Zaprince(ss) Archetype [WRITTEN, AGM]

Tinkerer

Hello, fine peoples!

Too sleepy to come up with anything witty. This is an AGM archetype, but I'll find/post the prompt later.

[spoiler Zaprince cards]Zaprince Tempest

WIND *****

Thunder/Effect

During your opponent's Main Phase, if you control no monsters: you can Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card is Summoned: you can target 1 card on the field or in your opponent's hand; that target's effects are negated, also, it cannot be Summoned, Set, activated, or activate its effects for the rest of the turn. When a "Zaprince" monster is Summoned while you control this monster: Activate the appropriate effect depending on the monster Summoned:

- "Zaprince" (except a "Zaprincess" monster): Add 1 "Zaprince" monster from your Deck to your hand.

- "Zaprincess": Special Summon 1 "Zaprince" monster from your Deck.

You can only activate the effect of this card's name once per turn.

1900/2000

Zaprincess Gale

WIND *****

Thunder/Effect

If a monster you control is targeted for an attack, you can target the attack target: Special Summon this card, and if the target is a "Zaprince" monster: halve the ATK and DEF of all monsters your opponent controls. If this card is Summoned: you can target 1 card on the field or in your opponent's hand; that target's effects are negated, also, it cannot be Summoned, Set, activated, or activate its effects for the rest of the turn. When a "Zaprince" monster is Summoned while you control this monster: Activate the appropriate effect depending on the monster Summoned:

- "Zaprince" (except a "Zaprincess" monster): Set 1 "Zaprince" Spell/Trap from your Deck. It can be activated the turn it was Set.

- "Zaprincess": Add 1 "Zaprince" Spell/Trap from your Deck to your hand.

1700/2200

Zaprince Twister

WIND *****

Thunder/Effect

If your opponent Normal Summons a monster and you control less monsters than they do: you can Special Summon this card from your hand in defense position. If this card is Summoned: you can target 1 card on the field or in your opponent's hand; that target's effects are negated, also, it cannot be Summoned, Set, activated, or activate its effects for the rest of the turn. When a "Zaprince" monster is Summoned while you control this monster: Activate the appropriate effect depending on the monster Summoned:

- "Zaprince" (except a "Zaprincess" monster): target 1 monster your opponent controls; return that target to the hand.

- "Zaprincess": you can target 1 monster you control and up to 2 cards your opponent controls; return those targets to the hand.

2300/1100

Zaprincess Whirlwind

WIND *****

Thunder/Effect

If your opponent activates a Spell/Trap card while you have less cards in your hand: you can Special Summon this card from your hand in attack position. If this card is Summoned: you can target 1 card on the field or in your opponent's hand; that target's effects are negated, also, it cannot be Summoned, Set, activated, or activate its effects for the rest of the turn. When a "Zaprince" monster is Summoned while you control this monster: Activate the appropriate effect depending on the monster Summoned:

- "Zaprince" (except a "Zaprincess" monster): Special Summon 1 "Zaprince" monster from your GY or face-up in your Extra Deck.

- "Zaprincess": Target 1 "Zaprince" monster in your GY or face-up in your Extra Deck; add that target to your hand.

1500/2400

Zaprince Firestorm

WIND ****

Scale: 2<>6

Thunder/Pendulum/Effect

PE: (Quick Effect): If a "Zaprincess" monster is in your other Pendulum Zone: you can destroy both cards in your Pendulum Zone; destroy all cards your opponent controls or in their hand that was targeted by a "Zaprince" monster you currently control this turn.

ME: If this card is Summoned: you can target 1 card on the field or in your opponent's hand; that target's effects are negated, also, it cannot be Summoned, Set, activated, or activate its effects for the rest of the turn. When a "Zaprince" monster is Summoned while you control this monster: Activate the appropriate effect depending on the monster Summoned:

- "Zaprince" (except a "Zaprincess" monster): target 1 monster your opponent controls; destroy that target.

- "Zaprincess": target 1 card your opponent controls; banish that target.

1800/600

Zaprincess Thunderstorm

WIND ****

Thunder/Pendulum/Effect

PE: If a "Zaprince" monster (except a "Zaprincess" monster) is in your other Pendulum Zone, you can target that monster: Special Summon this monster and, if you do, Special Summon that target.

ME: If this card is Summoned: you can target 1 card on the field or in your opponent's hand; that target's effects are negated, also, it cannot be Summoned, Set, activated, or activate its effects for the rest of the turn. When a "Zaprince" monster is Summoned while you control this monster: Activate the appropriate effect depending on the monster Summoned:

- "Zaprince" (except a "Zaprincess" monster): Until your next Standby Phase, all Special Summoned monsters' original ATK becomes 0.

- "Zaprincess": Until your next Standby Phase, all Special Summoned monsters' original ATK is halved.

1700/1600

Zaprince Hailstorm

WIND ***

Thunder/Pendulum/Effect

PE: If a "Zaprincess" monster is in your other Pendulum Zone: you can return this card to your Deck; Special Summon 1 "Zaprince" monster from your Deck in defense position. Its effect is negated until the end of the phase.

- "Zaprince" (except a "Zaprincess" monster): All "Zaprince" monsters you control gain 200 ATK.

- "Zaprincess": All "Zaprince" monsters you control gain 400 ATK and piercing.

1200/1800

Zaprincess Windstorm

WIND ***

Thunder/Pendulum/Effect

PE: If a "Zaprince" monster (except a "Zaprincess" monster) is in your other Pendulum Zone: you can destroy this card; add 1 "Zaprince" Spell or Trap from your Deck to your hand.

- "Zaprince" (except a "Zaprincess" monster): Inflict 500 damage to your opponent, and if you do, gain 500 LP.

- "Zaprincess": Inflict 300 damage to your opponent.

1400/1400

Zaprince Rivalry

Trap

Activate 1 of the appropriate effects.

-If you control a "Zaprince" monster (except a "Zaprincess" monster): Special Summon 2 "Zaprincess" monsters from your Deck.

- If you control a Zaprincess monster: Special Summon 2 "Zaprince" monsters (except a Zaprincess monster) from your Deck.

Destroy any monsters Special Summoned by this card's effect during the End Phase. You can only activate 1 of this card's name per turn.

Zaprincess' Night Out

Trap

Special Summon up to 2 "Zaprincess" monsters from your hand. They cannot attack, also, return them to your hand during the End Phase.

Zaprince's Hang Out

Trap

Special Summon up to 2 "Zaprince" monsters (except "Zaprincess" monsters) from your hand. They cannot attack, also, return them to your hand during the End Phase.

Ostracizing Rumors

Continuous Trap

If a card on the field is negated, pay 500 LP and banish it until the End Phase.

Zaprince' Command

Continuous Spell

Any card(s) in the hand that is targeted by a "Zaprince" monster must remain revealed. You can destroy this card on the field; Special Summon 2 "Zaprince" monsters from your hand, Deck or GY whose levels equal the number of revealed cards in your opponent's hand when this card was destroyed.

Zaprince's Banquet

Spell

Target any number of "Zaprince" monsters you control; Special Summon "Zaprince" Xyz monsters from your Extra Deck or GY whose Ranks are equal to the levels of the targeted "Zaprince" monsters using the monsters with same level as the monsters' Rank as material (this is treated as an Xyz Summon). You cannot conduct your Battle Phase the turn you activate this card.

Zaprince Maelstrom

WIND R6*

Thunder/Xyz/Effect

3 level 6 monsters

You can also Xyz Summon this card by using a Rank 5 or lower WIND monster as Xyz Material. If you do, you cannot activate the following effect unless the monster used was a "Zaprince" Xyz. You can detach all Xyz Materials from this monster (min. 2): Return all other cards on the field to he hand. This card cannot attack directly the turn you activate this effect. Once per turn, if a face-up card on the field is negated: you can attach that card to this card as Xyz Material. This card gains 100 ATK and DEF for each Xyz Material under it.

2600/2600

Zaprincess Cyclone

WIND R5*

Thunder/Xyz/Effect

2 level 5 monsters

You can detach 2 Xyz Materials: target a number of face-up cards on the field up to the number of WIND monsters you control; those targets' effects are negated and they're unaffected by your opponent's card effects. This card gains the following effects while it has a "Zaprince" monster as Xyz Material.

-"Zaprince" (except a "Zaprincess" monster): this card can attack a number of times up to the amount of Xyz Materials it has.

- "Zaprincess": Once per turn: you can attach 1 "Zaprince" monster from your GY to this card as Xyz Material.

2300/2300

Zaprince Typhoon

WIND R****

Thunder/Xyz/Pendulum/Effect

PE: Once per turn: you can target 1 monster you control and 1 card your opponent controls with its effects negated; return the first target to the hand, and if you do, banish the second target.

ME: 2 level 4 Thunder monsters

(Quick Effect): you can detach 1 card and target 1 Special Summoned monster your opponent controls; both this card and that target's effects are negated until the End Phase. This card gains the following effects while it has a "Zaprince" monster as Xyz Material.

-"Zaprince" (except a "Zaprincess" monster): Once per turn: if a card is targeted by a "Zaprince" monster; both players draw 1 card.

- "Zaprincess": Once per turn: if a card is targeted by a "Zaprince" monster; both players discard 1 card.

2000/2000

Zaprincess Tornado

WIND R***

Thunder/Xyz/Pendulum/Effect

PE: If a "Zaprince" monster targets a card in your opponent's hand: banish all copies of that target from both players' Decks and GY.

ME: 3 level 3 monsters

Monsters with their effects negated cannot attack. (Quick Effect): You can detach any number of Xyz Materials from this card; all your opponent's face-up cards have their effects negated until the End Phase. You can only activate this effect as Chain Link 1. This card gains the following effects while it has a "Zaprince" monster as Xyz Material.

-"Zaprince" (except a "Zaprincess" monster): this card cannot be destroyed by your opponent's cards.

- "Zaprincess": this card cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects.

1700/1700

Too tired to really go into it. The idea behind this Thunder archetype is more/less full stun. Stop your opponent's plays in their tracks while you accumulate field advantage with which you can go into your Xyzs for removal or simply beat face. However, their relatively low-average stats make them fairly easily run over and they're often hurt by quick effects and negation despite how easily they dish 'em out.

Anyways, as always, CnC much appreciated!

FINE. I'll do ANOTHER ~20 card archetype review today. Was stumped on AGM Archetype Contest Cards anyway.

Zaprince Tempest

WIND 5 Thunder/Effect 1900/2000

Idk if you knew this, but Zaprincess has “Zaprince” in its name, so the wording may be a problem. I would word it like this:

“If you Special Summon a “Zaprince” monster: You can add 1 “Zaprince” monster from your Deck to your hand. If it was also a “Zaprincess” monster: You can Special Summon it instead.”

I can see a gimmick here similar to PSY-Frames but without the negation or timing requirements, which is interesting. It seems this deck revolves around this card getting out first and then getting your other monsters out so you can search. Seems like it's cool. Let’s see where you go with this.

Zaprincess Gale

WIND 5 Thunder/Effect 1700/2200

I don’t know how I feel about the “negating cards in your opponent’s hand” shenanigans. It’s cool but I think it would be REALLY annoying, especially if it’s unrevealed. I would rather the card gets kept revealed and that it has to be a particular kind of card to be negated. That way you can also manipulate the revealing cards mechanic for a Field Spell so that it works more of the time, which reduces the luck factor and increases the strategy factor, especially from an opponent’s perspective where they would see your hand of hand traps. You could also have a Continuous Spell that reveals face-down Spell/Traps so that you know what card it is when you try to negate it.

Otherwise it’s a Spell/Trap searcher. Same things I said about Tempest applies here.

Zaprince Twister

WIND 5 Thunder/Effect 2300/1100

Cool stuff. I like the “opponent controls more monster than you do clause” to begin with. The Zaprincess effect could probably use work since that as a reusable effect could definitely get annoying fast. I would have it maybe that it returns it to the deck instead, or that it can’t be used until the end of the turn as an additive of the Zaprince effect. Sounds like it would also be easier to word.

Zaprincess Whirlwind

WIND 5 Thunder/Effect 1500/2400

Another cool Special Summon ability. Creativity is pretty good here. Wait… face-up from your Extra Deck? OH NO.

Zaprince Firestorm

WIND **** Scale: 2<>6 Thunder/Pendulum/Effect 1800/600

You’ve betrayed my trust a bit. Idk if I like the Quick Effect, but it’s interesting enough. This is also a Level 4 monster so that’s nice for the archetype. For the Zaprincess effect, I would rather make it a “banish 1 monster” or a “destroy 1 card” since you have to think of these as all Quick Effects.

Also, I don’t think Firestorm would be a WIND monster, but I can get why it is.

Zaprincess Thunderstorm

WIND **** Scale: 2<>6 Thunder/Pendulum/Effect 1700/1600

Fine effects. I would rather it not be “until your next Standby Phase” but rather until the end of the turn so it isn’t going to stop your opponent’s next plays. This would be to add more skill to the deck since then the timing of activation would matter more. Otherwise, the card is fine and the Pendulum Effect is cool.

Zaprince Hailstorm

WIND *** Scale: 2<>6 Thunder/Pendulum/Effect 1200/1800

Pendulum Effect is actually really cool. Otherwise, I would just add DEF as well to the effects since all of these monsters get Special Summoned in Defense Position.

Zaprincess Windstorm

WIND *** Scale: 2<>6 Thunder/Pendulum/Effect 1400/1400

To keep with the theme to the searching and make it a GY searcher, but I haven’t seen the Spells/Traps so maybe not. Burn is meh, but maybe that isn’t the point of the card.

Zaprince Rivalry

Normal Trap

The effect should Summon them in Defense Position so it isn’t as amazing and so that you can emphasize it as a defensive measure like the rest of the deck has been revolved around. Maybe make some Xyz Summoning restrictions too, but otherwise fine.

Zaprincess' Night Out

Trap

I don’t know...

Zaprince's Hang Out

Trap

… how I feel about these. They seem fine, but I can’t help to think that they could be a single card. I may add some banish effects that make these cards a bit more unique, but it’s fine I guess.

Ostracizing Rumors

Continuous Trap

The card is kinda redundant. They’re already negated, and can’t even be used. I guess if you negate a card on the field it’s better, but I don’t think this card would see much play if the archetype had it.

Zaprince' Command

Continuous Spell

For 1: Field Spell. For 2, 5 cards being revealed is a bit generous late game. 3 is still generous. I would rather this card reveal BOTH PLAYERS HANDS, and then have this apply to set Spell/Trap cards. This would be better coupled with something a mentioned before, having the cards only negate specific kinds of cards, and then also allow your opponent to strategize around these situations that might screw them over.

Zaprince's Banquet

Spell

This could be a Quick-play Spell, or a banish effect on a trap. This card is just a -1 that opens up the field occasionally. You could put this as a banish effect on Night Out and then have a different one on Hang Out.

Zaprince Maelstrom

WIND R6 Thunder/Xyz/Effect 3 level 6 monsters 2600/2600

I have concerns, but not too many. This is a good boss monster for what your deck is trying to do. Although there is “Return all other cards on the field to he hand.” I’d rather you not have to look through your entire archetype looking for typing errors after already completing it. Betting this was from when you were working late.

Zaprincess Cyclone

WIND R5 Thunder/Xyz/Effect 2 level 5 monsters 2300/2300

I like it. It’s rather attacks 3-4 times or screws over your opponent’s plays. This could implement a lot of skill with the archetype, not in it’s summoning, but in it’s utility. Cool stuff.

Zaprince Typhoon

WIND R4 Scale: 2<>6 Thunder/Xyz/Pendulum/Effect 2000/2000

Mind you the card can’t be Pendulum Summoned without the level clause, but it’s still cool. I think you missed an opportunity with the materials though. 1 of the abilities could’ve been “This card’s effect(s) cannot be negated” so that it would synergize with the Quick Effect. Mind you that this would warrant a OPT clause from the Quick Effect though.

Zaprincess Tornado

WIND R3 Scale: 2<>6 Thunder/Xyz/Pendulum/Effect 1700/1700

Now THAT'S a Pendulum Effect, but how do you get it in the Pendulum Zone? The protection is also nice for the swarm of monsters you’re Summoning.

Overall this is such a cool archetype, but it has a few key problems that make it a bit less than it could be:

• I would rather the negation effects have to reveal the card you’re targeting until the end of the turn, and then if it’s the corresponding monster/spell/trap/level of monster or whatever nonsense THEN it’s negated. Universal Summon negation is REALLY good, and could just stop your opponent in their tracks forever, or at least long enough until you can kill them. By having it a bit more specific similar to SPYRAL (hey you could also make it a call a card-type kind of effect when it’s face-down), you could warrant some cool card concepts like the

• Field Spell I mentioned with the “Reveal your hand” part. That would be a really cool concept, especially since this also allows your opponent to strategize around your hand traps. It also implements an interesting kind of play that

• 1 month later...

I apologize for the necrobump and for being this late, but I got a couple of comments to drop here and I can't really expect Tinkerer to remake the thread with updates anytime soon.

First, dropping the original prompt for you:

Zaprinces(ses)
Archetype of anthropomorphic royal WIND/Thunder monsters with a theme of windy and stormy weathers like clouds, strong winds, thunderstorms, etc., rather than just lightning and thunder. As royalty, they all wear elegant suits, gorgeous dresses for the ladies, and so on, inspired on the aforementioned weathers. Their main gimmick is stunning cards upon their arrival to the field. When they are Summoned, they get to target a card, or choose a card on the hand, and negate its effect or prevent its use respectively, for the rest of the turn. This gives them some control power, but still doesn't sound that great of an effect and rather boring when all of them do the same, right? The catch is that the all have an additional effect that activate when they are already on the field and a card is stunned by another Zaprince(ss) that is Summoned in their presence. Furthermore, said effects come with an extra bonus if the Summoned Zaprince(ss) is of the opposite gender. These effects range from cookie cutter stuff like searching, to removal like targeted bouncing, but get slightly stronger when this "Zaprince(ss) of opposite gender was Summoned" condition is fulfilled. For example, normally 1 can search for a "Zaprince" monster from the Deck, but it can improved into straight Special Summoning it.
Their Spell/Traps support include effects that Special Summon them from Deck, graveyard, hand, etc. allowing them to trigger said additional effects with more ease and without relying too much on Normal Summons to populate the board. Also their Spell/Traps revolve around interactions between Zaprinces(ses) of the same gender or the opposite one, and depict these in their artworks. That, or they may have additional effects that depend on the Summoned Zaprinces(es), or the ones you already control or in your hand. For instance, a Spell/Trap inspired on rivalry will involve monster of the same gender.
As for Extra Deck, they have Xyzs that gain different effects if they were Summoned using a Zaprince or Zaprincess, which stack; also they have at least 1 Link Monster to make their Xyzs more accessible.

Then, after this thread was made I realized that, as Eshai pointed out, any support for "Zaprince" monsters would inherently apply to "Zaprincess" monsters. An alternative that occurs to me is renaming either the males or females as "Zaprinze(ss)".

An idea I have for negating a card in the opponent's hand without revealing it is including in the effect that the opponent has to place it face-down somewhere on the surface the duelists are playing. In other words, set it aside from his/her hand without giving you knowledge on what card is it.

Oh yeah I remember this (did 40 card reviews in one day and also made reviews with really weird fonts). Sad Tinkerer isn't back yet. 

I don't think that Zaprincess have to be a different archetype. but I do think that the Deck needs a more consistent way of doing things, such as having the Field Spell equivalent of Respect Play , which would be pretty interesting since both players have their hands revealed, so while you get an advantage, they get to see why you would get an advantage. Personally, I want something competitive to reveal both player's hands just for game variety's sake, but it seems we haven't had that yet. Idk I'll probably do something with it in my own time.

I'll let the necro go this time, but yeah, in the future, just leave the thread alone if it's been dead this long. (Then again, Tinkerer's been gone for a month/half now so...whether/not he even checks this thread remains to be seen.)

Oh yeah I remember this (did 40 card reviews in one day and also made reviews with really weird fonts). Sad Tinkerer isn't back yet. 

I don't think that Zaprincess have to be a different archetype. but I do think that the Deck needs a more consistent way of doing things, such as having the Field Spell equivalent of Respect Play , which would be pretty interesting since both players have their hands revealed, so while you get an advantage, they get to see why you would get an advantage. Personally, I want something competitive to reveal both player's hands just for game variety's sake, but it seems we haven't had that yet. Idk I'll probably do something with it in my own time.

Well, there's always legacy threads if you want to push them up (though you are stuck with whatever Tinkerer has made). But it's really up to you in terms of addressing this. 

Archived