The Banning of Enguin Engs by the Coward Sakura Haruno

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We refuse to listen because Enguin has an incessant habit and history of cautiously teetering on the balance of what does and doesn't break the rules just to test how much he can get away with; it's no surprise we don't like him. If we acted purely out of personal grudges however, he would have been permabanned the second I got mod powers. I just can't do that yet because he needs to do something banworthy, and he, I, and you all know he's (apparently) smart enough not to do that.

I'm not going to congratulate you for not permabanning him.

Consider it the same kind of treatment a police force would give to someone with a huge pile of misdemeanors, but no actual felonies of note. Or something along those lines.

Assuming they aren't corrupt as funk, said police force would still treat the person in question fairly, because that's how the law works.

You know the whole "you have a right to remain silent... You have a right to an attorney..."? That is explaining how, when charged, people have the ability to refute these charges in a fair system. Now, I'm not saying YCM should have court, but your example is garbage.

Even if he is occasionally an annoyance, you should treat him fairly, just as any other member. Separating your own personal grievances toward him so you can act objectively is an important aspect of modship. This behavior of yours was brought up as an issue in the past regarding winter. He isn't around right now, but this is telling a similar story. As a mod, it is your job to serve all members fairly, not just the ones that don't bother you.

Ah, I forgot to clarify before someone takes this out of context to another mod (because I know somebody will): I don't claim to speak for the entire mod team. Only myself, unless otherwise stated in no uncertain terms.

With that said, have fun trying to get unbanned from the discord, be good, etc.

Ah, I forgot to clarify before someone takes this out of context to another mod (because I know somebody will): I don't claim to speak for the entire mod team. Only myself, unless otherwise stated in no uncertain terms.

With that said, have fun trying to get unbanned from the discord, be good, etc.

So you used "we" to refer solely to you?

I'm not going to congratulate you for not permabanning him.

I wouldn't expect you to; it's not that hard. Merely tempting.

Assuming they aren't corrupt as funk, said police force would still treat the person in question fairly, because that's how the law works.

You know the whole "you have a right to remain silent... You have a right to an attorney..."? That is explaining how, when charged, people have the ability to refute these charges in a fair system. Now, I'm not saying YCM should have court, but your example is garbage.

Even if he is occasionally an annoyance, you should treat him fairly, just as any other member. Separating your own personal grievances toward him so you can act objectively is an important aspect of modship. This behavior of yours was brought up as an issue in the past regarding winter. He isn't around right now, but this is telling a similar story. As a mod, it is your job to serve all members fairly, not just the ones that don't bother you.

Fair treatment is the switch somebody pulled to get Winter's perma undone. Look how well that worked out; we got a whole new wave of toxicity for well over a year before giving him another perma-gone-temp, then when he comes back in October I have to put him on such a short leash that he'll likely choke on it before the year is out.

So you used "we" to refer solely to you?

giphy.gif

Fair treatment is the switch somebody pulled to get Winter's perma undone. Look how well that worked out; we got a whole new wave of toxicity for well over a year before giving him another perma-gone-temp, then when he comes back in October I have to put him on such a short leash that he'll likely choke on it before the year is out.

Yes, winter should be treated fairly too. That's how 'fair' works.

So because treating a different person fairly in completely different and unrelated ciecumstances over a year ago didn't go well, I do not deserve to be treated fairly? These are some amazing insights into the mod logic.

While I do agree that you shouldn't have been banned for a simple mistake and a small prank you played, I also think you shouldn't be acting like... This.

Calling Sakura a coward isn't going to help your case. In fact, it'll make it more unlikely anything will change.

You know what.

I can't believe I am saying this

But I actually agree for the most part with Enguin here. And he actually put some effort to make a case.

I do think giving some minor punishment, perhaps a "timeout", for not pointing out the mistake would be good. But complete banning from the Discord seems extreme.

And the mods handled this super poorly as they seem to both be unapologetic about making the mistake and unwilling to work with Enguin to make it better.

If it were me I would have let Enguin back on conditions he would have to accept.

1.) Not use a mod's name on Discord again. (Yeah it's easy to tell but this is mostly to prove that Enguin can be reasonable since it's a simple request)

2.) No more statuses or threads complaining about the ban or statuses or threads gloating about being unbanned (sounds weird but in essence this isn't to silence him it's just to not make what shouldn't have been a big deal into a bigger deal)

3.) Have his avi flipped to face the other way on YCM; change his name on YCM to woC yloH and his member title to ydoleM gnireginL A; ezeerB luftsiW A (this one is because what use is being a mod if you can't have some fun)

I feel I should mention that Lujan is actually the admin of the YCM discord now (because no mods wanted to do it when treb stepped down and I just went "Make Lujan admin" and lujan was immediately made admin) so really we should be taking this up with him.

Wait, is he a member of the mod team?

I'm thinking about how to handle this right now. To me it seems like keeping him out is a mod decision mostly because they don't like his sheet while the majority of members are okay with him returning. At the moment I don't really have a good unbiased reason to keep him banned. As far as being banned from here though, I'm not a mod so I have no say over that.

I'm thinking about how to handle this right now. To me it seems like keeping him out is a mod decision mostly because they don't like his sheet while the majority of members are okay with him returning. At the moment I don't really have a good unbiased reason to keep him banned. As far as being banned from here though, I'm not a mod so I have no say over that.

You should ban the mods in the discord chat. C'mon, that'd be hilarious.

Lowkey this sheet was pretty well written.

this

I didn't click because I knew the basic idea of what happened (I posted the reasoning I was able to get on Discord in enguin's status)/was honestly trying to avoid the brunt of it, and I definitely expected this to be mostly a joke thread, because... Well, it's Enguin.

It's still silly + he did use coward (as is to be expected of enguin), but there's a legitimacy to this thread that I didn't expect. And... that makes me confused why this was moved to misc other than distaste, but that's another matter entirely.

Worth the read because it's genuinely funny, though.

... YCM has a discord server?

it had one but the team appears to have forsaken it

woe is the world

Archived