Hollow Knight themed cards (not a full Deck, but hey it's something)

C2ER

WARNING: These cards may contain spoilers about the characters, encounters and story of the game "Hollow Knight" developed by Team Cherry!

While checking these cards, remember that they are not a deck. This is more of a set than a Deck, as the cards do not necessarily work together. Also, if you haven't you should play Hollow Knight. It's probably one of the best games of the year.

These are the cards that use fan-art in the image. Links to the artists for each card.

[spoiler=With Fanart]

GXqLlbK.jpg

Name: The Radiance

Artist: https://phation.deviantart.com/

Effect: 1 Tuner monster + 1 or more Level 11 Insect-Type monster

The effects of this card cannot be negated. When this card attacks or is attacked by another monster, the original ATK and DEF of this card becomes double the original ATK of the other monster.

Comment: This is meant to be the best card from the set. Its effect is a reference to the fact that all the attacks of the Radiance (except for the floor spikes) do 2 damage. The initial 0 ATK and DEF is a reference to how the Radiance is the only enemy (as far as I know) that does not have contact damage. It is a Divine Beast because The Radiance is technically a god.

17Sx2sC.jpg

Name: The Dreaming Radiance

Artist: https://half-rose.deviantart.com/

Effect: When this card is used as a material for a Synchro Summon, this card's level is considered 0.

Comment: My take on The Radiance before it created the world of the game. Also, an alternative for summoning "The Radiance" without the "Dream Nail" card. It's a Divine Beast because it is meant to be The Radiance, but younger.

Llq2QtB.jpg

Name: The Hollow Knight

Artist: https://kartazene.deviantart.com/

Effect: This card can only be summoned by the effect of the Ritual Spell Card "Temple of the Black Egg". When this card is destroyed in battle, destroy the monster responsible for this card's destruction. When this card is Special Summoned, put 3 Radiance Counters on this card. Remove one Radiance Counter from this card, or reduce 500 ATK and 500 DEF to this card. 

Comment: This is the other intended material for The Radiance. I made it a ritual so a Temple of the Black Egg card can have some relationship with it. The first effect is a reference to how it tries to take The Radiance by killing himself, while the second is a reference to how he becomes weaker during the fight with him as the battle progresses.

dJzYoFn.jpg

Name: Dreamer Hornet

Artist: http://monstravat.tumblr.com/

Effect: At the end of the turn where this card was Normal or Special Summoned, return this card to your hand. If this card is destroyed in battle, you can banish this card. If you do, Special Summon this card during the End Phase of your opponent's next turn.

Comment:  The idea of going in and out of the field comes from how the player has to chase her through Greenpath. The Dreamer part of the name comes from the fact that she is the daughter of one of the dreamers, Herrah the Beast

8L8Xm71.jpg

Name: Shade Cloak

Artist: https://half-rose.deviantart.com/

Effect: Once per turn, during any Battle Phase, you can reduce the ATK of the monster equipped with the card by half of its ATK. If you do, the monster equipped with this card can attack directly until the end of the turn.

Comment:  The effect is also based on the amulet that allows the player to deal damage when using the dash, but I decided to combine it into one card. Also, the v2 is a way for me to save the original version, which was more unbalanced.

WkegAOv.jpg

Name: Mapping the World

Artist: https://kaerazene.tumblr.com/

Effect: Select all face-down monsters on the field. Flip all the selected monster into face-up position. Negate all Monster Flip Effects activated by this card are negated.

Comment:  If the world is mapped, you have seen it all.

jJFiZZv.jpg

Name: Waiting in the Stag Stations

Artist: https://twitter.com/Super_Sini

Effect: When a player draws a card, put a "Stag Counter" the player has to reveal the card to their opponent. If any player draws a card called "Traveling Stag", send this card to the Graveyard. You can remove 2 "Stag Counters" from this card to select a "Traveling Stag" Spell Card from your Deck or Graveyard and put it at the top of your Deck.

Comment:  Wait and wait and the "Traveling Stag" will arrive. Who knows? Maybe it will arrive sooner than expected.

FeGNkNI.jpg

Name: The Collector

Artist: https://zummeng.deviantart.com/

Effect: Once per turn, you can reveal 2 Level 3 or lower monsters from your hand. If you do, Special Summon two "Captured Insect" Token to the field. The ATK and DEF of the summoned tokens are equal to the total ATK plus total DEF divided by 4. 

Comment: Another example of a monster with an effect based on its in-game battle. Also, I have the fight against The Collector; it is way too annoying.

k0Idf82.jpg

Name: Watcher Knight

Artist: https://zummeng.deviantart.com/

Effect: When this card is Normal or Special Summoned, if there is only one card named "Watcher Knight" on your side of the field, you can Special Summon a "Watcher Knight" from your hand.

Comment:  I know that there are more than 2 Watcher Knights in the game, but I need to balance the card some way.

Don't forget to visit the artist if you want more amazing drawings like these. Also, none of the drawers are me; I suck at drawing.

The images for these cards come from either the Kickstarted campaign, promotional art, steam cards or just plain screenshots of the game.

[spoiler=With Official art]

257O1Mv.jpg

Name: Cloth

Description: "Nola, I'm coming. More challenging foes are out there, somewhere, but none in this ruin could take me to you..." -Cloth.

Comment:  I did not give this and some other cards an effect because I was once told by a friend that a Deck where all monsters have effects is not as fun to look at. Also, Cloth is one of my favorite characters in the game.

s2zKpSz.jpg

Name: False Knight

Description: "This maggot was driven mad by a strange force. Inhabits a stolen armored shell. Weak creatures love to steal the strength of others. Their lives are brief and fearful, and they yearn to have the power to dominate those who have dominated them." -Hunter's Journal

Comment:  I have to say this is one of my favorite first boss battles in a while. As the card suggests, the boss main trait is how defensibly powerful he/she is.

0n4uL1m.jpg

Name: Fierce Drya

Description: "One of Hallownest's "Five Greatest Knights" and defender of the Queen’s Glade. She was driven mad by her Queen lost and the garden overrun. Still, she retains her honor, offering a fair challenge to the Hollow Knight: Nail against nail. A duel to the death." -Hunter's Journal

Comment:  There isn't much room to talk about Drya, but, since she is said to be strong with her nail, I just made her as strong as the "Nailmaster" card.

RuhT9VX.jpg

Name: Nailmaster

Description: "It is the law of the Great Nailsage that I must pass down my teachings to those who are worthy. But no law forbids me from exacting a payment for my time. If you truly wish to train under me, prove it with Geo!" -Nailmaster Oro

"No, don't speak a word. I, Nailmaster Mato, who was taught the Art of the Nail by the Great Nailsage himself, hereby accept you as my pupil! Let us begin the lesson immediately!" -Nailmaster Mato

Comment:  I decided to make both Oro and Mato into one single card because they look exactly the same in-game. I may fill the quartet later with Sly, but no promises.

PNYu3C9.jpg

Name: Unexpected Meeting

Effect: When your opponent Normal or Special Summons a monster, the summoned monster cannot declare an attack. Both players draw a card from their respective Decks at the end of the turn. If your opponent does not declare an attack with any monster, both players draw two cards instead of one at the end of the turn.

Comment:  This scene never appeared in-game, so I just tried to recreate the feeling I thought it would have in the effect of the card.

PprV8uL.jpg

Name: March of the Insects

Effect: Once per turn during your Main Phase 2, if you did not declare an attack during your Battle Phase, you can Special Summon a Level 4 Insect-Type monster.

Comment:  This one did not happen in-game, either.

uswbJQ5.jpg

Name: Dream Nail

Effect: Once per turn, you can Synchro Summon a Synchro Monster from your Extra Deck without using any Tuner monsters. If the materials needed are all Tuner monster, the effect of this card cannot be activated. While this card is face-up on your side of the field, all monsters you use as materials for a Synchro Summon are banished instead of going to the Graveyard.

Comment:  It's like Fusion Gate, but for Synchro.

5M8OX82.jpg

Name: Visiting Nailmaster Sheo

Effect: Select a Warrior-Type monster on your side of the field. The selected monster increases 1000 ATK until the end of turn.

Comment:  Sheo does not fight, but he can teach warrior how to fight.

omuNqUN.jpg

Name: Temple of the Black Egg

Effect: The effect of this card cannot be negated. Sacrifice monsters until their total level equals 11 and destroy all Spell and Trap Cards on your side of the field. If you do, Special Summon "The Hollow Knight" from your hand. Once per turn, you can banish this card and a "The Hollow Knight" from your Graveyard. If you do, select a level 4 or lower "Hollow" or "Shade" monster from your Deck and Special Summon it.

Comment:  This is the only way to summon The Hollow Knight. However, if The Hollow Knight's powers are not enough, a different shade will rise to become the next Hollow Knight.

MNZr7Zs.jpg

Name: Gorgeous Husk

Effect: Special Summon a "Gorgeous Husk" Token (Lv 1/ 0 ATK/ 0 DEF/ LIGHT / Insect-Type) in Defense Position. If a "Gorgeous Husk" Token is destroyed during the same turn this card was activated, increase your LP by 1200.

Comment:  He is so fabulous!

OECSEtZ.jpg

Name: The Abyss

Effect: This card cannot be removed from the field by the effect of a Spell, Trap or Monster Card. Once per turn, you can Special Summon a "Hollow Sibling" Token (Lv 1 / 500 ATK / 500 DEF / DARK/ Spellcaster-Type). When a DARK monster declares a direct attack, double all damage dealt until the end of the damage calculation. When a "Hollow Sibling" Token is destroyed in battle, all damage is halved until the end of the damage calculation.

Comment:  This is one of the reasons why I would call this a set of cards rather than a Deck. Since not all the monsters in here are DARK, this card (alongside some others) has more potential in other Decks.

u005yfs.jpg

Name: Traveling Stag

Effect: Select a card from your Graveyard or Deck. If that card is not called "Traveling Stag", reveal the selected card and move it to your hand. At the end of the turn, reveal your hand and put at the top of your Deck all cards with the same name as the card selected by the effect of "Traveling Stag" and shuffle your Deck.

Comment:  You were patient and waited. Now the Travelling Stag and its passengers are here. Be careful, though, they will go if you are not quick enough.

E6OlGQM.jpg

Name: Quirrel

Effect: Once per turn, when the effect of a Spell Card is activated, increase 300 ATK to this card.

Comment:  The effect might not make much sense at first, but remember that he is very closely related to Monomon the teacher.

nDAR1DO.jpg

Name: Scavenger Tuk

Effect: Once per turn, if this card has 3000 ATK of less, you can pay 800 LP. If you do increase 500 ATK and DEF to this card.

Comment:   Do you want a Rancid Egg for 80 Geo?

8yyl7Fp.jpg

Name: Hollow Shade

Effect: When a DARK monster on your side of the field is destroyed in battle, you can Special Summon this card from your hand.

Comment:  When you die, your regrets stay behind.

mDoV1UP.jpg

Name: Hollow Sibling

Effect: When this card is Normal Summoned, you can Special Summon a "Hollow Sibling" from your hand.

Comment:   Brothers from absolutely no mother.

5lygFNW.jpg

Name: Little Hollow Ghost

Effect: When this card is Normal Summoned, you can select an Equip Spell Card from your Deck. Reveal the selected card and place it at the top of your Deck.

Comment:  I mean, he is not The Hollow Knight, yet. In the first iteration, the effect would equip the card, but that was too unbalanced for a Lv 4 monster

9KUE7zp.jpg

Name: Traidor Xero

Effect: 1 Tuner monster + 1 or more non-Tuner monster

Lingering dream of a fallen warrior. Executed for crimes against the King.
"A life defined by tragedy and triumph. A death marred by sorrow and regret. A spirit burdened by sins and memories. Better to wander the world than be cursed with glory." -Xero

Comment: A not-too-strong, but also a not-to-weak card.

YR2A002.jpg

Name: Name-Forgotten No Eyes

This card can declare as many attacks as the number of monsters on your opponent's field.

Comment: I am not sure if I should lower the ATK of this card or not, but I'll leave it like this for now.

RwhzPy5.jpg

Name: Lost Markoth

Effect: 2 Tuner monster + 1 or more non-Tuner monster

"Lingering dream of a fallen warrior. Only member of his forgotten tribe to take up a weapon." -Hunter's Journal
"May your efforts lead you somewhere worthy." -Markoth

Comment: This is why the Dram Nail exist (not really, but it's useful here nevertheless).

Z3Zmbho.jpg

Name: Gorb

Once per turn, you can pay 500 LP to increase this card 1500 ATK until your next Standby Phase.

Comment: I am Gorb! Bow! Bow bow bow bow to Gorb! The great mind! I am Gorb!

I must admit, I have no idea if the set is balanced or not. I am open to suggestions on how to make them better. Not necessarily more balanced or unbalanced, just more fun to play. Also, I might add some cards every now and then, just because.

Archived