Would you pay this amount for Yu-Gi-Oh cards?

https://youtu.be/PuRLs-labtY

1. Dark Magician Girl (Japanese version) - $1100-$1600

hwkAN3g.jpg

2.  Blue-Eyes White Dragon (Chinese version) - $1300-3900 

15k7H1C.jpg

3. Des Volstgalph (SJC-EN002)- $2000 dollars

OWKoSg3.jpg

4. Gold Sarcophagus (Shonen Jump Championship) - $2200

FASZRq1.jpg

5. Minerva The Exalted  Lightsworm (YCSW - EN008) - $2300

nUESGX9.jpg

6. Crush Card virus  (SJC-EN004) - $2500 

oG6zXOT.jpg

7. Cyber Stein (SJC -EN001) - $3400 

uEBNIN4.jpg

8. Skuna, The Leonine Rakan ( WCPS- EN902) - $4500-$6000

Skuna_theLeonineRakan.png

9. Armament The Lethal Lords (WCPS - EN602) -  $9000

aa3seOL.jpg

10. Tyler The Great Warrior - $50,000 -75,000

content_tyler-the-great-warrior.jpg

11.  Black Luster Soldier (Japanese tournament) - $75,000

blacklustersoldier.png

Answer to all of them is no; I'd rather buy the reprinted versions for way cheaper. Don't really want #8 / #9 anyway because they don't do anything (and Konami is certainly not reprinting them or the other old Match Winners anytime soon). #10 isn't really that great (and assuming that guy is still alive right now, he should just keep it for himself as a reminder). 

Now if only I knew what happened to that Japanese DMG I had a long time ago; one of my classmates gave me it (P4 version). Maybe I still have it somewhere (as-is the case for a sizable chunk of my cards), or chances are some jackass kid stole it in middle school. (You can ask about the latter over PM).

Answer to all of them is no; I'd rather buy the reprinted versions for way cheaper. Don't really want #8 / #9 anyway because they don't do anything (and Konami is certainly not reprinting them or the other old Match Winners anytime soon). #10 isn't really that great (and assuming that guy is still alive right now, he should just keep it for himself as a reminder). 

Now if only I knew what happened to that Japanese DMG I had a long time ago; one of my classmates gave me it (P4 version). Maybe I still have it somewhere (as-is the case for a sizable chunk of my cards), or chances are some jackass kid stole it in middle school. (You can ask about the latter over PM).

People don't buy these to gain an edge in the game, so being unplayable/reprinted/not very good has nothing to do with it.

These are just collectors' items, same as with any other hobby.

Either way, answer to spend that much money for Yugioh cards is a definite no; that money's better used for furthering education / paying bills, etc. Sure, they are World Champion / exclusives promos (which are nice and all), but just not worth it; especially when the game dies out eventually and they lose their value.

Or something happens to them (i.e. weather damage, someone robs your home, etc), and then you're out several grand.

I kind of regret not buying that Des Volstgalph at 500 back in 2008 at a local hobby shop that doesn't exist anymore, if I knew it'd be worth x4 now....

Meh, I guess I don't even know how to sell online anyways....lol.

More importantly.....

This is a rather bad example thread of expensiveness. A lot of hobbies have super rare super expensive collectors items that do nothing, and these are the Yugioh ones. They are all prize cards for big events. They are fancy trophies. 

There are examples of actual super expensive cards for typical player in the actual gaming part of the game. Yugioh has almost always had them. Tour Guide peaked at 300 USD for about a week or two at some point during the start of the Xyz era (but mostly stayed at around 100 for a while otherwise). Cyber Dragon's debut in Cybernetic Revolution was so game-changing for its time that some online sites bumped it up to 50 USD. Dark Armed Dragon was pretty much 100 dollars times the number of copies the game allowed you to have in your deck during the TeleDAD era. Etc. What's nowadays' expensive cards? Dragonic Diagram?....

Then it'd at least be a topic that'd make for an interesting poll read about how much YCM members are willing to pay for a gaming-purposed card. 

On my personal answer to that: I would only ever buy a card for more than 30 USD if it was meant to be re-sold. I have my fancy old timey collection with all Blue-Eyes throughout the ages, all old rare Dark Magician stuff (including video game cards and whatnot, and the entirety of the JP sets of LE5 and P4)..... I have all of those as common reprints though which makes me both happy and sad at the same time. Sad because my collection is worth probably nothing anymore. Happy because I'm all in for people having what they wanna play be accessible. Not that anybody will use Sage Stone or Dark Magic Curtain, like, ever, but still....

The most rare old cards I probably own is the original G3 Japanese Dunames Dark Witch, and a proud ultra rare JP Frog the Jam from one of those old sets that don't have the set ID under the picture.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived