Photo

AGM Archetype Design Contest #2! (Trap Phase)

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• AGM Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts
Well, that was fast. Trap Phase barely started.
Yeah, I favor Spellcaster and Dragon monsters. Yeah, this comes from seeing so many awesome ones in the early "Yu-Gi-Oh!" anime. Does that invite a problem?
I'm also on DeviantART
I'm in the AGM, as its founder
Oh, and CowCow says I'm a Tyrunt.One of these days I will evolve . . .
But I am a Pokémon of my own

August's AGM Deck Challenge:
The FIRE Attribute!
PM me for more details on AGM Deck Challenges, for your chance at 1000 Points!

BatMed

BatMed

love me 💕 like you

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Well, that was fast. Trap Phase barely started.

They were ready days ago x3

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• AGM Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts
Now for some graaaades.

Catman
Literacy: 25/25. No complaints, you did as told.
Creativity: 18/25. It was pretty good, don't get me wrong, and your flavor was on point, just . . . this Spell support feels like it could go into just about any Deck. Cantio copying the effects of another Spell in your Graveyard was a little unexpected, but when the Spells it copies are so uninspired to begin with, I can't give more than a passing shrug.
Balance: 15/20. This one depends on what you do in Phase 4, and I might retcon it depending on how you handle your Synchro Fusion. As is, though, a Quick-Play archetypal Monster Reborn (that Cantio can duplicate, remember) is potentially really scary. Also, hi Toon Table if Contents.
Interactivity: 18/20. The thing here is that you don't exactly . . . react with anything. Library of Sanctuary is stupid here (SS3 revival of any archetypal monster is hilarious), but that's kinda dumb in general so I can't exactly count that against your Salamander cards.
OCG: 4/10
hand comes before GY in location lists (hand, field, Deck, Graveyard, Extra Deck, Banished Zone, in that order) -1
"the targeted card" is redundant, try "that target" -1
That is not how you use colons and semicolons in card text -1
Level always capitalized -1
You can only both effects of "Salamandera Incantation - Confundo" once per turn . . . first, it's "each effect", not "both effects", and second . . . read that sentence again. -2

80/100 B-

BatMed
Literacy: 22/25. You forgot to make a Miracle Fusion.
Creativity: 23/25. You did it, you madman- you actually made an Equip Spell. Not only that . . . it's good. Really good. Solid for your first turn, or if you accidentally dumped a few too many Reptiles by the late game . . . and correct me if I'm wrong on this, but this is the first time I've ever seen a Field Spell grant two different boosts to ATK and DEF. Also, Ignition having different effects depending on what you discard is kinda cool. Unfortunately . . . the Field Spell doesn't do anything innovative beyond that split boost, because while that equip-from-Deck thing is fun, it's not like you aren't already running the most consistent show in the West.
Balance: 19/20. Everything dies what it needs to, but the one docked point is because it's almost too balanced- trust me, I like your setup, but you're not doing much to capitalize on it yet.
Interactivity: 18/20. You've got some neat tech options, and since you'll probably splash a Level 1 Tuner to make your plays with, you do have the option of Power Tool Dragon now to shuffle Jewel for shenanigans. Nothing really noteworthy, though.
OCG: 9/10
Select and activate. Don't forget the select. -1

91/100 A-

.Belle
Literacy: 25/25. Again, this is a "everyone has a perfect score unless they screw up" category.
Creativity: 22/25. Maybe it's just me, but something about this support lineup seems familiar. Oh yeah, your first card is literally a more restricted Charge of the Light Brigade with a GY effect. That said, a Quick-Play Spell that equips to something is very new, and Sanctuary is an amazing Field Spell.
Balance: 18/20. A costless My Body that searches other copies of itself is sweet, a Field Spell version of Emeral is really good . . . I'm honestly only worried that this support will be too good. Again, it seems I have another grade that I may have to revise depending on how Phase 4 works out for you.
Interactivity: 18/20. It almost seems like you're trying to create a Hell Stinger/Salamander hybrid Deck with so much solid Graveyard dumping, and that is just spooky. Still, you've got quite a few sweet options here, and I can't in good conscience dock you too hard.
OCG: 10/10. No errors yet.

93/100 A-

Reptilious
Literacy: 25/25. Nothing to say.
Creativity: 25/25. You had my interest, but now you have my attention. You're really pushing this focus on the grind game, and I like it. I wasn't expecting a heavy banish theme, but it works out for the way you handled the prompt. It's honestly commendable how you managed to turn even a restrictive prompt into something that I hadn't expected at all.
Balance: 17/20. Again, this over balancing thing. Everyone is either going too far or not far enough, and it's honestly a little weird. In this case, literally none of your solid backrow is searchable, so you'll often wind up without access to the one you need.
Interactivity: 17/20. The problem here isn't a bad interaction, it's the fact that there's nothing to interact with. It's just unfortunate, but I must commend you on trying to prevent anything ridiculous from happening.
OCG: 5/10
Immolative Genesis isn't a FIRE monster, so "other" is kinda silly -1
"As the shuffled monster" is necessary on Burning Soul of the Forest -1
"Points of" is redundant -1
"At a time" is unnecessary. -1
Show some consistency with "Quick-Play" -1

89/100 B+

Eshai
Literacy: 25/25. Yaay the power of reading, Reading friggin' Rainbow.
Creativity: 23/25. I mean, it's fine, it's just that you're not doing anything particularly unexpected or innovative, just rehashing some admittedly niche card design. Well, besides turning the prompt's Miracle Fusion into a better Miracle Contact, which I didn't see coming, and Lavaspring changing the original ATK of monsters.
Balance: 17/20. I know that you're supposed to protect the Field Spell with one of the Unions, but a clause that lets your Field protect itself with Equips should come with some Equips in the archetype, if only to have additional options to protect your setup cards. Also, two of your three Spells mill and actively hurt the archetype! Still, it's not outright bad support, so here you go.
Interactivity:18/20. Again, it's not that you're broken, it's just that your cards are so niche that you can't use many outside tech cards, and that's just a shame.
OCG: 9/10
That clause should be You can only activate 1 "Salamander Slag" per turn . -1

92/100 A-
Yeah, I favor Spellcaster and Dragon monsters. Yeah, this comes from seeing so many awesome ones in the early "Yu-Gi-Oh!" anime. Does that invite a problem?
I'm also on DeviantART

The FIRE Attribute!

BatMed

BatMed

love me 💕 like you

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

BatMed
Literacy: 22/25. You forgot to make a Miracle Fusion.

cause I was planning to make a contact Fusion boss monster xP

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• AGM Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts
All grades posted!
I'm also on DeviantART

The FIRE Attribute!

Eshai

Eshai

I'm the Guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

I mean you can still make a Miracle Fusion. I'm also doing Contact Fusion and I made something like that too.

Archetypes I'm proud of (newest to oldest)

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• AGM Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts

I mean you can still make a Miracle Fusion. I'm also doing Contact Fusion and I made something like that too.

Like Eshai said, there's also the ever-popular "optional Contact Fusion", along the lines of Beast-Eyes, where you can use Fusion Spells and Contact Fusion. It's considerably more common in the AGM
I'm also on DeviantART

The FIRE Attribute!

Reptilious

Reptilious

• VIP
  • 482 posts

One day I'll learn how to OCG real good

also reserving this post for T R A P S

EDIT

Traps!

contest thingy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users