[Sakura 35K] Fēngbàoshén the Sacred Blade Dragon

1L8ftvP.jpg

Fēngbàoshén the Sacred Blade Dragon

Level 10 | WIND | Dragon | Synchro | Effect

3500/2500
1 Tuner + 1 non-Tuner Synchro Monster
Must be Synchro Summoned. ① Cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects. ② Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can target 1 card your opponent controls or in their GY; banish it, face-down.

(If any adjustments are made, then defer to the written data because it is a legitimate pain reuploading the card on Imgur and stuff. I would've liked to have linked this from my Wikia, but YCM is sheet at loading images from there if you guys noticed by now.)

=====

"35K post card; nothing more I should really say that deviates from the point of me making this."

Before anyone asks, yes, I borrowed another picture from CFV for this.

You can find the image here.

=====

[spoiler=You know what goes in here]

Card is intended to deal with Decks that either trigger effects during your turn (which a lot of Decks, such as True Draco with the Level 5/6 users + their backrow, Magibullets with their trigger from hand thing, etc) or Graveyard reliance. Basically, hit their cards and they cannot retrieve them later.

At the same time, I do have my concerns about this being a face-down banish equivalent of Drancia with added GY punching; even with the 2-material requirements needed to even summon it in the first place [considering that whatever's in the EMZ better be putting in some work]. Originally wanted to have it be unchainable, but voted against it later on because of amount of times I had to put up with Drancia in mirrors. Making it during your own turn effect will make it not worth running, though I'm still considering ways to make it work.

Protection effect is on there, so yeah, you can't get sniped by common removal after spending resources.

Name is Chinese for "storm god" (was going to be storm god blade [add "dao"] to be a partial reference to the CFV card that I borrowed the pic from, but name was too long).

(If you don't want to read the notes, keep the spoiler closed)

=====

Anyway, you know what to do already.

I will give reps to those of you who review properly.

You forgot to put a once per turn on the (2) effect. I will review as if there was a once per turn.

Anyway, card is really fantastic. I think perhaps the easiest way to make it is using Ancient Fairy Dragon to summon one of your Ghost Handtraps. Other than that, what is there to say? It wrecks True Draco better than Beelze does. Crystal WIng kind of shits on it, but if you have this out first you can use its effect to stop them Summoning it. I think that the best card we have to use against this right now is Decode Talker, although Dino decks have Ultimate Conductor Tyranno. 

Yeah, the card is fair and not too difficult to make or out. It's not Masterpeace, and it's not Drident. I'd actually compare it to ABC Dragon Buster, a bit harder to make, but has 500 more ATK and has targeting protection during your turn too. However, it dies to Raigeki etc more than ABC does. If you could make this using the Level 1 Windwitch Tuner, it'd be incredible, but I can't think of a way to do that, since you'd need a Level 9 Synchro.

Yeah, it's supposed to be OPT; must've forgotten to put that wording back when I decided to go soft OPT instead of the hard one I originally thought of for a while.

Fixed.

Then again, I have been test running a lot of True Draco lately on YGOPro due to limitations (and watching the featured matches on the Worlds live stream certainly showed what they can do). A lot of common bosses and removal hit on this, yes, but you can't block everything (even though they're prominent and need to be factored).

I really like this card too. It's powerful and useful especially against decks that are common nowadays (True Draco, Zoodiac, Invoked) since it can not only quick remove problem cards, but also remove GY resources to disrupt, like preventing Master Peace's effect or getting rid of Invocation. It's not too powerful though, especially with lots of non-targeting removal being around, and bosses like Master Peace Ultimate Conductor Tyranno or Crystal Wing can remove this card fairly easily with the right setup.

They're not in the Meta anymore, but I think a deck that would highly appreciate this is Blue-Eyes since they're a little lacking in reliable removal effects, especially quick effects (Xyz lineup mostly works on your turn, and Synchros protect). They're probably the deck with the easiest way to summon this too, since their Synchros are mainly Level 9 (Azure-Eyes, Blue-Eyes Spirit). The only other Synchro they usually chain into is Crystal Wing, but that requires a lot of work with Blue-Eyes Spirit surviving a turn and going into Michael and then summoning another Tuner. Azure-Eyes doesn't do much after its initial Summon except be a beatstick, but if they had this card, they could drop an Azure during the opponent's turn, then synchro into this afterwards. The extra 500 ATK compared to other monsters in the deck is nice to have too.

Crystal WIng kind of shits on it

This might be too much on the experimental side, but if you're interested in buffing its effect to go head to head with Crystal Wing without completely overpowering it. I thought of something:
[spoiler=Weird Effect]If this effect is activated, this card cannot be destroyed by activated effects with a higher Chain Link during that Chain.

^^ It would still have its activation negated, but wouldn't get destroyed.

Edit: Replaced Master Peace with Ultimate Conductor Tyranno. I forgot that it had targeting immunity while writing this... oops. Maybe you could true draco apocalypse it? ^.^

Master Peace targets though, which this card cannot be. (Though at the same time, most times Master Peace comes out with monster immunity so you'd have to kill it in battle with this). Crystal Wing just negates this if it triggers, but that's just something we have to live with.

Suggestion could work (and probably would block Strike and other stuff; er, may want to check on the former to an extent [should be fine]). I did consider giving it Majespecter-style protection (with destruction immunity too), but then we'd have the issue of it being near impossible to remove outside of battle, Exa-Beetle (or whatever can remove cards without triggering targeting/destruction protection) and so forth (or you get lucky with Strike on its summoning). 

Probably should be okay.

====

(Also asking self how it took 3 hours for me to finish this post; likely due to getting sidetracked)

Overall a very powerful card and I really like it. It seems appropriate to compare it to Drident and Master Peace. Apologies for the wall of text.

(1) The Quick Effect is a solid stun. It banishes face-down (best removal in the game), it doesn't care what card it banishes (Drident can only hit face-up cards, and both it and Peace can only hit cards on the field), and it doesn't require a special cost or condition to be met, so the effect is live at all times.

(2) The immunity is very good, and fine as is. There are a number of cards that can kill this, but there are even more that can't because of this effect. If your opponent doesn't out this card the minute it shows up, it can do some serious damage. Giving it a Majespecter clause honestly would've been pushing it for the reason below.

(3) This card is generic, and only requires that it first be Synchro Summoned (unless you forgot to put in a "and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways" clause, in which case this entire point in invalid). If it dies, you can just revive it and it'll be live again. For comparison, if you revive Peace, it will lose its effect since it was not Tribute Summoned. Similarly, Drident won't be able to use its effect if it's revived (you could overlay another Drident on top of it, but that still requires shooting through an extra hoop).

(4) It's WIND. The WIND Synchro pool is pretty small. Speedroid could make this first turn if they wanted to with a variation of the Windwitch combo (just replace Snow Bell with a Level 3 Tuner), though I'm not sure they would want to (b/c Crystal Wing). Also it's WIND, so Metaltron can float into this.

The only gripe I have with this card is that any Deck that could make this card would probably just want to make Crystal Wing instead. Both have the same requirements, but Crystal is two Levels lower and arguably gets more bang for its buck (so to speak).

Archived