[OCG] Code Talker

Code-Talker.jpg

A new promo for a new event held at Japanese card shops

Code Talker

LINK-2 DARK Cyberse/Link/Effect
ATK/1300 Arrows: Up/Down
2 Effect Monsters
Gains 500 ATK for each monster it points to. This card cannot be destroyed by battle, or by an opponent’s card effect, while it points to a monster.

I am actually pretty mad they made this card not a part of the archetype. Seriously the archetype is "code Talker" which means this card isn't going to be there when code Talker becomes the next Junk archetype.

first off these are the Synchro Warriors, not junk

secondly it's based on JP Text.

コード・トーカー

It's a "Code Talker".

in archetype link 2 is handy i guess. it meant to be played with Recoded Alive during your opponent turn without worrying their plays to much so on your next turn you can simply return whatever you banish with recoded and then you can use this card to make another Link either "by itself" or using that returned monster

i find it funny that the art implies that this is basically the prototype for all Code Talker Monster being wearing much simpler armor that lacking any striking-colored paint job

more notable is a Burning Abyss link and

GLAD BEAST LINK

I'm lost at this. Sure, this is a generic EM Zone Link2, but BAs will still self-destruct plus they kind of can access Akashic Magician already, which has the same pointer positions; while Glad Beasts would prefer a Link2 with its 2 pointers towards the player's side for Tamer Editor plays and whatnot. If you are going to spend 2 Glads on this... you may as well go for a Gyzarus or a Rank4, or am I missing something?

I'm lost at this. Sure, this is a generic EM Zone Link2, but BAs will still self-destruct plus they kind of can access Akashic Magician already, which has the same pointer positions; while Glad Beasts would prefer a Link2 with its 2 pointers towards the player's side for Tamer Editor plays and whatnot. If you are going to spend 2 Glads on this... you may as well go for a Gyzarus or a Rank4, or am I missing something?

BAs self-destruct if you control a non-BA monster. If the Link Monster is a "Burning Abyss" monster, then you can safely Summon the Malebranches while controlling a Link Monster. Also, depending on if it gets a Nomi clause or not, it could be revivable by Cir, which is always nice for Link laddering and the like.

And that's just what's implied by the name. If it has an effect, which it will, it could be a very good card indeed.

As for GBs, I too am confused about how they are supposed to Summon it and then still have the resources to Contact Fuse, but hey, maybe they'll make it reallllly good.

BAs self-destruct if you control a non-BA monster. If the Link Monster is a "Burning Abyss" monster, then you can safely Summon the Malebranches while controlling a Link Monster. Also, depending on if it gets a Nomi clause or not, it could be revivable by Cir, which is always nice for Link laddering and the like.

And that's just what's implied by the name. If it has an effect, which it will, it could be a very good card indeed.

As for GBs, I too am confused about how they are supposed to Summon it and then still have the resources to Contact Fuse, but hey, maybe they'll make it reallllly good.

Yes, I know that. But this thread is about Code Talker, not a BA Link Monster, also IDK where are the rumors or leaks about said BA Link.

Ah, think I got it now: Black was referring to said rumors/leaks/whatever, not to Code Talker here, huh.

In all this is quite a nice base card of the other Code Talkers where this is generally a semi indestructible 1800 ATK Link Monster that can ladder you into any of the Link 3 code Talkers. Plus it does give off that sort of Junk Synchron homage with it since it acts as the key material to making Decode Talker. (Still its kind of a shame Konami didn't print this in the 2017 Starter Deck as it would of been super useful as apart of introducing Links.)

Yes, I know that. But this thread is about Code Talker, not a BA Link Monster, also IDK where are the rumors or leaks about said BA Link.

Ah, think I got it now: Black was referring to said rumors/leaks/whatever, not to Code Talker here, huh.

BA and GB getting links isn't a leak or a rumour, it's official news.

Source: http://yu-gi-oh.jp/news_2017082801.php

and just in case you don't understand Japanese: https://ygorganization.com/are-you-ready-for-more/

On topic: If it didn't point up, it could be a good Extra Link thing. But as is, I don't see much of a point to this card.

Some notes:

1. This is probably why Recoded Alive must banish a Link 3 to summon a "Code Talker" monster, so you cannot use it and this to cheat out a Link 3 Code Talker.

2. An important note about Links I made many months ago is a trait they share with Synchros: The more generic Links there are, the more generic ALL Links are, because you can make the generic Links to ladder into the non-generic ones (similarly to, say, using the generic Denglong to ladder into the non-generic Baxia).

As proof of concept, take the example of Proteccode and Thiccode, which require Cyberse materials; although technically non-generic, they can now be made in a multitude of archetypes with 2 effect monsters + any level 1 monster or any Normal monster.

tl;dr funk xenophobia, card is p mediocre but having generic down arrow on a 2-material is p nice and has fun implications for future

Archived