The Banning of Enguin Engs Part 2

Hallohallo

Technically we don't have to tell y'all anything about why a member got banned unless it's for a perma. But I'll come back here later to explain anyway since everyone's just dying to know. Just somebody remind me at some point. Not right now though I haven't eaten yet.

Technically we don't have to tell y'all anything about why a member got banned unless it's for a perma. But I'll come back here later to explain anyway since everyone's just dying to know. Just somebody remind me at some point. Not right now though I haven't eaten yet.

When it comes out of nowhere and apparently against Evilfusion's orders, you're damn right we want an explanation.

Alright, probably not the best explanation, but here's what I've got for y'all. Also keep in mind, this is in no way the official report on what happened; it's purely what I have to say on the matter. We'll have a more official report for everyone later once we're done sorting out the details amongst ourselves. Now with that, let's get started.

As you're all probably aware, not long before this ban went down, Sakura mistakenly promoted Enguin to Discord moderator. Rather than coming clean and informing Sakura that he'd promoted the wrong person, Enguin used his newfound power to make some changes to the server. This was ultimately harmless, but resulted in a Discord permaban for moderator impersonation and the misuse of undue power. This, however, is not why Enguin is currently banned from the forum.

Upon his Discord perma, instead of civilly and quietly asking a mod why this had happened, Enguin brought this "drama" to the forum. While the Discord is no longer an official YCM Discord, bringing drama here from there is still a punishable offense. Additionally, Enguin acted in a manner that can be called harrassment toward at least one moderator. Enguin has a long record of harrassment, and an attitude that has driven members away from the site, and keeps new ones from getting comfortable here.

Enguin's five-day ban was issued for a combination of harrassment, bringing Discord drama to YCM, and an attitude that is detrimental to the health and growth of the site. Initially, this was a seven-day ban, but I concluded not long before handing it out that seven was a bit too much. Upon his return, he will be monitored closely, and punishments will continue to be handed out if he does not change, though I can't imagine I'll be in charge of them after this.

Now, and keep in mind this all is purely personal stuff from here on, but in retrospect, was five days a bit much, or anything more than a nice chunk of wp? Probably. Did I funk up? Absolutely. Am I going to undo it now? Nope. And why's that? Because instead of being civil about it, y'all need to run around like enraged apes over every decision a moderator makes without making sure everyone that isn't even in the mod team - sometimes for very specific reasons - is okay with it. As a non-mod, I always said the thing I hated most about the team was that it always seemed like they'd crack under member pressure when they stir up a shitstorm, and go back on decisions, as if they were afraid of the members for some reason. I refuse to do the same. I funked up, I acknowledge I funked up, but I'm going to stand by my funk-up anyway, partially because Enguin's getting a long PM when he gets back and I need time to get that drafted up while also making sure you people don't burn the site down, and partially because if I don't, it looks like I caved in to pressure from y'all.

Which I'm not gonna do.

Unless I'm just flat-out told to undo it by the supers, Enguin stays banned until like right at the start of Friday. I think y'all can survive a few days without everyone's favorite troll.

Alright, probably not the best explanation, but here's what I've got for y'all. Also keep in mind, this is in no way the official report on what happened; it's purely what I have to say on the matter. We'll have a more official report for everyone later once we're done sorting out the details amongst ourselves. Now with that, let's get started.

As you're all probably aware, not long before this ban went down, Sakura mistakenly promoted Enguin to Discord moderator. Rather than coming clean and informing Sakura that he'd promoted the wrong person, Enguin used his newfound power to make some changes to the server. This was ultimately harmless, but resulted in a Discord permaban for moderator impersonation and the misuse of undue power. This, however, is not why Enguin is currently banned from the forum.

Upon his Discord perma, instead of civilly and quietly asking a mod why this had happened, Enguin brought this "drama" to the forum. While the Discord is no longer an official YCM Discord, bringing drama here from there is still a punishable offense. Additionally, Enguin acted in a manner that can be called harrassment toward at least one moderator. Enguin has a long record of harrassment, and an attitude that has driven members away from the site, and keeps new ones from getting comfortable here.

Enguin's five-day ban was issued for a combination of harrassment, bringing Discord drama to YCM, and an attitude that is detrimental to the health and growth of the site. Initially, this was a seven-day ban, but I concluded not long before handing it out that seven was a bit too much. Upon his return, he will be monitored closely, and punishments will continue to be handed out if he does not change, though I can't imagine I'll be in charge of them after this.

Now, and keep in mind this all is purely personal stuff from here on, but in retrospect, was five days a bit much, or anything more than a nice chunk of wp? Probably. Did I funk up? Absolutely. Am I going to undo it now? Nope. And why's that? Because instead of being civil about it, y'all need to run around like enraged apes over every decision a moderator makes without making sure everyone that isn't even in the mod team - sometimes for very specific reasons - is okay with it. As a non-mod, I always said the thing I hated most about the team was that it always seemed like they'd crack under member pressure when they stir up a shitstorm, and go back on decisions, as if they were afraid of the members for some reason. I refuse to do the same. I funked up, I acknowledge I funked up, but I'm going to stand by my funk-up anyway, partially because Enguin's getting a long PM when he gets back and I need time to get that drafted up while also making sure you people don't burn the site down, and partially because if I don't, it looks like I caved in to pressure from y'all.

Which I'm not gonna do.

Unless I'm just flat-out told to undo it by the supers, Enguin stays banned until like right at the start of Friday. I think y'all can survive a few days without everyone's favorite troll.

It's funny, because most of us are mad BECAUSE you do things like this. You disobey an order from a Super Mod for a thing that in the end, doesn't even matter. Yui, I like you, but you're missing the reasoning why we're angry. You're digging in your heels when you shouldn't be.

Worst part is, you'll probably only get a slap on a wrist, nothing will change, and we'll just move on like nothing happened.

It's funny, because most of us are mad BECAUSE you do things like this. You disobey an order from a Super Mod for a thing that in the end, doesn't even matter. Yui, I like you, but you're missing the reasoning why we're angry. You're digging in your heels when you shouldn't be.

Worst part is, you'll probably only get a slap on a wrist, nothing will change, and we'll just move on like nothing happened.

But you're saying that like I've done this kind of thing before :O

This is the first time I've gone against orders from a super, be it intentionally or due to some sort of misinterpretation (we were only explicitly told not to perma him; unless I missed it somewhere, he never said anything about a temp).

But you're saying that like I've done this kind of thing before :O

This is the first time I've gone against orders from a super, be it intentionally or due to some sort of misinterpretation (we were only explicitly told not to perma him; unless I missed it somewhere, he never said anything about a temp).

Not you, like you, but you as in the mod team. You all can't even have a unified stance, and honestly, it feels like he was banned for a very petty reason.

Also, Black PM'ed Evil, and did let him know it was a temp, and he still expressed frustration.

Hell, you commented on the status chain that revealed this info!

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/statuses/user/170146-i-am-secretariat/?status_id=451327

Not you, like you, but you as in the mod team. You all can't even have a unified stance, and honestly, it feels like he was banned for a very petty reason.

Also, Black PM'ed Evil, and did let him know it was a temp, and he still expressed frustration.

Hell, you commented on the status chain that revealed this info!

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/statuses/user/170146-i-am-secretariat/?status_id=451327

Everything I said there still applies though. I admitted mistakes were made, but also that it's only five days and I'm not exactly eager to undo it. Not before I get the PM I'll need to send drafted up anyway.

I just don't understand how so many still don't understand how to actually punish WHILE not driving people away and being reasonable. jfc it's not that hard to come to civil conclusions.

It's frustrating you say "uncivil" when this has been handled in such an uncivil way.

It's almost entirely "Maybe we made a mistake but he was pretty bad so it doesn't matter." But it's not like it makes a difference in the end most of you feel justified and opposition will be written off as just complaining or trying to get rid of mods and/or becoming one.

Ya know what I'll say it. I think I could have done better. Yeah, sounds arrogant right? But I don't care anymore. I shouldn't have to fear thinking I could do better because of concerns someone will think me arrogant. I'm not trying to become a mod. Nor am I really trying hard to get rid of the mods (only advocating to be sure that those who are mods should be.). I am just so damn tired of seeing poor decisions leading to poor explanations leading to reluctant acceptance leading to bitterness leading to complaints leading to stress leading to drama leading to writing things off because it's easier that way.

Upon his Discord perma, instead of civilly and quietly asking a mod why this had happened, Enguin brought this "drama" to the forum. While the Discord is no longer an official YCM Discord, bringing drama here from there is still a punishable offense. 

1) YCM's Discord and YCM are moderated independently of one another.

2) Bringing "drama" here from YCM's Discord is not against any explicit rule and while "punishable", should not be punished. 

3) The extent of said "drama" was a couple of jokes/Misc threads, not exactly a firestorm.

1) YCM's Discord and YCM are moderated independently of one another.

Yes.

2) Bringing "drama" here from YCM's Discord is not against any explicit rule and while "punishable", should not be punished.

Do we not have that in the rules? Coulda swore it was there. I'll look into this. If it isn't there, it should be.

3) The extent of said "drama" was a couple of jokes/Misc threads, not exactly a firestorm.

I already admitted I funked up one single time since getting the mod position; would prefer not to repeat myself a hundred times.

I am just so damn tired of seeing poor decisions leading to poor explanations leading to reluctant acceptance leading to bitterness leading to complaints leading to stress leading to drama leading to writing things off because it's easier that way.

It's a vicious cycle of negativity breeding negativity. I honestly think mistakes were made on both fronts; between the people against how the decision was carried out for the people carrying out the decision.

Honestly, I think everyone needs to take a step back for a moment and figure out what the takeaways from all of this are. Did the mods make a poor decision? Absolutely, and these sorts of things need to be learned from for future reference. What's done is done, and people need to acknowledge what's been done wrong and know what to be done better in the future.

On the flipside, the member reaction, as per the usual, has just been really poor. It sucks that so much aggressive negativity is lashed out over things like this, and as bad as poor decisions can be it's just not doing anyone any good. Mods and ex-mods can attest how bad it feels to be on the receiving end of this kind of backlash. We need to realize we're all people, we're all humans on this dumb forum, and we could all stand to treat each other better. It's honestly just a forum, and we all need to take a step back and look at this with a rational and calm approach. 

For future reference, on the mod's end, there needs to be some tightening up. I'm not saying add more red-tape and steps to taking action, because any mod who's asked me what my opinion of the state-of-affairs in the past will know that I strongly think all the red-tape bullshit has only enabled people to treat each other very poorly for way longer than they should. I'm saying that at the very least, for future events, there needs to be some sort of standard set to prevent these left-in-the-dark scenarios. And maybe this includes a tightening up of the rules; I'm not saying to spell everything out, because we're all intelligent people to a degree this whole "but did they technically break a rule?" bullshit kinda needs to stop, but a review of some kind? I dunno, it's not my mod team and it's not up to me; if you feel that this experience has learned people enough for the future and that nothing else needs to be done then okay, let time be fruits of those labors. Just whatever needs to be done let it be done and let the mod team be better for this.

On the member side of things, people I mean c'mon. This was still better than last time, but there still could be a better effort to keep the venom to a minimum. Enough with the passive-aggressive statuses and the whole "Drama" bullshit. It doesn't NEED to be drama, and if you're of the opinion that "BUT THEY WON'T LISTEN TO US UNLESS WE GET MEAN" then frickin', next time. Actually y'know what, I'm gonna take a page from Cow's book because, honestly.

I feel I could've addressed the mods about all of this better than you. And if you want to call me that on that, and go "Alright VCR, if you think you can go at these things in a drama-free manner that gets stuff done in a civil and productive manner then let's see you do it" absolutely. I'll put my money to my mouth and if sheet happens again let me know, sit your ass down and I'll show you how it's done. But y'know, maybe I don't need to do that and maybe I'm wrong because maybe you all can do better than how I feel can do it, and maybe you can show me that too.

Don't just expect things to get better because the responsibility from you, the "victim" (whoever that is, be it mod or member) is shifted to the other side. In any situation there's something both parties can do to make things better, and it's our responsibility to figure out what that is, and put it into practice. If your interest is actually, legitimately making this place better for everyone, then do it. Make it happen. Don't just become a part of the problem.

Okay, so. I generally try to be polite with everyone in any given conversation, especially now that I'm a mod, but I'm going to drop that for a bit special for you.

You're a funking idiot. Allegedly, you're a very intelligent person, but I've seen neither hide nor hair of this. If it's true, you have the potential to be an outstanding member here, so why waste it on...well, 99% of everything you do here? And it's cool if you want to be a shitposter that seems to live off provoking others - especially if it gets you perma'd someday - but if you're gonna shitpost, at least be funny. Which, you aren't. Idiot shitposting plus a lack of humor is a poor combination, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to fix one of those things. A poor shitposter, an awful comedian, a lackluster troll...whatever you're trying to accomplish on YCM, you're failing.

Unless your goal here is to be an utter failure of a person. You've got that in spades, so mission accomplished I guess.

Hrmmmmm

I think that personal matters might have had something to do with this ban. 

Hrmmmmm

I think that personal matters might have had something to do with this ban. 

It's no secret I hate Enguin with a passion. However, as has been mentioned in several places, although I wasn't even supposed to ban him in the first place - and mostly did due to misinterpretations on my part - I actually reduced his ban just before doing it, from seven days to five. The Discord incident actually doesn't involve me in the slightest, bar having been the person Enguin impersonated. If I was doing this because of personal matters, it would still be a full-week ban, and it would have been done more or less as it happened, not a day or two later.

Although I can make mistakes, I'm not crazy enough to ban someone over a personal distaste.

Archived