I HATE that 1 stupid Link Monster rule (not the monsters just the 1 rule)

So I tried Dueling Book the other day, trying out some new Decks, checking in on older Decks and I noticed something... THAT STUPID RULE KONAMI MADE REGARDING HOW YOU CAN ONLY SPECIAL SUMMON MONSTERS FROM THE EXTRA DECK TO THE EXTRA MONSTER ZONE OR A ZONE POINTED TO BY A LINK MONSTER.

That rule to me is so stupid (and yes I am aware that the rule change came with the Extra Monster Zone), my point is that, most older Decks now or even Decks from just the ARC-V era now NEED Link Monsters in order to function, the generic Link Monsters Konami are making right now just don't do enough to support the mechanic but I know they will make generic splashable Link Monsters that every Deck can and probably will run.

But back to that rule, there's almost no work around for it right now and again playing Link Monsters is the only real way to play an older Deck, and especially a Deck that relies on Fusion, Synchro, or Xyz Monsters. I don't think Pendulum Monsters were as hard hit as everyone says they are you can still Pendulum Summon up to 5 from your hand plus 1 from the Extra Deck, so if anything Link Monsters actually help out Pendulums. Fusions and Synchros are a little encumbered by this rule, but worst off of all are Xyz Monsters, as you can still use just 1 Extra Monster Zone to Special Summon multiple Fusion or Synchro Monsters by using what you control in that Extra Monster Zone and sending to the GY, banishing it, or rarely returning It to the Extra Deck for that Summon or even use them as LInk Material for a Link Monster, but for Xyz Monsters considering you need to overlay their materials on the field instead of taking them off the field, if you have 1 Xyz in the Extra Monster Zone and you want to Xyz Summon another monster, then you either need to get rid of the 1 you already control or hope the other Xyz Monster has an Xyz Evolution condition ("You can also Xyz Summon this card by using whatever as the material") because then and only then you could use the first Xyz Monster to Summon another one.

I heard that Konami made that rule for Link Monsters as to "convince" players to pick up those new cards and to slow down the game, but that's stupid as we've been getting new mechanics since 2009 (starting with Synchros, then Xyz, next came Pendulums, and now Links) and each time Konami just kept supporting the new mechanic gradually at first giving fairly easy to use generic cards of that mechanic to the players and any older Decks were not directly affected by this but it was more convenient to use the newer cards instead of the older ones. This rule that restricts Summoning monsters from the Extra Deck to the Extra Monster Zone or a zone pointed to by Link Monsters just seems like they're trying to hard to do something that has always happened naturally and on its own. Even in the OCG right now a lot of Decks that are being used have either little or no focus on Link Summoning and I think its for some of the reasons I just stated but possibly more, and to be honest If we didn't have that stupid rule I think Link Monsters would just end up like every other game mechanic we have; it'll get used in favor of older mechanics while not impeding them, and eventually Konami will make them very good and fun to use and I hope Konami does fix this in the near future.

I'm not quite sure what your problem is with Xyz vs Synchros and Fusions. You can still, for example, Summon Number 39: Utopia in the Extra Monster Zone and Rank it up into Number S39: Utopia the Lightning in the same zone. If there isn't a monster in the other Extra Monster Zone, you could even switch which EMZ your Xyz is in while Ranking it up.

Anyway, the new rules are a bit of a hassle for some decks, I'll admit. For example, my Paleozoic deck had a really good play with the old rules. Basically it was a very common situation for me to be able to get 4 level 2s out and I'd overlay 2 of them for Opabinia, search for a trap and activate it from my hand to Summon another Level 2. Then I'd overlay the 3 Level 2s for Anomalocaris, and basically I got the value from Opabinia's trap, and I have a search next turn. The trap you search off Opabinia the second time can be used to trigger Anomalocaris' effect and basically you got a load of plusses that you just don't when you are forced to just overlay all 4 of the Level 2s into Anomalocaris.

To work around this, I'm increasing the maindeck presence of my deck. For example, I recently got a Majesty's Fiend, which prevents most monsters from activating their effects, but doesn't stop Anomal or Opab since they are unaffected by monster effects. I also plan on getting a Herald of Pure Light, a Rank 2 monster that can add my 1 copy of Majesty's from my Grave to hand should I mill it with any of my many mill effects. Since my deck rarely Normal Summons, I can then just Tribute the Pure Light for Majesty's to clear my Extra Monster Zone.

That is an example of me leaning more heavily on my main deck because of the new rules. I recommend you try something similar. You could also focus on using a lot of revival cards since Extra Deck monsters that are revived go to the Main Monster Zone. While this may not be so good for Xyz, Xyz Reborn is a card and it's not bad.

Overall, I wish you good luck in adapting to the new rules and learning to accept them as I have.

I'm not quite sure what your problem is with Xyz vs Synchros and Fusions. You can still, for example, Summon Number 39: Utopia in the Extra Monster Zone and Rank it up into Number S39: Utopia the Lightning in the same zone. If there isn't a monster in the other Extra Monster Zone, you could even switch which EMZ your Xyz is in while Ranking it up.

Anyway, the new rules are a bit of a hassle for some decks, I'll admit. For example, my Paleozoic deck had a really good play with the old rules. Basically it was a very common situation for me to be able to get 4 level 2s out and I'd overlay 2 of them for Opabinia, search for a trap and activate it from my hand to Summon another Level 2. Then I'd overlay the 3 Level 2s for Anomalocaris, and basically I got the value from Opabinia's trap, and I have a search next turn. The trap you search off Opabinia the second time can be used to trigger Anomalocaris' effect and basically you got a load of plusses that you just don't when you are forced to just overlay all 4 of the Level 2s into Anomalocaris.

To work around this, I'm increasing the maindeck presence of my deck. For example, I recently got a Majesty's Fiend, which prevents most monsters from activating their effects, but doesn't stop Anomal or Opab since they are unaffected by monster effects. I also plan on getting a Herald of Pure Light, a Rank 2 monster that can add my 1 copy of Majesty's from my Grave to hand should I mill it with any of my many mill effects. Since my deck rarely Normal Summons, I can then just Tribute the Pure Light for Majesty's to clear my Extra Monster Zone.

That is an example of me leaning more heavily on my main deck because of the new rules. I recommend you try something similar. You could also focus on using a lot of revival cards since Extra Deck monsters that are revived go to the Main Monster Zone. While this may not be so good for Xyz, Xyz Reborn is a card and it's not bad.

Overall, I wish you good luck in adapting to the new rules and learning to accept them as I have.

[pretending to be an SJW that watched Alex Jones] You've been brainwashed by the patriarchy, you've been made to believe false things by those Reptilians BECAUSE THE FROGS ARE GAY.

My point was I think it was just too much for Konami to restrict the Summoning mechanics of this game whereas before everyone adapted to the new mechanics just fine and on their own. I'll adapt to Link Monsters in time and especially after they make more and better ones then what we have now, at least until we get ULTRA SUPER MONSTERS that have to be ULTRA SUPER SUMMONED with RED CARD FRAMES.

So I tried Dueling Book the other day, trying out some new Decks, checking in on older Decks and I noticed something... THAT STUPID RULE KONAMI MADE REGARDING HOW YOU CAN ONLY SPECIAL SUMMON MONSTERS FROM THE EXTRA DECK TO THE EXTRA MONSTER ZONE OR A ZONE POINTED TO BY A LINK MONSTER.

That rule to me is so stupid (and yes I am aware that the rule change came with the Extra Monster Zone), my point is that, most older Decks now or even Decks from just the ARC-V era now NEED Link Monsters in order to function, the generic Link Monsters Konami are making right now just don't do enough to support the mechanic but I know they will make generic splashable Link Monsters that every Deck can and probably will run.

But back to that rule, there's almost no work around for it right now and again playing Link Monsters is the only real way to play an older Deck, and especially a Deck that relies on Fusion, Synchro, or Xyz Monsters. I don't think Pendulum Monsters were as hard hit as everyone says they are you can still Pendulum Summon up to 5 from your hand plus 1 from the Extra Deck, so if anything Link Monsters actually help out Pendulums. Fusions and Synchros are a little encumbered by this rule, but worst off of all are Xyz Monsters, as you can still use just 1 Extra Monster Zone to Special Summon multiple Fusion or Synchro Monsters by using what you control in that Extra Monster Zone and sending to the GY, banishing it, or rarely returning It to the Extra Deck for that Summon or even use them as LInk Material for a Link Monster, but for Xyz Monsters considering you need to overlay their materials on the field instead of taking them off the field, if you have 1 Xyz in the Extra Monster Zone and you want to Xyz Summon another monster, then you either need to get rid of the 1 you already control or hope the other Xyz Monster has an Xyz Evolution condition ("You can also Xyz Summon this card by using whatever as the material") because then and only then you could use the first Xyz Monster to Summon another one.

I heard that Konami made that rule for Link Monsters as to "convince" players to pick up those new cards and to slow down the game, but that's stupid as we've been getting new mechanics since 2009 (starting with Synchros, then Xyz, next came Pendulums, and now Links) and each time Konami just kept supporting the new mechanic gradually at first giving fairly easy to use generic cards of that mechanic to the players and any older Decks were not directly affected by this but it was more convenient to use the newer cards instead of the older ones. This rule that restricts Summoning monsters from the Extra Deck to the Extra Monster Zone or a zone pointed to by Link Monsters just seems like they're trying to hard to do something that has always happened naturally and on its own. Even in the OCG right now a lot of Decks that are being used have either little or no focus on Link Summoning and I think its for some of the reasons I just stated but possibly more, and to be honest If we didn't have that stupid rule I think Link Monsters would just end up like every other game mechanic we have; it'll get used in favor of older mechanics while not impeding them, and eventually Konami will make them very good and fun to use and I hope Konami does fix this in the near future.

These were my precise complaints when Links got released. It convinced me to stop playing the game.

I personally like the mechanic (HEAR ME OUT BEFORE YOU KLL ME)

• It makes Pendulums more interesting (especially with now that the Pendulum Zones are in main Spell/Trap Zones)
  • It buffs Equip Decks a bit since they can't be put face-down
  • It buffs Ritual Decks since they don't have to care
  • It buffs non-Extra Deck Special Summoning Decks that are also usually budget Decks made by players who can't afford it
  • It buffs erratically leveled archetypes that would usually have trouble with Synchro and Xyz Summoning, like Pendulum Decks (There better be Link Pendulum Decks)
  • They're pretty easy to get out and don't hold up your monsters as Materials like Xyz did, so after a year or so things are definitely going to be better than they were.
  • Breaking Decks means they can fix Decks that were already broken like they did with several old archetypes in Arc-V.
  • It makes zone placement matter
  • IT MAKES ZONE PLACEMENT MATTER
  • Zone Placement mattering opens up design space for several cards, such as Continuous and Field Spells that weren't able to limit themselves to what monsters would be affected.

Despite what Draconus says I personally think it's going to be a positive change to the game. There's a lot of potential here, so I'm feeling positive.

Just for record, a lot of older decks don't care because they can't summon more than 1 monster from the Extra Deck to the field at a time anyways :)))

I don't really get how you think Pend Summoning up to 5 from hand is supposed to be good, but sure w/e

Re: XYZs While you are correct, also consider that XYZs at the current time have the best ability to Link Summon out of all the old mechanics due to having the best and most easily accessible spam effects.

You are at least correct about many decks from Arc-V suffering immensely, as many Pendulum decks at the time were designed specifically around summoning them from the Extra Deck.

Although I try to avoid those corners of the internet as much as possible, isn't Alex Jones like the polar opposite of an SJW

• It makes Pendulums more interesting (especially with now that the Pendulum Zones are in main Spell/Trap Zones)
  • It buffs non-Extra Deck Special Summoning Decks that are also usually budget Decks made by players who can't afford it
  • It buffs erratically leveled archetypes that would usually have trouble with Synchro and Xyz Summoning, like Pendulum Decks (There better be Link Pendulum Decks)
  • They're pretty easy to get out and don't hold up your monsters as Materials like Xyz did, so after a year or so things are definitely going to be better than they were.
  • Breaking Decks means they can fix Decks that were already broken like they did with several old archetypes in Arc-V.
  • Zone Placement mattering opens up design space for several cards, such as Continuous and Field Spells that weren't able to limit themselves to what monsters would be affected.

Despite what Draconus says I personally think it's going to be a positive change to the game. There's a lot of potential here, so I'm feeling positive.

While I do think the mechanic is interesting...

Re: Equip That does like barely anything

Re: Rituals Just because other decks are weaker, most of which also weren't good in the first place, doesn't mean Rituals stop being shitty

Re: Breaking decks What is this actually supposed to mean

I still think it's an unnecessary rule change, they should have just pushed this mechanic the way they pushed Xyz Monsters and even Pendulums and like before we would have all just played the newer cards anyway.

If anything they should start using a rotating format like MTG or Pokémon do, that way they can make sure the only cards we play are the one they want us to play and it gives them an excuse to reprint certain high-powered and splashable cards.

I still think it's an unnecessary rule change, they should have just pushed this mechanic the way they pushed Xyz Monsters and even Pendulums and like before we would have all just played the newer cards anyway.

If anything they should start using a rotating format like MTG or Pokémon do, that way they can make sure the only cards we play are the one they want us to play and it gives them an excuse to reprint certain high-powered and splashable cards.

How about you just shut up and quit yugioh if you have such an issue with it?

I tried approaching this situation nicely for once but then you start promoting rotating formats and that is a big no-no!

Seriously, you mention yu-gi-oh getting rotating formats again and I will hunt you down and funking kill you and all your family

How about you just shut up and quit yugioh if you have such an issue with it?

I tried approaching this situation nicely for once but then you start promoting rotating formats and that is a big no-no!

Seriously, you mention yu-gi-oh getting rotating formats again and I will hunt you down and f***ing kill you and all your family

Uh, why do you hate Rotating Formats so much, it seems like a more stream-lined version of what the banlist is, I mean not that long ago the banlist was almost a Rotation when Konami would do them every 6 months or 3 months instead of "whenever they want to" nowadays.

because it ends up making my 10 years of yugioh cards mostly unusable. The reason I play yugioh over other prominent TCGs is because I have a preexisting collection of yugioh cards that I can draw from when building decks. I don't have that in Mtg or Pokemon, and because of their rotating formats, I never will.

In the language of someone who, like myself, is familiar only with the banlist style of changing up formats, "Rotation" is the equivalent of banning every card in the game every 6 months, (or every 2 years or however long your Rotation's cycle is), and then slowly unbanning cards as the company sees fit.]

It's a lot more heavy handed than the banlist style, and I think even more heavy handed than changing the rules as they did with introducing the EMZs. After all, a lot of people considered the new rules to make Burning Abyss literally unplayable, but had we had a Rotating Format, Burning Abyss could have been literally literally unplayable.

because it ends up making my 10 years of yugioh cards mostly unusable. The reason I play yugioh over other prominent TCGs is because I have a preexisting collection of yugioh cards that I can draw from when building decks. I don't have that in Mtg or Pokemon, and because of their rotating formats, I never will.

In the language of someone who, like myself, is familiar only with the banlist style of changing up formats, "Rotation" is the equivalent of banning every card in the game every 6 months, (or every 2 years or however long your Rotation's cycle is), and then slowly unbanning cards as the company sees fit.]

It's a lot more heavy handed than the banlist style, and I think even more heavy handed than changing the rules as they did with introducing the EMZs. After all, a lot of people considered the new rules to make Burning Abyss literally unplayable, but had we had a Rotating Format, Burning Abyss could have been literally literally unplayable.

yeah so I stupidly tried to make this point without thinking, then made an entire forum post with less thought, so I'm sorry and I take back what I said (but for some reason I can't buy a lock your own post from the store) and I was playing Pokémon TCG Online today and got the idea there, again I'm super-sorry about this

The only complaint I have with the new rules, is that we can't really have a fun 3 way duel with friends, because we can't figure out how the 3 fields connect....

I also kind of think the Field Spell Zones should move to columns 1 and 5 (right next to the Extra Monster Zones) so that there's less empty space in the middle, more meat for columns, and more possible design interactions for the arrows..... but at the same time, I think that if enough people really REALLY don't dig the current form of the game, those 2 places will actually be used to open up an Extra Monster Zone for players, and maybe turn off the "Extra Deck monster unlock" function of the arrows in Links..... Who knows? A lot of stuff can always be tweaked.

Though I have to say, I personally like things as they are. Issues will depend more on individual cards more than the mechanic.

I've built Synchro and Xyz decks just fine under these new rules. Things like Heraldic Beasts or Quick Draw. The work-around and placement makes things fun, and less cheap, and let's be honest, those decks were already casual so not much was lost.

In fact, I think some mechanics got an improvement. I saw somebody get Zone locked with Ground Collapse and Ojama Trio, and still be able to Fusion Summon into that brand new 6th place. If anything, Fusions got an advantage there.

The only complaint I have with the new rules, is that we can't really have a fun 3 way duel with friends, because we can't figure out how the 3 fields connect....

I know how but it's a little difficult to explain. However I will try to put it into words.

Basically you put your mats in a triangle and the right Extra Monster Zone on your mat is shared with the left Extra Monster Zone on the mat to your left. And vice versa for the left Extra Monster Zone on your mat and for the Extra Monster Zone that is shared by your two opponents.

And you can do the same for more than 3 players. For 4 players, place your mats in a square, 5 players a pentagon and so on. Just share your left EMZ with the person to your left's right EMZ and your right EMZ with the person to your right's left EMZ. Does that make sense? If not I can draw a picture.

Didn't know this. Pretty cool sheet. Will now proceed to hop between EMZ's wherever possible, and twice when overlaying Prime and Lightning. 

Archived