Helping out the LV archetype and Insects at the same time: "Anteater LV" Archetype

Eshai

Alright so while I'm still trying to figure out how to make Roid Fusion Chain Beat consistent and how to fix Neo Spacians in a manner that doesn't completely change the archetype (maybe that's what they need idk), I had another small idea that would help fit all of the Insect support together in a nice package while making the first "LV" sub-archetype (since none of the LV monsters are actually an archetype since they don't have any name support).

A couple things to remind you of: Insects have a better version of Transmodify that was released a decade earlier in the name of Insect Imitation, And 2 different Sangan-like cards in the forms of Resonance Insect and Retaliating "C." I didn't know that, and neither did a bunch of you, but the archetype I'm creating revolves a bit on the existence of Monster Type support similar to how Yosenju is only possible through the existence of Zombie support like Mezuki, Plaguespreader, and others.

Let's get to the cards:

①②③ <for those that want to use them but don't know how to make them>

Trap-Digging Anteater LV4

1600/1800 EARTH/Insect/Effect

You can only use each effect of this card's name once per turn.

① Tribute 1 Insect monster; Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower EARTH Insect monster from your Deck in Defense Position.

② If this card is sent from the field to the GY: you can add 1 “Anteater LV” monster with a higher level than this card from your deck to your hand.

Alright, so this is the small guy. I added "Trap-Digging" and extra verbs to each of the monster. Also, note that at first I thought this deck was originally going to be centered on Trap cards activating from your hand during your opponents turn.

Root-Tearing Anteater LV5

2000/2400 EARTH/Insect/Effect

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by Tributing 1 Insect monster. Monsters this card battles cannot use their card effects until the End Phase. If there’s a “Trap Digging Anteater LV4” in your GY, gain the following effect(s):

① Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 Insect monster; Set 1 "Anteater" Spell/Trap from your deck.

② If this card is sent from the field to the GY: you can add 1 “Anteater LV” monster with a higher level than this card from your deck to your hand.

Remember Insect Imitation? That will explain why this monster is only 1 level above. You may also see that this is far from traditional leveling. This is meant to be a much faster way of leveling while also only having their abilities when the preceded monsters are in the GY. It means you can use the LV support cards without them screwing you over. Except for Level Modulation. Give your opponent a +2 just for you to be able to revive a LV monster? Konami what are you doing?

Yes, there's going to be Spell/Traps for the archetype. Happy?

Earth-Quaking Anteater LV8

2400/3000 EARTH/Insect/Effect

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by Tributing 1 “Root-Tearing Anteater LV5". This card is unaffected by Monster effects. If there are 2 or more "Anteater LV" monsters with different names in your GY, gain the following effect(s):

① Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can Tribute 2 Insect monster; Destroy all monsters on the field.

② While this card is in your GY: You can banish 2 Insect monsters from your GY; Special Summon this card, but banish it when it leaves the field.

Trade-in fodder? Check. Revival from GY effect? Check. Literal DARK HOLE? Check. Unaffected by Monster Effects including its own destruction effect? Check. All of this + the ability to Rank 8 with Doom Dozer. Hope you're happy. This is how I do a boss monster. The way I did the LV system for this card makes it so I could make an alternate LV8 monster, which would be cool. Maybe one that focuses on the actual on the ACTUAL METAMORPHOSIS OF AN ANTLION (these monsters are based on Antlions btw)

Wind-Waking Anteater LV8

3000/2400 WIND/Insect/Effect

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by Tributing 1 “Root-Tearing Anteater LV5". This card is unaffected by Traps. If there are 2 or more "Anteater LV" monsters with different names in your GY, gain the following effect(s):

① Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can Tribute 2 Insect monster; Destroy all Spell/Traps on the field.

② While this card is in your GY: You can banish 2 Insect monsters from your GY; Special Summon this card, but banish it when it leaves the field.

Trade-in fodder? Check. Revival from GY effect? Check. Annoying the reader with stuff they already know? Check. Anyway, this is essentially an opposite monster you can use instead. Or, just use both. Trade-In will love you all the better. Maybe this is a bit broken having an archetype Heavy Storm and Dark Hole is a bit too versatile, but that's what I'm going for.

Anteater's Party Invitation

Normal Spell

Special Summon 2 Level 4 or lower EARTH Insect monsters with different names from your Deck in Attack Position. Their ATK becomes 0, and are destroyed during the End Phase. You cannot Special Summon monsters from your Deck or Extra Deck for the rest of the turn.

The holy grail of restrictive Special Summoning. The idea is that you don't actually Special Summon from the deck, ironic considering the origin of LV monsters. This is the card you can use to get your tribute fodder for the Anteater's effects. Originally it was only Insects, but I don't know if I like the idea of people using Bee List Soldier so this card may need further testing.

This whole archetype was designed around the idea of being able to level up to LV8 in one turn while giving Insects something to play with. Thinking about some more Spells and Traps, but for now, this is good enough for me. I'll come back to this later when I do the rest of the "Roid" cards I've been working on. If you have any ideas for the archetype, or you simply want to critique the cards, go ahead. 

EDITS: A level 1 Tuner

Sand-Fiddling Anteater LV1

400/600 EARTH/Insect/Tuner/Effect

You can only use each effect of this card's name once per turn. If there’s a “Trap Digging Anteater LV4” in your GY, gain the following effect(s):

① You can Tribute this card: Special Summon 1 level 4 or 5 "Anteater LV" monster from your GY.

② While this card is in your GY: You can banish 1 Insect monsters from your GY; Special Summon this card, but banish it when it leaves the field.

I just wanted you to be able to use One for One, and to make the deck a bit more consistent because there isn't a ROTA for Insects and I'm not planning on making one.

I guess you didn't like the ideas of making them Pendulums and revealing 4+ Insects for their Flower Gathering? xD
"Level X or lower" is the appropriate text, rather than "Level X or below".
The mechanic of gaining effects while in the gave bugs me a bit; I mean, cards can have effects in the grave for sure, like Helpoemer (trigger effect) and Phantom Beast Cross Wing (Continuous effect), but those are built-in that have to meet a condition to apply, rather than being gained as your Anteater bosses do. Maybe you have to take the long way with their condition and write:
If there are 2 or more "Anteater LV" monsters with different names in your GY while this card is in you GY: You can banish 2 Insect monsters from your GY; Special Summon this card, but banish it when it leaves the field.

Anyway, I see you took an approach similar to the new Parshath in that it is a recurring boss at the cost of Insects in the GY as fodder. Most of the cards look alright and the cost of Tributes should keep them fair even if they break even when using the rather forgettable floater Insects. The only thing I find concerning is the lack of hard OPT on the self-Summon effects of the bosses, because by Xyzing you bypass the banish drawback, allowing you to Summon them repeatedly until you run out of Link points and Insect fodder in the GY.

You are right about the level or lower thing.

The bosses don't have OPT effects because of that they need 2 particular insects in the GY, itself in the GY, and to banish 2 insects (which might have to include the ones you need to have the ability). That's at least 5 insects in the GY, 8 if you want to use another one's effect since they get banished when they leave the field. I guess if you have Lawnmowing it might be a bit op, but then you have to run the limited Lawnmowing and make a 60 card deck, which doesn't sound all that appealing. I'd rather you have the ability to try to exploit the lack of an OPT clause rather giving it one for the sake of giving it one.

The card's in GY effect was actually to adapt the LV mechanic since it had always been too slow. This was the only way I could think of that actually made sense for the archetype, other than simply having the ability to level up during the main phase.

The LV8 monsters, in particular, are fine I think. I haven't seen an official ruling or wording of any kind that says you can't gain effects while in the GY. I also think it would be a cool think to consider for Gemini monsters, giving them some grave traps that can become effect monsters via abilities.

The Flower Gathering effect was lost since despite taking Bee List soldier out of the equation the archetype itself could tribute monsters, so I didn't want it to be too broken. I might change the card again later.

I realized they don't Special Summon their higher LV, not even from the hand; that's another bit of irony towards the LV mechanic.

I agree, Lawnmowing and a 60-card deck to abuse the bosses wouldn't be feasible in TCG, but still, there are other methods for milling, like LS, although to be fair those would be just as impractical; but consider that you can also banish non-Anteater Insects for their Summon, a with the floater bugs, Transmodify, Insect Imitation and their Invitation, it shouldn't be difficult to set a couple of those monsters in the Graveyard.

Anyway, want to note that Multiplication of Ants may be a good tech in the deck, and I wonder if Crawlers could be effective as well; I mean, as EARTH/Insects this archetype gets access to Neurogos and Synapses although their Link points only work when they are in a MM Zone, but that's where Missus Radiant comes it to take the EM Zone, and if you tech a pair of Crawlers, perhaps the one with generic Flip effects, you can take advantage of the floating effects of the Crawler Links, but I guess that's easier said than done.

I did think about Lightsworns and Crawlers (I was a bit relieved when I saw that the Crawlers had to be destroyed by your opponent's card effects). I don't mind if they could synergize, since either way it wouldn't be very meta. Thinking about making a level 1 Tuner (because Naturia Beast might be a fun tech with the milling) and another Spell. The level 1 tuner will be apart of the archetype but not really of the leveling system unless I make it that way. The spell might be kinda like the Spider Vapor card but also maybe not that broken unless it isn't broken.

Archived