Welcome to Yugioh Card Maker Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

[Written] Spirit Fragrance Archetype

Necrobump!

Guest, the last post on this topic is over 30 days old and a new post will be considered as necrobumping!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Nekomata

Nekomata

The Sassiest Majespecter

• Members
  • 112 posts
    Last Visit Aug 14 2018 10:20 AM
  • Discord:Nekomata#3064

You remember Anti-Spell Fragrance, don't you? A card that has been released long time ago, and is being used even today to counter Pendulum decks. So, why not making an entire archetype out of it?
Here's the Spirit Fragrance Archetype, a place where you can smell lovely and unique aromas, focused on Spirit monsters and activating Continuous Traps.
Tell me what you think, because I think this deck wouldn't stand a day in the current meta :D

Monsters

Spells

Traps

Edited by Nekomata, 31 March 2018 - 02:39 AM.

Archetypes I've made so far

I'm also writing a Fanfiction! https://forum.yugioh...nion-cross-dpr/

Nekomata

Nekomata

The Sassiest Majespecter

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 112 posts

Bump

(Added a few monsters and made some changes)

Darj

Darj

Lost in a Dream

• Senior Members
  • 7,409 posts
    Last Visit Today, 07:57 AM

Not a fan of the archetype nor its approach, to be honest. Floodgates are annoying already; now making an entire archetype around them? Plus introducing cards as disruptive as Anti-Spell Fragrance, specifically the Anti-Monster that is practically a more flexible and searchable Lose-1-Turn? That's just asking for trouble.

Comments on individual cards:

Chamonille:

Is the lock intended to apply permanently, or only while the monster is face-up on the field?

Incense:

Basically a Gofu that eats your Normal Summon, huh. I can see this ensuing Link plays already.

Mimosa:

You can't actually Tribute opponent's monsters as cost; otherwise you would be able to sustain, let' say, Yubel, with opponent's monsters. You can do so as part of an effect, though.

Drops of Citron

Looks like more of an engine to be teched in other decks, like Nimble Beaver or TGU, that just so happens to benefit from Spirit Fragrance support. Not that it's bad, but could lead to some unintended uses.

Lavender & Jasmine

Best cards of the set IMO, if only for their ability to search for Anti-Spell and Anti-Monster Fragrances, floodgates capable of securing games on their own. Lavender is more splashable, but make-shifting some engine with Lavender and Jasmine can increase your chances of opening with a Fragrance and annoy the opponent as soon as possible.

Rose:

Seems there is a mistake with the effect because it adds a "Spirit Fragrance" Continuous Trap, but no such cards exist; "Spirit Fragrances" are only monsters.

Smoke:

Looks a bit unfair to me with the little recurring +1 pluses it generates by trading 1 monster for 2. The board stun may be a little too strong, too.

White Musk:

Not sure if it would be overpowered, but that grave effect could make the card an interesting pick for mill decks. the other effect should be fine, I guess.

Caramel:

Having the same effect twice but with different activation requirements... makes it look messy and a bit too flexible; not to mention you can use the effect twice in the same turn to draw 2 cards. I suggest to simplify it into a single effect.

Bewitching Perfume:

A bit questionable IMO because of its "free +1" nature that also doubles as a opponent's hand-killer, and thus gradually chipping away its resources.

Ultimate Fragrance

I find amusing how you patch up its "awesome but impractical" nature with that "discard to draw" deck thinning effect xD

Actually, I find odd you made these as Fairies when Plant would be more fitting, because of the flowery fragrances and also since "Fragrance Storm" is a thing.

All in all, a solid archetype except for the Anti-Spell and Anti-Monster Fragrances that give IMO an unfair edge; the Anti-Trap may not be that main-worthy but it does offer a favorable match-up vs. stuff like Paleozoics, making this archetype harder to fight back. I think 13 maindeck monsters are a bit too many for a functional archetype, as you can't realistically run them all in multiples, and you even have some redundancies like Lavender-Jasmine and Hyacinth-Mixture for swarming power, but I guess it's fine in this case because it offers options and allows the player to play around with 1 and 2-ofs and stuff.

Posted Image

— Don’t forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
— As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.

Stand

Posted ImagePosted Image
Credits: cat6757(dA) - Neko-Slay(dA)

Nekomata

Nekomata

The Sassiest Majespecter

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 112 posts

Thanks for the review.

Chamomile is "as long as you control at there is (at least) 1 face-up Fragrance Continuous Trap", so if you're running a pure Spirit Fragrance Deck, it means forever. As soon as your opponent Twin Twisters your Trap cards (and you have nothing left),  the card will unlock.

Incense is meant to be splashable. It's basically a free Missus Radiant, but it takes your Normal Summon.

I didn't know how to say its effect, I wanted it to take opponent's monsters as well, so I went for a Kaiju-style Tributing.

Same as Incense, Drops are splashable indeed. In the Zexal era it would've been overpowered, but right now it's fine.

Yeah, the Deck is annoying, I know. It's the ultimate -wait until I get my cards- lock Archetype. Some effects will slow down both players, though.

Rose is definitely a mistake. I've already fixed that. Thanks for noticing.

Smoke is a free +1, I know. But his effect doesn't do much in a pure Fragrance Deck, since it only negates stuff for a turn. This was also made so that people run the level 4 (Caramel, Rose and Hyacinth).

White Musk gives the Traps some protection. Also, there's already Fairy Tail Snow to change Battle Positions, maybe this might be a low cost alternative (but doesn't Book of Moon the opponent).

Bewitching Perfume is not a Fragrance card so it can't be searched, that's why it's a little overpowered. Also, if you Tribute a Level 3, it's a -1 (but it comes back, so it's a +0). Your opponent can negate it if you Tribute a Level 4, which would've been a +1, but negating it results in the +0 from before.

Ultimate Fragrance is an adorable card. It's extremely inconsistent, yet could be run at 3 just for the drawing effect.

I've chosen Fairies because I felt weird when I first saw Aroma cards being Plants. They don't look like Plants at all, they might've been Spellcasters.

The monsters should be the "Spirit" inside of a Fragrance, not the Plant that produces the Fragrance.

Btw, I would love to see this Deck in action. And maybe Anti-Monster is too strong. I've tried to fix it.

Darj

Darj

Lost in a Dream

• Senior Members
  • 7,409 posts

Incense can be a 1-card Link3 too if you decide to use it as material along the Tokens. IMO this is pushing it; I would prefer if it Summoned just 1 token, and even them I'm not sure because unlike TGU and Beaver it doesn't need any targets in the Deck or GY, in exchange of an inability to Xyz Summon.

Yeah, the Deck is annoying, I know. It's the ultimate -wait until I get my cards- lock Archetype. Some effects will slow down both players, though.

I bet there isn't really anything to wait. With 2 Fragrance Trap searchers and 2 extra Normal Summon cards plus Spirit support like Niki/Ara-tama I wouldn't be surprised if you could consistently search both Anti-Spell and Anti-Monster Fragrances as soon as in Turn1, and it goes downhill from there for the opponent.

Maybe Mixture should give just +1 Extra Normal Summon instead of 2...

Posted Image

— Don’t forget.
Always, somewhere,
you are not alone.

Stand

Posted ImagePosted Image

Nekomata

Nekomata

The Sassiest Majespecter

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 112 posts

Changed Incense so it can't be used as Material.

Mixture says "you can conduct 2 Normal Summons of Spirit Fragrance monsters", not "in addition to your Normal Summon/Set". It's meant to say "you can Summon 2 Spirit Fragrances, but no other monsters". It's basically a weak in-Archetype Double Summon with a recovery effect.

Darj

Darj

Lost in a Dream

• Senior Members
  • 7,409 posts

Mixture says "you can conduct 2 Normal Summons of Spirit Fragrance monsters", not "in addition to your Normal Summon/Set". It's meant to say "you can Summon 2 Spirit Fragrances, but no other monsters". It's basically a weak in-Archetype Double Summon with a recovery effect.

Oh, it's actually a watered down Double Summon, I see xD

Then it's just fine.

Posted Image

— Don’t forget.
Always, somewhere,
you are not alone.

Stand

Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic