Great American Eclipse 2017

cr47t

So I know I'm a little late, but what are your thoughts on the eclipse? Are you going to see it? Have you already? Did you enjoy it?

One thing I am doing to kind-of view the eclipse (b/c I didnt buy the glasses) is using a colander and viewing the effect of the eclipse through the shadows (or lack thereof) that shine through the colander.

Discuss.

What's so "great" about it anyway? It's just an eclipse

Solar eclipses are quite rare, let alone those that are total solar eclipses viewable in well-populated areas.

Yeah, the next complete eclipse visiable from the US is gonna be in 2024 iirc. 

2024 but the path of totality will only be slicing through Maine, not the center of the country.

I'm in New England where the eclipse has already started and will hit peak (at about 70% occlusion of the sun) in about 40 minutes.  You can already see the moon eclipsing the sun (using a pinhole viewer).  It's pretty cool!

Can confirm its really awesome. Brought a pair of eclipse glasses to work today and I can legit see the moon slooooooowly covering the sun. We're only supoosed to see roughly 75% coverage here in Jersey, but seeing the sun look like pac man is pretty exciting

This. I mean if you've seen one eclipse, you've seen them all.

First off, that's just untrue. There are tons of variables that affect how it will appear.

Second off... so? It is the kind of thing that you can't feel the full weight of unless you are seeing it with your own eyes, and seeing something you enjoy multiple times is just part of the experience.

Have you never rewatched a movie you like? Read book you have read before? Just because you are familiar with something doesn't diminish the experience.

Kinda strange how the people going "who cares" are people who aren't even in the area where the eclipse was visible :thinking:

T was raining here with short breaks in the clouds to see the eclipse.

But the best part was the twilight induced by the eclipse. That... was the most breathtaking sight I've ever seen, and the rain clouds actually made it all the better.

The sight of the eclipse's twilight fills me with DETERMINATIONZ

First off, that's just untrue. There are tons of variables that affect how it will appear.

Second off... so? It is the kind of thing that you can't feel the full weight of unless you are seeing it with your own eyes, and seeing something you enjoy multiple times is just part of the experience.

Have you never rewatched a movie you like? Read book you have read before? Just because you are familiar with something doesn't diminish the experience.

Kinda strange how the people going "who cares" are people who aren't even in the area where the eclipse was visible :thinking:

First off, it was a figure of speech

Second off, you're right. I'm not in the area and it doesn't feel the same watching it via a livestream, so I just shrugged it off.

I didn't get to see it; well, because Hawai'i wasn't in the path of the total eclipse. Think we did get a PARTIAL one this morning, but likely was still asleep at the time or on the bus going to college and couldn't feel it [or not on the Big Island, where we did get one in 1991].

(Yeah, we get the short end of the stick over here.)

====

It was cloudy for about 1-2 minutes though...so, idk. 

I'm not trying to sheet on by asking why it's called "great". It's just if you're getting another one in 7 years, and that one will also be called "great", doesn't it seem like hyperbole?

Maybe I phrased my original point badly.

Just asking what's special about this eclipse that makes it worthy of the epithet that other eclipses aren't worthy of, seemingly.

And for the record, the UK has just had a very nice solar eclipse in March 2015 that I saw very well from the courtyard of my mental health ward where I was staying at the time. I even wore my special rainbow underpants that day, deliberately. Afterward, me and another inmate patient successfully resurrected a woodlouse with magic.

I'm not trying to sheet on by asking why it's called "great". It's just if you're getting another one in 7 years, and that one will also be called "great", doesn't it seem like hyperbole?

Maybe I phrased my original point badly.

Just asking what's special about this eclipse that makes it worthy of the epithet that other eclipses aren't worthy of, seemingly.

And for the record, the UK has just had a very nice solar eclipse in March 2015 that I saw very well from the courtyard of my mental health ward where I was staying at the time. I even wore my special rainbow underpants that day, deliberately. Afterward, me and another inmate patient successfully resurrected a woodlouse with magic.

The path of this particular eclipse goes all the way across the continental US, giving far more people an opportunity to see it than most solar eclipses (which are quite rare themselves).

Archived