[AGM] My first Archetype for AGM: Matadors [Written] [11/12]

Eshai

So this Matadors. The goal of this deck is to emulate actual bull fighting and adapt an idea from the Archetype Game (Credit for the name goes to Sakura, credit to Nyx Avatar for the original concept.

The idea was originally DARK Warrior monsters that would block attacks and Special Summon similarly to Six Samurai. I really only kept the name, the attribute, and the blocking attacks idea. They Special Summon easy like with Six Sams, but not in the same way. I also divided them into Machines and Beasts, being backward of the typical party game of riding a mechanical bull.

I'm not really the type to "adapt" an idea without REALLY stretching it. So unless it's for the better of the archetype I'm probably not going to keep that particular part of the archetype.

EDIT: The Beasts have been changed, not nerfed. I found some better ways of solving the problems of obnoxiousness by making it so the Matador Fighters have to attack first rather than that they stop all of your other monsters from attacking. This way your opponent has the choice of taking whatever penalties they're getting or end the Battle Phase to get rid of them. Also, all of the Sangan effects that the Beasts once had now have LP payments to compensate for the fact you aren't supposed to be taking much damage. Bigbeef, in particular, has been nerfed to 2000 ATK, while it's effect has been changed to reduce its splashability into other decks.

There have also been some minor changes here and there as well, but that sums up 90% of it. I'm looking to change it a bit more so it isn't as consistent as it is right now, but otherwise I like it where it is.

So here are the cards:

[spoiler=Monsters: 6]

Maryland the Matador

DARK | Level 4 | Machine/Effect | 1600/800

If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 Beast “Matador” monster from your Deck to your opponent’s side of the field. You can only use the effect of this card’s name once per turn. Your opponent cannot target another “Matador” monster you control as an attack target or for card effects.

A -1 for the moment but a +1 when the monster you Summoned is destroyed. Fair.

Manuel the Matador

DARK | Level 4 | Machine/Effect | 1200/1500

During the Battle Phase (Quick Effect): You can Special Summon 1 Beast “Matador” from your hand to either player’s side of the field in Attack Position. Then, you can add 1 Machine “Matador” monster from your deck to your hand. You can only activate the effect of this card’s name once per turn. Your opponent cannot target another “Matador” monster you control for battle or card effects.

+1 and a Special Summon, or a +2 if you Summon it to your opponent’s side of the field and then destroy it. Although this is limited to the Battle Phase so you won’t be able to just instantly Xyz Summon without the proper cards. You also can’t keep Special Summoning Beasts each turn, so it’s not as good as people would want it.

Cappella the Matador

DARK | Level 4 | Machine/Effect | 0/2000

If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Switch this card to Defense Position. During your opponent’s Battle Phase (Quick Effect): You can Special Summon 1 Beast “Matador” from your GY to your opponent’s side of the field in Attack Position, and if you do: You can Special Summon 1 Machine “Matador” monster from your GY. You cannot activate this effect of this card’s name until the start of your next turn. Your opponent cannot target another “Matador” monster you control for battle or card effects.

Shallow Grave but face-up and from only your GY. Technically a +0, but if you destroy the monster you Summoned it’s a +2. Conditional Quest advantage seems like the game here. Ties could probably make this deck broken, but then again that stops you from Special Summoning thereafter.

Matador Fighter Bigbeef

DARK | Level 4 | Beast/Effect | 2000/0

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) to either player’s side of the field in Attack Position by Tributing 1 Beast “Matador” monster on the field. This card must be the first monster attack, if able. At the end of the Battle Phase, if this card did not destroy an opponent's monster by battle: Destroy this card. If this card is sent from the field to your GY: You can pay 1000 LP; add 1 “Matador” monster from your Deck to your hand.

Matador Fighter. As in Bull Fighter Fighter. 2000 ATK with the conditions is annoying to splash in. Originally it had 2200 ATK and destroyed a card when it was sent from the field to your GY. This is definitely a much more balanced version without hindering the gameplay of the Deck itself. Much less annoying to deal with.

Matador Fighter Blackjack

DARK | Level 3 | Beast/Effect | 1500/0

This card cannot attack directly. This card must be the first monster to attack, if able. At the end of the Battle Phase, if this card did not attack: Destroy this card. If this card is sent from the field to your GY: You can pay 1000 LP; add 1 “Matador” Spell/Trap from your deck to your hand.

So if you control no monsters at the start of the Battle Phase, your opponent cannot attack. If your opponent controls 2 or more “Matador” monsters, they cannot attack. LP payment also decreases your LP so that your opponent still has a chance if they can’t attack. Honestly, this deck crumbles from card effect destruction like Raigeki so I’ll have to put something in here.

Matador Fighter Oxenfree

DARK | Level 2 | Beast/Effect | 800/0

This card cannot be destroyed by battle. This card must attack before all other monsters you control, except “Matador” monsters. At the end of the Battle Phase, If this card did not attack: Destroy this card. If this card is sent from the field to your GY: You can pay 1000 LP; add 1 “Matador” card from GY to your hand.

The name is pretty fun, as it means something of a children’s game. It literally means child's play and I love it for that. This rather does damage to your opponent, or stops their Battle Phase and recovers you a card. It can also be set in Defense for a turn’s worth of protection, but then again Blue Eyes CHAOS MAX exists so maybe not.

[spoiler=Xyz Monsters: 2]

Matador Union - Taurus Titanium

DARK | Rank 4 | Beast-Warrior/Effect | 2600/0 | 2 Level 4 “Matador” monsters

This card cannot attack directly. This card must attack all monsters your opponent controls, if able. If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing damage. Each time this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle, gain 200 ATK. At the end of your Battle Phase, if this card did not destroy a monster by battle, detach 2 Xyz Material or destroy this card.

Bit beefy one might say. This card takes the Beast’s effects and puts it on steroids. It must attack ALL monsters with the addition of piercing and a permanent attack boost. If your opponent decides to play nothing or play monsters that can’t be destroyed by battle, they can. However, if your opponent manages to stop it from attacking, it does have its disadvantages.

Matador Union - Cappella Condor

DARK | Rank 4 | Beast-Warrior/Effect | 0/2600 | 2 Level 4 DARK monsters

Your opponent cannot target another “Matador” monster you control for battle or card effects. If a “Matador” monster(s) would be destroyed, you can detach 1 Xyz Material instead. At the end of your opponent’s Battle Phase, if this card did not battle an opponent’s monster: Attach 1 “Matador” card from your GY to this card as a Xyz Material. While this card has no Xyz Materials, its effects are negated.

After several Edits, this is what has become of the card. This used to be a bit more creative, but tbh the deck didn’t really need negation, especially on a card like this. It has a lot of protection for the archetype, as well as protection even for the monsters you’ve given to your opponent (if you really needed it). It can also stop Taurus from destroying itself by detaching, which is a nice touch.

[spoiler=Spell/Traps: 4]

Ring of the Matadors

Field Spell

While your opponent controls a “Matador” monster, all monsters your opponent controls must attack, if able. Also, at the end of the Battle Phase: Destroy all face-up Attack Position monsters the turn player controls, that did not declare an attack. Each time a ”Matador” monster destroys a monster by battle: Place 1 Counter on this card. All “Matador” monsters on the field gain 200 ATK and DEF for each Counter on this card.

So the Matador v Matador stats don't change, but it essentially makes it harder for your opponent’s cards to stay in the game. It’s also Savage Colosseum if your opponent controls a Matador monster, but if you control 2 Machines, they can’t attack and all their monsters are screwed.

They could also just Dark Hole or Raigeki though, so I wouldn’t keep your hopes up.

Brave the Matador!

Quick-Play Spell

During the Main Phase 1: Special Summon 2 Beast “Matador” monsters with different names from your Deck to your opponent’s side of the field. Your opponent cannot Tribute them or use them as Materials in the Special Summon of a monster. You can only activate “Brave the Matador!” once per turn.

I was debating on this or “Slay the Beef!” but that wouldn’t have been archetype specific. The “use them as Materials in the Special Summon of a monster” hasn’t actually been used, but it gets around any Extra Deck Summoning your opponent might attempt at. Felt that was necessary. This is not OPT because of the fact that each of the Beasts can only be Special Summoned OPT.

Union of the Matadors

Normal Trap

Xyz Summon 1 Beast-Warrior Xyz Monster using “Matador” monsters from anywhere on the field as Xyz Materials. You can banish this card from your GY, except the turn it was sent there (Quick Effect): Increase the ATK and DEF of all “Matador” monsters on the field by 1000. 

You can use your opponent’s Matadors as Xyz Materials. While you can’t get their “when this card is sent from the field to the GY” effects, it’s also just a nice effect to have. Also, the last effect is meant to again, make it harder for your opponent’s monsters to participate. This might become a Quick-Play if it isn't good enough, but I think it is.

Trade of the Matadors

Normal Trap

Target 1 monster your opponent controls: Special Summon 1 "Matador" monster from your hand to your opponent's side of the field, and if you do, take control of that monster. You can banish this card from your GY, except the turn it was sent there: You can target 1 monster you control and 1 "Matador" monster your opponent controls: Switch control of those monsters with each other. It cannot change its battle positions for the rest of the turn.

I Thought this was clever, and I needed another Trap soooo, I made this as the last card for the archetype. It's not great since it's a -1, but it's a trap that can get a hold of your opponent's monsters if they're too hard to get over. However, this is a Trap card that can also do another switch to get back your Matadors if you need them for an Xyz Summon. Despite being the only card in the archetype that can Summon the Beasts in Defense Position, I don't think placing the Beasts into Defense Position during your opponent's turn will stop them from attacking because of the "if able" clause, so that's not going to be exploited.

The goal of the archetype is to take their more situational advantage off of Special Summoning several monsters to the opponent side of the field to eventually get out you Xyz monsters and swing for game. I also made the Xyz Beast-Warriors so that Horn of the Phantom Beasts might be able to see play in the deck. That would be cool.

Hope you liked it, but I'd rather you tell me if you don't like it so I can improve the archetype.

Some of your design choices are a little weird, from the perspective of the AGM- we don't have Horn of the Phantom Beast, and we're in a Legacy (Arc-V rules, no Links or other new Summoning mechanics will be added so that we can work on balancing the existing ones) format so the "can't be used as Material" clause is basically just a way to shorten "Cannot be used as Fusion, Synchro, or Xyz Material".

Anyway, moving on to actual critique of the archetype so I don't have Sakura going "Advanced Clause, do you know it?" . . .

It's mostly the Beasts I have a problem with. While the Machines set up a basic battle/targeting effects lock, we still have a good few boardwipes in the AGM, and Disasterman has that ruling where an attack conducted through its effect is non-targeting (long story), so they're just an interesting anti-meta choice.

Bigbeef, to start with, Malefic-locks your opponent's field, where it will proceed to likely commit suicide if you're playing the Deck properly at all, where it will blow up at the end of your opponent's turn and kill off one of your opponent's resources. Now this, in itself, is a bit of a jerk move, but it gets even worse- there's nothing limiting it to being used only in Matadors. It can be given to your opponent with Exchange Papers, forfeiting your Normal Summon (one of them, anyway, if you're playing Chthonian or Wilonka) for a Pot of Greed, and then you can go about your merry way by Setting Negate Attack, Summoning a bigger stick, running monsters who can't be killed in battle, or any other way of keeping your opponent from killing your stuff, as what amounts to a convoluted +3. Yeah . . . no. Just . . . slap a condition on it that makes it less splashable, because there are an unfortunate number of ways to keep your opponent out of the ED for a while in the AGM, notably Tragedy in the Sakura Grove.

The other Beasts still put your opponent in a Malefic lock, and that's just not fun card design. Pop a few Counter Traps in the backrow, now you're playing Solitaire in Yu-Gi-Oh.

I don't even know how to fix the archetype at this point, because you made it center around making your opponent frustrated . . . instead of giving the prompt what it asked for plus a unique take, you just sorta did your own thing that vaguely related to the prompt given. So . . . *shrug*.

OK so the numbers are based on the block text responses:

1. Yeah it's just for shortening. It also works for Link monsters if that ends up happening.

2. I'd what Disasterman is, but I guess it's fine.

3. Originally Bigbeef was a searcher, but when I wanted to lower the consistency a bit I just said "destroy 1 card on the field. That is kinda annoying now I think about it. I'll probably add a "cannot be Normal Summoned/Set" and give it a different ability.

3b. I just looked at Exchange Papers yesterday. That is pretty broken. Again, I'll have to nerf it a bit and maybe take that card into consideration when I'm editing the beasts. Maybe I'll add a "Must first be Special Summoned by tributing 1 "Matador" monster from anywhere on the field to either player's side of the field" or something like that.

4. Well, yeah that is annoying. I'm going to have to change that to something else. Originally that was why I didn't force it to attack. Players could also use it for Synchro Summons, but that's assuming they have them. I really just wanted to make the card a Negate Attack that you could Summon, with some exploits to make it better, but that might be unanswerable in some cases.

5. It was meant to stop attacking, but I can fix some of the problems. This was done in 2-3 hours.

I also forgot to add OPT and "with a different name" effects, so that might also help.

EDIT: Edits have been done to make the archetype less annoying and a bit fairer, but I'd like to do something about the amount of consistency they have since Exchange Papers might put this deck over the edge but I'd rather they be able to run it than not.

Archived