Red-Eyes Polymerization (alt. title: Magnamity with Eyes of Red)

Black D'Sceptyr

red_eyes_polymerization_by_bdsceptyr-daf

[spoiler=Vintage Polymerization: Info]

Quick-Play Spell Card

Lore: When you control no Effect Monsters, or when all the monsters you control are "Red-Eyes B. Dragon": Reveal 1 Level 10 or lower DARK Dragon Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, and if you do, banish the Fusion Materials listed on it from your GY. During the Standby Phase of the next turn after this effect was activated (and was not negated): Fusion Summon 1 Fusion Monster with the same name as the monster you revealed for this card's first effect from your Extra Deck, and if you do, return 1 banished "Red-Eyes" monster that was used as a Fusion Material this turn to the hand, and if you do that, inflict damage to your opponent equal to half of its original ATK. You can only activate 1 "Red-Eyes Polymerization" per turn.

Well, I've gone and bumped up Red-Eyes a tier, haven't I

especially considering you can just drop 1 when your opponent smokes your one Fusion from Red-Eyes Fusion and laugh in their face.

Then hit them for 1200-1400 at the end of the turn.

2400-2600 if you brought out Meteor Black Comet.

I am so degenerate right now but really you'll need this to START to compare against Sage-into-Stone-of-Antiques-into-Melody-of-Awakening Dragon-into-BEAWD-into-BESD-into-Azure-into-Pot-of-Desires-into-Dragon-Spirit-of-White-during-the-End-Phase.dek

Anyways, may the reviews and revelry arrive in abundance. Mirage Fabbery-my one-shot attempt to fix the Mecha Phantom Beasts-is next.

BDS, signing off.

UPDATE: After two tries, this is now a Quick-Play Spell that you'll still want to activate on your turn. Thanks to Darj and Eshai for the contributions to this better card you see today.

Couple Problems with the card:

- The (This card is treated as a "") only applies to mistranslated cards from the OCG to the TCG, which doesn't make much sense in this context where it's an TCG original.

- You have to make it a Quick-Play or a Trap to make it active during your opponents turn since it only has a Spell Speed of 1. This is why cards like this don't exist outside of Traps like Struggling Battle or the Phantasm Traps.

This means you'd have to make it a Trap or remove the effect, which kinda bogs down the utility quite a bit. You could make it a Quick-Play Spell, but the ability would lose it's point.

If anything I think making this card into a Continuous Spell would solve most of those problems. Have its first effect be similar to how Valhalla works, and then have the last effect turn it into a Quick Effect.

While it could be MST negated it could let you Fusion Summon every turn and allow for some annoying continuous burning (in which with the continuous effect I would probably limit to the non-Fusion monsters).

Couple Problems with the card:

- The (This card is treated as a "") only applies to mistranslated cards from the OCG to the TCG, which doesn't make much sense in this context where it's an TCG original.

- You have to make it a Quick-Play or a Trap to make it active during your opponents turn since it only has a Spell Speed of 1. This is why cards like this don't exist outside of Traps like Struggling Battle or the Phantasm Traps.

This means you'd have to make it a Trap or remove the effect, which kinda bogs down the utility quite a bit. You could make it a Quick-Play Spell, but the ability would lose it's point.

If anything I think making this card into a Continuous Spell would solve most of those problems. Have its first effect be similar to how Valhalla works, and then have the last effect turn it into a Quick Effect.

While it could be MST negated it could let you Fusion Summon every turn and allow for some annoying continuous burning (in which with the continuous effect I would probably limit to the non-Fusion monsters).

Thank you so much.

Perhaps Red-Eyes does need a Continuous Spell anyways, but I could never properly put down how that'd work. I could mix-and-match some effects for it tho.

Red-Eyes Polymerizer

Continuous Spell

While you control no Effect Monsters: Fusion Summon 1 Dragon Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck by banishing its Fusion Materials from your hand or GY. While your opponent controls a Special Summoned monster, this is treated as a Quick Effect.

During the End Phase of the turn this card's effect was activated: You can return 1 of your banished "Red Eyes" monster(s) to your hand.

You can only use each effect of "Red-Eyes Polymerizer" per turn.

I think something like this would be fine, but I'm probably wrong.

Yeah, there are still issues with that take on the effect: first, only monster effects can be Quick Effects, not Spell/Trap effects, and you still have to deal with Continuous Spells being Spell Speed 1. For a Continuous Spell to apply an effect during the opponent's turn, it should have a condition that can be fulfilled during that turn, for example the Pendulum effects of Zarc magicians, Verdant Sanctuary, etc. But IMO that would just complicate things; you could just make this card a Quick-Play Spell.

I find weird how it has a rather generic name but has a "Harpie clause", and yet the first effect is a conditional Dragon's Mirror, while the rest of the effects involve Red-Eyes; you may as well name it "Red-Eyes Polymerization" instead and skip the Harpie clause.

As for the card's uses and stuff, IDK how good it is since I have little experience with Red-Eyes.

Yeah, there are still issues with that take on the effect: first, only monster effects can be Quick Effects, not Spell/Trap effects, and you still have to deal with Continuous Spells being Spell Speed 1. For a Continuous Spell to apply an effect during the opponent's turn, it should have a condition that can be fulfilled during that turn, for example the Pendulum effects of Zarc magicians, Verdant Sanctuary, etc. But IMO that would just complicate things; you could just make this card a Quick-Play Spell.

I find weird how it has a rather generic name but has a "Harpie clause", and yet the first effect is a conditional Dragon's Mirror, while the rest of the effects involve Red-Eyes; you may as well name it "Red-Eyes Polymerization" instead and skip the Harpie clause.

As for the card's uses and stuff, IDK how good it is since I have little experience with Red-Eyes.

After Pegasus Wing and Bronze Scale got treated as "Sky" cards by the Wikia, I just up and decided they were doling this "Harpie clause" like candy. 

But as per you and Eshal's contributions, this is now a Continuous Spell, and its name has changed as well.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that this bumps Red-Eyes up an entire tier, but it's still pretty nice. Letting Red-Eyes have an actual follow-up play after REF is nice, and making a shaddoll clause for your opponent's turn is actually kinda handy, however the clause will probably never come into effect vs most things of note, especially if the opponent is running Ghost Ogre. Honestly, I agree with some other posters saying it should be a quick-play with some minor restrictions, instead of a continuous spell with a quick effect. Being quick play grants the card a LOT more flexibility and tbqh Red-Eyes could use way more flexibility.

Also, the name is kinda clunky. Perhaps "Red-Eyes Vintage Fusion" or "Vintage Red-Eyes Fusion" instead?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived