down to face you some time if I get a somewhat decent internet connection.

Smash 3DS, sorry dude. But yeah, I like winning but usually lose so it's a problem =w=;

And since a lot of people are talking favorite video game soundtracks, I figure I should toss mine into the ring as well.

Wrath of the Lich King was the peak of World of Warcraft if you ask me. But I main a class that didn't come until two expansions later so I'm simply conflicted. Invincible is still an amazing track though. And the mount it's named after is top-tier waifu as far as winged zombie horses go. So that's nice.

And while I'm thinking of video game soundtracks, here's a few other favorites from different stuff too.

Kirby (I haven't even played Rainbow Curse lol)

Pokémon

Soul Calibur (though I have a particular soft spot for this track too)

Dark Cloud

Undertale

Shovel Knight (picking just one track was hard, lemme tell ya :l)

Touhou

I have every Nintendo console Game Boy Color onward (GBA and SP, DS and DSi) and PS3/PS4.

Just a 3DS I only ever use for Sm4sh and a shitty PC.

Huh, didn't know it was coming out for Switch.

On one hand, I might wait. On the other, I've kinda neglected my PS4 lately.

Yeah basically its predecessor was on the N64 so when they announced Yooka-Laylee I knew it was getting a release on a Nintendo console somewhere. And it was originally going to be on the Wii U but was changed to the Switch after some technical issues.

I have most of the Nintendo consoles, except for the NES, SNES, GB, and GBC which were left behind at my old house and are now in possession of one of my relatives. I also didn't usually buy the upgraded duplicates, like I have the DS Lite and the 3DS both old one and new one but none of that XL stuff.

Also have the PS2 and PS3. I am curious about the Xbox consoles, especially considering Tales of Vesperia only came out on the 360. But, well, most of the Xbox games are also released on their respective Playstation console of the time, so there's not much reason other than a few Xbox-only games to get a console for it, especially since I already have Playstations.

To answer the track question, I've been playing Crypt of the Necrodancer and I love its soundtracks to death (which is good, considering it's partially a rhythm game) . My favorite song out of the bunch is probably Knight Fall, with Fungal Fall being my favorite from the original track. I'm not sure what I'd say my all-time favorite track is, since it depends on my mood but as of late I've been listening to those two songs and the rest of the track a lot so probably that for now.

I currently have a Nintendo Switch, Xbox One S (no specific reason), a Wii U and a 3DS. I have more Nintendo consoles because they like to release exclusives and most of the time their good, so.

I own... basically everything Nintendo, except for the GBA Micro and some (2/3)DSs, the original Gameboy, and the NES. I SHOULD have the NES, but Dad stole it from mom in the divorce and won't let me have it.

I also own a PS1-3, a PSP, and an Xbox. Never cared for Xbox much after trying it.

I also got Sis a PS4 for Christmas last year. Suuuuper cheap, too!

Lesse... what do I got again...

SNES
3DO

N64

Gamecube

Wii
Xbox
Xbox 360
PS3
PS4

Xbox One

Wii U

Gameboy Color

Gameboy Advance

DS

3DS

Vita

GCW - Zero

My N64 collection is pretty extensive, but there's some pricy games I'm still looking to get my hands on. It annoys me how expensive Bomberman 64: The Second Attack is...

*cracks knuckles* In no particular order....

N64

Sega Genesis

Sega Dreamcast

Playstation

Playstation 2

XBox

Gamecube

Playstation 3

XBox 360

Wii

Playstation 4

Gameboy Advanced

Gameboy Advanced SP

Nintendo DS

PSP

Nintendo 3DS

And because of my dad having it in the workshop...an Arcade cabinet running the MAME software.

Oh snap it's a new one.

Favorite Video Game Series: Soulsborne, Ace Attorney

Favorite Video Game: Tales of Symphonia

Favorite Character(s): Adam Jensen (Deus Ex), Ike (Fire Emblem), Groose (The Legend of Zelda), Handsome Jack (Borderlands), Giovanni (Pokémon)

Favorite Genre: RPG

Archived