Mystery Ghost Dragons (A Wyrm-LV to Surpass Ancient Gear) (3/3)

Black D'Sceptyr

Welcome back to the BlaDeS of Change Children's Card Game Television Workshop.

Here on our starting showroom floor for my first Multiples set of 2017, we have the uniting of the formerly newest Type of Yu-Gi-Oh, Wyrms, being brought in with the second most resource-intensive Monster series in Yu-Gi-Oh, just above Flip and just below Spirits.....GEMINIS!

Of course, there's also the small add-on that this monster, ladies and gentlemen, is an elaborated tale on the obscure origins of the dimension-hopping "Mystery Shell Dragon", and what lies underneath it's hallucination-inducing skin. Oh yes, fellas, we're about to go from the protective to the phantasmagorical today with this feature!!

And now I present to you "the way to make Red-Eyes Geminis go up a tier in three simple steps!"

Step 1:

mystery_ghost_dragon_lv4_by_bdsceptyr-db

[spoiler=Mystery Ghost Dragon LV4: Info]

DARK/Wyrm-Type Gemini Effect Monster/Level 4/2000 ATK/0 DEF

his card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the GY. While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it become an Effect Monster with these effects.
• Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 DARK Dragon or Wyrm monster from your hand.
• When a card or effect on the field is activated that targets this face-up card, or if this Attack Position card is targeted for an attack (Quick Effect): You can send this card from the field to the GY, and if you do
, Special Summon 1 "Mystery Ghost Dragon LV6" from your hand or Deck. That monster is treated as an Effect Monster and gains its effects.

Step 2:

mystery_ghost_dragon_lv6_by_bdsceptyr-db

[spoiler=Mystery Ghost Dragon LV6: Info]DARK/Wyrm-Type Gemini Effect Monster/Level 6/2500 ATK/500 DEF

Lore: This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the GY. While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it become an Effect Monster with these effects.
• Once per turn, if this card was Normal Summoned or Special Summoned by a"LV" card effect this turn (Quick Effect): You can Special Summon 1 Normal Monster from your hand or Deck.

• Your opponent must make their monsters on the field lose exactly 500 ATK and DEF for those monsters to target a DARK Dragon or Wyrm monster you control for an attack or effect.

STEP 3:

hallucinogenic_aura_by_bdsceptyr-dbl6wd0

[spoiler=Hallucinogenic Aura: Info]

Quick-Play Spell Card

All DARK Wyrm and Dragon monsters you currently control are unaffected by an opponent's monster effects this turn. You can banish this card from your GY to target 1 DARK Wyrm or Dragon monster in your GY, then target 1 monster on the field with less ATK than the first target; return the first target to the hand, and if you do, change the second target's battle position. You can only use each effect of "Hallucinogenic Aura" per turn.

May the reviews come in even more dazzling flair than these relics.

BDS, signing off.

So you're retraining Mystery Shell Dragon? The lore behind is cool, but wouldn't Luster Dragon would've probably made more sense with the LV mechanic since there's already a LV 4 and a LV 6? They're a lot older so they would probably be more welcome to be adapted into Wyrm monsters. The stat line is a bit better, so mechanically speaking it makes more sense, but tbh I miss old cards like that. 

The fact that you gave the card Normal Monster on curve stats is probably the biggest slap in the face I've ever seen to Gemini monsters, as in having a Gemini effect is about the same value as having the Normal sub-type. Not going to lie, I find this to be one of the more honest realizations of Gemini monsters, in that the effects have just as much worth as not having them at all.

But then, you did the genius thing of combining LV and Gemini. Gemini monsters usually take a turn but can be exploited, just like LV monsters. That in itself has a lot of potential. However, I have a couple problems I'd like to address with each card review.

With Mystery Ghost Dragon LV4, the opponent is probably not going to even try after the Gemini Summon. They're probably only going to allow you to LV up when they can deal with the LV 6. Also, the fact that it negates the effects that target it means you can't intentionally use the effect. If it didn't say negate, you could've had it where you could use your card effects to target it so you could force out the LV up. I would rather it not negate and then include all kinds of card effects, including Spells and Traps so you can use HallucinogenicAura (at least the banish effect), and then LV up before it can be returned to the hand.

The LV 6 is also a bit strange, since it can Special Summon Normal Monster, but not Gemini Monsters. I guess you might've been scared to include an effect that can Special Summon the monster you just Tributed to Special Summon it, but I don't think people are going to run Gemini monsters with Normal Monsters unless it's Red-Eyes or Blue-Eyes, and Blue-Eyes can't use Hallucinogenic Aura. I would go back to the LV4 and say "Special Summon 1 DARK Dragon" monster from your hand or Deck. Most of the good ones are Nomi anyway, so I don't think that should be too good, but if it is you can always add some Level restrictions. The LV 6's second effect is a bit underpowered, since targeting in itself isn't as common as it used to, and even a bit redundant/mean in combination with Hallucinogenic Aura. Although it does include attacks, so it could be helpful, but I can only imagine the amount of Spell/Trap effects.

Hallucinogenic Aura itself seems more of just a tech card for Red-Eyes. Not a big problem, but it's probably better for Red-Eyes than these cards. These have Monster Effect protection already. They're fine. You could probably go with the Evilswarm Infestation route and give the Spell/Trap protection instead, or if you went with previous recommendations you could have it target 1 or 2 monsters instead of affecting all of your monsters since then it could trigger the Mystery Ghost Dragon LV4's Level up effect.

Surpass Ancient Gears? I don't think you're going to be able to do that with just 3 cards, let alone with their boss monsters. I will say your idea was a lot cooler than what Chemicritters was offering, and that the negation effects are technically better than your typical Ancient Gear monster in this meta. I can say the idea is good, but I don't think it's fully realized. 

With Mystery Ghost Dragon LV4, the opponent is probably not going to even try after the Gemini Summon. They're probably only going to allow you to LV up when they can deal with the LV 6. Also, the fact that it negates the effects that target it means you can't intentionally use the effect. If it didn't say negate, you could've had it where you could use your card effects to target it so you could force out the LV up. I would rather it not negate and then include all kinds of card effects, including Spells and Traps so you can use HallucinogenicAura (at least the banish effect), and then LV up before it can be returned to the hand.

The LV 6 is also a bit strange, since it can Special Summon Normal Monster, but not Gemini Monsters. I guess you might've been scared to include an effect that can Special Summon the monster you just Tributed to Special Summon it, but I don't think people are going to run Gemini monsters with Normal Monsters unless it's Red-Eyes or Blue-Eyes, and Blue-Eyes can't use Hallucinogenic Aura. I would go back to the LV4 and say "Special Summon 1 DARK Dragon" monster from your hand or Deck. Most of the good ones are Nomi anyway, so I don't think that should be too good, but if it is you can always add some Level restrictions. The LV 6's second effect is a bit underpowered, since targeting in itself isn't as common as it used to, and even a bit redundant/mean in combination with Hallucinogenic Aura. Although it does include attacks, so it could be helpful, but I can only imagine the amount of Spell/Trap effects.

Hallucinogenic Aura itself seems more of just a tech card for Red-Eyes. Not a big problem, but it's probably better for Red-Eyes than these cards. These have Monster Effect protection already. They're fine. You could probably go with the Evilswarm Infestation route and give the Spell/Trap protection instead, or if you went with previous recommendations you could have it target 1 or 2 monsters instead of affecting all of your monsters since then it could trigger the Mystery Ghost Dragon LV4's Level up effect.

Surpass Ancient Gears? I don't think you're going to be able to do that with just 3 cards, let alone with their boss monsters. I will say your idea was a lot cooler than what Chemicritters was offering, and that the negation effects are technically better than your typical Ancient Gear monster in this meta. I can say the idea is good, but I don't think it's fully realized. 

The Ancient Gear thing was just to play up a pun. But the rest of your suggestions are stellar and I shall see to making them real immediately.

Also, this isn't the only part of the set-there is another under a far more pun-tastic title I put in a part of the site sure to give it scathing review. If you wish to drop a comment on that one, feel free, mate. I love the input.

Archived