Noble Arms - Clarent

Armoire

VkP9Xxg.png

[spoiler=Lore]You can only control 1 "Noble Arms - Clarent". Equip only to a "Noble Knight" monster. The equipped monster gains 200 ATK. Each player can only Special Summon monster(s) once per turn while this card is face-up on the field. If this card is in your Graveyard while you control a "Noble Knight" monster: You can target 1 "Noble Knight" monster you control; equip this card to that target. You can only use this effect of "Noble Arms - Clarent" once per turn.

[spoiler=Versions]

Version 1: 
You can only control 1 "Noble Arms - Clarent". Equip only to a "Noble Knight" monster. The equipped monster gains 200 ATK. The opponent cannot place a monster on the field if his/her number of monsters would exceed the number of "Noble Knight" monsters you control. Cards already on the field before this card's activation are unaffected by this effect. If this card is in your Graveyard while you control a "Noble Knight" monster: You can target 1 "Noble Knight" monster you control; equip this card to that target. You can only use this effect of "Noble Arms - Clarent" once per turn.

First post in a long time, motivated by the new Noble Knights support (I apologize for my fixation on Noble Knights).

Created with the intention to give Noble Knights a strong first-turn play and a strong recovery.

This card fixes several problems Noble Knights have, such as:

• Recovering Noble Arms from the Graveyard outside of Artorigus Xyz
  • Fix inconsistencies with cards that need to have their effects activated  by having a Noble Arms equip
  • More searchable than Gwenhwyfar
  • Offers a strong first-turn play that can stall the opponent but not lock them out of options.

[spoiler=Interactions]

The fact that it is an Equip Spell card makes it much better than Gwenhwyfar although both can equip from the Graveyard.

• Bedwyr right now is a worse Borz that can provide OTKs.
    Bedwyr can dump this into the Graveyard first turn. This can equip itself to Bedwyr. This leads to a 1800ATK body and a Kaiser Colosseum Shaddoll Winda effect for an opening play. A soft floodgate that's not broken enough to stop all plays your opponent makes, but enough to slow them down if they can't work around it.
  • Glory of the Noble Knights can search this from the deck, interrupting plays for when you know your opponent is going to special summon more than once for the turn.
  • The ease of searching/dumping this is more reliable than Gwenhwyfar (searchable by Laundsallyn, Bedwyr, Glory, and Borz). Gwenhwyfar can only be searched/dumped by Borz or other monster-dumping cards.
  • Can equip itself to any Noble Knight from the Graveyard to use their effects without fear of being permanently in the Graveyard.

My concern is that this might give Noble Knights too much advantage of they get a nigh-indestructible Artorigus out equipped with this. Hopefully the fact that it cannot re-equip itself on your opponent's turn (in the event it is destroyed) can balance that out--and the fact that it does not give protection or any of the sort. Also an easy target itself.

You realize how stupid this is right?

You made KAISER COLOSSEUM, a BANNED FLOOD GATE, SEARCHABLE.

You surely realized this, deviating from the usual equips by not having the usual protection effect and then keeping it in the archetype, but simultaneously people would be punished for using Noble Knights in a Noble Knights Deck. 

If you controlled Rank 5 King with 4 Equips with the combo, you would have a monster with 3400 ATK with protection while also floodgating your opponent to 1 monster, That's broken on its own with the 2 card combo, but then you have to consider the fact that you can control monsters outside of the archetype and not be affected by the clause.

You can control as many non-Noble Knights as you want, and your opponent is still going to be limited to 1 monster. Not only is that BS, it also is just asking for what Wind Witches and Artifacts were to happen to Noble Knight Medraut and Borz. Maybe it wouldn't be all too good, but players are pretty creative, especially with the new Quick-Play Spell.

I played this Deck when Dino Rabbit was still a thing. I player Artorigus, Gawayn, and the Laundsallyn OTK. I would rather the Deck be good, but not if they're just going to dumb down the Deck even more. Right now, they're a one trick pony that's only benefit is the spectacular artwork. Literally the reason why I invested in the cards.

Anyway, I like the recovery effect you've placed on the card. Reminds me of Gwen, but good. Just that in this context it's a Kaiser Colosseum that your opponent can't get rid of outside of banishing and is searchable. If your opponent can't get rid of it, and you go first, the game would become incredibly degenerate.

You realize how stupid this is right?

If you controlled Rank 5 King with 4 Equips with the combo, you would have a monster with 3400 ATK with protection while also floodgating your opponent to 1 monster, That's broken on its own with the 2 card combo, but then you have to consider the fact that you can control monsters outside of the archetype and not be affected by the clause.

You can control as many non-Noble Knights as you want, and your opponent is still going to be limited to 1 monster. Not only is that BS, it also is just asking for what Wind Witches and Artifacts were to happen to Noble Knight Medraut and Borz. Maybe it wouldn't be all too good, but players are pretty creative, especially with the new Quick-Play Spell.

It never crossed my mind that I was able to control other monsters with this up other than a "Noble Knight" monster. Major oversight on my part. I guess what I was aiming for was something to make Noble Knights competitive in the sense that rather than making them more aggressive/faster, it slows down the opponent more to their speed. Although, after your comments, I understand why the Kaiser Colosseum effect is more potent than I first thought. 

I'm thinking about softening the floodgate to maybe something like:

• Shaddoll Winda's clause to limit the Special Summons to once per turn for both players.
  • Maybe stick on the clause of You can only control "Noble Knight" monsters while this face up card is on the field. 

along with a The opponent cannot place a monster on the field if his/her number of monsters would exceed the number of "Noble Knight" monsters you control +1.

I'm leaning more towards the first one because it seems that the Kaiser Colosseum effect is hard to fix to be more fair. And I think the first one would be more effective in slowing decks down as to not outright locking them down like how it is now.

Thank you, I appreciate your feedback.

You don't actually have to include the Kaiser Colosseum effect. That recovery effect by itself is amazing, but if you really want it this way there's going to have to be several more differences:

• The recovery effect should probably instead banish itself from the GY to Equip another Noble Arm to an appropriate target you control, so it doesn't just recycle itself every turn, but at least gets some versatility out of it. This also helps Borz become even more powerful without the Xyz monster, so that's nice. Might open up some plays.
  • You could probably have an effect similar to Vanity's Emptiness, where it can get destroyed if a certain requirement is met, like not controlling another Noble Arm. This could mean that you could activate the GY effect I mentioned above immediately, meaning you get even more utility. If your opponent would MST or Twin Twisters your other Noble Arms, they would still come back, but this card would be destroyed before they do.

Example:

Noble Arms - Clarent

Equip - Spell

You can only control 1 “Noble Arms - Clarent”. The Equipped monster gains 200 ATK. Your opponent cannot control monsters that would exceed the number of monsters you control. The cards that are already on the field before this card’s activation are unaffected by this effect. If you do not control another “Noble Arms” Equip Spell, destroy this card. You can banish this card from your GY to Equip 1 appropriate “Noble Arms” card from your GY to a “Noble Knight” monster you control. You can only use this effect of "Noble Arms - Clarent" once per turn.

You don't actually have to include the Kaiser Colosseum effect. That recovery effect by itself is amazing, but if you really want it this way there's going to have to be several more differences:

• The recovery effect should probably instead banish itself from the GY to Equip another Noble Arm to an appropriate target you control, so it doesn't just recycle itself every turn, but at least gets some versatility out of it. This also helps Borz become even more powerful without the Xyz monster, so that's nice. Might open up some plays.
  • You could probably have an effect similar to Vanity's Emptiness, where it can get destroyed if a certain requirement is met, like not controlling another Noble Arm. This could mean that you could activate the GY effect I mentioned above immediately, meaning you get even more utility. If your opponent would MST or Twin Twisters your other Noble Arms, they would still come back, but this card would be destroyed before they do.

Example:

Noble Arms - Clarent

Equip - Spell

You can only control 1 “Noble Arms - Clarent”. The Equipped monster gains 200 ATK. Your opponent cannot control monsters that would exceed the number of monsters you control. The cards that are already on the field before this card’s activation are unaffected by this effect. If you do not control another “Noble Arms” Equip Spell, destroy this card. You can banish this card from your GY to Equip 1 appropriate “Noble Arms” card to a “Noble Knight” monster you control. You can only use this effect of "Noble Arms - Clarent" once per turn.

I like the suggestion, however I think having it rely on other Noble Arms defeats its purpose for consistency and giving a strong first-turn play. As you've stated, its recovery effect is good enough. As such, I just removed the extremely potent Kaiser Colosseum effect and replaced it with a much softer floodgate (via Shaddoll Winda). The Noble Knights do not usually Special Summon more than once per turn after using Medraut, so this doesn't necessarily hurt them as much as it would their opponents.

Again, thank you for the feedback and suggestions--and even the effort into making your own version as an example.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived