[OCG] SDR – Power Angel Valkyria

(Ohai Dunames Dark Witch retrain.)

Other than it being a nice searcher for the Deck in general (given the whole thing revolves on negation, which there's an abundance of) and decent stats, not too much I can say about it. Card is fine. 

[Trying to think of other Decks that can make optimal use of this, outside this Deck / Counter Fairies or I guess Heralds.]

Well that's nice. Herald of Perfection is now closer to its more modern brethren.

Personally, I really don't fully get Counter Fairies tbh. Even as generic as some Counter Traps are, and as consistent as the Fairies try to be, I can't help but feel there's just some kind of... disconnect. I wasn't playing when CF were originally a thing, so I don't know how they operated before or even have any real clue how to build 'em now.

...but enough about my confusion; this card can trigger off Doomcaliber Knight and that's all that matters.

Wow, it searches for any LIGHT/Fairy regardless of level; time to grab Kristya, Trickstars, etc. xD

I had been waiting for a generic card that tributed monsters from the hand, so no Hieratics and stuff, in order to use Benten as a searcher, but this card may work for that purpose instead. Although you still require another card to enable the search.

With all these toys they are getting, I wish Counter Fairies get a card that lets them activate Counter Traps from the hand; that would patch up their start-up issues and help with dealing with stuff during the player's turn. inb4 an upcoming Sanctuary on the Sky retrain does that :v

Cool, it gets that other card people were overhyping, that loops counter traps.

Too bad counter fairies lack a reliable way to put their hand on the field. Wouldn't be surprised by a pendulum to match ariadne (since luster is limited now).

Ngl, this supporting light monsters triggered my whole "why do bullets have such garbage typing" schtick, but this would just be garbage there so who gives a funk.

With all these toys they are getting, I wish Counter Fairies get a card that lets them activate Counter Traps from the hand; that would patch up their start-up issues and help with dealing with stuff during the player's turn. inb4 an upcoming Sanctuary on the Sky retrain does that :v

as terrible as it may sound, temple of kings is a rather close second to this idea. you can't activate them from hand (which is good imo, because counter traps are already the highest tier of traps) but you at least get the option to use one trap per turn should end phase MST become an issue, or if your opponent tries to do something like ghost ash/ogre/veiler/strike/warning your monster. it's not exactly powerful, but it definitely adds a bit of variance.

Personally, I really don't fully get Counter Fairies tbh. Even as generic as some Counter Traps are, and as consistent as the Fairies try to be, I can't help but feel there's just some kind of... disconnect. I wasn't playing when CF were originally a thing, so I don't know how they operated before or even have any real clue how to build 'em now.

counter fairies of the past had some of the currently limited/banned counter traps in abundance, and Divine punishment was like a second third and fourth judgement. the deck's main goal was to build advantage off of bountiful artemis as you negate effects, and destroy other cards with while recovering some of the hefty LP payments via meltiel. there really wasn't much to learn, you simply used the most effective counter traps, the counter faires meltiel and artemis, hope to drop your archangel, and guard via negate attacks/ mirror forces. throw in some upstarts, add your own spin on the trap lineup, (while running the strongest generic counter trap cards of whichever format you're in) and the deck was just about complete.

Wow, it searches for any LIGHT/Fairy regardless of level; time to grab Kristya, Trickstars, etc. xD

I had been waiting for a generic card that tributed monsters from the hand, so no Hieratics and stuff, in order to use Benten as a searcher, but this card may work for that purpose instead. Although you still require another card to enable the search.

I would hate break the news to you, but Sanctuary has been supposedly confirmed for reprint in the SD, so unfortunately we won't be getting a retrain.

Anyway, this is quite good. We are on the right track here with these supports and really fascinated to see where this goes. I don't think it is likely, but I would be gearing my hopes up for a Voltanis retrain or another Parshath card. Also I hope with this card they don't screw up the name. Maybe because of this Konami reprints Dunames Valkyria in another random set

would you elaborate? why?

1. No real combo effect

2. Once per turn clause

3. Requires you to keep it on the field to get a 1 to 1 replacement effect and has no protection

4. Purely reactive and relies on your opponent.

5. More often uses limit resources of counter trap card and monster effect to get it's effect off

Babymon actually has a pretty good point.

Yeah, it can search for stuff, but it is just so damn slow. You probably won't be able to get a search off until the opponent's turn after you summon this. That simply doesn't cut it these days. Hell, that hasn't cut it in years. Not to mention that in hands without a counter trap (or other way to trigger it, I guess), this does absolutely nothing, and that running a critical mass of counter traps to reliably set this off is just going to cause brick hands.

This isn't even going into the fact that adding the card to your hand does funk-all. This means you will have to wait even longer before you get the payout of having the searched monster on board, and by then this monster is surely destroyed and it just amounted to a slow, situational rota that consumed your normal summon.

I think this is a huge consistency boost for the deck.... 

We have Summoner Monk, this card, and Ties of the Brethren. Just about any Level 4 is accessible.

For now it is good this searches out Ariadne to use as a Scale and Honest for discard, while Ties of the Brethren is in charge of putting things on board.

We sort of need the high scale now though I guess it'll do with anything generic like Excentrick Archfiend for now.

I don't think the deck is gonna lend itself at all for teching in older bosses of the deck. Voltanis was always too hefty to be ran and Dark Voltanis needs DARKS.... Maybe the deck could use Vandalgion but I'm also not entirely sure how that'd turn out.

I think this is a huge consistency boost for the deck....

We have Summoner Monk, this card, and Ties of the Brethren. Just about any Level 4 is accessible.

As much as I love Summoner Monk, would it really be counted as a point of consistency in Counter Fairies? I mean, how many Spells are run in the Deck?

Only on negation of activation, which is actually quite rare at the end of the day.

Ah, I wasn't clear enough: I meant that it works with negations from non Counter Traps, unlike Artemis, Meltiel and Minerva. But yes, negation of activation; didn't think I had to be more specific.

By the way, how is that rare? Last time I checked, most negation effects still negate the activations, rather than the effects. The only relevant exceptions that come to mind are Ghost Ash, the Abyss-cale armors, and V.F.D. indirectly through activation prevention.

Ah, I wasn't clear enough: I meant that it works with negations from non Counter Traps, unlike Artemis, Meltiel and Minerva. But yes, negation of activation; didn't think I had to be more specific.

By the way, how is that rare? Last time I checked, most negation effects still negate the activations, rather than the effects. The only relevant exceptions that come to mind are Ghost Ash, the Abyss-cale armors, and V.F.D. indirectly through activation prevention.

Dragostapelia, Effect Veiler, Cross-Dominator, Titanic Galaxy, Fog Blade, BTS, Siegfried (lol) etc etc etc.

Negating the effects of monsters (and occasionally other card types) usually is only that. Actually negating the activations is considerably less common, and also limits the timing in which it can be used, making this incredibly unreliable to use to increase consistency. Even when this card is just used to produce advantage, it does so awkwardly, by providing cards that the deck really doesn't desire after it is in an advantageous board-state.

Well, it's not like you play this and LIGHT Fairies in anything that Summons Dragostapelia, Siegfried, Cross-Dominator; and for Veiler, Hope Harbinger, there are other alternatives that negate activations, like Herald of Orange Light and Lancelot respectively, although they are trickier to play with. There are also techs like My Body as a Shield.

Anyway, I mainly wanted to highlight that the card may shine outside of Counter Fairies, since I noticed some comments were too focused on that deck when this Valkyria is more flexible than that. Although it's true it's awkward at generating the advantage.

BTS

lol you mean lost wind, right? jk

Anyway, I see this card as mostly underwhelming, but I think it may be usable. I've been playing a very casual deck online recently which is basically using the Fluffal engine (3x Dog, 3x Bear, 3x Wings, 3x Vendor) to power Heralds of Orange/Green Light. Separately I also played Invoked Fluffal Zombies on a pre-link simulator, which essentially uses Invocation to get Wings in the GY, while also getting the hand advantage to power Mechaba.

Both Mechaba and Orange/Green Heralds provide ample outlets for activation negation, and the Fluffals help put Fairies in the GY for Arch-Parshath since that card doesn't care about them being LIGHT fairies. I think something could come of this, depending on what else we get in this Structure Deck.

EDIT for clarification: I wasn't suggesting you put zombies in a deck with this, just Invoked.

Archived