Switch Yui and Zai's mod jurisdictions

Alright, here we go.

I don't think Zai is the best choice for RP mod. Never had, but we didn't have a viable option at the time he was elected, so there he is. However now we have a much better person for the job, Yui.

See, in the RP section, we need someone who knows what's going on, who can hear the issues and do something to fix it.

Zai is not that person. He only hosts rps. He doesn't join others. On top of that, usually only the same people join his rps, so he's in one giant echo chamber.

Yui, however, actually rps. He's surrounded by many different people and can hear many different opinions. That's a valuable asset to have.

Meanwhile, Yui is modding General, and by extension, Blogs, Clubs & Organizations, Debates, and Misc. That doesn't need as involved modding, nor does someone have to be as close to the people. That's perfect for Zai.

Please at least consider my words. I believe this is what's best for the site.

and by extension, Blogs, Clubs & Organizations, Debates, and Misc. That doesn't need as involved modding, nor does someone have to be as close to the people. That's perfect for Zai.

Well I mean to be totally fair, these sections require basically no moderation as-is. The worst thing that happens is every once in a blue moon somebody posts inappropriate content in Misc and I gotta edit the post and toss some wp their way. These can just all be lumped in with General, which has also been pretty easy to mod at least since I stepped into the mod seat.

But yeah, I'd like to hear from as many members and mods as possible regarding this matter, be they in favor of or opposed to the switch. Tried convincing Zai to swap with me early into my junior modhood, which didn't work out but oh well that's life ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well I mean to be totally fair, these sections require basically no moderation as-is. The worst thing that happens is every once in a blue moon somebody posts inappropriate content in Misc and I gotta edit the post and toss some wp their way. These can just all be lumped in with General, which has also been pretty easy to mod at least since I stepped into the mod seat.

But yeah, I'd like to hear from as many members and mods as possible regarding this matter, be they in favor of or opposed to the switch. Tried convincing Zai to swap with me early into my junior modhood, which didn't work out but oh well that's life ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Since the sections don't require near as much the nuts and bolts of moderation, i.e. rule enforcement, sifting out bots, etc, it only makes sense that the moderators of those sections be around for more than such.

Otherwise there is very little reason to have any member above another.

I'm going to be totally honest, I have no idea what Zai could bring to the General section. But I know Yui would be a positive presence for the RP section. Consider the introduction section: Zai is nowhere to be seen (which, for the record, is absolutely fine) whereas Yui welcomes members, and invites them to RP, often giving them specific resources if they displayed any interest. Even though Zai is technically the moderator of the section, Yui is the one leading it toward improvement.

I am 0% surprised that Zai refused to switch jobs. That's just how he is. But if You would do so much better in the position than him, should it really be a change he can just veto?

I'm gonna try to steer mostly clear of this, but... Idealogy time?

The ideal that has been pursued by myself and others is that moderators should be leaders of the site. Janitors aren't really needed, as there's not enough content to need monitoring on that broad a level. Which is one of many reasons why shrinking the team was a good idea.

Following this, I'm inclined to agree with the OP. I have no strong reason to rally for either side, but if the case that Yui can be a positive leader in RP, as opposed to having Zai and Yui simply serving as janitors in their sections, then they should be switched. I'd say it's mostly in name, but there definitely are bits of "i'm in charge of the section so that's that" which have popped up in the past. Nothing hateful, but seniority has been pulled, which incentivizes an official change in title.

Now, I would like to say that Zai did revamp the rules, which shows some effort... But I don't know the extent of the changes and any impact thereof, only RP would know that.

tl;dr:

If the options truly boil down to 

A. Zai is janitor of RP, Yui is janitor of General
B. Yui is leader of RP, Zai is janitor of General

There's no real reason not to swap it, because it leads to potential growth. That is IF, though.

Now, I would like to say that Zai did revamp the rules, which shows some effort...

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that it ended up happening, but the delay on it was absolutely preposterous, and Zai openly admitted to it being caused by him not feeling like it. Considering the volume of the changes, it was a 1-2 week task that took months. Now, I totally understand that moderators have their own lives and aren't slaves to the site, but Zai literally told me that he had the time, but chose not to do it.

I'm not trying to burn him at the stake right now, because I really cba to, but as a person who pops into the section from time to time, I would much prefer someone who has a desire to lead the section and improve it, rather than seemingly just wanting the title.

My input...is probably entirely unneeded here.

I legitimately don't care.

WAIT...let me clarify.

See, moderators have the ability to perform moderation duties anywhere on the site. Their "jurisdiction" is just the area they've been assigned to, but they are in no way restricted to that section. That said, the mod actually assigned to the area usually has final authority, so if, for example, Sakura was in TCG (my area), saw people arguing, and locked the thread, and I came by later and determined that locking the thread was premature or unneeded based on my discretion, I can "overrule" his actions because it's "my" section.

I've very rarely actually had that happen, but it CAN happen.

The site is at a level of activity where there is very little conflict over jurisdiction, and I suppose this is more a matter of the figurehead. Which mod is SEEN as being in charge of the section.

And that's the part I don't care about.

WAIT...let me clarify that again.

I don't care in the sense that it makes no difference to me whether Yui is the RP mod or Zai is. I'm not planning on forcing a mod into one spot or another. For most mods, they were chosen for a specific position when they were brought on board, and if roles shuffled around, it was based on what was needed, who was available to cover the opening, and whether they wanted to do it. I started out as only the mod of TCG/OCG Decks, and when Pika retired, I took over TCG as well, because I was most active and interested in TCG in the first place.

Since Zai was interested in taking over RP when we shuffled the roles a while back, he got the spot, and Yui came on board later. If they both WANT to swap roles again, that's fine, but barring concerns over HOW they run their respective sections, it's not something that I, as a Super, plan to push one way or the other.

They also could collaborate, and Yui can certainly talk to Zai about any thoughts, insights, or concerns they have, or members have. There's not just one cut-and-dry solution of "swap their jurisdictions".

I'm all for Yui swapping duties with Zai, but it all depends on how that will turn out.

I've seen how both of them act in the RP world, but it seems at the moment Yui is doing more than Zai. Tell me if I'm wrong, I'm looking forward to hearing your input.

That's all from me for now, I guess. I might have more to say depending on what others have to spread across here. I'll be reading.

My input...is probably entirely unneeded here.

I legitimately don't care.

WAIT...let me clarify.

See, moderators have the ability to perform moderation duties anywhere on the site. Their "jurisdiction" is just the area they've been assigned to, but they are in no way restricted to that section. That said, the mod actually assigned to the area usually has final authority, so if, for example, Sakura was in TCG (my area), saw people arguing, and locked the thread, and I came by later and determined that locking the thread was premature or unneeded based on my discretion, I can "overrule" his actions because it's "my" section.

I've very rarely actually had that happen, but it CAN happen.

The site is at a level of activity where there is very little conflict over jurisdiction, and I suppose this is more a matter of the figurehead. Which mod is SEEN as being in charge of the section.

And that's the part I don't care about.

WAIT...let me clarify that again.

I don't care in the sense that it makes no difference to me whether Yui is the RP mod or Zai is. I'm not planning on forcing a mod into one spot or another. For most mods, they were chosen for a specific position when they were brought on board, and if roles shuffled around, it was based on what was needed, who was available to cover the opening, and whether they wanted to do it. I started out as only the mod of TCG/OCG Decks, and when Pika retired, I took over TCG as well, because I was most active and interested in TCG in the first place.

Since Zai was interested in taking over RP when we shuffled the roles a while back, he got the spot, and Yui came on board later. If they both WANT to swap roles again, that's fine, but barring concerns over HOW they run their respective sections, it's not something that I, as a Super, plan to push one way or the other.

They also could collaborate, and Yui can certainly talk to Zai about any thoughts, insights, or concerns they have, or members have. There's not just one cut-and-dry solution of "swap their jurisdictions".

The issue here is, it's not just that Yui's ability to make judgement calls in the section.

As RP mod, Zai writes the rules and makes changes to our sections. I, personally, want Yui to have this power, and here's why.

The RP section recently is afraid we are stagnating, and that no new people are coming in. We're all brainstorming solutions, but the issue is... Zai is notorious for being slow. Giga's example with the rules is a perfect example.

I would rather have a mod that can do changes as soon as possible than a mod that would make us wait for half a year for these changes to take effect. All the collaboration Zai and Yui could do wouldn't speed up Zai.

some stuff

I think what evilfusion is getting at is that I can do mod stuff in RP, like draft new rules and systems, etc. Just if Zai says no then he overrules me. I wasn't even aware I had those kinds of options tbh. Zai and I get along pretty well too, so I can't imagine much conflict coming up between us if I try sticking my fingers into the workings of the sections a little bit. However, we can't force him to switch if he doesn't want to, but that apparently doesn't mean I have no power over RP.

I was going somewhere with this, but I forgot where >.>

I think what evilfusion is getting at is that I can do mod stuff in RP, like draft new rules and systems, etc. Just if Zai says no then he overrules me. I wasn't even aware I had those kinds of options tbh. Zai and I get along pretty well too, so I can't imagine much conflict coming up between us if I try sticking my fingers into the workings of the sections a little bit. However, we can't force him to switch if he doesn't want to, but that apparently doesn't mean I have no power over RP.

At risk of accidentally putting words in his mouth, when I offered to help him with the rules, or to have someone else do so (a list that did include you) he said no.

If Zai wants to change the way he operates, I totally support that, but from what I have seen he isn't one to give up power/authority. As with all my accusations, I would love to be proven wrong, but I'm pretty confident in this one.

I don't think you understand. I don't want you to have 'input'. I don't want you to 'influnce' it. I want you, yes, you Yui, to have the final say in the RP section. I want someone who will get things done, someone who is there, rping with us and hearing our concerns, someone who is easy to approach with our problems. Someone who actively tries to help. Someone who will get things done.

Which is you, Yui.

Archived