Train Cards Once Again [8/8] [written]

VCR_CAT

Because I can't just let this deck go.

Heavy Freight Delivery
EARTH / Level 4
Machine / Effect
When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can make its Level become 10 until the end of the turn. You can only Special Summon Machine monsters.  If this card is detached from a Machine Xyz Monster and sent to the GY to activate that monster's effect: You can draw 1 card. You can only use this effect of "Heavy Freight Delivery" once per turn.
ATK 1800 / DEF 1000

Bouncer Boxcar
EARTH / Level 4
Machine / Effect
If this card is sent to the GY: You can activate this effect; your opponent takes no damage for the rest of this turn, also Special Summon this card from your GY, then you take 1000 damage. You can only use this effect of "Bouncer Boxcar" once per turn. Once per turn: You can target 2 EARTH Machine monsters you control; The first target's Level becomes the second target's Level. You can only Special Summon Machine monsters.
ATK 1800 / DEF 1000

Magnum Slug Express
EARTH / Level 10
Machine / Effect
Cannot be Special Summoned from the Deck. You can discard 1 other EARTH Machine monster to Special Summon this card from your hand, but halve this card's ATK and DEF.
ATK 3000 / DEF 3000

Uber Magnabahn
EARTH / Link 2
Linked: Bottom Left / Bottom Right
Machine / Link / Effect
2 EARTH Machine monsters
Gains ATK equal to the total original Levels/Ranks of the monsters used as its Link Materials x 100. If this card is Link Summoned using an Xyz Monster(s) as a Link Material(s): This card gains 500 ATK for each material it had on the field when it was used as a Link Material. Once per turn: You can target 1 EARTH Machine monster in your GY; shuffle that target into your Deck, then draw 1 card.
ATK 800 / DEF 800

Heavy Armored Train Kutoshi
EARTH / Rank 4
Machine / Xyz / Effect
2 Level 4 Machine monsters
Once per turn, if your opponent activates a card or effect that would destroy at least 1 Machine monster you control (Quick Effect): You can detach 1 material from this card; negate that effect, and if you do, destroy that card, then inflict 800 damage to your opponent.
ATK 1800 / DEF 2500

Roundhouse Repairs
Continuous Spell Card
Once per turn: You can send 1 card from your hand to the GY and target 1 Level 4 EARTH Machine monster with 1800 or more ATK in your GY; Special Summon that target. During your Main Phase: You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 Level 4 EARTH Machine monster with 1800 or more ATK in your GY; add that target to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Roundhouse Repairs" once per turn.

Reckless Workshop
Continuous Spell Card
You can add 1 Level 4 EARTH Machine monster with 1800 or more ATK from your Deck to your hand, then shuffle 1 card from your hand into your Deck. You can only use this effect of "Reckless Workshop" once per turn. If this card is destroyed by a monster's effect and sent to the GY: You can target 1 card your opponent controls; destroy it.

Emergency Overtime Engineer
Normal Trap Card
When an EARTH Machine monster is sent from your field to the GY: Target 1 EARTH Machine monster in your GY; Special Summon that target in face-up Defense Position. Except the turn this card was sent to the GY: You can banish this card from your GY; Normal Summon 1 EARTH Machine monster from your hand.

Overall I took some of the cards from a previous thread and spruced them up for the new format, still being careful with the deck's card economy and making sure a strategy with such potent bosses doesn't swarm too easily or go too fast. Overall, the idea is to work and try to weld the Rank 4 side of the deck with its Rank 10 mainstays. Some of the card intentions are pretty obvious; if you can't tell that the level 4's are an attempt to bring Ironwolf into the deck more, while the Spells and Traps are meant to make Hustle Rustle a better card than it already is, as well as offer a bit more compensation for some of its discard effects. But overall, yes these are the cards I came up with to improve the deck's currently lack-luster engine.

Train cards! I love the Rank 10 Train Deck, it's pretty easy to learn how to use it and Summoning those big Xyz monsters is really satisfying. I remember I've used them before Revolving Switchyard, so yeah, I know what this Deck needs. This Deck is able to get a Rank 10 per turn, and it got kinda nerfed because of the Link format.

Let's just review.

Heavy Freight Delivery

When Summoned: its Level becomes 10. Machine restriction. If detached: draw 1 card. Ok, it fits the Archetype as it has 1800 ATK and has the proper name/Attribute/Type. This basically replaces Trolley Olley, which is never used. Poor Train, it had a cute effect. The Normal Summon effect is nice, even though remember that usually Night Express Knight wants to be Normal Summoned, but I guess this might be a good replacement (it still triggers Derricrane). Oh I get it. You XYZ something using the 2 Heavy Freights to have 2 "detaching" effects. Interesting. The Machine restriction is, well, weird; Train Decks usually run Exodius to get a free Level 10, but it may force people to build more in-Archetype Rank 10 Trains. Also, this would slows Shaddoll Trains (mh, Shekhinaga is a Machine, anyway).

Bouncer Boxcar

SS from hand (take 1000 damage). +200 for Xyz. See, this is exactly the kind of card no one plays in a Rank 10 because, you know, it isn't level 10. Special Summoning from hand isn't exactly useful in Trains Decks, because they like to discard a lot due to Switchyard. This will end up being a Trolley Olley, used just because Switchyard Summons level 4 Machines with 1800+ ATK. How to fix this: well, you could either maintain the level 4 idea to play Iron Wolf (by making it so it Summons itself from the GY if a Rank 10 Xyz monster is destroyed/activates its effect) or giving it some kind of protection, instead of the +200 (so someone could Summon Gustav Max, instead of keeping Dora/Spiders to Seven Sins); or it should turn into a level 10 if Summoned.

Magnum Slug Express

Discard 1 EARTH Machine; SS this from hand. Well. That's fair, I guess, but no one cares about having a 1500 ATK instead of a 0 ATK, so I'd keep using Night Express. If you want this card to be used, I'd change it to a Cyber Dragon Summoning effect; with the halving effect. Or you can change it completely, by giving it some kind of recycling/recovery effect.

Uber Magnabahn

+ATK, +ATK. Opt, shuffle a Machine and draw 1 card. Yeah, That's exactly the Link monster a Train Deck would use. I mean, you're gonna use it more for the shuffling effect, because Trains aren't exactly good at making more than a Xyz per turn. But you could make interesting moves. (Example: first turn, with Switchyard. Summoning Night Express, Heavy Freight, with Switchyard Ruffian Railcar; burn for 500, Rank 10 Gustav Max, burn for 2000, Link Uber. It should have (800 + 100x(4+10) + 500) = 2700 ATK. Shuffle Night, draw 1 card, at the end of the turn search Heavy Freight with Ruffian Railcar, repeat.

Roundhouse Repairs

Opt, discard a card and SS a level 4 Train. Banish from GY, add a level 4 Machine from GY. So, you're gonna Summon Railcars to search every turn? I like it. But if you were trying to make level 4 Trains useful, the only ones that would be run at 3 are Ruffian Railcar, and your new Delivery.

Reckless Workshop

Opt, search a level 4 Train, then shuffle a card from hand. When destroyed because of a monster, destroy one card. Yeah, you're definitely trying to make Level 4 Train a thing. They have only one XYZ, though, which isn't bad, but isn't great. I mean, if Level 4 Trains were more like "Swarm the field" you could even use this engine to Link Summon, then Xyz. Yeah, it's an idea, but we'll need more cards. The recovery effect is limited to monster effects only, I'd change it to a simple "when destroyed".

When an Earth Machine is sent to the GY, SS an Earth Machine from GY. Banish Effect, Normal Summon an Earth Machine. First, it needs a "in addition to your Normal Summon/Set", because otherwise the second effect won't make any sense. The first one is pretty good, and splashable into a lot of Decks (Machine/Earth is really common).

Train cards! I love the Rank 10 Train Deck, it's pretty easy to learn how to use it and Summoning those big Xyz monsters is really satisfying. I remember I've used them before Revolving Switchyard, so yeah, I know what this Deck needs. This Deck is able to get a Rank 10 per turn, and it got kinda nerfed because of the Link format.

Let's just review.

Heavy Freight Delivery

Ok, it fits the Archetype as it has 1800 ATK and has the proper name/Attribute/Type. This basically replaces Trolley Olley, which is never used. Poor Train, it had a cute effect. The Normal Summon effect is nice, even though remember that usually Night Express Knight wants to be Normal Summoned, but I guess this might be a good replacement (it still triggers Derricrane). Oh I get it. You XYZ something using the 2 Heavy Freights to have 2 "detaching" effects. Interesting. The Machine restriction is, well, weird; Train Decks usually run Exodius to get a free Level 10, but it may force people to build more in-Archetype Rank 10 Trains. Also, this would slows Shaddoll Trains (mh, Shekhinaga is a Machine, anyway).

Bouncer Boxcar

See, this is exactly the kind of card no one plays in a Rank 10 because, you know, it isn't level 10. Special Summoning from hand isn't exactly useful in Trains Decks, because they like to discard a lot due to Switchyard. This will end up being a Trolley Olley, used just because Switchyard Summons level 4 Machines with 1800+ ATK. How to fix this: well, you could either maintain the level 4 idea to play Iron Wolf (by making it so it Summons itself from the GY if a Rank 10 Xyz monster is destroyed/activates its effect) or giving it some kind of protection, instead of the +200 (so someone could Summon Gustav Max, instead of keeping Dora/Spiders to Seven Sins); or it should turn into a level 10 if Summoned.

Magnum Slug Express

Well. That's fair, I guess, but no one cares about having a 1500 ATK instead of a 0 ATK, so I'd keep using Night Express. If you want this card to be used, I'd change it to a Cyber Dragon Summoning effect; with the halving effect. Or you can change it completely, by giving it some kind of recycling/recovery effect.

Uber Magnabahn

Yeah, That's exactly the Link monster a Train Deck would use. I mean, you're gonna use it more for the shuffling effect, because Trains aren't exactly good at making more than a Xyz per turn. But you could make interesting moves. (Example: first turn, with Switchyard. Summoning Night Express, Heavy Freight, with Switchyard Ruffian Railcar; burn for 500, Rank 10 Gustav Max, burn for 2000, Link Uber. It should have (800 + 100x(4+10) + 500) = 2700 ATK. Shuffle Night, draw 1 card, at the end of the turn search Heavy Freight with Ruffian Railcar, repeat.

Roundhouse Repairs

So, you're gonna Summon Railcars to search every turn? I like it. But if you were trying to make level 4 Trains useful, the only ones that would be run at 3 are Ruffian Railcar, and your new Delivery.

Reckless Workshop

Yeah, you're definitely trying to make Level 4 Train a thing. They have only one XYZ, though, which isn't bad, but isn't great. I mean, if Level 4 Trains were more like "Swarm the field" you could even use this engine to Link Summon, then Xyz. Yeah, it's an idea, but we'll need more cards. The recovery effect is limited to monster effects only, I'd change it to a simple "when destroyed".

First, it needs a "in addition to your Normal Summon/Set", because otherwise the second effect won't make any sense. The first one is pretty good, and splashable into a lot of Decks (Machine/Earth is really common).

Heavy Freight

The level change works off of Special Summon too, and its function wouldn't necessarily hurt Shaddoll Trains. That variant isn't really working around summoning the Dolls themselves too often, but rather using them as materials.

Bouncer

The main intention was to make a card that was focused towards link summoning more, but I could see your point in that having a more dedicated level 4 monster isn't really working towards the deck too much. I reworked Bouncer to be more versatile towards both strategies while also working with a lot of the deck's functions. I put in the damage restriction because, frankly, the Rank 10 pool of monsters is incredibly strong, and I am intentionally being careful with how well Trains can swarm the field. Having them be able to output too many monsters too well would make a deck that's too unfair to go against, and I need to reign them back in some way. With this rework, Bouncer should work better towards making the Link monster an easier monster to go into.

Magnum Slug

I'm not terribly in favor of the Cyber Dragon summon clause, especially in this case. As I said before I need to be careful with their swarming capabilities, but also having a summon clause that doesn't care what your field looks like helps in mid-game strategies a lot more, whereas the cyber dragon clauses can be a bit tiresome to work with later in a match.

Reckless Workshop

I'm going to keep it as only on monster effects. I don't want such a card to punish the opponent for even daring to run anything but Cosmic Cyclone, but having it be on monster destruction is meant primarily to be used with Hustle Rustle and give more incentive to run that card.

Overtime Engineer

Having it say "In Addition to your..." is not necessary, as the effect itself is Normal Summoning the monster. See: Rival Arrival.

Finally, the list of overall changes:

• Bouncer Boxcar received a face-lift.
  • Introduced Kutoshi.

That's fine for most of your cards.

Bouncer is now a powerful and useful Train which - A) could become Level 10 - B) Summons itself from the GY (but the restrictions balance it well)

Rival Arrival has to be used in a Battle Phase, that's why it works - you normally can't Normal Summon in a Battle Phase.

If you used Engineer during a Main Phase, it wouldn't make any sense. But it's a trap, meaning that the effect can be activated during an End Phase/Battle Phase (I guess).

Also, a new Rank 4 Train. It's sure you like them. Maybe Trolley Olley is gonna come back (no it isn't).

Heavy Armored Train Kutoshi

Quick Effect, OPT: detach, negate a card that would destroy a Machine, and burn. Yeah, it's balanced. Not sure if other Machine Decks would Summon this instead of Gear Gigant, they get to choose protection or consistency, at least. I like this card. It's a weaker (but stronger because of the burn) version of Dora, which is right because it's 6 Ranks lower.

Rival Arrival has to be used in a Battle Phase, that's why it works - you normally can't Normal Summon in a Battle Phase.

If you used Engineer during a Main Phase, it wouldn't make any sense. But it's a trap, meaning that the effect can be activated during an End Phase/Battle Phase (I guess).

That's not why. Cards that have an effect that activates and uses a normal summon as the resolving effect do not need to state "In addition to", as the effects themselves act as pseudo-special-summons. You can see it in a lot of cards like Mecha Phantom Beast O-Lion, or the Yosenju Kama's. The text is correct as-is.

Archived