Cognite, the Ghost in the Machine (FIRST MACHINE SPIRIT TUNER)

ABC Gun

Artwork for this card done by https://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=111307 please support them when you can

podPIBs.jpg
Cannot be Special Summoned. During your Main Phase 1: You can reveal this card in your hand, and if you do; until the End Phase, it remains revealed and cannot be Normal Summoned/Set, also you can Normal Summon/Set 1 Level 4 or lower Spirit monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set this turn. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.) You can only use this effect of "Cognite, the Ghost in the Machine" once per turn. If this card is Normal Summoned: You can activate this effect; for the rest of this turn, if a Spirit monster(s) you control would be sent to the GY as Synchro Material, return those monsters to the hand instead. Once per turn, during the End Phase, if this card was Normal Summoned or flipped face-up this turn: Return it to the hand.

[spoiler=what]
THE FIRST MACHINE SPIRIT TUNER in the game, and its Level 4 with no restrictions. To be blunt, this card is meant to make Spirits as a whole (especially Level 4 and lower Spirits) splashable in many Decks, and this can be done for 2 BIG reasons. The first is that you can reveal this card in your hand and keep it there (it stays revealed and it cannot be Normal Summoned/Set that turn), and if you do so you get to Normal Summon a Level 4 or lower Spirit along with your given Normal Summon/Set, meaning you can either Summon a Tuner (and yes you can Normal Summon another copy of this card even if you use this effect) then Normal Summon a Spirit for a Synchro Summon, or even with this effect 2 Level 4 or lower Spirits for an Xyz Summon. The second is that when this card is Normal Summoned you can return your Spirits to your hand if they're used as Synchro Material instead of sending them to the GY, even this card, which means you can make some seriously repetitive and degenerate plays that normally Spirits wouldn't be able to do (ex. activate this card in the hand, Normal Summon another copy followed by Aratama and search a Spirit with Aratama, Synchro Summon and bounce this card and Aratama with this card's effect, on your next turn just repeat this process until you win the Duel). Again, this card was made to make Spirits splashable with more Decks than they are now, and to make quick Synchro or even Xyz plays with Spirits. This card was based on a critique of the psychological concept known as "Ghost in the machine​" which states that the mind and body are separate from each other, this comes from a man known as Gilbert Ryle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_Ryle) as he states that BLAH BLAH BLAH just click this link, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_machine.
If the bottom Link does'nt work I'm sorry but I don't know why that is happening, might fix it later if I can

Just a question about this effect: "if this card is Normal Summoned: You can activate this effect; for the rest of the turn, if a Spirt monster(s) you control would be sent to the GY as Synchro Material, return those monsters to the hand instead." Does that include itself? Also, running this card in Shinobirds with divine wind might be quite interesting. Free plusses.

It should include itself in its own effect once it's activated (since once it's summoned, the effect lingers), but it wouldn't hurt to ask evilfusion for a general ruling on it. Might be reading it wrong and it's not affected.

(EDIT: Guy ninja'd)

Though, while Spirits do need the help to actually become a relevant Deck on their own (barring Shinobird/Espirit as an engine of sorts), including the summon speed, you did break a lot of flavor in doing this. One is making this a Tuner for whatever reason (iirc Spirits don't have the resources to Synchro in the first place given their own restrictions). Second, you will likely notice that all existing Spirits (with exception to the DT ones) are based off Asiatic mythology (usually Japan); this doesn't fit into either category. 

It should include itself in its own effect once it's activated (since once it's summoned, the effect lingers), but it wouldn't hurt to ask evilfusion for a general ruling on it. Might be reading it wrong and it's not affected.

(EDIT: Guy ninja'd)

Though, while Spirits do need the help to actually become a relevant Deck on their own (barring Shinobird/Espirit as an engine of sorts), including the summon speed, you did break a lot of flavor in doing this. One is making this a Tuner for whatever reason (iirc Spirits don't have the resources to Synchro in the first place given their own restrictions). Second, you will likely notice that all existing Spirits (with exception to the DT ones) are based off Asiatic mythology (usually Japan); this doesn't fit into either category. 

I wanted to break with tradition, if this card game is to continue going strong, some things need to change like nearly all Spirits being based off figures from Japanese mythology except (and off handedly) the Ice Barrier and Gishki Spirits. As I said in this card's description, I wanted to make Spirits as a whole more splashable with other Decks in order to make new combos and due to this card's effect, you can Normal Summon itself, another Spirit (preferably Level 4) then have fun with an easy Synchro, Xyz, or even Link Summon play. I wanted to make something this game has never seen ( and I'm a NERD); MACHINE SPIRITS, who knows someone at Konami might get drunk one night, look at this post, then make a competitive Archetype around this concept. It might happen (it'll NEVER happen).

Archived