Simorgh, Kitefin Bird of Heraldry (Generation Fish.dek's New WATER Wingman)

Black D'Sceptyr

u realize that this is basically your gigantic apology letter for not releasing Dark Shelga this week right

cram it, it's called the BlaDeS of Change Workshop, not the BlaDeS of Complain Wo-

also, you realize people reading it won't know why it works with Fish as well unless they have any cursory knowledge of THIS right

or they can read the last three tags on there that say its a card that works well with Shark (a Fish user) and Rio (a WATER Winged Beast user), put two and two together, and be left agape at the magnificence of this powerful monster, how about tha-

and finally, you know you're doing this on 26 hours straight being on your feet right

Of course, that's why I'm careful to not let them know of that, now help me with putting this on the showroom floor and NOT ANOTHER PEEP

simorgh__kitefin_bird_of_heraldry_by_bds

[spoiler=Simorgh, Bird of Heraldry: Info]

WATER/Winged Beast-Type Effect Monster/Level 7/2700 ATK/1000 DEF

Lore: To Tribute Summon this card face-up, you can also Tribute 1 Level 5 WATER monster from your Deck. You can only use each of these effects of "Simorgh, Kitefin Bird of Heraldry" once per turn. 

• You can banish 1 WIND and 1 Winged Beast monster (but not both) from your hand or field: Special Summon this card from your GY, then return 1 non-WIND monster on the field to the hand. 
• (Quick Effect, except during the Damage Step): You can banish 1 WATER and 1 WIND monster from your hand and/or GY; banish this card until your next Standby Phase, and if you do, Special Summon 1 WIND Fish, Aqua or Sea Serpent monster from your Deck. It gains 700 ATK.

Alright, may the reviews and revelry arrive in abundanc-

also there's your unhealthy obsession with making a Simorgh for everything

THAT'S IT, BDS SIGNING OFF TO GO KNOCK SOME SENSE INTO INNER ME

Update I: This card's new name - 'Kitefin Bird of Heraldry' - is to help enunciate its roots with the Generation Fish build I'm trying to put up through it now. Cuz, you know, Kitefins are a breed of shark and stuff.

I owe a large debt of gratitude to M.C. Eshai for this sea change (lol get it)-give 'em a look-over Esh deserves it.

Also, Tribute Summoning this card is a usable thing now cuz Salvage on otherwise unsearchable Sea Lancer that's why.

This was a complicated experience for me. At first, I thought this was Generation Fish support, and I was going to rag that it can't banish the same cards is sent to the GY for its Tribute Summon, but then I realized this card is even WEIRDER and supports Blizzard Thunderbird and Ice Beast Zerofyne, in a way. 

I am a bit bummed that this isn't really Generation Fish, but the problem is more that it seems you think these cards are going to work together, at least that's where I think you're going with this (it's a bit unclear without any other support.) For starters, banish fish aren't just Fish. They have Sea Serpents, Aquas, and even a Beast Warrior that can't be searched by Tenki because he's a LV 5. We don't talk about him. This makes this all a bit troublesome because we have WIND aquatic monsters and WATER Winged-Beast monsters. So really the question becomes: Is it worth it? Probably not, but if the card said Tribute/banish "WIND or Winged Beast (not both)" it could probably be a more elegant way of placing the two sets of cards together.

For the Special Summon from Deck effect, you could've just said: "Banish 1 Beutunaful Princess from your Deck to Special Summon 1 Level 4 or Lower Fish monster from your Deck." Seriously this effect doesn't even support Mermaid Shark. I guess Blizzard Thunderbird can be Special Summoned as well, but this can't Summon Sirenorca, and even if it could be Special Summoned it doesn't get its effect. So what you end up with here is 2 decent targets, and 1 target makes a part of your restriction worthless. I would reword it to either Special Summon or add a Level 5 or lower WATER Winged Beast or Fish monster so that Shark Cruiser might be able to see play somehow. Don't know why it can become a Quick Effect, but if there's a particular reason I'm unaware of then I guess it's fine. This is a bit convoluted, but I think I have a better idea below.

A personal recommendation is to make this a Chain Beat monster. Give it an effect that says "When a card or effect is activated: You can banish this card and 1 WIND or Winged-Beast monster (not both) in your GY. At the start of (your/the, whichever is more balanced) next Standby Phase, return this card to the field, and if you do, Special Summon 1 of your banished WIND or Winged-Beast monsters (not both)." This way it can use the monsters it banished, while also having more utility if it's later in the game. It also triggers some of your Generation Fish effects, so that's nice.

Hope this all helped. I may have completely missed the point with this card, but I think whatever I said was interesting enough on its own to spawn new ideas if this isn't what you're looking for.

This was a complicated experience for me. At first, I thought this was Generation Fish support, and I was going to rag that it can't banish the same cards is sent to the GY for its Tribute Summon, but then I realized this card is even WEIRDER and supports Blizzard Thunderbird and Ice Beast Zerofyne, in a way. 

I am a bit bummed that this isn't really Generation Fish, but the problem is more that it seems you think these cards are going to work together, at least that's where I think you're going with this (it's a bit unclear without any other support.) For starters, banish fish aren't just Fish. They have Sea Serpents, Aquas, and even a Beast Warrior that can't be searched by Tenki because he's a LV 5. We don't talk about him. This makes this all a bit troublesome because we have WIND aquatic monsters and WATER Winged-Beast monsters. So really the question becomes: Is it worth it? Probably not, but if the card said Tribute/banish "WIND or Winged Beast (not both)" it could probably be a more elegant way of placing the two sets of cards together.

A personal recommendation is to make this a Chain Beat monster. Give it an effect that says "When a card or effect is activated: You can banish this card and 1 WIND or Winged-Beast monster (not both) in your GY. At the start of (your/the, whichever is more balanced) next Standby Phase, return this card to the field, and if you do, Special Summon 1 of your banished WIND or Winged-Beast monsters (not both)." This way it can use the monsters it banished, while also having more utility if it's later in the game. It also triggers some of your Generation Fish effects, so that's nice.

Ah yes, now that I have a good rest behind me I can really get down to brass tacks on your critique

In short: you are absolutely right

(on which front?)

Yes. 

Shortly, this was originally done to make the WATER Winged Beasts their own stand-alone through a little help from the Fish tor round-out purposes. But after realizing just what you meant by "Generation Fish" and what I originally dubbed "that cheap-a$$ Treeborn/Sea Lancer brainfart of a Deck I still could not get around to save my life with a non-Pendulum Deck a year ago", I realized-

-I could get to love Generation Fish. 

Yes, this is a Deck I'm likely going to hand to Rio Kastle in my ASPECT story on DeviArt, but including the other WIND monsters was a bit of a pickle-though I did find a way to help....expedite the usage of Sea Lancer and other Level 5 WATER monsters with this card now. Let me know how well I fared.

Hope this all helped. I may have completely missed the point with this card, but I think whatever I said was interesting enough on its own to spawn new ideas if this isn't what you're looking for.

It helped-unbelievably so, it all helped. Thank you so much.

Wait a minute, you can return itself to the hand to Special Summon it so that you can optionally take up your Normal Summon for a WATER Foolish Burial? Now THAT'S A CARD. Not even broken or anything, just a great interaction between the 2 Summoning conditions.

Apparently, this thing isn't just similar in name. You gave it all sorts of different restrictions to make the relationship clear. I'm guessing anyone that doesn't know Generation Fish is going to be really confused, but whatever. I'm a bit conflicted by you having to banish a WATER and WIND monster since arguably you aren't running too many WATER monsters unless you're making more support, but tbh it's pretty fair since you gave it Deck Summoning and an ATK boost. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived