Zwischenzug

Guest BGMCANN0N

Guest BGMCANN0N

Zwischenzug
[Continuous Spell]

When this card is activated: Special Summon 1 "Archfiend" monster from your Deck whose card text specifically list "six-sided die", but it cannot attack this turn. Once per turn, when your opponent activates a card or card effect while you control an "Archfiend" monster: You can have the activated effect become "Target 1 'Archfiend' monster your opponent controls, declare a number from 1-6, and roll a six-sided die; destroy it unless you roll the declared number". You can only activate 1 "Zwischenzug" per turn.

[spoiler=Legacy Support and Concept]http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Archfiend
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwischenzug

To clarify, it pertains to the chess-themed Archfiends, probably the most forgettable group of cards Konami had to offer due to how awkward their effects were. The idea with this card is to trigger their terrible dice effects to have a chance to negate your opponent's already derailed card effects, and if you don't negate them well then hopefully you have "Pandemonium" ready to replace your losses.

Yeah, Konami ditched them soon after they were released so this gives them much-needed speed (though I do think they need much more to be viable). Second effect is fine; least you can trigger their effects (and hopefully negate) or at worst, get rid of something before the costs kill your LP. I honestly don't know how the other Archfiends will use the effect though, but...

IDK, they could do better with something that could modulate dice rolls to get their stuff going, but this is fine too.

This card looks really good to me. It turns the Chess Archfiends into an E-Tele-ish "Summon engine", and the second effect gives it a disruptive role. I was about to suggest to destroy the Summoned monster at the end of the turn to stick with Archfiend's destruction gimmick (e.g. Pandemonium, Archfiend Cavalry and Commander), but then the second effect wouldn't be as effective. Perhaps make the monster unable to attack to keep the card on the fair side? Otherwise you will be able to deliver 2000-ATK punches with Terrorking; that or give a Photon Thrasher/Unexpected Dai condition to the Spell.

Regarding the second effect, Continuous Spells cannot have Quick Effects so you will have to remove the "during either player's turn" line in the text. In fact, you don't actually need it because you already give the effect a condition that has to be met to activate the effect. See for example "Verdant Sanctuary", which can activate during either player's turn without having any Quick Effect clause.

Archived