Japanese music are bad because the amount of syllables and language constraints prevents creativity

BLASTERZ

You ever wonder why japanesey lyrics are so cheesy? Like holy sheet if you ever read them translated its just cringey as hell. Like imma throw u some fresh examples

"The cruel angel's thesis

will soon take flight through the window,
with surging, hot pathos, [3]
if you betray your memories.
Embracing this sky [universe] and shining, [4]
young boy, become the legend!"

You see how cheesy this sheet is, like its like pretentious kids in high school writing poetry and trying to pass of as deep. I still to this day dont understand what the hell is a cruel angel thesis, and its all these vague symbolism and all that stuff. Like maybe its the fact that every word in japanese, like if our word is 1 syllable, their translated version is like 5 syllables long. Its at least counterbalanced by the fact that they have 1 CHARACTER. Like, they can dodge twitter character limits. 

"Feeling good☆Advance☆Invincibly 
Feeling good☆Advance☆Innocently 
If I go to the eastern island, I will find lots of treasure and it will be a great victory! 
Feeling good☆Advance☆Recklessly 
Feeling good☆Advance☆In a daze 
I'm happy with the best seat in the house, can't I take over the whole world like this?"

wHY ARE THERE STARS JESUS CHRIST THIS MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE is this even
"Hey hey let's go! Get in a fight

"secret remains for you, fake's plastic world 
If we expose it all, the memories will shoot the present and we'd realize"

The SEEEEEEEEEEEEKREEET REMAAAAINS 4 UUUUUUUUUUUU part was so epic, but then the japanese like when u translate it god it just sounds so lame. C'mon man

"A vague 3cm, ain't that a flexible rule? cho! (1) 
For rapping, a sailor uniform... it isn't a disadvantage, bu. 
Gotta do our best! Gotta do it! 
That's when we catch and release, gyo 
Darlin' darling FREEZE in the channel of my sweat, my sweat!!

A bit tired-- something's coming-- 
I love you-- huh, just one letter's different (2) 
You wimp-- gymnastic high bar-- 
gourmet-- enough already!

ON-BON cheer squad 
Let's get! Cherry pie 
RAN-RAN welcome party 
Look up! Sensation 
Yea! Feels like something's there.. 
an asteroid bumped into me and crumbled away, whoa! 
Sing out, squadron ranger"

"I'll protect the things that are important to me: my balls
I am to blame, so let's fighting!
Let's fighting love!
Let's fighting love!"

Now this is how you write songs! Take note JPOP

This is also a growing concern in kpop too but ill get to that another time

According to this interview, featuring japanese singer Utada Hikaru, a bicultural and multitalented recording artist. She lived in America for 14 years thus her music has a more western influence vs other jpop artist, and she records songs both in japanese and english. She has declined in popularity because americans only listen to their music and japanese only listen to the growing trend of idol moe weeaboo manchildren baits. 

In her interview, she said that the English language is much more simpler than the Japanese language, and that it is the liberty that allows her to expand on her wordplay and vocabulary more. The lack of tonal lingo and the more flexibility in the words allow her to convey emotions way more straightforward and yet meaningful, something japanese cannot let her. 

What do u guys think?

bait thread 10/10?

most songs are awkward in any language whatsoever when you translate them literally

which is why you don't do that anyways ._.

Not english songs thats for sure english gets to the point. Look at asian language they got all these tonals it affects how they make their music

And sometimes the point is to be poetic instead of direct... *facepalm*

okay you dont seem to understand the difference between good poetry and pretentiousness

the japanese lyrics are ridiculously pretentious, and overall repeats the same generic meanings of friendship and all that regurgitated crap. But moreso is also the structure of the language. Asian musicians tend to have musical lyrics that are more overly complicated because the tonal and structure of the language is more complex, making it harder for them to rhyme or create synergy with their words. When it comes to english tho its much easier. When kpop or jpop artist drop one or two english words in their song, its not only that it sounds cool but also that it just fits and rhymes with the songs more. English provided more flexibility than asian languages can

And you calling it pretentious is your opinion but eh whatever.

Because… American/English music is so much better in that regard? Same sheet about breakups, love, doing some stupid sheet, getting drunk/high/whatever, and/or girls/sex? You also seem to forget there's a lot of genres within Japanese music as well. If you seriously think that's all to it, then you're just misinformed.

Also, for anime songs, where they'd generally have similar themes, of course they'd have similar ideas in the song. Gee, I wonder why songs about breakups are… all about breakups and love and missing the other. What a surprise.

"Overly" again is in your opinion, and I'd say that's moreso due to English just being completely different from Japanese which leads you to your opinion. Also, you don't need to rhyme with every language. That's not something even cared about in Japanese for the most part. Synergy still remains in the overall lyrics.

Yeah sure it sounds unique/neat when there's occasionally English, not that it fits more particularly than just sticking to Japanese would have. Also again, rhyme is irrelevant. It's not a rhyme-kind of language, it's more melodical and about accentuations and different stressing patterns.

It's sort of unusual you say that considering Japanese is just as potentially creative as English if not more so. There's figurative in both. The reason you seem to think English does that is because there's obviously still stuff that doesn't directly translate, which is the reason they use English sometimes, or for the sharply different feel in the tone itself of the music. It's the same as if some English/American musician used Japanese to achieve the same effect that their own language can't provide.

And you calling it pretentious is your opinion but eh whatever.

Because… American/English music is so much better in that regard? Same s*** about breakups, love, doing some stupid s***, getting drunk/high/whatever, and/or girls/sex? You also seem to forget there's a lot of genres within Japanese music as well. If you seriously think that's all to it, then you're just misinformed.

One it is pretentious, thats a fact, and two american music sure has many songs thats talk about the same typical sheet like drugs thotties, breakups, and all that. The difference however, the artist dont try to act as if their work is a masterful art. That's only like hipsters. Also the fact that western music consists of majorly of these themes shows to the eastern world that we as a country represent democracy and liberty, and through this we are allowed to write songs about whatever topics we like, whereelse songs about getting rich or getting thots would be immidiately censored by the board of censorship of many asian countries. asian countries sing the same sheet with different words and lyricism, because they are censored by traditionalism whereelse westerners are granted more freedom. I love this value that we possess.

Yeah sure it sounds unique/neat when there's occasionally English, not that it fits more particularly than just sticking to Japanese would have. Also again, rhyme is irrelevant. It's not a rhyme-kind of language, it's more melodical and about accentuations and different stressing patterns.

It's sort of unusual you say that considering Japanese is just as potentially creative as English if not more so. There's figurative in both. The reason you seem to think English does that is because there's obviously still stuff that doesn't directly translate, which is the reason they use English sometimes, or for the sharply different feel in the tone itself of the music. It's the same as if some English/American musician used Japanese to achieve the same effect that their own language can't provide.

rhyme isnt about just words connecting together, but also the structure of the sentences. The fact that every word in japanese ends in a vowel, like that means rap is pretty easy but its not because they must also coherently build a good structure and string it together. When translated it however, it sounds ridiciulously cringey and pretentious. Also english american music who used japanese, they usually use the sound of japanese girl pronouncing engrish badly because thats their asian yellow fever fetish

"Pretentiousness" can't be a fact as it cannot be statistically measured and/or determined with hard proof. They don't? Coulda fooled me, pal.

And then you realize that argument is flawed and irrelevant since we're talking about Japan where it doesn't have overly strict standards and if anything, America even calling some of the garbage they put out as music is distasteful (in my own opinion).

Yeah gee I wonder why the funk a song meant to be heard in ONE SPECIFIC LANGUAGE sounds bad when you translate it into a COMPLETELY different language with COMPLETELY different rules, who funking knew?

Go ahead and translate your favorite American/English song into Japanese, I'm sure it'll go just AMAZINGLY.

"Pretentiousness" can't be a fact as it cannot be statistically measured and/or determined with hard proof. They don't? Coulda fooled me, pal.

And then you realize that argument is flawed and irrelevant since we're talking about Japan where it doesn't have overly strict standards and if anything, America even calling some of the garbage they put out as music is distasteful (in my own opinion).

Yeah gee I wonder why the f*** a song meant to be heard in ONE SPECIFIC LANGUAGE sounds bad when you translate it into a COMPLETELY different language with COMPLETELY different rules, who f***ing knew?

Go ahead and translate your favorite American/English song into Japanese, I'm sure it'll go just AMAZINGLY.

Um are you sure. Japans standards of music have like rules and censorship boards that gets mad at anything involving drugs or sexual content in their musical lyrics. Also you inherently citing american music garbage you are just biased then 

Also english songs translated fine to japanese because it has less syllables and less complex pretentious poetry, making it straightforward when translated to japanese

Shitty music is always shitty, whatever the language, and every language has songs with good lyrics as well as songs with crappy ones.
Each language - with litterature, poetry, etc. through which it can escape its traditional forms and rules - has been proven to be enough flexible to be used in a way that can afford "good lyrics" for any song, if given apropriate (song)writing work.

What I'm trying to tell you may seem sooooooooooo ununderstandable (a word which doesn't exist btw), but my english meets its limits when I want to say anything else than sheet....

Let's listen to french music babes !! It has often no rythm, but at least the lyrics can be wonderful pieces of art !

LYRICS (translated)

As there were Gainsbourg and Gainsbarre* (the evil part of Serge Gainsbourg)
There's the Renaud and the Renard* ("renard" means 'fox')
The Renaud drinks only water
The Renard performs with Ricard* (a brand of pastis, aniseed alcohol)

One white side, one black side
Nobody is all ugly or all beautiful
Half-angel and half-bastard
And that's what we gonna see

Doctor Renaud, Mister Renard ...

Renard is always thirsty
Renaud is as sober as a sparrow
When Renaud joins his bed
Renard collapses into the gutter

Renaud is suspicious about reefers
And about the hash that makes idiot
Renard, cushy, rolls them up

To explode his brain

Renaud strives, it's his job
Writing lovely stories
To seduce people, and brats
To amuse, to move

At the tip of his pen
The Renard has only big words
Paranoia and blues
Only inspire him with black ideas

Renaud suffers from all the evils
Who overwhelm this barbaric world
He carries the crosses on his back
The most notorious injustices

Fox, disillusioned, fed up
Beware of this bazaar
The world can die soon
Renard would rather rejoice

Renaud chose the guitar
And poetry and words
Like somewhat derisory weapons
To shriek all badgers,

Renard, it's his punker side
Spits on all ideals
Makes a third of a quarter
The most beautiful engagements

Renaud deserves bravos
For, in love, and it is his glory
He's as tender as a lamb
For a single story

Renard rubs himself with everyone
He has only one evening adventures
With stunners, dogs,
Isn't Renard a bit of a pervert ?

It is because of despair
Which falls to fifty soon
That the Renard, sooner or later
Will take over Renaud

Today his love is gone,
His beautiful love, his Domino
She leaves the ugly Renard
But will always love Renaud

I would argue with you, but you've claimed that American music is great because of democracy and rugged individualism or something, while Japanese music is held back by the thought police Imperial decree censorship boards also being a democracy (?).

You are a troll. It's entirely within the realm of possibility that you aren't a troll, but you act exactly like one so it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, like a cruel angel, this boy is going to go become a legend in some other topic.

I would argue with you, but you've claimed that American music is great because of democracy and rugged individualism or something, while Japanese music is held back by the thought police Imperial decree censorship boards also being a democracy (?).

You are a troll. It's entirely within the realm of possibility that you aren't a troll, but you act exactly like one so it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, like a cruel angel, this boy is going to go become a legend in some other topic.

its inherently superior

also i love the same tactic u use 2 discredit me and it have been used by everyone ive seen b4 its so old by now just resort 2 calling me a troll if u dont like my facts

I feel like stereotyping an entire country's music is going a bit overboard. There are a lot of "cheesy" ones but whatever they sound cool. Better than the 90% of American Music that's dedicated to "getting lucky."

its inherently superior

also i love the same tactic u use 2 discredit me and it have been used by everyone ive seen b4 its so old by now just resort 2 calling me a troll if u dont like my facts

It's entirely within the realm of possibility that you aren't a troll, but you act exactly like one so it doesn't really matter.

It's like the difference between murder and manslaughter. No matter which you are, we're all just as dead.

Not all japanese music are inferior to american music, in fact im going to list some japanese music i jam to and that is inherently superior to many american music in some way

"I'll chase you anywhere
I'll chase you anytime
you know I'll chase you
There is no escape
Start running, chase you
Again tomorrow, chase you
Until I've kicked your goddamn ass!"

See now this is some awesome sheet its poetic but not deep 2 the point of pretentiousness. It gets str8 to the point and the artist found a way to make the song be perfect in both english and japanese. smart songwriting right there

"I would like to show
Cut open my skull
Look into my head

I don't
Know why I'm so harsh
I could be so brash
I'm going to clash

'Cause I feel
I can always show
my everything to you
If this moment was for me
I try to hear
Lend my ear
Voices inside
One link to join it all again"

Okay this song is legit awesome. It got that old school vibe butnalso new school vibe and like the chorus, it translate well from japanese to english. These guys knew what theyre doing too, like theyre not using overly bullshit pretentious wank that most generic jpop stars use

"Sharp like an edge of a samurai sword
The mental blade cut through flesh and bone
Though my mind's at peace, the world out of order
Missing the inner heat, life gets colder
Oh yes, I have to find my path
No less, walk on earth, water, and fire
The elements compose a magnum opus
My modus operandi is amalgam
Steel packed tight in microchip
On my armor a sign of all-pro
The ultimate reward is honor, not awards
At odds with the times in wards with no lords"

Okay now this is probably one of the best intro of an anime opening ive ever heard in my life. Right from the getgo you get the wordplay and metaphor. Like this is real music right here. funk all that jpop sheet. Not to mention this song is from 2005

-

Not all Japanese songs are badly translated, because the artist use the correct choise of words and with their multilingualism allowed the song 2 be more beautiful and diverse, unlike most narrow jpop. ITs why kpop is inheretly more popular than jpop anyway

Why do they have to make it work in English? People throwing stuff in Google translate, duct taping it to the end of a fishing pole, and waving it in front of the internet isn't exactly the target audience.

It is the target audience when more people NOT JAPANESE watch anime than JAPANESE people watch anime

Or you could just not translate the f***ing song that isn't meant to be.

translated tho it shows that japanese songs r just forced

translated tho it shows that japanese songs r just forced

The thing with this though is that language is a weird thing. Translations don't really give the proper feeling. Since even a good translation by the nature of language will leave some things in the void. Not to mention that translating a song you either need to change the lyrics in order to keep the rhythm or make it sound awkward.

Archived