[MTG] Commander 2017 Spoilers

Flame Dragon

As no one has said it here, targeting your own Phage with Fractured Identity leads to instant game-win. I want to get my hands on both of those now and use that as a possible win condition

for 13 mana, at sorcery speed, and phage can't be your commander.

Speaking of cards in that cycle

summonthetribe.jpg

Summon the Tribe

5GG

Instant

Choose a creature type. Reveal the top card card of your library until you reveal X creatures of the chosen type, where X is the number of creatures you control of the chosen type, and place them onto the battlefield. Shuffle the other revealed cards into your library.

Yea, these seem nuts.

I'm not one for random giant creatures, but I do see the appeal for some players.

Recknoner is Karmic Justice for Dragons. Asceticism is stronger, but the pull for the tribal synergy is certainly strong.

I wonder what are good self Identity targets. Using it with the various Howling Mines seems hilarious.

Yeah, no, this card is proof that making things instant speed doesn't make them good. 7 mana should do a hell of a lot more than this. The only tribe it seems marginally playable with is elves, and if you are generating enough mana and have enough elves to make this worth it, just cast craterhoof.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for 13 mana, at sorcery speed, and phage can't be your commander.

Yeah, no, this card is proof that making things instant speed doesn't make them good. 7 mana should do a hell of a lot more than this. The only tribe it seems marginally playable with is elves, and if you are generating enough mana and have enough elves to make this worth it, just cast craterhoof.

Might be a result of how I built my list, but I'm not a big fan of this in my Elf deck. My list mostly uses the elves to generate a ton of mana o getting more mana isn't really how I'd want to use 7 mana. I'd rather card draw or tutors in this slot. That being said this might be better than Uncage since I think all the creatures I'd get with that are Elves anyway. I should also just put Craterhoof back into my list. While I've pulled back on the go wide aspect the deck can still do that and it makes for a killer win condition.

I do think this is insane in Slivers and Dragons. Slivers just want to put more and more Slivers into play and this does that very well. Dragons REALLY benefit from the fact that it puts the creatures directly in play and even if its only 3 dragons thats a huge mana advantage you're getting.

Slivers can outright win if they have 7 mana and an established board, let's be honest with ourselves.

Dragons are a joke and I refuse to believe otherwise.

They could easily not have the right pieces. Overlord helps, but if your opponents let Overlord stick your a huge favorite already.

Dragons aren't going to be super powerful or anything, but I'm certain Ur is going to end up being one of the most popular commanders.

You are SUPER competitively minded, more so than me it would seem. Realize the average commander player isn't nearly at competitive and playing nearly as optimized decks.

Here is the gist of it. I don't want to spend 7 mana on a card that doesn't work if I'm not already in a good place, and doesn't just make me win.

That is fair.

qasalislingers.jpg

mirroroftheforebears.jpg

I like how these are both cards that already exist. One of them literally being printed 2 months ago

Yeah, I guess mirror can copy big stuff, but I'd rather just run more big stuff.

My biggest problem with Mirror is we just got a Mirror. I considered that in my tribal decks and I didn't want it then. Shaving off a mana in both cost and activation isn't enough and that is even before you consider the fact it is also weaker.

Mirror is fine. We basically just got the same card in HOU but the cheaper cost is nothing to overlook. Any dedicated tribal deck would love this card. Copying lords at instant speed can really have a huge effect on the battlefield. The name just makes me want to copy grizzly bears though.

also, most of these "super pushed" tribal cards are not really pushed when they are all 5-7 mana. They might be able to steal games at a casual table but any group running moderately powerful decks definitely do not want these. You can get much more impactful spells at the same mana cost in pretty much any color.

I don't Like Licia at all.

Bloodsworn Steward is above curver, but even then I feel a bit unimpressed. Actually is probably pretty good if your commander is an Olivia.

Disrupt Decorum is a sweet burn spell.

I'm not going to pay 5 mana for a slow conditional burn effect. Especially when it can burn me.

Curse of bounty can get way out of hand, but overall I'm not terribly fond of it.

I like curse of opulence. It's a damn good effect, and one red wants. Also sets a nice precedent for the color pie.

Curse of Disturbance feels like it has the highest risk, and there are more reliable ways to make zombies.

Curse of Verbosity pairs well with notion thief or consecrated sphinx. Otherwise, I'm not too fond of giving the opponents cards, even if I'm getting more.

Curse of Vitality sucks outside of oloro. In oloro, it is a less risky verbosity, which is nice.

Why the funk is phasing here? Curious if they will fix the rules interaction that makes cards attached to tokens cease to exist indefinitely.

I don't think I am ever going to cast Papa Markov, but giving +1 vampire to every vampire is stupidly strong.

Yes, Olivia, this is much better. Thank you.

Mathas isn't a particularly good card, but that brand is the symbol of emrakul's cultists on innistrad, which is very interesting.

Kindred Charge goes on the list of cards that I don't like at 6 cmc, but would be broken at 5 cmc.

I get that Patron of the Vein is strong as funk, but I really am not interested in 6 drops in such an aggressive archetype.

heirloomblade.jpg

And one that is a little bit blurry

inallaarchmageritualist.jpg

Eminence - Whenever another nontoken Wizard enters the battlefield under your control, if Inalla, Archmage Ritualist is in the command zone or on the battlefield, you may pay {1}. If you do, create a token that's a copy of that Wizard. The token gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step. 

Tap five untapped Wizards you control: Target player loses 7 life. 

Well Vampires, Dragons, and Cats are all very aggro... The only reason I can think for Inalla giving the tokens haste is for activated abilities that tap... I guess? And they get exiled too which is weeeiiiird... Like they expect you to attack with you 2/2 wizards.

Ill need to see more of her deck to effectively judge her. As for Vampires, a lot of cool cards, particularly the ones that reference commanders. We've had Lieutanant abilities, of course, but they said "your commander." These refer to commander creatures practically like a supertype. I think it'll be a nice precedent to have for future set design.

But, Edgar and Licia are kinda underwhelming as commanders. Mathas is fine but not super vampirey. The support all looks pretty powerful though.

Mirror is fine. We basically just got the same card in HOU but the cheaper cost is nothing to overlook. Any dedicated tribal deck would love this card. Copying lords at instant speed can really have a huge effect on the battlefield. The name just makes me want to copy grizzly bears though.

also, most of these "super pushed" tribal cards are not really pushed when they are all 5-7 mana. They might be able to steal games at a casual table but any group running moderately powerful decks definitely do not want these. You can get much more impactful spells at the same mana cost in pretty much any color.

See, I considered mirror in my various tribal decks and I didn't included it not because of the cost, but simply because I didn't want that type of effect. When you only have a couple really good target and a bunch of other ok ones it doesn't seem worth the space.

Given what I've seen when I've played commander with random people the average commander deck isn't all that powerful. Like I know if I wanted mine can be optimized a ton more and I felt like I had the best or second best at every table I ended up playing at.

Anyway, thoughts on the new cards.

I think Licia is fine. We have enough cost reduction that I don't see it being all that hard to cast her for MNO most of the time and she can kill pretty fast.

Steward is meh. We have tons of better ways to give haste to commanders.

Decorum is really powerful. Have the table kill each other and then kill whoever is the weakest since everyone is going to be pretty open after this is cast.

Honor Guard seems bad.

White Curse looks terrible, but all the others look solid.

Protection is a weird protection spell, but it does a hell of a job. Seems like an interesting option to protect your board.

Markov seems really good. I know when I build my tribal decks getting the critical mass of the tribe out can be hard since most tribes only have one or two really good token makers. The fact he can double as an anthem is just gravy. I know we're getting white vamps in Ixalan so I might end up making a tribal vampire list when we get the full spoiler for that.

Tribal Control Magic that can't be undone is nuts.

Mathas seems fine. Nothing all that interesting imo.

Charge seems like it can be really powerful in the right goblin build. Not sure if I'd put it into my Grenzo list though. Side from goblins dragons might be able to use it since the things you're coping are so big, but you're just as likely to just want another big dragon.

I really like Patron. Removal and anthem effects stitched together are powerful.

I really like Blade. Even outside of dedicated tribal decks it is pretty easy to have a couple worthwhile things you can hit with it. My Kemba list isn't tribal focused, but for sure going to find space in it for this. Wish it didn't randomize the order since I'd also slam it into Grenzo, but it might still make the cut. Don't think my other tribal decks (Slivers and Elves) want this though.

Agree Inalla is weird. I'm not versed enough in the wizards we have in the game, but my first instinct is that they aren't really things you want to be making temporary tokens of. The burn effect is also super random.

I need a ruling on Kindred Charge. If I use Mirror Entity's ability to make all of my creatures 9/9 first, in this scenario does Kindred Charge make the tokens based off their original stats or are they 9/9 tokens?

Here's the rule that references what you're asking about.

706.2. When copying an object, the copy acquires the copiable values of the original object’s characteristics and, for an object on the stack, choices made when casting or activating it (mode, targets, the value of X, whether it was kicked, how it will affect multiple targets, and so on). The “copiable values” are the values derived from the text printed on the object (that text being name, mana cost, color indicator, card type, subtype, supertype, rules text, power, toughness, and/or loyalty), as modified by other copy effects, by its face-down status, and by “as . . . enters the battlefield” and “as . . . is turned face up” abilities that set power and toughness (and may also set additional characteristics). Other effects (including type-changing and text-changing effects), status, and counters are not copied.

The quick answer: In the case of Mirror Entity, Mirror Entity's changes to the originals won't affect the tokens, both in that the tokens won't enter as 9/9 with all creature types and that Mirror Entity's ability won't retraoactively apply to them either. You'll have to activate Mirror Entity a second time for X=9 for the Kindred Charge tokens to be 9/9s with all creature types.

Mirror isn't a direct comparison to Mirage Mirror, as it only clones your stuff. Not sure if I'd play this even in a dedicated tribal deck, but the cost is cheap enough that it's possible.

Slingers at minimum is a Conclave Naturalists. Outside of Cat decks, it competes with Acidic Slime, and I think Slime is better in 90% of cases.

Licia seems like a weird Karlov variant. You lose the removal baked in, but get access to red and more explosive plays off of the commander herself. If you have a way to gain 5 life on board turn 3, you have a 7/7 then and there that gets you back the life you lost.

Steward will be very good for aggressive casual commanders, even moreso if you play partners. 4/4 flying for four mana isn't bad either.

Goad being back makes me absurdly happy, seeing as the only card with the mechanic that's really playable in EDH is Grenzo (and Besmirch if you look at it funny). Don't know how good this actually is, but it should invite a moment of chaos.

Honor Guard is bad. Hits you first and doesn't deal enough damage to be really punishing. Would prefer if it dealt 5 damage, but oh well.

The curses are probably the best ones we've seen so far. You always getting the effect means that they're a lot more playable than others. Red is probably the strongest, white is the weakest, and the others fall somewhere in the middle.

Teferi's Protection is weird. It's obviously strong, like a mono-white Heroic Intervention and fog rolled into one, but I don't know how often I'd actually want to play it.

Edgar is pretty potent. Getting a token off of all your spells is pretty damn good, although I'm scared that we'll see the Daxos/Kalemne problem: him being much weaker than the other options due to forcing a cast trigger. At least his attack ability is nice. Don't think he's what I'm looking for in a vampire commander though, sadly.

New Blood is sexy. All I'm gonna say. Imagine this stealing the cat player's Pride Sovereign... :D

Mathas is certainly interesting. Wishing he was 2 power to stick him in Alesha. Ceiling seems pretty low on this guy, however: you have to jump through a few hoops to get a rather underwhelming effect.

Inalla is the most powerful of the eminence commanders, bar none. She's basically a tribal Riku that never leaves the command zone. Sure, her activated ability is weak, but who cares?

Heirloom Blade is good, if only because it's a +3/+1 for little cost. Also, this + Ashnod's Altar + Deathrender + Wheel of Sun and Moon basically wins you the game.

EuQnPsm.jpg

This guy's gonna be really annoying. Thank god that it says "you don't control," or else him + Inalla would haunt me for days.

e9SSx3L.png

Did this card miss the bus for KTK Standard or something? The effect is fine and all, but it doesn't seem very... Commander-y.

Licia seems like a weird Karlov variant. You lose the removal baked in, but get access to red and more explosive plays off of the commander herself. If you have a way to gain 5 life on board turn 3, you have a 7/7 then and there that gets you back the life you lost.

Teferi's Protection is weird. It's obviously strong, like a mono-white Heroic Intervention and fog rolled into one, but I don't know how often I'd actually want to play it.

Edgar is pretty potent. Getting a token off of all your spells is pretty damn good, although I'm scared that we'll see the Daxos/Kalemne problem: him being much weaker than the other options due to forcing a cast trigger. At least his attack ability is nice. Don't think he's what I'm looking for in a vampire commander though, sadly.

As someone who has played against Karlov a LOT his life gain condition also seems much easier to abuse than Licia's. A large part of that is the Soul Sisters, but just in general getting a bunch of +1 health seems easier than gaining 5.

Protection seems best in decks looking to build out their board but don't have access to counter magic to do it. That fact that Phasing is also being changed to work with tokens means this has a shot at being considered in my Rith token deck.

I think the main difference between those two is you don't need to worry about him being on board. As I said earlier one of the things I'm always looking for in my tribal decks is more ways to generate large number of tokens and this not only compares well to the most powerful ones, but also can grow the team really fast.

Anyway, more new cards, then thoughts.

kindreddominance.jpg

Kindred Dominance

5BB

Sorcery

Choose a creature type. Destroy all creatures that are not the chosen type.

kindredboon.jpg

Kindred Boon

2WW

Enchantment

When Kindred Boon enters the battlefield choose a creature type.

1W: Put a divinity counter on target creature you control with the chosen type.

All creatures you control with a divinity counter become indestructible.

---------------

Giant seems really powerful with the only thing holding it back being the mana cost. Still seems worth the slot in a dedicated tribal Wizard deck. Also, with the sub theme for the deck looking to be tapping your creatures I'm curious how they plan to take advantage of that.

Mind Eater reads like a card that should be in standard. It is a cool effect, but we've seen this style of card before and I don't think it does enough in commander. It is cool though.

Lich combines very well with sac outlets to snipe cards your opponent might draw. I might put it into my Zombie commander list.

Pretender looks SICK. I love cards that don't lose value from needing to be cast for more and more mana over the corse of the game and this does just that. The limit of one activation sucks, but I can see this thing being nuts.

Dominance is just a Crux of Fate for all tribes. 7 is a lot, but one sided Wraths are powerful. Can also see play in decks whose commander is a weird creature type like Karlov being an Adviser.

Boon seems a little too slow for my liking. Plus white already has options to protect their board, even if those are more temporary ones.

I like mairsil.

Cast mairsil, exile Mirror-Mad Phantasm.

Use the ability, put mairsil in deck and mill your entire library.

Narcomoeba+Fatesticher+Dregscape Zombie into dread return.

Use dread return on goblin dark-dwellers, casting living end.

Bring back purphuros+20 creatures

Or just labman+azami/alchemist's apprentice

Archived