Photo

AGM Archetype Design Contest #2! (Trap Phase)

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• AGM Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts
Hello and welcome to a one-time deal: Two AGM Archetype Design Challenges back-to-back! The next one won't be until December, so make this one count!

So, the way this works is that you will create an archetype in four distinct "phases", that will each last a week: the Main Deck Monster Phase stops accepting submissions 2017/08/08, and will be graded 2017/08/11. The Spell Phase ends for submissions 2017/08/15, and will be graded 2017/08/18. The Trap Phase ends 2017/08/22, and will probably be graded on the 25th, but given that that day is my birthday I may not be finished until the 26th. The ED Phase (because this prompt calls for Synchro Fusion specifically) ends 2017/08/29, and final grades and prizes will be allocated on September 1st.

The prompt in question, which you will all be designing for, is the following:
Salamander
FIRE Reptile-Type and Fairy-Type monsters with a combination gimmick similar to Gusto or Dragunity: The Reptiles are Union Tuners that can be used as Synchro Material while they're equipped to monsters, and the non-Tuner Fairies generally have consistency-based effects (searching, SSing, recovery, etc). Their primary pastime is Synchro Fusion, with their regular Synchros having solid effects that, naturally, they give both of to their respective Fusions. That said, if you're feeling particularly bold, they can Synchro ladder with increasingly restricted Materials, up to a double-Tuning boss that requires 2 Tuners and 1 Synchro of the archetype as its Materials, and accepting no substitutes. As for what they do with all of this . . . they get advantage, and often can inflict hefty amounts of burn damage, when there are less cards in their Graveyard than the opponent's- which is why they have an archetypal Miracle Fusion and quite a few cards based around stuffing their monsters back into the Deck.

My rubric allocates 100 total points per round: 25 for Literacy (understanding of the prompt as-written), 25 for Creativity (doing things that are fun, interesting, and/or unexpected), 20 for Balance (ignoring outside support, is it UP/OP?), 20 for Interactivity (does outside support break your archetype? Because this is a FIRE prompt, be careful with who you can and cannot Rekindle), and 10 for OCG (maximum 10 points, every mistake is minus 1 point if it's a minor error, 2 if it's a major error).

I am the one and only judge this time, which means that you can and will be graded rather . . . harshly.

Anyway, the entry fee is 100 Points per person. 1st place gets a choice between AGM membership and 2/3 of the pot, 2nd place gets the thing 1st place didn't want, and 3rd place gets the last third of the pot.

You all have until midnight PST Tuesday, August 22nd to make a minimum of 2 Traps for the "Salamander" archetype above, and as a hint, you'll probably want them to be actual surprises you'll be springing on your opponent.

Pot

Participants and Grades

Yeah, I favor Spellcaster and Dragon monsters. Yeah, this comes from seeing so many awesome ones in the early "Yu-Gi-Oh!" anime. Does that invite a problem?
I'm also on DeviantART
I'm in the AGM, as its founder
Oh, and CowCow says I'm a Tyrunt.One of these days I will evolve . . .
But I am a Pokémon of my own

August's AGM Deck Challenge:
The FIRE Attribute!
PM me for more details on AGM Deck Challenges, for your chance at 1000 Points!

Reptilious

Reptilious

• VIP
  • 482 posts

Round 2 Baybee! Hopefully this time I do better.

contest thingy

Kyumi

Kyumi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I would like to join but don't know how to put points in the pot. Plz help...
My Archetypes:
The User I look up to as a Mentor:
Goal:

99% of people die when they are killed. If you are part of that 1% who won't, put this in your Signature.

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• AGM Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts
Okay, click anyone's name but your own. You'll be taken to their profile page. Go to "Donate Points", then "Quick Donate", then fill in the appropriate information (100 Points, my name, and the reason being AGM Design Contest 2, or something along those lines).
Yeah, I favor Spellcaster and Dragon monsters. Yeah, this comes from seeing so many awesome ones in the early "Yu-Gi-Oh!" anime. Does that invite a problem?
I'm also on DeviantART

The FIRE Attribute!

Tinkerer

Tinkerer

Elite Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts
  • Alias:Tinkerer
Hello hello, fine proples! I'll be helping judge this one too. I hope to see some interesting stuff from every participant!

Hello, fine peoples!

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• AGM Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts
Oh, and I want everyone to be aware of this before you get to work on your archetypes: Damp Den of the Fungal Serpents lets you OPT search any Reptile whose ATK and DEF add up to exactly 2900 (for example, 1500/1400) if your opponent controls the weakest monster on the field. This is one of very few direct Reptile-Type support cards we have, and it makes Reptiles in the AGM far more powerful than in the actual TCG/OCG.
I'm also on DeviantART

The FIRE Attribute!

Eshai

Eshai

I'm the Guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Would like to sign up.

Archetypes I'm proud of (newest to oldest)

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• AGM Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts
Alright, then send in your 100 Points and design a minimum of 5 Main Deck monster cards for an archetype that follows the above prompt before next Tuesday, posting them here in the thread.

I've also added a secret way to get 5 bonus points from me, but I'm keeping my lips sealed on exactly what it is. Tinkerer will know, though . . . and he shouldn't be telling, either.
I'm also on DeviantART

The FIRE Attribute!

Aman Indra

Aman Indra

West Side Outlaw Bad Boy Killer !!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Count me in but next time i go afk in the last round, make sure to link me spicy memes regarding weather for the rest of my life. Also you killed of almost every ounce of creativity with this complicated concept and you even forced us to take a certain direction lol

EPl3kPL.jpg

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• AGM Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts
Um . . . Kyumi, you have yet to send in your Points. Just so ya know.
I'm also on DeviantART

The FIRE Attribute!

CatmanDaGamer

CatmanDaGamer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
Time to get Draco-Senpai to finally notice me. I'm sending in my points now.

.Belle

.Belle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Jumping in once again. Points sent.

BatMed

BatMed

love me 💕 like you

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

I'm in! Points sent.

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• AGM Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts
Thanks to a generous donation, 20,000 additional Points were added to the Pot!
I'm also on DeviantART

The FIRE Attribute!

Kyumi

Kyumi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I'm probably gonna drop out.
My Archetypes:
The User I look up to as a Mentor:
Goal:

99% of people die when they are killed. If you are part of that 1% who won't, put this in your Signature.

Eshai

Eshai

I'm the Guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Would I lose points if I made the archetype "Salamand" and split the Fairies and Reptiles into Sub-archetypes? Feel like that would be more appropriate but I don't want to lose points for doing something that isn't necessary.

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• AGM Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts
I mean, you could . . . but why?

Also, friendly reminder that submissions are due before midnight Tuesday
I'm also on DeviantART

The FIRE Attribute!

Eshai

Eshai

I'm the Guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Thanks for the reminder. I originally thought it was Monday midnight at the start of Tuesday, but I guess that's just what School has conditioned me into thinking. I thought I could make the searching more diverse with the naming conventions, but I think I've found ways around it anyway.

Reptilious

Reptilious

• VIP
  • 482 posts

squeezing this in because I doubt I'll be able to do this tomorrow

Reptiles

Fairies

I wasn't too sure how to word the Synchro effect for the Union monsters - hopefully I didn't mess up too badly.

contest thingy

.Belle

.Belle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Entry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users