What is your opinion on summon chants in yugioh?

Since Vrains seems to have thrown out summon chants in favor of stating the summoning requirements of a monster, I thought I'd ask how people felt about summon chants and lack there of.

I personally think that good summon chats really help set the mood.

Compare:

Clustering Crystal Dreams will create a new evolution. Become the path its light shines upon! Accel Synchro! Be born, shooting star dragon!

to:

The summoning requirements are Stardust Dragon and 1 synchro tuner monster. Synchro summon, shooting star dragon!

Alternatively, compare:

"Oh Falcon hiding in obscurity, raise your sharpened talons in the face of adversity and spread your wings of rebellion! Xyz Summon! Appear! Rank 4! Raid Raptors - Rise Falcon!"

to:

The summoning requirements are 3 level 4 Winged-Beast Type monsters. Xyz summon. Raid Raptors - Rise Falcon.

I would have used Ultimate Falcon since its summon chant is even better IMO, but I wanted something that's usually Xyz summoned without a rank-up-magic card.

off topic:

According to this article: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Summon_chants_in_Yu-Gi-Oh!_ARC-V

Some of the summon chants for raidraptors in the dub sound like they'd sound good with a good voice actor.

I don't mind lack of summon chants in VRAINS; only issue I have to some extent is the length of how long it takes to summon said monster (announce "arrowheads confirmed", summoning conditions and other stuff). Chants are shorter, but yeah.

Then again, the subbed ones are better for the most part, as I did look at a couple of the ARC-V ones in dubs and wasn't impressed.

===

With that being said, summon chants at least give the monster being summoned with it / player using it some personality, as opposed to being a technical checklist. I honestly prefer having the summon chants in there, but not really bothered with lack of them right now. (Might change if non-Links get shown, but...we'll see)

Summon Chants started out really low-key, like they were only really used now and then for a few note-worthy cards. Then Arc V decided to just toss them in for basically anything remotely resembling a boss, and it got reeeaaalllly out of hand. I'd much rather have no summoning chants than a ridiculous over-saturation. They got really old to listen to almost every episode.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived