[Finished]AGM Archetype Design Contest #2! (Extra Deck Phase)

Draconus297

Hello and welcome to a one-time deal: Two AGM Archetype Design Challenges back-to-back! The next one won't be until December, so make this one count!

So, the way this works is that you will create an archetype in four distinct "phases", that will each last a week: the Main Deck Monster Phase stops accepting submissions 2017/08/08, and will be graded 2017/08/11. The Spell Phase ends for submissions 2017/08/15, and will be graded 2017/08/18. The Trap Phase ends 2017/08/22, and will probably be graded on the 25th, but given that that day is my birthday I may not be finished until the 26th. The ED Phase (because this prompt calls for Synchro Fusion specifically) ends 2017/08/29, and final grades and prizes will be allocated on September 1st.

The prompt in question, which you will all be designing for, is the following:

Salamander

FIRE Reptile-Type and Fairy-Type monsters with a combination gimmick similar to Gusto or Dragunity: The Reptiles are Union Tuners that can be used as Synchro Material while they're equipped to monsters, and the non-Tuner Fairies generally have consistency-based effects (searching, SSing, recovery, etc). Their primary pastime is Synchro Fusion, with their regular Synchros having solid effects that, naturally, they give both of to their respective Fusions. That said, if you're feeling particularly bold, they can Synchro ladder with increasingly restricted Materials, up to a double-Tuning boss that requires 2 Tuners and 1 Synchro of the archetype as its Materials, and accepting no substitutes. As for what they do with all of this . . . they get advantage, and often can inflict hefty amounts of burn damage, when there are less cards in their Graveyard than the opponent's- which is why they have an archetypal Miracle Fusion and quite a few cards based around stuffing their monsters back into the Deck.

My rubric allocates 100 total points per round: 25 for Literacy (understanding of the prompt as-written), 25 for Creativity (doing things that are fun, interesting, and/or unexpected), 20 for Balance (ignoring outside support, is it UP/OP?), 20 for Interactivity (does outside support break your archetype? Because this is a FIRE prompt, be careful with who you can and cannot Rekindle), and 10 for OCG (maximum 10 points, every mistake is minus 1 point if it's a minor error, 2 if it's a major error).

I am the one and only judge this time, which means that you can and will be graded rather . . . harshly.

Anyway, the entry fee is 100 Points per person. 1st place gets a choice between AGM membership and 2/3 of the pot, 2nd place gets the thing 1st place didn't want, and 3rd place gets the last third of the pot.

You all have until midnight PST Tuesday, August 29th to make a minimum of 2 Fusions and 3 Synchros for the "Salamander" archetype above, and as a hint, you'll probably want to consider how to use each part cooperatively.

[spoiler= Pot]

25700 Points

[spoiler=Participants and Grades]

Reptilious (354/400 - 88.5%)

Eshai (372/400 - 93%)

Aman Indra (0/400)

CatmanDaGamer (240/400 - 60%)

.Belle (373.5/400 - 93.375%)

BatMed (367/400 - 91.75%)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, and I want everyone to be aware of this before you get to work on your archetypes: Damp Den of the Fungal Serpents lets you OPT search any Reptile whose ATK and DEF add up to exactly 2900 (for example, 1500/1400) if your opponent controls the weakest monster on the field. This is one of very few direct Reptile-Type support cards we have, and it makes Reptiles in the AGM far more powerful than in the actual TCG/OCG.

Alright, then send in your 100 Points and design a minimum of 5 Main Deck monster cards for an archetype that follows the above prompt before next Tuesday, posting them here in the thread.

I've also added a secret way to get 5 bonus points from me, but I'm keeping my lips sealed on exactly what it is. Tinkerer will know, though . . . and he shouldn't be telling, either.

Would I lose points if I made the archetype "Salamand" and split the Fairies and Reptiles into Sub-archetypes? Feel like that would be more appropriate but I don't want to lose points for doing something that isn't necessary.

Thanks for the reminder. I originally thought it was Monday midnight at the start of Tuesday, but I guess that's just what School has conditioned me into thinking. I thought I could make the searching more diverse with the naming conventions, but I think I've found ways around it anyway.

squeezing this in because I doubt I'll be able to do this tomorrow

[spoiler=Reptiles]

Salamander Lizinge
FIRE
Level 3
Reptile / Union / Tuner / Effect
Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 "Salamander" Fairy-type monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. A monster equipped with this card can be used for a Synchro Summon with this face-up card as Synchro Material, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead.  If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target up to 3 "Salamander" monsters in your Graveyard; shuffle them into the Deck.
1300 / 1600

Salamander Ignither
FIRE
Level 3
Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 "Salamander" Fairy-type monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. A monster equipped with this card can be used for a Synchro Summon with this face-up card as Synchro Material, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead. During your Standby Phase, if your opponent has more cards in their Graveyard than you do: You can equip this card from your hand to a face-up "Salamander" Fairy-type monster you control.
900 / 2000

Salamander Magmoxin
FIRE
Level 3
Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 "Salamander" Fairy-type monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. A monster equipped with this card can be used for a Synchro Summon with this face-up card as Synchro Material, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead. When this card is Summoned: Shuffle up to 2 "Salamander" monsters from your Graveyard into your Deck.
1800 / 200

Salamander Flamile
FIRE
Level 3
Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 "Salamander" Fairy-type monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. A monster equipped with this card can be used for a Synchro Summon with this face-up card as Synchro Material, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead. When this card is Summoned while your opponent has more cards in their Graveyard than you do: Target 1 card in both player's Graveyard; shuffle them into the Deck.
800 / 200

[spoiler=Fairies]

Salamander Rekindler
FIRE
Level 5
Fairy / Effect
If only your opponent controls a monster while they have more cards in their Graveyard than you do, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). During either player's turn, you can discard 1 card from your hand, then target up to 2 "Salamander" monsters from your Graveyard: Shuffle them into the Deck, also draw a card for each monster shuffled into the Deck this way. You can only use this effect of "Salamander Rekindler" once per Duel.
2200 / 200

Salamander Faerfly
FIRE
Level 4
Fairy / Effect
You can pay 800 LP: Equip 1 "Salamander" Union monster from your hand to this card. Union monsters equipped to this card this way cannot be Special Summoned by their own effect.
1100 / 200

Salamander Flarie
FIRE
Level 4
Fairy / Effect
During either player's turn, you can target 1 face-up "Salamander" Union monster that is equipped to a face-up monster you control: Special Summon it. You can only use this card's effect once per turn.
1900 / 200

Salamander Pranksear
FIRE
Level 3
Fairy / Effect
When this card is Summoned, you can target 1 "Salamander" monster from your Graveyard: Shuffle it into your Deck, then activate one of the following effects based on the type of card shuffled.
• Fairy-type: Add 1 "Salamander" Reptile-type monster from your Deck to your hand.
• Reptile-type: Add 1 "Salamander" Fairy-type monster from your Deck to your hand.
1000 / 200

Salamander Ignixie
FIRE
Level 3
Fairy / Effect
During either player's turn, if your opponent has more cards in their Graveyard than you do: You can discard this card; Special Summoned monsters cannot attack this turn. If this card would be shuffled into the Deck from your Graveyard: Special Summon it instead.
100 / 200

I wasn't too sure how to word the Synchro effect for the Union monsters - hopefully I didn't mess up too badly.

[spoiler=Entry]

Salamander - Jatice the Scales

FIRE - Level 2 - Reptile/Union/Tuner/Effect - 200/200

Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 "Salamander" Fairy monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. A monster equipped with this card cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects, also if it would be destroyed, destroy this card instead. If you would Synchro Summon, or Fusion Summon a "Salamander" Fusion Monster, while this card is equipped to a monster by its own effect, you can also use it as a material for that Summon as if it was a monster you control. If this card is sent from the Spell/Trap Zone to the GY while you have less cards in your GY than your opponent's: You can draw 1 card. You can only control 1 "Salamander - Jatice the Scales"

Salamander - Honour the Banner

FIRE - Level 2 - Reptile/Union/Tuner/Effect - 100/1200

When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Salamander" Fairy monster from your hand or GY, then equip this card to it. You cannot Special Summon monsters during the turn you activate this effect, except FIRE monsters. Once per turn, except the turn this card was equipped to a monster: You can unequip this card and Special Summon it. A monster equipped with this card cannot be destroyed by card effects. If you would Synchro Summon while this card is equipped to a monster, you can also use it as a material for that Summon as if it was a monster you control. If a face-up "Salamander" Fairy monster(s) you control would be destroyed, you can banish this card from your GY instead. You can only control 1 "Salamander - Honour the Banner"

Salamander - Glorius the Sword

FIRE - Level 2 - Reptile/Union/Tuner/Effect - 1000/0

You can target 1 "Salamander" Fairy monster you control; equip this card you control or from your hand to that target. Monsters you control cannot attack during the turn you activate this effect, except FIRE monsters. During the Standby Phase: You can unequip this card and Special Summon it. A monster equipped with this card gains 1000 ATK and can make 2 attacks on monsters during each Battle Phase. If you would Synchro Summon while this card is equipped to a monster, you can also use it as a material for that Summon as if it was a monster you control. If this card is sent to the GY while it is equipped to a monster: You can inflict 1000 damage to your opponent. You can only use each effect of "Salamander - Glorius the Sword" once per turn. You can only control 1 "Salamander - Glorius the Sword".

Salamander - Mercias the Shield

FIRE - Level 7 - Reptile/Tuner/Effect - 400/2500

If this card is Summoned from the hand: Target 1 face-up monster you control; equip this card to it. A monster equipped with this card is unaffected by opponent's Spell effects and effects activated by an opponent's monster whose Level/Rank is higher than it. Also, if this card is equipped to a monster by its own effect, the equipped monster loses Level/Rank equal to this card's original Level (min. 1), also it cannot be destroyed by battle. If you would Synchro Summon or Fusion Summon a "Salamander" monster while this card is equipped to a monster, you can also use it as a material for that Summon as if it was a monster you control. You can only control 1 "Salamander - Mercias the Shield".

Salamander Sage Nuriel

FIRE - Level 4 - Fairy/Effect - 300/1900

When this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up: You can add 1 "Salamander" monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Salamander Sage Nuriel". Once per turn: You can target 1 "Salamander" Fairy monster you control, except "Salamander Sage Nuriel"; equip 1 "Salamander" Reptile monster from your hand or GY to that target.

Salamander Tactician Seraphiel

FIRE - Level 4 - Fairy/Effect - 1400/1100

You can shuffle 1 "Salamander" monster from your hand or GY into the Deck; Special Summon this card from your hand. When a card is equipped to this card: You can Special Summon 1 "Salamander" monster from your hand or GY in face-up Defense Position, except "Salamander Tactician Seraphiel". You cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of this turn, except FIRE monsters. You can only use each effect of "Salamander Tactician Seraphiel" once per turn.

Salamander Assailant Jehoel

FIRE - Level 4 - Fairy/Effect - 1600/200

If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent. If you control a "Salamander" monster: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. Then, if you have less cards in your GY than your opponent's, inflict 400 damage to your opponent for each "Salamander" card you control. When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent, you can either: Add 1 "Salamander" card from your Deck to your hand, except "Salamander Assailant Jehoel", OR: Inflict 800 damage to your opponent. You can only use each effect of "Salamander Assailant Jehoel" once per turn.

Note

Based on the actual ruling vs. Relinquished, the union monsters' "A monster equipped with this card..." effects as well as Jatice's destruction substitute effects won't be applied if they're not properly equipped through their own effects (e.g. Relinquished, Nuriel) However, their unequipping effects and an effect that allow them to be used as a material can still be activated/applied as they don't affect the equipped monster.

This was harder than I thought

[spoiler=Main Deck Monsters]

[spoiler=Reptiles]

dWMRAWQ.pngd8nvjDz.pngBUIusn4.png

Salamander Salamanar
Once per turn, you can either: Equip this card to 1 FIRE Fairy monster you control, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. You can only use each of these effects of "Salamander Salamanar" once per turn.
● If this card is equipped to a monster by a "Salamander" card effect, except during your Battle Phase (Quick Effect): You can Synchro Summon a "Salamander" Synchro Monster using this card and the equipped monster as Materials.
● If this card is sent from the field to the GY: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; it has its effects negated until the End Phase.

Salamander Salamanitch
Once per turn, you can either: Equip this card to 1 FIRE Fairy monster you control, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. You can only use each of these effects of "Salamander Salamanitch" once per turn.
● If this card is equipped to a monster by a "Salamander" card effect, except during your Battle Phase (Quick Effect): You can Synchro Summon a "Salamander" Synchro Monster using this card and the equipped monster as Materials.
● If this card is sent from the field to the GY: FIRE monsters you control gains 400 ATK, also, until the End Phase, FIRE monsters you control cannot be destroyed by card effects.

Salamander Salamanrag
Once per turn, you can either: Equip this card to 1 FIRE Fairy monster you control, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. You can only use each of these effects of "Salamander Salamanrag" once per turn.
● If this card is equipped to a monster by a "Salamander" card effect, except during your Battle Phase (Quick Effect): You can Synchro Summon a "Salamander" Synchro Monster using this card and the equipped monster as Materials.
● If this card is sent from the field to the GY: You can target 1 "Salamander" card in your GY or that is banished; add that target to your hand.

[spoiler=Fairies]

KpUqoef.pngxRzJQCO.pngazhXj8N.png

Salamanderial of Grace

If you control exactly 1 "Salamander" monster, and no other monsters, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). You can only Special Summon "Salamanderial of Grace" once per turn this way. If an equip card is equipped to a "Salamander" monster you control: You can take 1 "Salamander" monster from your Deck, and either add it to your hand or send it to the GY. You can only use this effect of "Salamanderial of Grace" once per turn.

Salamanderian of Might

If an equip card is equipped to a "Salamander" monster you control, while this card is in your hand or GY: You can Special Summon this card, but banish it when it leaves the field. If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can pay 800 LP and target 1 "Salamander" Reptile monster in your hand or GY; Special Summon that target. You can only use each effect of "Salamanderian of Might" once per turn.

Salamanderal of Blazes

You can discard this card; add 1 "Salamander" Spell/Trap from your Deck to your hand. If a "Salamander" card is equipped to this card: You can discard 1 card; Special Summon 1 "Salamander" Fairy monster from your Deck, except "Salamanderal of Blazes". You can only use this effect of "Salamanderal of Blazes" once per turn.

“Based on the actual ruling vs. Relinquished, the union monsters' "A monster equipped with this card..." effects as well as Jatice's destruction substitute effects won't be applied if they're not properly equipped through their own effects (e.g. Relinquished, Nuriel) However, their detaching effects and an effect that allow them to be used as a material can still be activated/applied as they don't affect the equipped monster.” - .Belle

I don't know if that was intentional but Delta Tri can equip Union monsters from the GY to it and it gets the Union effect, can’t it? I think it has to do with the “appropriate” clause, so that’s what I’m using to justify that my cards can get their equips despite not equipping the typical way. Upon further research Union Hanger also does this. Weird that I remembered Delta Tri before Union Hanger.

Whatever here's my entry, along with design notes as if I reviewed each card and Proofs from Yugioh.Wikia for some of the wordings:

[spoiler: Fairies]

Salamander Fay

FIRE | Level 4 | Fairy/Effect | 1800 ATK/200 DEF

You can target 1 monster you control (Quick Effect): Equip 1 appropriate “Salamander” Union monster from your hand to that target. It cannot be used as a Material for the Special Summon of a monster, except Synchro monsters. While this card is in your GY: You can return this card and 1 Reptile “Salamander” monster from your GY to add 1 Fairy “Salamander” monster from your Deck to your hand.

Salamander Sylph

FIRE | Level 4 | Fairy/Effect | 1600 ATK/1200 DEF

If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can equip 1 appropriate “Salamander” Union monster from your Deck to this card. It is banished when it leaves the field, and cannot be used as a Material for the Special Summon of a monster, except "Salamander" Synchro monsters. While this card is in your GY: You can return this card and 1 Reptile “Salamander” monster from your GY to your Deck to draw 1 card.

Salamander Nymph

FIRE | Level 3 | Fairy/Effect | 1200 ATK/1900 DEF

While you control a “Salamander” monster with 2000 or more ATK, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). Once per turn, you can target 1 appropriate “Salamander” Union monster in your GY: Equip it to this card. It cannot be used as a Material for the Special Summon of a monster, except Synchro monsters. While this card is in your GY: You can return this card and 1 Reptile “Salamander” monster from your GY to banish up to 2 cards in either player’s GY.

[spoiler: Fairies with Design Notes]

Salamander Fay

FIRE | Level 4 | Fairy/Effect | 1800 ATK/200 DEF

Once per turn. you can target 1 monster you control (Quick Effect): Equip 1 appropriate “Salamander” Union monster from your hand to that target. It cannot be used as a Material for the Special Summon of a monster, except Synchro monsters. While this card is in your GY: You can return this card and 1 Reptile “Salamander” monster from your GY to add 1 Fairy “Salamander” monster with a different name from your Deck to your hand.

Wanted to make the ATK boosts on the Reptiles and the typical hand equip to be a bit more interesting, so I made it a Quick Effect, turning your Reptiles into hand traps. This means you can use it during your opponent's turn to destroy your opponent's monsters or protect your own. The GY effect is based on the replenishing idea, but I figure the GY is typically a useful thing to have monsters in so I added a search whereas the card would usually not be able to be used for card advantage.

Salamander Sylph

FIRE | Level 4 | Fairy/Effect | 1600 ATK/1200 DEF

If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can equip 1 appropriate “Salamander” Union monster from your Deck to this card. It is banished when it leaves the field, and cannot be used as a Material for the Special Summon of a monster, except "Salamander" Synchro monsters. While this card is in your GY: You can return this card and 1 Reptile “Salamander” monster from your GY to your Deck to draw 1 card. You can only use each effect of this card's name once per turn.

So the banishing may be harsh, but it's helpful for the fact it decreases your potential GY size. It also means that you can't use the GY effect on turn 1 when you immediately 1 card Synchro Summon. Also, this is the only one of the fairies that will specify that it must use for an archetype Synchro, since I figured their were a lot of exploits that could be accomplised too easily. Creating a 1 card Black Rose was definitely not my intentions.

Salamander Nymph

FIRE | Level 3 | Fairy/Effect | 1200 ATK/1900 DEF

While you control a “Salamander” monster with 2000 or more ATK, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). Once per turn, you can target 1 appropriate “Salamander” Union monster in your GY: Equip it to this card. It cannot be used as a Material for the Special Summon of a monster, except Synchro monsters. While this card is in your GY: You can return this card and 1 Reptile “Salamander” monster from your GY to banish up to 2 cards in either player’s GY.

The Special Summon mechanic was in response to the lack of Special Summoning, so I wanted to speed the deck up. This requirement can be met by having one of the other Fairies equip to any of the Salamander Unions except for the Level 4. I made this a Level 3 as a snap decision to allow for level 4 Synchros, since not having any other level 3 non-Tuner monsters would've restricted me to Level 5 and higher, and in turn mean I couldn't use Crystron Quondam (gotta love that card)

You may have noticed that none of these cards mention using equip Unions as Synchro materials. Technically, Union monsters are treated as Equip Spells while equipped to a monster, which means they can't have levels unless you're wording them weird. I chose to make something mechanically the same thing, far less restricted, and much easier to word, which was Equipping without using the Reptile's effects, which means you can unequip them the same turn you equip them so that you can go into a Synchro Summon with the non-Tuner. Thought that was smart.

The "It cannot be used as a Material for the Special Summon of a monster" has been something I've been toying with. It's essentially "cannot use this card for the Fusion, Xyz, or Link Summon of a monster" which is fine, it's just that whenever some other mechanic comes out I don't want to break the entire intention of the wording. Dimensional Barrier now suffers from the lack of this wording, so I figured cards I create shouldn't be ruined by such an absurd problem with such an easy solution.

[spoiler: Reptiles]

Tadentinder Salamander (Tadpole + Tinder)

FIRE | Level 1 | Reptile/Union/Tuner/Effect | 200 ATK/700 DEF

Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 FIRE monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. A monster equipped with this card gains 300 ATK/DEF and if the monster equipped to this card battles a monster, after damage calculations: Shuffle that monster into the Deck, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead. During your Standby Phase, if you control no monsters or only FIRE monsters: You can return 1 “Salamander” monster from your GY to your Deck, and if you do, you can Special Summon this card. You can only use this effect of this card’s name once per turn.

Infernewt Salamander (Inferno + Newt)

FIRE | Level 2 | Reptile/Union/Tuner/Effect | 1100 ATK/400 DEF

Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 FIRE monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. A monster equipped with this card gains 400 ATK and if that monster inflicts damage to your opponent: You can target 1 card on the field; shuffle that card into the Deck, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead.

Flamphibian Salamander (Flame + Amphibian)

FIRE | Level 3 | Reptile/Union/Tuner/Effect | 1700 ATK/200 DEF

Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 “Salamander” monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. A monster equipped with this card gains 1000 ATK, but its battle position cannot be changed, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead.

Pyrebelly Salamander

FIRE | Level 4 | Reptile/Union/Tuner/Effect | 900 ATK/2000 DEF

Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 FIRE monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. A monster equipped with this card gains 700 DEF and cannot be targeted by card effects, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead. You can Tribute this card: Special Summon 1 Fairy “Salamander” monster from your Deck.

[spoiler: Reptiles with Design Notes]

Tadentinder Salamander (Tadpole + Tinder)

FIRE | Level 1 | Reptile/Union/Tuner/Effect | 200 ATK/700 DEF

Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 FIRE monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. A monster equipped with this card gains 300 ATK/DEF and if the monster equipped to this card battles a monster, after damage calculations: Shuffle that monster into the Deck, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead. During your Standby Phase, if you control no monsters or only FIRE monsters: You can return 1 “Salamander” monster from your GY to your Deck, and if you do, you can Special Summon this card, but its effects are negated until the end of the turn. You can only use this effect of this card’s name once per turn.

This is kind of situational removal. Sure, it shuffles cards to the deck, but it requires an attack and possibly even itself if you don't have anything. This is meant to be used with Fay, which can Quick Play this and screw over an attacking monster. However, the ATK/DEF boost is low, so if you don't prevail in that battle they caused, it'll probably be destroyed. It also has negative synergy with the archetype, returning a card that would usually be sent to the GY to the Deck and then sending this to the GY is technically a 2 card difference than it should be, so in the early game when there aren't as many cards in the GY (unless your opponent just doesn't care and uses Lawnmowing) it may have a big impact on your Archetype Synchros.

Also, Treeborn esc effect is just supposed to continue your plays. While it doesn't get its effect, I'd rather not give you the ability to get infinite removal as a side effect of wanting to give the Deck some recovery. It also means that you're going to have to choose on some occasions whether you want fewer cards in your GY or if you want it next turn.

Infernewt Salamander (Inferno + Newt)

FIRE | Level 2 | Reptile/Union/Tuner/Effect | 1100 ATK/400 DEF

Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 FIRE monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. A monster equipped with this card gains 400 ATK, and if that monster inflicts damage to your opponent: You can target 1 card on the field or in either player's GY; shuffle that card into the Deck, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead.

Similar, but different. While it isn't as straight forward as Tadentinder, it can do some serious harm. I'm going to mention Fay again here since if your opponent is stupid they could just lose a card by being stupid at times. It can also return 1 from your GY to your Deck if that's really worth it, so that's nice.

Flamphibian Salamander (Flame + Amphibian)

FIRE | Level 3 | Reptile/Union/Tuner/Effect | 1700 ATK/200 DEF

Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 “Salamander” monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. A monster equipped with this card gains 1000 ATK, but its battle position cannot be changed, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead.

This is weird but it's this way for a reason. This is the only one with a relatively large ATK stat. Fay can use it, but it's made especially for the Synchros. The battle position switch cancellation means that your monster can't be flipped face-down, resulting in the dropping of all of your Union monsters. I love Equip Decks, but there's nothing worse than a Quaking Mirror Force or a Book of Moon. 1 card should never do that much to a Deck without an ability to counteract it.

Pyrebelly Salamander

FIRE | Level 4 | Reptile/Union/Tuner/Effect | 900 ATK/2000 DEF

Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 FIRE monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. A monster equipped with this card gains 800 DEF and cannot be targeted by card effects, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead. You can Tribute this card: Special Summon 1 Fairy “Salamander” monster from your Deck. This effect of "Pyrebelly Salamander" can only be used once per turn.

So this is your protection. Most would have some "can't be destroyed by battle" or "can't be destroyed by card effects" but I'd rather leave that to the union clause. This is just simple target protection along with 800 DEF that you're probably thinking you won't use. That'll come later with the Extra Deck stuff. You can also Tribute itself to Special Summon 1 of the Fairies. I figured this would be useful since most of these cards were dead without a Fairy in hand, so 12/40 seemed a bit better than 9/40. I did make this once per turn since you could get consequtive Pyrebellies and get all sorts of advantage. Maybe this shouldn't have changed, but I rather you not be able to Summon 3 Quasar with this archetype (as fun as that would be.)

[spoiler: Proofs]

Card_Rulings: Delta Tri

Union_Hangar (for the most recent wording that allows for Union Effects without your typical Union Equipping)

Torque_Tune_Gear (one and only card that confirms Union sub-type is in front of Tuner.)

A-Assault_Core (up to date wording on Union Monsters)

I'm looking at the rest of the posts. I thought most of our stuff was going to be the same like Aman Indra said but WOW was I wrong. 

.Belle has a level 7 Tuner, and then made some crazy effects for the unions like how Sword gives 1000 ATK and an additional attack.

Reptillious went the more deck replenishing route, and then has Ignixie (what a great name), and then Pranksear which has a more late game search effect.

Batmed went and drew EVERY SINGLE CARD. I mean really, Grace looks like something from an anime tale of epic proportions. He also didn't end up giving any of the Unions typical Equip effects, but rather gave them all the ability to Synchro during the Battle Phase. 

Although we did take the idea of the Fungal Serpent support in a similar way. Add 1 Reptile with the stat line or none at all.

I don't know if that was intentional but Delta Tri can equip Union monsters from the GY to it and it gets the Union effect, can’t it? I think it has to do with the “appropriate” clause, so that’s what I’m using to justify that my cards can get their equips despite not equipping the typical way. Upon further research Union Hanger also does this. Weird that I remembered Delta Tri before Union Hanger.

Exactly. I just wanted to clarify that monster that equip stuff (without appropriate clause) won't get the effects of Union monsters that affect their equipped monsters, which actually matters balance-wise.

Archived