[AGM] Fossil Fusion and the Fossil Dyna Archetype that you really never wanted

Eshai

Remember that Australian guy from GX, Jim? Remember him using that awesome Fusion Spell Fossil Fusion? It was revolutionary for the time for being able to use GY monsters from either player's GY, which was never adapted, at least that's what you think. If you've been paying attention to the meta, Invoke has a similar Fusion Spell in the form of  Invocation, along with Aleister that has an eye covered similar to Jim in the anime, and even has a very specific spell called Time Stream he used to switch out his Fusions in the form of Book of the Law .

While that's cool, Fossils and Dinosaurs are cooler. Always wanted to make a archetype but didn't have a reason until Draconus wanted me to make a archetype around the Fusions he adapted from the anime. I mean he gave me other options, but Fossils and Dinosaurs are cooler.

Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo was the only card (and coolest card) from Jim that got a official adaption, so I made the entire archetype into "Fossil" with "Fossil Dyna" and "Antique Fossil" as sub-archetypes. 

Fossil Dyna Excavator

EARTH - Level 4 - Warrior/Effect - 1800/1200

When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Excavate the top 5 cards of your Deck, you can add 1 “Fossil Dyna” card to your hand, also send the remaining cards to the GY, or, if you did not excavate any “Fossil Dyna” cards, put the remaining cards on the bottom of your Deck in any order instead. You can only use this effect of this card’s name once per turn.

Some Warrior Synergy with Dust Knight and ROTA, but at the same time it decreases your chances of getting your effect off. Also a cool generic card for low level play

Fossil Dyna Courier

EARTH - Level 4 - Machine/Effect - 1500/1500

Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 “Fossil Dyna” monster from your hand, then increase this card’s Level of the Special Summoned monster. While this card’s Level is 8, you can Tribute this card (Quick Effect): Special Summon 1 “Fossil Dyna” monster from your Deck. You can only use each effect of this card’s name once per turn.

It’s a Dune Buggy/Jeep for the Fusion to have some explanation. Of course they have to transport their recent findings somehow

Fossil Dyna Tatankatops

EARTH - Level 4 - Rock/Effect - 1200/2000

If this face-up card is targeted for an attack: You can change this card’s Battle Position, and if you do, increase this card’s DEF by 200. Once per turn, you can target 1 monster your opponent controls (Quick Effect): Increase this card’s Level by the Level of the targeted monster. While this card’s Level is 8 or higher, you can Tribute this card (Quick Effect): Activate 1 “Fossil” Spell/Trap from your Deck. You can only use this effect of “Fossil Dyna Gigantotop” once per turn.

Based on Black Stego and the ancient Gigantspinosaurus. Lets you activate Fossil Fusion as a Quick-play Spell since banishing cards in your opponent’s GY could probably be useful. The problem is that I’m technically breaking chain conventions, since I’m fitting the Activation in a already resolving chain of cards with established Chain Link numbers. Might make it so instead the effect uses Fossil Fusion

Fossil Dyna Edmontoregalis

EARTH - Level 4 - Rock/Effect - 1800/1800

When this card is Normal or Special Summoned; You can send 1 Rock monster from your Deck to your GY, except “Fossil Dyna Edmontoregalis” to increase this card’s Level by the Level of that monster. While this card is in your GY: You can banish 2 “Fossil” monsters from your hand or GY to Special Summon this card. You can only use each effect of this card’s name once per turn.

Foolish Burial for Rocks even though they already have some. I feel Rock monsters do have milling, but REALLY SLOW milling. Serious why is Rock Bombardment a Trap? Also has a bit extra if you’re running it in this Deck.

Fossil Dyna Biceramemento

EARTH - Level 4 - Rock/Effect - 1900/1200

This card must attack, if able. If this card attacks a monster with a level equal or lower than this card, destroy it without applying damage calculations, and if you do, increase this card’s Level by the Level of the destroyed monster. After this card attacks, it is switched to Defense Position. While this card’s Level is 8 or higher, you can Tribute this card (Quick Effect): Special Summon 1 “Fossil Dyna” monster from your Deck.

Understandably some might get worried about Pachycephalo being able to be Special Summoned. I don’t think it should be a problem, but if it ends up being a problem in further testing in the Duel-Portal (if anyone wants to help me out with that comment below) then I might change it. Either way the naming convention and aesthetic is too cool to pass up.

[spoiler: Fusions]

Antique Fossil Dyna Titanotop

EARTH - Level 8 - Rock/Fusion/Effect - 2600/3000

1 Rock monster + 1 Level 6 or higher monster

This card can attack while in face-up Defense Position. If it does, apply its DEF for damage calculation. If this card inflicts damage to your opponent, after damage calculations: You can switch this card’s battle position, and if you do, it can make a second attack in a row. If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent. If this card is sent from the field to the GY: You can banish this card to add 1 “Fossil” Spell/Trap from your Deck to your hand.

My version of an awesome card that represents everything Rock monsters are: Defense and powerful utility. ‘Nuff said.

Antique Fossil Dyna Reliconvoy

EARTH - Level 7 - Machine/Fusion/Effect - 2000/2800

1 Rock monster + 1 Level 5 or higher monster

This card can attack all monster your opponent controls, once each. Once per turn, you can banish 1 monster you control or in either player’s GY (Quick Effect): This card gains ATK equal to its Level/Rank x 200 until the end of the turn. If this card is sent from the field to the GY: You can banish this card to add 1 “Fossil Dyna” monster from your Deck to your hand.

Can be a beater while also screwing with some GY effects while also gaining ATK depending on their Level. This card can still banish Link monster, but it’s not going to get ATK from doing so.

Fossil Dyna Grand Archaeologist

EARTH - Level 6 - Warrior/Fusion/Effect - 2400/2000

1 Rock monster + 1 monster with a Level

If this card is Fusion Summoned: Excavate the cards from the top of your Deck equal to the Level of the Fusion Material with the lowest Level, you can Special Summon any “Fossil Dyna” monsters, also send the remaining cards to the GY, or, if you did not excavate any “Fossil Dyna” cards, put the remaining cards on the top of your Deck in any order instead. You can only use this effect of this card’s name once per turn. If this card would be destroyed, you can Tribute 1 “Fossil Dyna” monster you control instead.

Special Summon ALL of the Fossil Dynas. Considering how the Deck works, if you only banish your own monsters, you can probably excavate 8 CARDS. That’s crazy, and it’s meant to be crazy. Not sure though if it’s better or worse than placing the Spell/Traps and not Fossil Dynas in the GY or on top of the Deck, so I’ll get back to that later after testing.

[spoiler: Spells]

Fossil Fusion

Normal - Spell

Fusion Summon 1 Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using monsters from your hand as Fusion Materials.

If Summoning an Rock Fusion Monster this way, you can also banish monsters from your field and/or either player's GY as Fusion Materials. You can banish this card from your GY, except the turn it was sent there (Quick Effect): Increase the original Level of a monster on the field or in either player’s by 4 until the end of your next turn.

Invocation basically did all that I’m doing already, but I’m convinced the entire Invoked archetype was meant to adapt the mechanics of Fossil Fusion anyway, but they took in consideration of Xyz and now Link monsters so that it could be universally adaptable. Added a GY effect (because every Fusion Spell needs a GY effect these days) to further disrupt your opponent’s Synchro and Xyz Summon, Increase the Level of your Fossil Dynas, or to increase the Level of a monster in your opponent’s GY for a better Fusion Summon later.

Fossil Dyna Time Stream

Quick-play - Spell

You can pay 1500 LP and Tribute 1 “Fossil” monster: Special Summon 1 “Antique Fossil” Fusion monster from your Extra Deck whose Level is equal or less than the Tributed monster’s Level, ignoring its Summoning conditions. If the Tributed monster was a Fusion monster, then the Special Summon is treated as a Fusion Summon and you can Special Summon a monster up to 2 Levels higher than the Tributed monster instead. You can only activate 1 “Fossil Dyna Time Stream” per turn.

Based off a card in the anime that did the same thing, but that card had you paying HALF your LPs to even use. Furthering my suspicions, Invokes have a card that essentially does the same thing, switching out your Fusions but without the Level mechanic because they focused on Attributes instead. I tried to make this better than the anime version since the Invoked equivalent is barely run in any version of Invoked. Wording is probably terrible on this card so I’d rather get some help on this.

[spoiler: Original Fusions]

Like the LV 4, but I think the LV 10 is a bit too good, and would rather it say 2 Level 8 or higher monsters for that reason.

Antique Fossil Anthracite

EARTH - Level 10 - Rock/Fusion/Effect - 3500/0

1 Rock-Type monster + 1 Level 8 or higher monster

Must be Fusion Summoned, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. If this attacking card destroys an opponent's monster by battle, after damage calculation: It can attack again in a row. If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent. At the end of each turn, you can target 1 card on the field: Destroy it.

Antique Fossil Skullgios

EARTH - Level 8 - Rock/Fusion/Effect - 3000/0

1 Rock-Type monster + 1 Level 6 or higher monster

Must be Fusion Summoned, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent. If this card destroyed a monster by battle and sends it to the GY: You can Equip that monster from the GY to this card as a Equip Spell Card with this effect.
● The equipped monster gains ATK equal to this card’s original ATK.

Antique Fossil Lignite

EARTH - Level 6 - Rock/Fusion/Effect - 2500/0

1 Rock-Type monster + 1 Level 4 or higher monster

Must be Fusion Summoned, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can target 1 face-up monster on the field; switch its current ATK and DEF until the end of this turn.

Antique Fossil Peat

EARTH - Level 4 - Rock/Fusion/Effect - 2000/0

1 Rock-Type monster + 1 monster

Must be Fusion Summoned, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent. If this card is in your GY: You can Fusion Summon 1 "Antique Fossil” Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, by banishing Fusion Materials listed on it from either player’s GY Graveyard, including this card.

Now this is by no definition the final version. After some Duel-Portal testing (which again, PM me if you want to help test on the Duel-Portal some time) and some feedback I’ll come back and fix the Deck’s problems, Hope you liked it, and hope you have constructive criticism so I can solve the problems.

Remember how I told you about changing a card functionally?

Original Anthracite could only keep attacking so long as your opponent still had a monster on board, but wasn't locked into continued attacks (like, say, Ultimate Tyranno or a Lunalight Fusion). Your altered version gets one extra attack in, which may not sound like a lot, but . . . 3500 beatstick. It can OTK on its own, easily. Also, I still think it should say "During the End Phase" instead of "At the end of each turn". Those changes might have contributed to your fears regarding its power.

Bituminous is now Skullgios, literally the only one you renamed . . . K.

Peat is locked exclusively into Antique Fossil Fusion Summons, which I suppose might be a bit more fair- the previous version was specifically eroded in a way that it could be used for any Fusion monster that could possibly use it as Material, meaning that Shekhinaga (or, since we're taking about Invoked, Magallanica) could be brought out with its auto Miracle Fusion effect.

Of your new Fusions, I like Titanotop simply because it uses a mechanic I like to think I invented- double-attacking using both ATK and DEF stats ("Chakram of Tareya" does this, and, by extension, given how the archetype works, so does "Combat Maiden Tareya" if her Chakram is on board). However, damage calculation never has an "s"- I caught you on that mistake in the contest, and you're still making it. Also, even though it sounds redundant, you do need to specify that you're banishing from the Graveyard.

Grand Archaeologist is neat. It does what it needs to, and also starts some ridiculous nonsense with milling fast.

I . . . don't like Reliconvoy. I understand that you're trying to go with things Jim had in the anime, but it doesn't fit in thematically, both being the only non-Rock Fusion and the only monster in the entire archetype with an odd Level, including your new Main Deck support. It also just basically does things other archetype members did, but slightly worse- it doesn't have Anthracite's ability to opt out of an attack if you realize that you're boned, its ATK gain is generally worse than Skullgios's due to being both temporary and reliant on either screwing your own resources or your opponent running high-Level/Rank monsters to accomplish anything of note with the boost, meaning it only does anything as an OPT D.D. Crow that only hits monsters.

I have no complaints about the Main Deck, and the Spells are kinda cool.

So

• The wording on Anthracite had allowed it to keep attacking since it didn't say "second" attack in a row, so it would've just been allowed to attack as many times as it wanted. Also thought the OCG was updated from "During the End Phase" to "At the end of the turn" so that's how I worded it (if I'm wrong then I messed that up). I'll change it to second if that was the intention in the first place.
  • WHOOPS
  • Pete I kinda wanted to also banish itself from the Field and be a Quick Effect like some of the other LV 4s
  • Damn it thought I was being creative with Titanotop. As for damage calculation(s), that's my fault. I'll change it.
  • I think Grand Archaeologist is a bit on the broken side, but if you don't think so then I guess it's fine.
  • Excavator and Archaeologist are Warriors (since they're humans) and Courier is also a Machine (because they're vehicles). I kinda just realized I made anti synergy with Fossil Fusion, so I'll have to change that up, probably making it archetype exclusive in the process. I was actually trying to make sense of the fact that he had vehicles and warriors, so I wanted the Deck to have them. I would like to make the card a bit more interesting (since I don't really like the effect either) so if you have any recommendations that would be awesome. At the moment I'm thinking along the lines of Bujintei Susanoo.
  • Wait so is Time Stream properly worded? Not sure if I did it right.

Archived