A new Yu-Gi-Oh (the unban list)

Basicly, my idea was this.

Every card is banned, except the cards that are explicitely unbanned, set to limited, or set to semi-limited.

The idea is that because you have complete control of the banlist and all released cards are pretty bad you can get decks like "Jester Lord beatdown" to compete with "Zoodiacs" (even though both decks have no cards unbanned right now, lol)

If anyone would be interested with flipping around with this idea, I guess just comment on this topic or PM me. All help is welcome!

right now the list is

unlimited

Main Deck Monsters

All non-tuner non-pendulum level 1 or 2 Normal monsters with a DEF lower than or equal to 1900

All non-tuner non-pendulum level 3 Normal monsters with a DEF lower than or equal to 1900 and an ATK lower than or equal to 1700

All non-tuner non-pendulum level 4 Normal monsters with a DEF lower than or equal to 1900 and an ATK lower than or equal to 1700, except "Gamma the Magnet Warrior" and "Mist Valley Watcher" and with the following clause: for each point of ATK that is above 1500 the monster must have a DEF lower than 1500 by 2 points.

(for example "Overdrive" is banned because it's ATK is 1600 and it therefore should have a DEF of maximum 1300, however, its DEF is 1500 which is 200 points too high)

All non-tuner non-pendulum level 5 or 6 Normal monster with a DEF lower than or equal to 2400 and an ATK lower than or equal to 2200 with the following clause: for each point of ATK that is above 1700 the monster must have a DEF lower than 2200 by 2 points.

All non-tuner non-pendulum level 7 or 8 Normal monster with a DEF lower than or equal to 2900 and an ATK lower than or equal to 2700 with the following clause: for each point of ATK that is above 

2200 the monster must have a DEF lower than 2700 by 1 point.

Water Spirit

Needle Ball

Boar Soldier

Missing Force

Mucus Yolk

Crimson Sentry

Kuriboh

Zoodiac Thoroughblade

Zoodiac Kataroost

Zoodiac Bunnyblast

Venom Snake

Venom Serpent

Venom Boa

Aromaseraphy Angelica

Aromage Cananga

Aromage Jasmine

Magical Reflect Slim

Dawnbreak Gardna

Tatsuke Knight

Skelengel

Gyroid

Genex Controller

Galaxy Serpent

All non effect Ritual Monsters

Sonic Bird

Senju of the Thousand Hands

Don Zaloog

All Dark Scorpion monsters

Spells

Gaia Power/Luminous Spark/Molten Destruction/Mystic Plasma Zone/Rising Air Current/Umiiruka

Stop Defense/Block Attack

Spells that deal up to 800 damage as their only effect

Spells that make you gain 1200 life points as their only effect

Mystic Box

Shield Crush

Polymerization

Venom Swamp

Venom Shot

Aroma Garden

Fusion Sage

Sword of the Deep Seated

Black Pendant

Ninghtmare's Steelcage

All non effect ritual monster's Ritual Spells

All Guardian Equip Spells except "Reaper Scythe - Dreadscythe"

Mustering of the Dark Scorpions

Traps

Pyro Clock of Destiny

Raigeki Break

Venom Burn

Ambush Fang

Numinous Healer

Reinforcements

Fusion Monsters

All Non Effect Fusion Monsters

Synchro Monsters

Puralis, the Purple Pyrotile

Gaia Knight, the Force of Earth

Aromaseraphy Rosemary

Flamvell Uruquizas

Star Eater

Giganticastle

Naturia Leodrake

Scrap Archfiend

Xyz Monsters

Number 63: Shamoji Soldier

Shining Elf

Tri-Edge Levia

Zoodiac Boarbow

Gaia Dragon, the Thunder Charger

Number 44: Shining Pegasus

Number 48: Shadow Lich

Number 19: Freezadon

Pilgrim Reaper

semi-limited

None

limited

Main Deck Monsters

Jerry Beans Man

Zoodiac Ratpier

Worm Apocalypse

Man-Eater Bug

Spell Cards

Upstart Goblin

Trap Cards

Dust Tornado

Banned 

The rest

From there you unban more and more cards while keeping everything in check. Because a game like this would just be pretty boring.

Will keep this post updated if there is interest, and I will add stuff other people suggest to the unban list if it's deemed balanced enough. (If a flip load of people say it's balanced but I think it's not I'll still add it to the unban list, I don't want to be some kind of God of this project, my vote on stuff still counts as just 1 vote.)

Not a bad idea to be honest. A few ideas I had was

Spell, monster or trap effects that increase a monsters ATK or DEF should be limited to 1000.

Maximum cards that can be drawn from a card effect is 2.

Xyz materials on a monster is limited to 3 or less.

Just a few things I had in mind.

You could literally just add Venoms (y'know, bar the uber-boss Vennominaga and the dragons) and very little would happen, except for Venom Cobra being the best wall with its 2K booty. I'd say Aromas, but Bergamot is too strong by just 200 DEF, and Angelica is pure, unadulterated power creep over the one Tuner you've allowed.

Also, I like how this encourages the presence of some of the random DM Fusions (Metal Dragon OPOP).

Anyway, if you want to widen your Synchro/Xyz access, you could just do the simpler ones- Gaia Knight for one, and/or possibly Flamvell Uruquizas. Then, for Xyz, try the R3 based on stat boosting, Giga-Brilliant and Shadow Lich, as they are weaker than most of the Tribute monsters you'd be bringing out with 2 Level 3s (making up for it by being more accessible), Gem-Knight Pearl is basically just a Level 8, Sky Pegasus gives an option for effect removal just in case your beaters aren't big enough, and Gaia Dragoon gives a high-Rank option that gets damage in past defensive walls.

Why was Jasmine barred, if you don't mind my asking? Without consistency cards (Terraforming is banned, and there aren't many good heal cards), you won't be getting off her draw effect very often, and the extra NS won't be coming in very often. I mean, you can limit or semi-limit her, if you think that her 1900 booty might be too much, but remember that if you want her effect to go off you need her face-up, and she's a vulnerable 100 stick.

I'd also recommend Worm Apocalypse and Man-Eater Bug for more effect removal (S/T and monsters, respectively), because if your opponent opens up well they might not give you much of a chance to get 2 Level 4s on the field.

I also recommend the Dark Scorpion archetype, because they offer a more unique fighting style.

Beyond that, here are a few more random ideas I had:

Skelengel (to have slightly more recovery if you're losing)

Tasuke Knight (comeback guy #2)

Fusion Sage (make players who want to Summon Fusions not just lose due to sheer inconsistency)

Gyroid (Tribute fodder less likely to just instantly die, in case you were scared of monsters who straight-up cannot be killed in battle)

Strike Slash (+700 and piercing, for one monster, for a single turn, in a Trap. It's good, but not amazing)

Gachi Gachi Gantestsu (THE R2)

The Seal of Oraicalchos (because memes, soul-stealing, and its restrictions actually mattering)

Petit Moth + the Moth cards (because there's a chance to actually pull them off here, a tiny tiny chance)

Sword of Deep-Seated, Black Pendant, the Guardian equips (but not the Guardians themselves, because hahaha no- power boosts are kinda necessary)

Nightmare Steelcage (stall potential that doesn't bust your meta)

Genex Controller and Galaxy Serpent (another Tuner would be nice, and these guys are even Normal monsters)

Non-effect Rituals, plus their Ritual Spells, Sonic Bird, and Senju of the Thousand Hands (poor Rituals, ignored even here)

Why was Jasmine barred, if you don't mind my asking? Without consistency cards (Terraforming is banned, and there aren't many good heal cards), you won't be getting off her draw effect very often, and the extra NS won't be coming in very often. I mean, you can limit or semi-limit her, if you think that her 1900 booty might be too much, but remember that if you want her effect to go off you need her face-up, and she's a vulnerable 100 stick.

Skelengel (to have slightly more recovery if you're losing)

Tasuke Knight (comeback guy #2)

Fusion Sage (make players who want to Summon Fusions not just lose due to sheer inconsistency)

Gyroid (Tribute fodder less likely to just instantly die, in case you were scared of monsters who straight-up cannot be killed in battle)

Strike Slash (+700 and piercing, for one monster, for a single turn, in a Trap. It's good, but not amazing)

Gachi Gachi Gantestsu (THE R2)

The Seal of Oraicalchos (because memes, soul-stealing, and its restrictions actually mattering)

Petit Moth + the Moth cards (because there's a chance to actually pull them off here, a tiny tiny chance)

The moth cards are a no no as the cocoon has a 2k booty

Jasmine was barred for the combination of the 19 booty and effect but I now see that because she has to be face-up to resolve her effect it shouldn't be a problem (unbanned her for that reason)

I find the concept itself good. If I got it right, I think it has been done before.

It boils down to what card games refer to as a "cube".

You ban the entirety of the game, except for a card pool you select from the ground up. 

Pretty much what they did to create the Battle Pack projects. 

I'll keep an eye on this.

Archived