The Banning of Enguin Engs by the Coward Sakura Haruno

Greetings, fellow niggas. I gather you here today to speak about the recent miscarriage of justice which occured just down the road from here, in our humble YCM Discord server. What follows is the series of events, as best I can recall, that lead to this repugnant act.

Day 1: 27/7/17
Sakura's fellow moderator Yui has been sabotaging my avatar for days now. I, in hilarious protest, start using his avatar. I then realise a name change is available to me, and decide to take advantage of this opportunity, becoming Yuï. Sadly the moderators do not approve, and my avatar is sabotaged once more.

Realising that the mods power does not extend to Discord, I flee there and adopt the same identity. I then send these messages over the course of the next few hours, before retiring to my quarters.

Night 1: 27/7/17 - 28/7/17
A member of the mod team sees these messages. Deciding that there is no need to scroll back slightly and see my other messages pre-Yui, verify my identity with any other mods, mention the promotion in the server's mod chatroom channel, ask Yui himself why he has suddenly joined Discord despite not having previously been present, or wonder why Yui suddenly had a completely different personality and posting style, he promoted me to junior moderator.

Day 2: 28/7/17
I awaken to find my name is blue. Confused, I check the active user list and discover the hilarious error. In my initial overexcitement, I create a channel named "rapey-rewas'-house-of-horrors" or something similar. Almost immediately I realise that this completely blows my cover, and quickly change it to "#reading", a totally unecessary channel but completely innocuous and not at all suspicious given the mod teams penchant for creating similarly pointless ones at random.

Now composed, I set about making the server great again. "But Enguin!", I hear you cry, "You shouldn't have used those powers at all!". Perhaps so, though I shouldn't have been granted them either. If it's against the rules to use mod powers incorrectly granted to you (no such rule exists), surely it's an even worse offence to give mod powers to random members as a result of negligence? If I am to be banned, then whoever promoted me should be as well.

I digress. Regardless of the legitimacy of my ascendance to modhood, I had a responsibility to the server's denizens to serve and protect. For the majority of my tenure, indeed until its final moments, I was the only mod online. Treb, who isn't even a mod but retains an admin position on the server (would be incredibly convenient to pin my false promotion on him and ban him alongside me eh), popped up briefly but didn't respond when I pinged him.

Knowing now that I was the only one who could save the server, I set about making the following changes:

> Changed the server from somewhere USA to Brazil. I bring this up first as it was, for some reason, brought up as a particularly notable offence. It takes all of 10 seconds to change it, it makes no difference to anything, and to the best of my knowledge there isn't even a limit to how often you can do it. You could just spend a day flipping the server setting across the world over and over and over and over and would suffer no negative consequence.

> Reinstated reactions and nicknames, two features removed by the mods ages ago in what I can only assume was an attempt to mimic big servers. We have at most 20 active members at any one time, and having these things available is not going to cause any damage. How could it? "Oh no there's an eggplant under that post aaaaaaaaaagh"? I announced both of these changes in "#news", as they were the only ones I made that affected users in a way they couldn't change. Notably this hasn't even been undone as far as I know, so despite it being one of my wanton acts of destruction which factored in banning me from the server it hasn't met with any resistance from anyone.

> Set the nickname of a literally who to "Erect Penis c:". He has never posted, didn't respond when pinged, and nobody cares. Also gave Mitch the nickname of "Annerjabroni", a hilarious play on his account name "Annerbe" and his jabroni-like personality.

> Changed the server's name from "Yu-Gi-Oh Cardmaker Discord" to "Yu-Gi-Oh Carmdaker Discord". No idea if anyone has even noticed yet. I truly ruined the server.

> Altered the descriptions of some channels, or added descriptions where there were previously none. I imagine the most egregious example is "#ygo-tcg-ocg", where I changed "do NOT feed Winter" to "do NOT funk Winter", though both are equally sound advice. This and the remainder were still on-topic, and I don't see why it's considered damaging the server to make it a bit more interesting.

> Lastly, something I didn't do but have been accused of is changing moderator's permissions to make them unable to view certain channels or something. Firstly, why would I do this? Even if I did, full mods outrank me, they could just change it back. Secondly, if I did this every mod would be affected, not just Zai. This is clearly a problem on his end, not me pointlessly restricting his access to certain (not even named) channels.

Anyway after all that, Zai appeared and was notified that very obviously not Yui was very obviously not Yui. I have no screenshots this time, and since I'm banned all my posts will be gone so my side of the conversation can't be seen, but I only got to speak twice before he muted me fo prevent me from defending myself. Here is a rough transcription:

Zai - gimme one good reason not to ban you
Our Hero - gimme one good reason to
Blaxk - good reason not to is hina had the same situation for a much longer period and isn't banned
Zai - fair enough
some time passes
Zai - nvm you're muted while we decide what to do

At this point Zai left to confer with nobody. No other mods were online. After half an hour or so of consulting myself I realised I could post in "#reading" and did a few times, then left and rejoined the server to get around the indefinite mute, and also because the abovd conversation took place in "#venting", which I couldn't view when muted.

I then closed Discord and returned to find I was banned. Of course thankfully we have great mod transparency, so they didn't announce this in the "#news" channel where punishments are listed, and I wasn't even told myself. I only found out when I realised it wasn't on my server list thing and got non-cowards to send me invite links. I tried to PM Zai but I couldn't since he has cowardly settings that prevent me from doing so, and Sakura was the same.

I then PM'd Zai on YCM since I presumed he had banned me. He informed me it was Sakura, which brings us to the current end of our tale. I asked Sakura why he banned me, he responded, bafflingly, with "likely" reasons despite him being the one who supposedly did it, and one of those was spamming which is demonstrably false. I responded, defending myself, and he has thus far ignored me. He's made a good few posts in the interim and I can see he read the PM so idfk what the plan is but I don't have a lot going on right now so I'll keep this up for as long as required.

tl;dr - unban me you pigs in moderator's clothing

THE END

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you guys r mad but really its ur fault ycm mods are the worst mods ever they rather blame another user for impersonating them instead of taking full on responsibility and acknowledge that yes theyre incompetent

The mods at the moment are the best i've seen. Just before I left a year ago it was in shambles with mass confusion to who the mod team even was.

Also, you impersonate a person of power, expect consequences. If I was to say set up a twitter account as Donald Trump tommorow, I would be arrested.

Cute thread, but goes in C&S or - more likely given it's you and the responses - Misc. Putting it in the latter until someone gives me some good reasons it belongs in General.

That's not really the point. He got promoted against his will due to some mod's negligence. If he's getting punished for it, so should the relevant mod.

Just as it wouldn't be hard to check and make sure the wrong member was promoted, it's in no way difficult to say "I'm sorry, you've promoted the wrong person" instead of running about and seeing what you can do with your new power.

crooked zai claimed it would kill his phone battery having to post about your banning in news but don't worry i had your back and called him on his bullshit!

ok i didn't but i would've if i felt like it!

Cute thread, but goes in C&S or - more likely given it's you and the responses - Misc. Putting it in the latter until someone gives me some good reasons it belongs in General.

First response from a mod involves attempting to delegitimise my complaint by moving it to the shitpost section. Niceu. I can't control how other people respond, and the fact of it being my thread isn't close to a reason.

Just as it wouldn't be hard to check and make sure the wrong member was promoted, it's in no way difficult to say "I'm sorry, you've promoted the wrong person" instead of running about and seeing what you can do with your new power.

Sure. Therefore, the punishment for both parties should be equal. Currently only I am banned. Either both I and the mod should be banned, or neither of us. As it stands, an ordinary member is being held to a higher standard than a moderator.

I am also yet to get an answer as to what rule I broke.

I mean, he jokingly copied the name and picture, but never requested those powers or made much effort to "impersonate" Yui. As he explained, anyone who spent about 7 seconds could tell who it was.

And then when he was given the mod powers, it isn't like he really abused it at all. The changes were minor, reversible, and overall not a big deal.

Some of the staff (particularly Yui) have a very public disdain for Enguin, and I think it is preventing them from looking at this objectively. He was given mod powers not of his own accord, and he used them to mess around with minute changes to the server. He didn't do anything nefarious, and what I'm seeing here shows that mods seem to be unwilling to even listen to his case because of overblown personal grudges.

I suggest you talk to lujan about this, since he is the new discord admin. (Treb quit and nobody else on the mod team wanted to)

I mean, he jokingly copied the name and picture, but never requested those powers or made much effort to "impersonate" Yui. As he explained, anyone who spent about 7 seconds could tell who it was.

And then when he was given the mod powers, it isn't like he really abused it at all. The changes were minor, reversible, and overall not a big deal.

Some of the staff (particularly Yui) have a very public disdain for Enguin, and I think it is preventing them from looking at this objectively. He was given mod powers not of his own accord, and he used them to mess around with minute changes to the server. He didn't do anything nefarious, and what I'm seeing here shows that mods seem to be unwilling to even listen to his case because of overblown personal grudges.

We refuse to listen because Enguin has an incessant habit and history of cautiously teetering on the balance of what does and doesn't break the rules just to test how much he can get away with; it's no surprise we don't like him. If we acted purely out of personal grudges however, he would have been permabanned the second I got mod powers. I just can't do that yet because he needs to do something banworthy, and he, I, and you all know he's (apparently) smart enough not to do that.

Consider it the same kind of treatment a police force would give to someone with a huge pile of misdemeanors, but no actual felonies of note. Or something along those lines.

Archived