Phantom Roxas's Character Database

Phantom Roxas

This section seemed interesting, and I figure it's time I post here. Merciful Idiot's Grand Crossover Roleplay Pathway to Origin has been my main focus of roleplaying over the past four years, although I've tried my had at other roleplays in the years since I first joined YCM. Once "Pathway to Origin" comes to close, I plan to begin my own spiritual successor to that story, Requiem for Avalon. It wouldn't be on the scale of a Grand Crossover Roleplay, but I certainly want to continue the same spirit of crossover that Merciful Idiot has achieved with Pathway to Origin. Perhaps, assuming Requiem for Avalon is successful, I hope to host a true Grand Crossover Roleplay.

There are stories that I've written only on this forum, so there is one story that I hope to tell here one day that finally brings everything together. It'll take several years, probably long past the point where I really should be spending time on here. But I think I've already come pretty far as it is, so there's a story that I want to see through to the end.

So this thread will be limited through the lens of the "Grand Crossover Roleplay". However, I feel like that alone has provided me with a place to use a roster of characters I'm fond of.

Arthur Ancyl

Digimon: The Seven Demon Lords and The Grand Crossover Roleplay: Pathway to Origin

[spoiler=Application]"Your world is what you make it. I abandoned the land of my birth, and the world I got in return was the most freedom I ever had."

Name: Arthur Ancyl, "The Golden Wolf"

[spoiler=Appearance]f9ffcf510c2f79964ffe74f098c05029.jpg

[spoiler=Biography] Five years ago, Arthur was a boy who loved playing video games, his favorite being the "Digimon" series of games. At school, he was admired by his classmates, but he never had the chance to bond with them. One day, he found himself stranded in an world where the monsters from the games were real. To him, it was a dream come true, and he found himself allied with Strabimon. He was there with other humans who received their own Digimon as partners, but the excitement of having a Digimon as a friend did not last long. Soon, agents of seven Digimon calling themselves the Demon Lords attacked, and Arthur had to adjust to the major threat. His friends had survived, save for two who had greater ambitions, betraying the team, only to meet their end as a result.

While the portal between the human world and the Digital World remained open, Arthur chose to stay as a protector. Arthur grew up in a foster home, because his mother had died shortly after childbirth, and his father gave him away barely a month after that. His foster parents were loving, but controlling, afraid of what the outside world could do to him, to the point that they were often critical of Arthur with the friends he chose. Their control seemed to be even stronger by the time he turned thirteen, and yet, after his struggles in the Digital World, he longed to return home. He said farewell to his Digimon partner, who had changed its form into a Gaomon at the end of the war. Arthur promised to return after he had spoken with his parents, and went back to Earth. However, when he did, it turned out that only a day had passed since he left. He realized that he could spend a year in the Digital World, and only about a week would pass on Earth, so he told his parents what would happen. However, when they did, they beat him, scolding him for endangering his life.

Arthur, having tasted freedom for the first time in years, demanded to know why they had been so controlling. After Arthur's tale of what he had experienced, they realized they had no reason to hide the truth from him. His parents were once demigods serving under Kronos, but went into hiding after his defeat. Arthur's father was the Greek god Apollo, who had given the child to them as a sign of good will, since they had done nothing to threaten Olympus ever since. However, they still held some bitterness towards the gods, and refused to let him be taken to Camp Half-Blood, and indeed, he should have been claimed three years prior. Arthur, furious with his parents for keeping the truth from him, demanded to be taken to Camp Half-Blood.

And then, tragedy struck. While in the Digital World, Arthur had gained the ability to fuse with a Digimon, and since his return to Earth, traces of the Biomerging ability were on him. This called a monster to their home, known as a Hyperborean giant. The parents fought back, but were killed in the battle, and then Apollo appeared, blasting the giant to dust. Arthur, now speaking directly with his father, asked why he had not come for him before. Apollo said that he tried once, but Arthur's foster parents refused to so much as let Apollo speak with him, and he left, trying to keep to the promise that Arthur was their son now. However, now that they were gone, Apollo could take Arthur to Camp Half-Blood, where he could be trained to better protect himself. Arthur, insulted by how lightly Apollo took his son's death, wanted nothing to do with him, but Apollo persisted. He took the boy to Camp Half-Blood, saying that he would have friends there that would help him through his hard time.

Arthur accepted, even though he desperately wanted to see Gaomon again. At the camp, Arthur was surprised to see just how many brothers and sisters he had, but he never did get along with them, his anger making him an outsider even to his own siblings, who tried to cheer him up with song, but it only made him feel worse. Chiron, the head counselor of Camp Half-Blood, thought a quest would be good for him, and revealed to him that Pandora's box had been stolen, and that Arthur was to find it. Arthur was joined by a Satyr, named Baxter, and a son of Hermes, named Samuel.

As the three set off on their quest, Arthur eventually came to a train station. There, he found a Locomon, who said that he was waiting for Arthur. Arthur directed Baxter and Samuel to look elsewhere while Arthur would look for "clues" on the train. As he got on, he told the Locomon to go to the Digital World, saying that no matter how much time he spent there, he was sure there would be enough time to find Pandora's box - or "the pithos", as some of the more pedantic people at camp called it - when he came back.

When he returned to the Digital World, Arthur was reunited with Gaomon, who by now had matured into a Gaogamon. Arthur was happy to have his friend back after so long, and for Gaogamon, it was reunion he had waited years for. Arthur stayed there, assisting Gaogamon stop the evils of the Digital World. Before Arthur knew it, five years had passed since he first met Strabimon, and now he and Gaogamon, now having evolved into MachGaogamon, were heroes known all across the Digital World. Arthur in particular was both admired and feared as "The Golden Wolf". That was the thrill he wanted, and he told everyone that his time back on Earth was miserable, not wanting to be tied to the lies of that world, and instead live the life he had now.

Or so he thought. The lingering evil of the Demon Lords he had defeated so long ago resurfaced, forming a conglomerate being known as Ogudomon. It rampaged all over the continents, razing everything until finally, it came to Arthur and MachGaogamon. The battle was long and arduous, but ultimately, it ended in Arthur and MachGaogamon's defeat. As Arthur felt the life fading away, he finally started to feel regret. He hated how callously he abandoned his fellow campers just so he could be with MachGaogamon. If he could change anything, he would find a way to make it so that he wouldn't have to choose between both worlds. After that, he found himself greeted by a mysterious girl.

Personality: Arthur is a thrill-seeker, doing whatever he will if he feels he will enjoy it. However, beyond that, he feels conflicted over who he is. After his war in the Digital World, it didn't matter much to him whether if he was a human or a demigod, and he longs for the day when he can have the power of a Digimon at his grasp. What mattered to him was his life being played like a fiddle, and ever since then, he has made it so that all he wants is honesty, even if the only person he'll trust anymore is MachGaogamon. When you want to know about him, he'll keep it on a need-to-know basis, because with the way things are for him, he can either save two worlds or belong to neither, and he can't risk telling the wrong person the wrong thing.

Powers/Equipment: As a child of Apollo, Arthur did have the time to learn how to create fantastic potions, making him one of the best possible medics for the team. Despite the resentment he holds towards his father, he is gifted with a bow, but uses a crossbow he made himself because it is more convenient for him. He also has a Digivice he uses to keep his ally, MachGaogamon, fighting, and there is a possibility he could use it to evolve him further, but this has yet to be proven.

I'm using much of his app from the beginning of the GCRP, but even that seems horribly outdated. Oh well, I consider it a vast improvement over where I was when I originally created him. Originally named "Arthur Wolf", Arthur Ancyl is one of, if not the first character I roleplayed on this site, so with the GCRP offering the opportunity to bring in characters who we haven't used in a long time, Arthur was an easy choice for the roleplay. However, with everyone else playing characters that would horribly outclass Arthur, I wanted to give him a boost, with the narrative of his backstory hinging on me retconning his backstory so that he is in fact a demigod based in the world of Percy Jackson. With that, I had a balance a character who was both a demigod as well as a Digi-Destined.

Of course, the self-indulgence did not stop there, for better or worse. The main cast of the GCRP was divided among two factions: The Divine, who wanted to use a mystical artifact known as the Door of Origin to rewrite reality to their whim, and the Counter Corps who wished to prevent the Divine from succeeding. Arthur originally joined the Divine, hoping to rewrite his world to erase the gods altogether, but he left them and joined the Counter Corps. In the GCRP, I also play Eria the Water Charmer, who was a member of the Counter Corps in the beginning. Throughout the roleplay, I've come to develop a romance between Arthur and Eria. While I'll admit it's plainly hooking up my self-insert with my waifu, I feel like there's enough specific to them as characters in their own right. I went a bit far around the time their relationship began, as Sora from Kingdom Hearts also performed a rite of succession, allowing Arthur to wield a Keyblade.

So in case you need to keep track, yes, I have a Digi-Destined demigod dating Eria and wielding a Keyblade. Truly I have reached peak "original character donut steel." There's a lot of baggage attached to him, but… I feel like this is exactly the sort of character I've needed to work with to hone my skill as a writer. Not for the crossover madness, but for the person beneath all that. A friend of mine introduced me to the band Avantasia, and he showed me "Runaway Train" as an example of their work. I put it at the top of this post because when I first heard the song, I realized that it was the perfect song for Arthur. And between Finn from Star Wars, or Vax'ildan from Critical Role, I kept seeing something that I loved about Arthur: Someone who runs away. What's important to me is not just what the run from, but also where they run to. With Arthur, I want to write someone who can find a place of belonging. Either as a hero of the Digital World alongside MachGaogamon (Who over the course of the GCRP has evolved to MirageGaogamon), discovering the kind of man he can be for Eria, or even accepting what it means to be a demigod.

I've tried my hand at various Digimon stories. Perhaps the one that comes to mind best would be Hopeless Paradise, where I tried to focus a story around the various major groups, such as the Demon Lords, the Royal Knights, and even the Olympos XII. That may be a story I should accept will never amount to anything more than what I attempted, and I'm okay with that. I also tried to participate in roleplays that would serve as sequels to The Seven Demon Lords, but they all failed for one reason or another. As far as I'm concerned, Pathway to Origin is the sequel to The Seven Demon Lords that I've always needed.

As of this writing, Arthur, as well as my entire cast of characters in Pathway to Origin are fighting Protheus Maximus, one of Merciful Idiot's most prominent recurring characters. Whatever happens after that fight remains to be seen, but come what may, Arthur is easily one of the characters I've had the time of my life playing on this site.

Also, one thing that was incredibly bizarre? I retconned Arthur's parentage in 2013, while the Heroes of Olympus was still ongoing. Naturally, making Arthur's father Apollo gave me a certain bias towards the character. Now, by sheer coincidence, the new Percy Jackson books focus on Apollo himself. I don't think it means much, but it is rather amusing.

Archived