[Written] Spirit Fragrance Archetype

Nekomata

You remember Anti-Spell Fragrance, don't you? A card that has been released long time ago, and is being used even today to counter Pendulum decks. So, why not making an entire archetype out of it?
Here's the Spirit Fragrance Archetype, a place where you can smell lovely and unique aromas, focused on Spirit monsters and activating Continuous Traps.
Tell me what you think, because I think this deck wouldn't stand a day in the current meta :D

[spoiler=Monsters]
Spirit Fragrance - Chamomile ATK 600 DEF 1200 3 Earth Fairy/Spirit
This card cannot be Special Summoned. This card returns to the owner's hand during the End Phase of the turn that it is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up. When this card is Normal Summoned: target one Set Spell/Trap card on the field, as long as there is a "Fragrance" Continuous Trap card face-up on your side of the field, that card cannot be activated.
Sit down and take a Chamomile tea. You don't need that card, do you?

Spirit Fragrance - Incense ATK 1200 DEF 1200 3 Earth Fairy/Spirit
This card cannot be Special Summoned. This card returns to the owner's hand during the End Phase of the turn that it is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up. When this card is Normal Summoned: Special Summon up to 2 "Spirit Fragrance Token" (ATK 0 DEF 0 level 3 EARTH Fairy-type). Those Tokens cannot be used as Synchro-material monsters. This card cannot be used as Material for a Summon.
Shall we spread a bit of Incense? This place needs more Fragrances.
EDIT: This card has been removed from the Archetype

Spirit Fragrance - Mimosa ATK 200 DEF 500 3 Earth Fairy/Spirit
This card cannot be Special Summoned. This card returns to the owner's hand during the End Phase of the turn that it is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up. You can tribute this card and a level 3 monster on the field: draw 1 card, and if the tributed monster was a monster on your side of the field, draw 1 more card.
Mimosa's Fragrance works so well with other Fragrances, but if I don't have one, will I borrow one of yours?

Spirit Fragrance - Lemon ATK 1300 DEF 600 3 Earth Fairy/Spirit
This card cannot be Special Summoned. This card returns to the owner's hand during the End Phase of the turn that it is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up. When this card is Normal Summoned: Add 1 "Spirit Fragrance" monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Spirit Fragrance - Lemon".
I'd like to prepare an infusion, but I don't have enough ingredients... let's start with Lemon...

Spirit Fragrance - Drops of Citron ATK 900 DEF 0 3 Earth Fairy/Spirit
This card cannot be Special Summoned, except by the effect of "Spirit Fragrance - Drops of Citron". This card returns to the owner's hand during the End Phase of the turn that it is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up. When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Spirit Fragrance - Drops of Citron" from your Deck or GY.
Oops, it looks like while squeezing my Citron, a few Drops have fallen... now the field is full of Drops...

Spirit Fragrance - Lavender ATK 1400 DEF 1600 3 Earth Fairy/Spirit
This card cannot be Special Summoned. This card returns to the owner's hand during the End Phase of the turn that it is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up. When this card is Normal Summoned: Add 1 "Fragrance" Continuous Trap card from your Deck to your hand.
Oh, try this: it smells so good, it's definitely going to attract more Fragrances.

Spirit Fragrance - Jasmine ATK 1000 DEF 500 3 Earth Fairy/Spirit
This card cannot be Special Summoned. This card returns to the owner's hand during the End Phase of the turn that it is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up. You can Tribute this card: Set or activate a "Fragrance" Continuous Trap card directly from your deck.
What a relaxing Fragrance. Why don't we mix it with another one and see what happens?

Spirit Fragrance - Lily of the Valley ATK 800 DEF 1000 3 Earth Fairy/Spirit
This card cannot be Special Summoned. This card returns to the owner's hand during the End Phase of the turn that it is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up. This card can attack your opponent directly. If this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent, you can reveal a "Fragrance" card in your hand: next turn, your opponent cannot Special Summon or Set monsters.
This Fragrance is perfect alone, why would you ruin it with Summoning other smelly monsters?

EDIT: Effect changed to: While this card is on your field, all "Spirit Fragrance" monsters can attack your opponent directly.

Spirit Fragrance - Hyacinth ATK 1800 DEF 1500 4 Earth Fairy/Spirit
This card cannot be Special Summoned. This card returns to the owner's hand during the End Phase of the turn that it is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up. If this card is Normal Summoned, this turn, you can Normal Summon another "Spirit Fragrance" monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set (you can only gain this effect once per turn).
Oh, this one is so intense, I'm sure it will need another Fragrance to cool down its aroma.

Spirit Fragrance - Rose ATK 1400 DEF 1000 3 Earth Fairy/Spirit
This card cannot be Special Summoned. This card returns to the owner's hand during the End Phase of the turn that it is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up. While this card remains face-up on the field, you can activate "Fragrance" Continuous Trap cards from your hand. If this card is sent to the GY: You can add a "Fragrance" Continuous Trap card from your GY to your hand.
Can't you smell it? So delicate, every Fragrance wants to join too!

Spirit Fragrance - Smoke ATK 200 DEF 400 2 Earth Fairy/Spirit

This card cannot be Special Summoned. This card returns to the owner's hand during the End Phase of the turn that it is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up. If you control a "Spirit Fragrance" monster, you can discard this card (Quick Effect): negate the effects of all face-up cards until the end of the turn. If this card is in your GY and a "Spirit Fragrance" monster is sent to the GY, you can target 1 face-up Continuous Trap card on the field: Destroy it, and if you do, add this card from your GY to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Spirit Fragrance - Smoke" once per turn.

Oh God! Who did this? The Fragrances are so... odourless, and there's a terrible stink of Smoke.

EDIT: Changed the GY effect of Smoke.

Spirit Fragrance - White Musk ATK 400 DEF 200 2 Earth Fairy/Spirit

This card cannot be Special Summoned. This card returns to the owner's hand during the End Phase of the turn that it is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up. If you control a "Spirit Fragrance" monster, (Quick Effect) you can discard this card: this turn, face-up "Fragrance" cards you control are unaffected by your opponent's Spell/Trap cards. You can banish this card from your GY (Quick Effect): Change the Battle Position of 1 monster on the field.

White Musk is going to create a new cover of aroma to protect the other Fragrances. What a nice Fragrance.

Spirit Fragrance - Caramel ATK 1600 DEF 900 4 Earth Fairy/Spirit
This card cannot be Special Summoned. This card returns to the owner's hand during the End Phase of the turn that it is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up. Once per turn, you can select 3 "Fragrance" Trap cards in your GY: shuffle all 3 into your deck, then draw 1 card. If this card is sent to the GY: select 3 "Spirit Fragrance" monsters in your GY, including this card, shuffle all 3 into your deck, then draw 1 card.
Ok, we've been through many scents and perfumes, now it's time to sit down for a while and see how many Fragrances we used.

Spirit Fragrance - Chocolate ATK 2000 DEF 1600 rank 3, Earth Fairy/Spirit/XYZ

2 level 3 monsters

This card cannot be Special Summoned, except by XYZ Summoning. This card returns to the owner's Extra Deck during the End Phase of the turn that it is Summoned. You can detach one overlay unit from this card: select one "Fragrance" card in your GY, shuffle it into your deck, and if you do, add a "Fragrance" Continuous Trap card from your Deck to your hand.

Ladies and gentlemen, the final fragrance, with unlimited relaxing powers and flavours: Chocolate.

EDIT: New card (This Deck had no form of removal)

Spirit Fragrance - King of the Lost Fragrance ATK 2200 DEF 1200 rank 3, Earth Fairy/Spirit/XYZ

3 Level 3 Spirit monsters

This card cannot be Special Summoned, except by XYZ Summoning. This card returns to the owner's Extra Deck during the End Phase of the turn that it is Summoned. When this card is XYZ Summoned, you can target cards on the field up to the number of Continuous Trap cards wiith different names on your field: Destroy them. You can detach 1 XYZ Material from this card and target 1 face-up card on your field (Quick Effect): Banish it until the end of the turn.

The ruler of the Pure World of Fragrance, who controls Fragrances at his will, able to remove the perfume from Fragrances and enemies.

[spoiler=Spells]
Pure World of Fragrance FIELD SPELL
You can reveal 2 "Fragrance" cards in your hand: add a "Fragrance" card from your deck to your hand. You can activate this effect of "Pure World of Fragrance" once per turn. "Spirit Fragrance" monsters gain 300 ATK and DEF and don't have to have their effect that returns them to the hand activated. If a face-up Continuous Trap card(s) you control is destroyed while this card is on the field: draw 1 card for each.
Everyone knows that the key for a perfect recipe is having all of the ingredients. Possibly on the field.

Bewitching Perfume NORMAL SPELL
Tribute or discard a "Spirit Fragrance" monster. Your opponent discards a number of cards equal to the level of the tributed monster -2. Your opponent can tribute one monster on his side of the field to negate this card's effect. If you control a "Spirit Fragrance" monster and this card is in your GY: you can add this card from your GY to your hand. You cannot Special Summon any monsters the turn you activate this effect. You can use each effect of "Bewitching Perfume" once per turn.
Smelling a Fragrance always requires a cost. Will you pay with cards, or with monsters?

Fragrance Creation NORMAL SPELL
Add 1 "Spirit Fragrance" monster from your Deck to your hand. You cannot Special Summon any monsters the turn you activate this effect. You can banish this card from your GY (Quick Effect): This turn, "Fragrance" cards are unaffected by your opponent's Spell cards.
Emergency! We've run out of Fragrances!

Fragrance Mixture NORMAL SPELL
This turn, you can conduct 2 Normal Summons of "Spirit Fragrance" monsters. You can banish this card from your GY: target a "Fragrance" card banished or in your GY, add it to your hand.
Ok, let's try a new mixture. I'd like... Mimosa and Incense? Oh, I know: Jasmine and Lily of the Valley.

[spoiler=Traps]

WARNING: The following card does exist in the game. I just put it here so you don't have to search it on the Wikia.

Anti-Spell Fragrance CONTINUOUS TRAP

Both players must Set Spell Cards before activating them, and cannot activate them until their next turn after Setting them.

Anti-Trap Fragrance CONTINUOUS TRAP

Both players cannot activate Trap Cards the turn after Setting them.

Anti-Monster Fragrance CONTINUOUS TRAP

Both players cannot Normal Summon monsters, except Spirit monsters. Both players' monsters cannot activate their effects the turn they're Special Summoned.

EDIT: Changed its effect: Both players cannot Normal Summon Level 4 or higher monsters. Both players cannot Special Summon monsters in Attack Position.

Anti-Attack Fragrance CONTINUOUS TRAP

Both players' monsters cannot declare an attack the turn they are Summoned, except Spirit monsters. Face-up monsters on the field cannot change their Battle Position.

Anti-Destruction Fragrance CONTINUOUS TRAP

The first time each "Fragrance" card you control would be destroyed by battle or card effects each turn, it is not destroyed.

Pure Fragrance Draw NORMAL TRAP

You can only activate this card if there are at least 2 face-up Continuous Trap cards on your side of the field. Tribute or discard a "Spirit Fragrance" monster. Draw 1 card and add a "Fragrance" Spell/Trap card from your Deck to your hand.

Ultimate Fragrance NORMAL TRAP

You can discard this card and 1 "Spirit Fragrance" monster in your hand: Draw 1 card. You can only activate this effect of "Ultimate Fragrance" once per turn. If there are 5 "Fragrance" Continuous Trap cards with different names on your side of the field, you can banish this card from your GY: Shuffle all cards in your opponent's side of the field into their Deck.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a fan of the archetype nor its approach, to be honest. Floodgates are annoying already; now making an entire archetype around them? Plus introducing cards as disruptive as Anti-Spell Fragrance, specifically the Anti-Monster that is practically a more flexible and searchable Lose-1-Turn? That's just asking for trouble.

Comments on individual cards:

Chamonille:

Is the lock intended to apply permanently, or only while the monster is face-up on the field?

Incense:

Basically a Gofu that eats your Normal Summon, huh. I can see this ensuing Link plays already.

Mimosa:

You can't actually Tribute opponent's monsters as cost; otherwise you would be able to sustain, let' say, Yubel, with opponent's monsters. You can do so as part of an effect, though.

Drops of Citron

Looks like more of an engine to be teched in other decks, like Nimble Beaver or TGU, that just so happens to benefit from Spirit Fragrance support. Not that it's bad, but could lead to some unintended uses.

Lavender & Jasmine

Best cards of the set IMO, if only for their ability to search for Anti-Spell and Anti-Monster Fragrances, floodgates capable of securing games on their own. Lavender is more splashable, but make-shifting some engine with Lavender and Jasmine can increase your chances of opening with a Fragrance and annoy the opponent as soon as possible.

Rose:

Seems there is a mistake with the effect because it adds a "Spirit Fragrance" Continuous Trap, but no such cards exist; "Spirit Fragrances" are only monsters.

Smoke:

Looks a bit unfair to me with the little recurring +1 pluses it generates by trading 1 monster for 2. The board stun may be a little too strong, too.

White Musk:

Not sure if it would be overpowered, but that grave effect could make the card an interesting pick for mill decks. the other effect should be fine, I guess.

Caramel:

Having the same effect twice but with different activation requirements... makes it look messy and a bit too flexible; not to mention you can use the effect twice in the same turn to draw 2 cards. I suggest to simplify it into a single effect.

Bewitching Perfume:

A bit questionable IMO because of its "free +1" nature that also doubles as a opponent's hand-killer, and thus gradually chipping away its resources.

Ultimate Fragrance

I find amusing how you patch up its "awesome but impractical" nature with that "discard to draw" deck thinning effect xD

Actually, I find odd you made these as Fairies when Plant would be more fitting, because of the flowery fragrances and also since "Fragrance Storm" is a thing.

All in all, a solid archetype except for the Anti-Spell and Anti-Monster Fragrances that give IMO an unfair edge; the Anti-Trap may not be that main-worthy but it does offer a favorable match-up vs. stuff like Paleozoics, making this archetype harder to fight back. I think 13 maindeck monsters are a bit too many for a functional archetype, as you can't realistically run them all in multiples, and you even have some redundancies like Lavender-Jasmine and Hyacinth-Mixture for swarming power, but I guess it's fine in this case because it offers options and allows the player to play around with 1 and 2-ofs and stuff.

Thanks for the review.

Chamomile is "as long as you control at there is (at least) 1 face-up Fragrance Continuous Trap", so if you're running a pure Spirit Fragrance Deck, it means forever. As soon as your opponent Twin Twisters your Trap cards (and you have nothing left),  the card will unlock.

Incense is meant to be splashable. It's basically a free Missus Radiant, but it takes your Normal Summon.

I didn't know how to say its effect, I wanted it to take opponent's monsters as well, so I went for a Kaiju-style Tributing.

Same as Incense, Drops are splashable indeed. In the Zexal era it would've been overpowered, but right now it's fine.

Yeah, the Deck is annoying, I know. It's the ultimate -wait until I get my cards- lock Archetype. Some effects will slow down both players, though.

Rose is definitely a mistake. I've already fixed that. Thanks for noticing.

Smoke is a free +1, I know. But his effect doesn't do much in a pure Fragrance Deck, since it only negates stuff for a turn. This was also made so that people run the level 4 (Caramel, Rose and Hyacinth).

White Musk gives the Traps some protection. Also, there's already Fairy Tail Snow to change Battle Positions, maybe this might be a low cost alternative (but doesn't Book of Moon the opponent).

Bewitching Perfume is not a Fragrance card so it can't be searched, that's why it's a little overpowered. Also, if you Tribute a Level 3, it's a -1 (but it comes back, so it's a +0). Your opponent can negate it if you Tribute a Level 4, which would've been a +1, but negating it results in the +0 from before.

Ultimate Fragrance is an adorable card. It's extremely inconsistent, yet could be run at 3 just for the drawing effect.

I've chosen Fairies because I felt weird when I first saw Aroma cards being Plants. They don't look like Plants at all, they might've been Spellcasters.

The monsters should be the "Spirit" inside of a Fragrance, not the Plant that produces the Fragrance.

Btw, I would love to see this Deck in action. And maybe Anti-Monster is too strong. I've tried to fix it.

Incense can be a 1-card Link3 too if you decide to use it as material along the Tokens. IMO this is pushing it; I would prefer if it Summoned just 1 token, and even them I'm not sure because unlike TGU and Beaver it doesn't need any targets in the Deck or GY, in exchange of an inability to Xyz Summon.

Yeah, the Deck is annoying, I know. It's the ultimate -wait until I get my cards- lock Archetype. Some effects will slow down both players, though.

I bet there isn't really anything to wait. With 2 Fragrance Trap searchers and 2 extra Normal Summon cards plus Spirit support like Niki/Ara-tama I wouldn't be surprised if you could consistently search both Anti-Spell and Anti-Monster Fragrances as soon as in Turn1, and it goes downhill from there for the opponent.

Maybe Mixture should give just +1 Extra Normal Summon instead of 2...

Changed Incense so it can't be used as Material.

Mixture says "you can conduct 2 Normal Summons of Spirit Fragrance monsters", not "in addition to your Normal Summon/Set". It's meant to say "you can Summon 2 Spirit Fragrances, but no other monsters". It's basically a weak in-Archetype Double Summon with a recovery effect.

Mixture says "you can conduct 2 Normal Summons of Spirit Fragrance monsters", not "in addition to your Normal Summon/Set". It's meant to say "you can Summon 2 Spirit Fragrances, but no other monsters". It's basically a weak in-Archetype Double Summon with a recovery effect.

Oh, it's actually a watered down Double Summon, I see xD

Then it's just fine.

Archived