Sakura and the New Members

KatnissGod

Now if only new members would stick around longer after their initial posts...

I admit I do write the same thing often (standard greetings, rules business, etc), but I care about newbies understanding what to expect when they come around (and yeah, reading the rules helps). I was them once in 2009; I got my share of trolls and stuff from vets back then for being naive to internet ways among other things [including not reading the rules] before getting acclimated and finding my place.

Hopefully the intro posts aren't a deterrent for keeping them away.

====

Bottom-line, I do wish we get new members here; you and Eshai are probably one of the few notable ones who have actually stayed around; maybe Kyumi too. If I forgot your name and you are still new, apologies.

Now if only new members would stick around longer after their initial posts...

I admit I do write the same thing often (standard greetings, rules business, etc), but I care about newbies understanding what to expect when they come around (and yeah, reading the rules helps). I was them once in 2009; I got my share of trolls and stuff from vets back then for being naive to internet ways among other things [including not reading the rules] before getting acclimated and finding my place.

Hopefully the intro posts aren't a deterrent for keeping them away.

====

Bottom-line, I do wish we get new members here; you and Eshai are probably one of the few notable ones who have actually stayed around; maybe Kyumi too. If I forgot your name and you are still new, apologies.

That is true. A lot of them stop by and say hi or say they'll be on the site, but never follow through. Funny enough, some might be on the site. Though they're just using the card maker as opposed to interacting on the forum.

Maybe, or they only had enough time to have a brief introduction and very limited posting (but intend to return later). What is the case for each particular member, we don't know. I've looked at the last batch of newbies; a lot of them stopped logging in after a couple days.

[spoiler=Things that may be a cause (and by no means an exhaustive list)]

• Real life
    • Likely a reason for a few of them, as some of the vets here also have to be inactive due to work, school, etc.]
  • Cardmaker being stuck in ZEXAL mode
    • We would like to have it updated + bugs fixed, but YCMaker is legitimately dead in terms of activity, and unless you want the whole thing to break, Supers [evil for the time being] won't update it unless for minor stuff.
    • Also likely disinterest in Yugioh after a while; especially with Pendulum and Link format.
  • Only came for cardmaker
    • I do see a ton of low post members who are online but not posting anything; even really old ones.
  • View of the memberbase
    • We're not a perfect community and some sections may give off an elitist vibe that implies "newbies aren't welcome".
      • Also likely the actions done by a handful of users that give negative impressions (as in how members get treated in discussions when disagreements arise).
    • If what we show on the forum is negative, then new members are either retreating to the cardmaker for the remainder of their YCM career or quitting altogether.
      • (I had a talk with some members on the DP Discord a while back; a lot of them told me that they don't like communicating on forums and certain people can be aggravating.)
  • Overwhelmed by the rules business
    • Yes, we sound like broken records when we say "read the rules and stuff", but we really do mean it.
    • Read the rules, then you won't be having multiple run-ins with the staff for violations [though we're generally chill on stuff; least I am for the most part with small things] among others.

Agreed. I can say as a newer member myself that it is relatively hard when you don't read the rules. I to this day, still have not had time to read them, but I have a basic Idea of them based on what I've learned by running into them head-on. And Sakura is right, the mods are usually very tolerable when it comes to first-time violations. Remember my first "RP" post? Zai didnt give me a violation for it since I was new. Sakura himself/herself even tried to help me out with it even though it wasn't his/her jurisdiction. Everyone here is incredibly kind and really enjoys their time here(from what I've seen). But, this is not to say that the mods never give out punishments, I am simply saying they are usually forgiving. But yes, I do believe new members should stick around longer.

Archived