Witch of Salem Archetype (12/12)

Atypical-Abbie

Witch of Salem is an Archetype of Level 4 Spellcaster/FIRE pseudo-Flip monsters and 1 Level 8 Ritual Monster. They focus on having each different kind of Spell in your GY. Each Level 4 monster has two effects, one that activates on Normal Summon and when they're flipped face-up and one that activates in your End Phase if you have more kinds of Spells in your GY than your opponent does, which is an upgraded version of their first effect. They have 1 of each kind of Spell, which is a sub-Archetype called Salem Spell, though you can use outside Spells as well, and the Ritual Monster gains effects depending on how many different kinds you have in your GY, as well as 500 ATK and DEF for each.

They are based on people who were accused and executed during the infamous Salem witch trails, hence the FIRE (I'm aware that Salem witches were not burned). Also, this is the first full Archetype I have made in a long time that I completed from the start rather than doing a few at the start, I simply felt that making them complete from the get-go was better this time around due to the nature of their playstyle, it probably won't be a regular thing.

Monsters:

Howe, Witch of Salem

Spellcaster/FIRE

Level 4

When this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up: You can target 1 "Salem Spell" card in your GY; add it to your hand. During your End Phase, if you have more different kinds of Spells in your GY than your opponent: You can add 1 "Salem Spell" card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Howe, Witch of Salem" once per turn.

1200/2000

Good, Witch of Salem

Spellcaster/FIRE

Level 4

When this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up: You can target 1 "Witch of Salem" monster in your GY; add it to your hand. During your End Phase, if you have more different kinds of Spells in your GY than your opponent: You can add 1 "Witch of Salem" monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Good, Witch of Salem" once per turn.

1300/1900

Redd, Witch of Salem

Spellcaster/FIRE

Level 4

When this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up: You can Special Summon 1 "Witch of Salem" monster from your hand in Attack Position or face-down Defense Position. During your End Phase, if you have more different kinds of Spells in your GY than your opponent: You can Special Summon 1 "Witch of Salem" monster from your hand or Deck in   face-down Defense Position. You can only use each effect of "Redd, Witch of Salem" once per turn.

1400/1800

Wildes, Witch of Salem

Spellcaster/FIRE

Level 4

When this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up: You can target 1 "Witch of Salem" monster in your GY; Special Summon it in face-down Defense Position. During your End Phase, if you have more different kinds of Spells in your GY than your opponent: You can target 1 "Witch of Salem" monster in your GY; Special Summon it in Attack Position or face-down Defense Position. You can only use each effect of "Wildes, Witch of Salem" once per turn.

1500/1500

Eastey, Witch of Salem

Spellcaster/FIRE

Level 4

When this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up: You can send 1 "Salem Spell" card from your hand or Deck to the GY, and if you do, inflict 500 damage to your opponent. During your End Phase, if you have more different kinds of Spells in your GY than your opponent: You can send 1 "Salem" card from your Deck to the GY, and if you do, inflict 1000 damage to your opponent. You can only use each effect of "Eastey, Witch of Salem" once per turn.

1800/1400

Bishop, First Witch of Salem

Spellcaster/FIRE/Ritual

Level 8

This card's original ATK and DEF are equal to the number of different kinds of Spells in your GY x 500. This card gains these effects, based on the number of different kinds of Spells in your GY.

1 or more: If your opponent activates a Spell (Quick Effect): You can banish 1 Spell from your GY of the same kind as that Spell; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card.

3 or more: Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can target 1 other monster on the field; change its battle position, and if you do, switch its ATK and DEF.

5 or more: Once per turn: You can declare a kind of Spell that is in the GYs; banish as many Spells from the GYs as possible of the declare kind of Spell, then you can destroy cards your opponent control up to the number of Spells banished.

?/?

Spells:

Salem Spell - Magic Book

Normal Spell

Discard 1 "Salem" card; send 1 "Salem Spell" card from your Deck to your GY, and if you do, add 1 "Salem Spell" card from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate 1 "Salem Spell - Magic Book" per turn. 

Salem Spell - Page Burning

Quick-Play Spell

If you control a "Witch of Salem" monster: Target 1 card on both fields; destroy them. If you have more different kinds of Spells in your GY than your opponent, your opponent cannot activate cards or effect in response to this card's activation. You can only activate 1 "Salem Spell - Page Burning" per turn.

Salem Spell - Flame Ritual 

Ritual Spell

This card is used to Ritual Summon "Bishop, First Witch of Salem". You must also Tribute monsters from your hand or field whose total Levels equal 8 or more. If you have 6 different kinds of Spells in your GY, you can Ritual Summon it from the Deck or GY instead.

Salem Spell - Blazing Broom

Equip Spell

Equip only to a "Witch of Salem" monster you control. It cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects, also it can attack your opponent directly, but any battle damage it inflicts to your opponent is halved. If the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, you can destroy this card instead.

Salem Spell - Flaming Cauldron

Continuous Spell

Once per turn, during the End Phase: You can place 1 Cauldron Counter on this card for each different kind of Spell activated this turn. Once per turn, during your Standby Phase: Remove all Cauldron Counters from this card, then draw 1 card for every 2 Cauldron Counters removed. You can only control 1 "Salem Spell - Flaming Cauldron".

Salem Spell - Coven House

Field Spell

All "Witch of Salem" monsters you control gain 200 ATK and DEF for each different kind of Spell in your GY. Once per turn, if a "Salem Spell" card is activated: You can draw 1 card, then discard 1 card. During your Main Phase, you can Normal Summon 1 "Witch of Salem" monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.)

Guess I'm reviewing this in a way thats more professional. 
Monsters:

Howe, Witch of Salem
1200/2000 FIRE/4/Spellcaster/Effect Doing this setup to save lines
When this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up: You can target 1 "Salem Spell" card in your GY; add it to your hand. During your End Phase, if you have more different kinds of Spells in your GY than your opponent: You can add 1 "Salem Spell" card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Howe, Witch of Salem" once per turn.

The "During your End Phase, if you have more different kinds of Spells in your GY than your opponent:" concept is pretty interesting, because typically this kind of thing would be a tad slow, but Lightsworns have told us that if you stack up several monster's End Phase effects together, it can wreck havoc. It's also interesting that you said "different kinds of Spells" since I don't know if there's a wording like this that has been done on a previous card that you can reference. I think you actually say "Types" instead of "kinds" but that's just how the Yugioh Wiki defines the Spell subcategories so I don't know if it's official. Other than that it's a utility card, which is essentially nessecary for any deck to function.

Good, Witch of Salem
1300/1900 FIRE/4/Spellcaster/Effect:
When this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up: You can target 1 "Witch of Salem" monster in your GY; add it to your hand. During your End Phase, if you have more different kinds of Spells in your GY than your opponent: You can add 1 "Witch of Salem" monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Good, Witch of Salem" once per turn.

So this is the utility for the Monsters while Howe is the utility for the Spells. Alright. I don't have much to say other than that maybe you don't need the End Phase once per turn effect, since you'd have to have 2 monsters on the field at the same time.

Redd, Witch of Salem
1400/1800 FIRE/4/Spellcaster/Effect:
When this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up: You can Special Summon 1 "Witch of Salem" monster from your hand in Attack Position or face-down Defense Position. During your End Phase, if you have more different kinds of Spells in your GY than your opponent: You can Special Summon 1 "Witch of Salem" monster from your hand or deck in face-down Defense Position. You can only use each effect of "Redd, Witch of Salem" once per turn.

This is a bit faster. It can Special Summon 2 monsters in a single turn, which means more effects can go off. I'd say this could just replace Good. I don't think you nessecarily need 2 monster searchers unless you're planning on searching the Ritual monster with Good, which can easily be done with Manju or Pre-Preperations.

Wildes, Witch of Salem
1500/1500 FIRE/4/Spellcaster/Effect:
When this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up: You can target 1 "Witch of Salem" monster in your GY; Special Summon it in face-down Defense Position. During your End Phase, if you have more different kinds of Spells in your GY than your opponent: You can target 1 "Witch of Salem" monster in your GY; Special Summon it in Attack Position or face-down Defense Position. You can only use each effect of "Wildes, Witch of Salem" once per turn.

This seems good for comeback, and by that I mean REALLY good. I'd be a bit more comfortable if the Normal Summon effect added 1 from your GY to your hand, but the Special Summon is during your End Phase so maybe it's not too good. I'd maybe cut back on the ATK points though to make it more vulnerable when you Normal Summon it so that you might what to Xyz or something to not risk getting killed, but thats just a reccomendation.

Eastey, Witch of Salem
1800/1400 FIRE/4/Spellcaster/Effect:
When this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up: You can send 1 "Salem Spell" card from your hand or Deck to the GY, and if you do, inflict 500 damage to your opponent. During your End Phase, if you have more different kinds of Spells in your GY than your opponent: You can send 1 "Salem" card from your Deck to the GY, and if you do, inflict 1000 damage to your opponent. You can only use each effect of "Eastey, Witch of Salem" once per turn.

Well, this is pretty good for Wildes.

Bishop, First Witch of Salem
?/? FIRE/8/Spellcaster/Ritual/Effect:
This card's original ATK and DEF are equal to the number of different kinds of Spells in your GY x 500. This card gains these effects, based on the number of different kinds of Spells in your GY.
● 1 or more: If your opponent activates a Spell (Quick Effect): You can banish 1 Spell from your GY of the same kind as that Spell; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card.
● 3 or more: Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can target 1 other monster on the field; change its battle position, and if you do, switch its ATK and DEF.
● 5 or more: Once per turn: You can declare a kind of Spell that is in the GYs; banish as many Spells from the GYs as possible of the declare kind of Spell, then you can destroy cards your opponent control up to the number of Spells banished.

This is cool, but I'd buff the 5 or more effect so that it banishes cards rather than destroys cards, since you wouldn't be able to activate the effect again for a while since you're banishing ALL the Spell of that Type in your GY. I also think that the 3 or more effect could change a monster to face-down Defense Position and not be too good, since it could trigger or reset the Witches. 

Spells:

Salem Spell - Magic Book
Normal Spell
Discard 1 "Salem" card; send 1 "Salem Spell" card from your Deck to your GY, and if you do, add 1 "Salem Spell" card from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate 1 "Salem Spell - Magic Book" per turn. 

So a possible dump of 3 different spells and then you search for another Spell. Pretty balanced since you go -1 and you can only play 1 of them per turn. Also synergizes nicely with Howe and Wildes.

Salem Spell - Page Burning
Quick-Play Spell
If you control a "Witch of Salem" monster: Target 1 card on both fields; destroy them. If you have more different kinds of Spells in your GY than your opponent, your opponent cannot activate cards or effect in response to this card's activation. You can only activate 1 "Salem Spell - Page Burning" per turn.

That's pretty harsh, but also a -1, so it's fair.

Salem Spell - Flame Ritual 
Ritual Spell

This card is used to Ritual Summon "Bishop, First Witch of Salem". You must also Tribute monsters from your hand or field whose total Levels equal 8 or more. If you have 6 different kinds of Spells in your GY, you can Ritual Summon it from the Deck or GY instead.

Alright thats a bit harsh. I'd say 3 or more different kinds is acceptable if it's only for a +1 for conveinence. I'd also give it a banish from the GY ability that sends a "Salem Spell" from your deck to the GY for some more utility if you already have 2 of these in the GY, or if you just want Bishop to have more cards to banish.

Salem Spell - Blazing Broom
Equip Spell
Equip only to a "Witch of Salem" monster you control. It cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects, also it can attack your opponent directly, but any battle damage it inflicts to your opponent is halved. If the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, you can destroy this card instead.

I don't know if this is nessecary. We already have Wonder Wand, so this isn't going to see much play if it isn't better than that. 

Salem Spell - Flaming Cauldron
Continuous Spell
During the End Phase: You can place 1 Cauldron Counter on this card for each different kind of Spell activated this turn. During your Standby Phase: Remove all Cauldron Counters from this card, then draw 1 card for every 2 Cauldron Counters removed. You can only control 1 "Salem Spell - Flaming Cauldron".

I don't think the Once per turn clauses were nessecary, considering you can only control 1 of these anyway. I like the card though.

Salem Spell - Coven House
Field Spell
All "Witch of Salem" monsters you control gain 200 ATK and DEF for each different kind of Spell in your GY. Once per turn, if a "Salem Spell" card is activated: You can draw 1 card, then discard 1 card. During your Main Phase, you can Normal Summon 1 "Witch of Salem" monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.)

This card reeks of lost potential. With all of the effects that "or flipped face-up" clauses, I was expecting something that would reset the abilities of the Witches. Maybe a "Up to twice per turn, you can flip a "Witch of Salem" monster you control face-up or face-down." The addition Normal Summon/Set is nice though. 

Overall a pretty good archetype, but I feel you haven't exploited the design choices you were making to your fullest. I give it a 4/5. 

Overall a pretty good archetype, but I feel you haven't exploited the design choices you were making to your fullest. I give it a 4/5. 

Thanks for the review, some replies to the cards:

Redd, adding to the hand allow you to Normal Summon them, which is quicker than flipping them face-up, and allows you to discard cards etc.

Bishop, the decision to make it destroy is to make it able to banish more Spells (it can banish the opponent's Spells too). As for the changing to face-down, the idea to to trigger already face-downs and make them battle ready by switching their stats, my design was inspired by Prediction Princess Tarotrei. Dunno about your idea for this card.

Flame Ritual, I always had the intention in mind that they would be boosted by having one of each in your GY at once, I wanted to do that much more than I did, but since that could be seen as a harder challenge when they are already a Ritual and pseudo-Flip monster based Deck, I didn't do that too much, but I didn't want to abandon that idea, so this is the one card that does that. 3 different kinds also seems too little to do it from the Deck or GY to me, since you can easily do that in one turn with Magic Book.

Blazing Broom, I am not sure where you are coming from with this, as this is a searcable card, where Wonder Wand is not, and doesn't offer any form of protection. They don't need the ATK boost, Coven House provides that much more effectively, the draw is done by Flame Cauldron and Coven House to some extend too, and you are giving up a monster for this, which may not be as huge a deal due to their extra Normal Summon, but I don't think that I would personally want to use Wonder Wand in this Deck, since you already have a lack of space, and having the ability to dump this card quickly and it providing protection to an Archetype that otherwise has none, is more valuable to me.

Flaming Cauldron, actually that is simply how cards like this are worded, Treeborn Frog and Lightsworn have been changed to something similar.

Coven House, I think the card is already good enough as it is, though I do agree that having a way to flip them face-down again would be nice, I hadn't really thought of that when making them, but maybe I'll think of a good way to integrate that.

Archived